Wireless Problems - Slackware

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems - Slackware ; Hi, I am extremely new to Linux in general, much less slackware. I am trying to get my wireless network up and running on my system. I am not having any luck at all. I know that when I originally ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

  1. Wireless Problems

    Hi, I am extremely new to Linux in general, much less slackware. I am
    trying to get my wireless network up and running on my system. I am
    not having any luck at all. I know that when I originally installed
    slackware 12 it asked for the location of my modem. I selected one,
    but it turns out my wireless adapter is on a mini-pci slot so I am
    guessing it is not COM1. Is there anyone out there who can help me
    set up this network from the ground up. I have a simple broadband
    connection (DSL wireless modem and router). I need to configure my
    system to recognize the adapter and everything. Absoulutely nothing
    figured out yet. Any advice will be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Thad

  2. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-26, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Hi, I am extremely new to Linux in general, much less slackware. I am
    > trying to get my wireless network up and running on my system. I am
    > not having any luck at all. I know that when I originally installed
    > slackware 12 it asked for the location of my modem. I selected one,
    > but it turns out my wireless adapter is on a mini-pci slot so I am
    > guessing it is not COM1. Is there anyone out there who can help me
    > set up this network from the ground up. I have a simple broadband
    > connection (DSL wireless modem and router). I need to configure my
    > system to recognize the adapter and everything. Absoulutely nothing
    > figured out yet. Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Thad

    I may be able to help a little. Run

    dmesg | less

    See if it says anything about your adaptor.

    Hitting "/" and entering a search string in less will facilitate
    the search. Hitting "n" will repeat the search. Or you can just
    page down with space and look for the highlighted strings. q to
    exit.

    Run

    lspci -v

    and see what it says.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  3. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 11:09*am, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-26, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I am extremely new to Linux in general, much less slackware. *I am
    > > trying to get my wireless network up and running on my system. *I am
    > > not having any luck at all. *I know that when I originally installed
    > > slackware 12 it asked for the location of my modem. *I selected one,
    > > but it turns out my wireless adapter is on a mini-pci slot so I am
    > > guessing it is not COM1. *Is there anyone out there who can help me
    > > set up this network from the ground up. *I have a simple broadband
    > > connection (DSL wireless modem and router). *I need to configure my
    > > system to recognize the adapter and everything. *Absoulutely nothing
    > > figured out yet. *Any advice will be appreciated.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Thad

    > I may be able to help a little. Run
    >
    > dmesg | less
    >
    > See if it says anything about your adaptor.
    >
    > Hitting "/" and entering a search string in less will facilitate
    > the search. Hitting "n" will repeat the search. Or you can just
    > page down with space and look for the highlighted strings. q to
    > exit.
    >
    > Run
    >
    > lspci -v
    >
    > and see what it says.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > --
    > calhobbit
    > at gee mail dot com

    Well when I put in the first command, it gives a long list. I don't
    see anything about the Dell WLAN PCMCIA card, but there are allot of
    error messages for bcm43xx. Those would be for the Broadcom network
    adapter, not the wireless adapter right?

    when I type in the lspci -v the very last section is 03:00.0 Network
    controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    Controller (rev 03)

    Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 004

    Memorry at 24000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8k]

  4. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:50:49 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:

    > Well when I put in the first command, it gives a long list. I don't see
    > anything about the Dell WLAN PCMCIA card,

    There's really no such thing, that's just a badge name to put on the
    box. Linux is concerend with what chipset is in the machinery.

    > but there are allot of error
    > messages for bcm43xx. Those would be for the Broadcom network adapter,
    > not the wireless adapter right?

    Wrong. It is the wireless card driver. Your system is loading the
    bcm43xx wireless driver, but it doesn't have the firmware installed (I
    bet) and so throws an error.

    > when I type in the lspci -v the very last section is 03:00.0 Network
    > controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    > Controller (rev 03)

    And the bcm43xx driver is the correct one for that chipset.

    I'm betting you don't have the firmware installed (which cannot legally
    be distributed except by Broadcom or an OEM, so Slack doesn't contain it).

