Wireless Problems - Slackware

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems - Slackware ; On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:48:44 +0900, ChuMaiFat wrote: > You read the original email to mean that this newsgroup is infested with > a couple of people from a community of runaway slaves? While I doubt that "a couple" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Wireless Problems

  1. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:48:44 +0900, ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > You read the original email to mean that this newsgroup is infested with
    > a couple of people from a community of runaway slaves?


    While I doubt that "a couple" can legitimately count as an infestation,
    there is more than one runaway slave here. I ran away from daily wage
    slavery and I know of at least an infestation^W^Wa couple of others.

    Speaking of wireless problems, has anyone here ever replaced the internal
    antenna on their flaptop? 'Cos it look like mine is hosed, leaving me
    marooned in the sea of wireless access points without a paddle.

  2. Re: Wireless Problems

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > I read what was there, unlike yourself, I did not assume that the writer
    > had intended to write anything other than what he did.


    Well, that's not quite true, is it? Below is your original reply.

    > Obviously in this case it was the 'Maroons' as a specific
    > social grouping of people, those living on mountaintops, as opposed to
    > some of the varying shades of red.


    That's what you *assumed* the writer meant. In the context of his
    original post, this is clearly incorrect.

    > As you have in the past pointed out, English is not your first language,
    > mayhap you misread maroon for moron.


    If you can't do better than this to extricate yourself from your moronic
    reply, you clearly are a ****ing idiot.

    With kind regards

    Chu


  3. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:36:39 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:


    > As you have in the past pointed out, English is not your first language,
    > mayhap you misread maroon for moron. To establish the intent of the writer
    > you would have to ask him. As his original post was, as far as I could
    > judge published as an insult, it may well be that the implication that
    > those it was directed at were members of a particular social group, was
    > intended as an added insult. Again, one would have to seek elucidation
    > from the original author.


    and so I shall, "maroon" in some circles of contemporary Canadian society
    is used to describe someone of less than median intelligence. It is a
    phonetic variation on "moron". There is no reference intended, implied
    etc. to any societal or racial group, other than that group in society
    known as "dumbasses"

    HTH

    > Perhaps, with the current climate of this
    > newsgroup it would be better were everyone to refrain from making
    > inflammatory posts, but we are all human and therefore fallible.


    oh horse****, this is usenest and we are blessed in this ng with one
    individual who -aside from being an international man of mystery- is
    infallible

  4. Re: Wireless Problems

    mr.b wrote:

    > and so I shall, "maroon" in some circles of contemporary Canadian
    > society is used to describe someone of less than median intelligence.
    > It is a phonetic variation on "moron". *There is no reference
    > intended, implied etc. to any societal or racial group, other than
    > that group in society known as "dumbasses"
    >

    Thank you for the Clarification.
    >
    >> Perhaps, with the current climate of this
    >> newsgroup it would be better were everyone to refrain from making
    >> inflammatory posts, but we are all human and therefore fallible.

    >
    > oh