    The firmware is contained in the bcmwl5.sys (check the name) file that
    comes in the Windows driver set. You need to get and install the
    bcm43xx-firmware-cutter package, and then run that, giving it the
    location of the .sys file. It will extract the firmware to the correct
    location (under /lib/modules) and after a reboot your wireless should be
    fully working.

    I'm certain that you will generate more questions as you go, but the
    above directions should start you on the road to success.

    Bonne chance,
    Mark

  5. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 12:07*pm, Mark South wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:50:49 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:
    > > Well when I put in the first command, it gives a long list. *I don't see
    > > anything about the Dell WLAN PCMCIA card,

    > There's really no such thing, that's just a badge name to put on the
    > box. *Linux is concerend with what chipset is in the machinery.
    >
    > > but there are allot of error
    > > messages for bcm43xx. *Those would be for the Broadcom network adapter,
    > > not the wireless adapter right?

    > Wrong. *It is the wireless card driver. *Your system is loading the
    > bcm43xx wireless driver, but it doesn't have the firmware installed (I
    > bet) and so throws an error.
    >
    > > when I type in the lspci -v the very last section is 03:00.0 Network
    > > controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    > > Controller (rev 03)

    > And the bcm43xx driver is the correct one for that chipset.
    >
    > I'm betting you don't have the firmware installed (which cannot legally
    > be distributed except by Broadcom or an OEM, so Slack doesn't contain it).
    >
    > The firmware is contained in the bcmwl5.sys (check the name) file that
    > comes in the Windows driver set. *You need to get and install the
    > bcm43xx-firmware-cutter package, and then run that, giving it the
    > location of the .sys file. *It will extract the firmware to the correct
    > location (under /lib/modules) and after a reboot your wireless should be
    > fully working.
    >
    > I'm certain that you will generate

    more questions as you go, but the
    > above directions should start you on the road to success.
    >
    > Bonne chance,
    > Mark

    Thanks for the input so far... how do I do it? I no longer have
    windows on the system, so I don't have the windows driver sets on
    there. I am sure those are just a click away at the windows upgrade
    site. How do I get and install the bcm43xx-firmware-cutter package?
    you also say I would have to give it the location of the .sys file.
    where do I find that? Once again thanks for the help

  6. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-26, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 11:09*am, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-26, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi, I am extremely new to Linux in general, much less slackware. *I am
    >> > trying to get my wireless network up and running on my system. *I am
    >> > not having any luck at all. *I know that when I originally installed
    >> > slackware 12 it asked for the location of my modem. *I selected one,
    >> > but it turns out my wireless adapter is on a mini-pci slot so I am
    >> > guessing it is not COM1. *Is there anyone out there who can help me
    >> > set up this network from the ground up. *I have a simple broadband
    >> > connection (DSL wireless modem and router). *I need to configure my
    >> > system to recognize the adapter and everything. *Absoulutely nothing
    >> > figured out yet. *Any advice will be appreciated.

    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Thad

    >> I may be able to help a little. Run
    >>
    >> dmesg | less
    >>
    >> See if it says anything about your adaptor.
    >>
    >> Hitting "/" and entering a search string in less will facilitate
    >> the search. Hitting "n" will repeat the search. Or you can just
    >> page down with space and look for the highlighted strings. q to
    >> exit.
    >>
    >> Run
    >>
    >> lspci -v
    >>
    >> and see what it says.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> --
    >> calhobbit
    >> at gee mail dot com

    > Well when I put in the first command, it gives a long list. I don't
    > see anything about the Dell WLAN PCMCIA card, but there are allot of
    > error messages for bcm43xx. Those would be for the Broadcom network
    > adapter, not the wireless adapter right?
    >
    > when I type in the lspci -v the very last section is 03:00.0 Network
    > controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    > Controller (rev 03)
    >
    > Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 004
    >
    > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    >
    > Memorry at 24000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8k]

    I've never done wireless, Thad, so you'll be getting some much better
    advice any time now.

    But you should post those error messages from dmesg.

    I have a different sort of wireless connection here, to clearwire, that
    uses ethernet to connect to the modem.

    The card is configured by the kernel, and the interface is
    configured by dhcpcd (a Slackware package), so I'd imagine that
    you have to make sure your kernel has the right functionaliites
    compiled in and/or as modules, and whatever the WLAN equivalent
    of dhcpcd is.

    less /boot/config

    I use the "huge" non-smp kernel, it has this:

    #
    # Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
    #
    CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
    CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS_RTNETLINK=y

    You could check out the file .....//Documentation/Configure.help
    Which is usually very helpful in such matters.

    But really, just keep searching on your bos and the Web and wait
    for someone who knows what they are talking about to respond
    here.

    I hope that your hardware is supported...

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  7. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 12:21*pm, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-26, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > >> I may be able to help a little. Run

    > >> dmesg | less

    > >> See if it says anything about your adaptor.

    > >> Hitting "/" and entering a search string in less will facilitate
    > >> the search. Hitting "n" will repeat the search. Or you can just
    > >> page down with space and look for the highlighted strings. q to
    > >> exit.

    > >> Run

    > >> lspci -v

    > >> and see what it says.

    > >> Tom

    > >> --
    > >> calhobbit
    > >> at gee mail dot com

    > > * Well when I put in the first command, it gives a long list. *I don't
    > > see anything about the Dell WLAN PCMCIA card, but there are allot of
    > > error messages for bcm43xx. *Those would be for the Broadcom network
    > > adapter, not the wireless adapter right?

    > > when I type in the lspci -v the very last section is 03:00.0 Network
    > > controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    > > Controller (rev 03)

    > > Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 004

    > > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16

    > > Memorry at 24000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8k]

    > I've never done wireless, Thad, so you'll be getting some much better
    > advice any time now.
    >
    > But you should post those error messages from dmesg.
    >
    > I have a different sort of wireless connection here, to clearwire, that
    > uses ethernet to connect to the modem.
    >
    > The card is configured by the kernel, and the interface is
    > configured by dhcpcd (a Slackware package), so I'd imagine that
    > you have to make sure your kernel has the right functionaliites
    > compiled in and/or as modules, and whatever the WLAN equivalent
    > of dhcpcd is.
    >
    > less /boot/config
    >
    > I use the "huge" non-smp kernel, it has this:
    >
    > #
    > # Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
    > #
    > CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
    > CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS_RTNETLINK=y
    >
    > You could check out the file .....//Documentation/Configure.help
    > Which is usually very helpful in such matters.
    >
    > But really, just keep searching on your bos and the Web and wait
    > for someone who knows what they are talking about to respond
    > here.
    >
    > I hope that your hardware is supported...
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > --
    > calhobbit
    > at gee mail dot com- Hide quoted text -

    My /boot/config files has the following parameters for wireless

    #
    # Wireless 802.11b Pcmcia/Cardbus cards support
    #
    CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=M
    CONFIG_PCMCIA_SPECTRUC=M
    COMFIG_AIRO_CS=M
    CONFIG_PCMCIA_ATMEL=M
    CONFIG_PCMCIA_WL3501=M

    Is this right?

  8. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 12:45*pm, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 12:21*pm, Tom N wrote:

    > > > * Well when I put in the first command, it gives a long list. *I don't
    > > > see anything about the Dell WLAN PCMCIA card, but there are allot of
    > > > error messages for bcm43xx. *Those would be for the Broadcom network
    > > > adapter, not the wireless adapter right?

    > > > when I type in the lspci -v the very last section is 03:00.0 Network
    > > > controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
    > > > Controller (rev 03)

    > > > Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 004

    > > > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16

    > > > Memorry at 24000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8k]

    > > I've never done wireless, Thad, so you'll be getting some much better
    > > advice any time now.

    > > But you should post those error messages from dmesg.

    > > I have a different sort of wireless connection here, to clearwire, that
    > > uses ethernet to connect to the modem.

    > > The card is configured by the kernel, and the interface is
    > > configured by dhcpcd (a Slackware package), so I'd imagine that
    > > you have to make sure your kernel has the right functionaliites
    > > compiled in and/or as modules, and whatever the WLAN equivalent
    > > of dhcpcd is.

    > > less /boot/config

    > > I use the "huge" non-smp kernel, it has this:

    > > #
    > > # Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
    > > #
    > > CONFIG_NET_RADIO=y
    > > CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS_RTNETLINK=y

    > > You could check out the file .....//Documentation/Configure.help
    > > Which is usually very helpful in such matters.

    > > But really, just keep searching on your bos and the Web and wait
    > > for someone who knows what they are talking about to respond
    > > here.

    > > I hope that your hardware is supported...

    > > Tom

    > > --
    > > calhobbit
    > > at gee mail dot com- Hide quoted text -

    > My /boot/config files has the following parameters for wireless
    >
    > #
    > # Wireless 802.11b Pcmcia/Cardbus cards support
    > #
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=M
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_SPECTRUC=M
    > COMFIG_AIRO_CS=M
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_ATMEL=M
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_WL3501=M
    >
    > Is this right?- Hide quoted text -

    I have downloaded this file
    http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip
    as adviced on another post that I found. I am not sure how to
    extract .zip files in slackware though.

    Also the forum says to run the command sudo bcm43XX_fwcutter but I
    don't have that command. It goes further to say that I should use apt-
    get but it says that command is not found either?

    Am I just completely missing something from the install. I had to
    make 3 install disk and 3 source disk while burning the iso but so far
    for the install procedure I only used the first two. What are the
    other disk for??

  9. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-26, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 12:21*pm, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-26, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > My /boot/config files has the following parameters for wireless
    >
    > #
    > # Wireless 802.11b Pcmcia/Cardbus cards support
    > #
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=M
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_SPECTRUC=M
    > COMFIG_AIRO_CS=M
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_ATMEL=M
    > CONFIG_PCMCIA_WL3501=M
    >
    > Is this right?

    Don't know. Listen to Mark. He know's what he is talking about.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  10. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-26, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > Thanks for the input so far... how do I do it? I no longer have
    > windows on the system, so I don't have the windows driver sets on
    > there. I am sure those are just a click away at the windows upgrade
    > site. How do I get and install the bcm43xx-firmware-cutter package?
    > you also say I would have to give it the location of the .sys file.
    > where do I find that? Once again thanks for the help

    Have a look at /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/Documentation/networking/bcm43xx.txt

    -RW

  11. Re: Wireless Problems

    I have no experince from your card, but think I can answer your questions
    anyway...

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > I have downloaded this file
    > http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip
    > as adviced on another post that I found. I am not sure how to
    > extract .zip files in slackware though.

    There is a command called unzip to unpack files. To extract the contents
    of the file in your current directory type:

    unzip bcmwl5sys.zip

    Maybe it would be a good idea to list the contents of the file first:

    unzip -l bcmwl5sys.zip

    > Also the forum says to run the command sudo bcm43XX_fwcutter but I
    > don't have that command.

    You will have to install it first then.

    > It goes further to say that I should use apt-
    > get but it says that command is not found either?

    Apt-get is a command for debian based distributions to install pre-made
    packages. The best thing for you to do is probably to download, compile
    and install the application. Unfortunately I have no experience from
    bcm43XX_fwcutter and a quick search at google didn't tell where to get it.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  12. Re: Wireless Problems

    Hallo, crawfordthad,

    Du meintest am 26.01.08:

    > I have downloaded this file
    > http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip
    > as adviced on another post that I found. I am not sure how to
    > extract .zip files in slackware though.

    I prefer the "midnight commander" mc.
    I move the cursor to the name of the file and then press the "enter" key
    - that's nearly all.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  13. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-26, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > I have downloaded this file
    > http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip
    > as adviced on another post that I found. I am not sure how to
    > extract .zip files in slackware though.

    unzip

    But first, check out what's inside so you know where the files will be unpacked to:

    zipinfo -l

    > Also the forum says to run the command sudo bcm43XX_fwcutter but I
    > don't have that command.

    Me either (12.0). But I think that it involves running a command with
    root priveleges.

    > It goes further to say that I should use apt-
    > get but it says that command is not found either?

    apt-get is Debian's package tool.

    > Am I just completely missing something from the install. I had to
    > make 3 install disk and 3 source disk while burning the iso but so far
    > for the install procedure I only used the first two. What are the
    > other disk for??

    The third one has KDE stuff and the "extra" stuff. This one, in
    "extra" looks like it might be relevant:

    ../linux-wlan-ng:
    total 624K
    512 linux-wlan-ng-028_26215-i4.asc
    623K linux-wlan-ng-028_26215-i4.tgz
    1.0K linux-wlan-ng-028_26215-i4.txt

    /cdrom/extra/linux-wlan-ng# less *.txt
    linux-wlan-ng: linux-wlan-ng (drivers for Prism based wireless cards)
    linux-wlan-ng:
    linux-wlan-ng: The linux-wlan package is a linux device driver and subsystem package
    linux-wlan-ng: that is intended to provide the full range of IEEE 802.11 MAC
    linux-wlan-ng: management capabilities for use in user-mode utilities and scripts.
    linux-wlan-ng: The package currently supports the Intersil 802.11b Prism2, Prism2.5,
    linux-wlan-ng: and Prism3 reference designs for PCMCIA, PCI, and USB.
    linux-wlan-ng:
    linux-wlan-ng:
    linux-wlan-ng:
    linux-wlan-ng:

    You can get it at www.linuxpackages.net or one of the slackware mirrors.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  14. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 2:15*pm, hel...@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:
    > Hallo, crawfordthad,
    >
    > Du meintest am 26.01.08:
    >
    > > I have downloaded this file
    > >http://sidulus.textdrive.com/bcmwl5sys.zip
    > > as adviced on another post that I found. *I am not sure how to
    > > extract .zip files in slackware though.

    > I prefer the "midnight commander" mc.
    > I move the cursor to the name of the file and then press the "enter" key *
    > - that's nearly all.
    >
    > Viele Gruesse
    > Helmut
    >
    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Okay, so I was able to figure out where to find the b43-fwcutter but
    for some reason I can't get it tar? would it have to be copied to a
    certain place to tar properly.

    I moved the install file to my /home/Desktop folder

    then I am using the command tar -zxvf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    I get the error message
    gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1

    any advise?

    This is a little more of a pain that I thought...Oh well...it makes it
    that much more fun

  15. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:46:00 -0800 (PST), crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    >Okay, so I was able to figure out where to find the b43-fwcutter but
    >for some reason I can't get it tar? would it have to be copied to a
    >certain place to tar properly.
    >
    > I moved the install file to my /home/Desktop folder
    >
    >then I am using the command tar -zxvf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    RTFM! )

    tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  16. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 7:08*pm, Grant wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:46:00 -0800 (PST), crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > >Okay, so I was able to figure out where to find the b43-fwcutter but
    > >for some reason I can't get it tar? *would it have to be copied to a
    > >certain place to tar properly.

    > > I moved the install file to my /home/Desktop folder

    > >then I am using the command tar -zxvf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    > RTFM! )
    >
    > tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2
    >
    > Grant.
    > --http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

    Okay, so I am not so sure what RTFM! is, but I am sure it is a little
    bit of a "giggle" on my behalf, so thanks for that one. Either way
    I've got the correct arguments for the tar file but obviously the
    command does not work. I am sure there is someway I have to install
    the file somehow. Any ideas.

    Let me say that I am sure allot of the questions that I am asking are
    trivial to some. We all have to start somewere right? Any assistance
    or directions that someone can give me to get my wireless up and
    running from this point would really be appreciated...

    Thad

  17. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 7:33*pm, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 7:08*pm, Grant wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:46:00 -0800 (PST), crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > > >Okay, so I was able to figure out where to find the b43-fwcutter but
    > > >for some reason I can't get it tar? *would it have to be copied to a
    > > >certain place to tar properly.

    > > > I moved the install file to my /home/Desktop folder

    > > >then I am using the command tar -zxvf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    > > RTFM! )

    > > tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    > > Grant.
    > > --http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

    > Okay, so I am not so sure what RTFM! is, but I am sure it is a little
    > bit of a "giggle" on my behalf, so thanks for that one. *Either way
    > I've got the correct arguments for the tar file but obviously the
    > command does not work. *I am sure there is someway I have to install
    > the file somehow. *Any ideas.
    >
    > Let me say that I am sure allot of the questions that I am asking are
    > trivial to some. *We all have to start somewere right? *Any assistance
    > or directions that someone can give me to get my wireless up and
    > running from this point would really be appreciated...
    >
    > Thad

    Let me rephrase the last post...the tar command worked... but the sudo
    b43_fwcutter command isn't working.... Will the install program work
    for this? Is there a spectial place to do it?

  18. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:39:53 -0800 (PST), crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    >On Jan 26, 7:33*pm, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    >> > RTFM! )

    >> > tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    >> > Grant.
    >> > --http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

    >> Okay, so I am not so sure what RTFM! is, but I am sure it is a little
    >> bit of a "giggle" on my behalf, so thanks for that one.

    I might have said: 'man tar', but tar's man page is challenging

    >Let me rephrase the last post...the tar command worked... but the sudo
    >b43_fwcutter command isn't working.... Will the install program work
    >for this? Is there a spectial place to do it?

    I downloaded http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-010.tar.bz2 to
    have a look...

    You followed the README? I don't have the hardware so cannot test for
    you, the instructions seemed clear enough. Run make to build the binary,
    then try:

    $ ./b43-fwcutter -l
    b43-fwcutter version 010

    Extracting firmware is possible from these binary driver files:

    b43legacy wl_apsta.o 295.14 e08665c5c5b66beb9c3b2dd54aa80cb3
    b43 wl_apsta_mimo.o 410.2160 cb8d70972b885b1f8883b943c0261a3c

    You at this point? Next grab the drivers and extract the firmware as
    described in the README...

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  19. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-27, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Jan 26, 7:08*pm, Grant wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:46:00 -0800 (PST), crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >> >Okay, so I was able to figure out where to find the b43-fwcutter but
    >> >for some reason I can't get it tar? *would it have to be copied to a
    >> >certain place to tar properly.

    >> > I moved the install file to my /home/Desktop folder

    >> >then I am using the command tar -zxvf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    >> RTFM! )
    >>
    >> tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2
    >>
    >> Grant.
    >> --http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

    > Okay, so I am not so sure what RTFM! is, but I am sure it is a little
    > bit of a "giggle" on my behalf, so thanks for that one. Either way
    > I've got the correct arguments for the tar file but obviously the
    > command does not work. I am sure there is someway I have to install
    > the file somehow. Any ideas.
    >
    > Let me say that I am sure allot of the questions that I am asking are
    > trivial to some. We all have to start somewere right? Any assistance
    > or directions that someone can give me to get my wireless up and
    > running from this point would really be appreciated...
    >
    > Thad

    Read The ****ing Manual :-)

    as in

    man tar

    But the man pages are mostly cheat sheets for people who already understand
    the application, and that is true in spades for the tar man page.

    See

    info tar

    You were clsse. gzip and bzip2 are just different compression programs.

    What's in the tar file?

    I see. It's a source packages.

    cd to the directory in the newly-unpacked sources with the configure
    script in it.

    Read the README and any other similar docs that are there.
    Then

    /configure --help

    too see if there are any options you might need or want.

    Then run these commands:

    script #too keep a record if there are any problems - see man script

    /configure #if this fails, see configure.log

    make

    su - # then enter root password

    make install

    Then hit Ctrl-d to log out of root and again to end the script session

    Tom

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  20. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:33:55 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:

    >> >then I am using the command tar -zxvf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    >> tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    The difference is that the z option to the tar command uses the gzip
    program to decompress the archive. That is normal for
    somearchivename.tar.gz but for somearchivename.tar.bz2 tar needs to be
    told to use the bzip2 program we do that with the j option/switch.

    if you type man tar it can explain some of that.

    > Let me say that I am sure allot of the questions that I am asking are
    > trivial to some. We all have to start somewere right? Any assistance
    > or directions that someone can give me to get my wireless up and running
    > from this point would really be appreciated...

    If you are having a few difficulties following instructions because you
    don't understand there are a few places on the Internet that can explain
    them easier. (Me just realises I don't know any off the top of my head)

    Read the FAQ in this group and the Slackware book

    This page just lists commands with a short description beside each one
    http://www.linuxguide.it/linux_commands_line_en.htm#go

    I dare someone to present me with a better page :P

    Richard James

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast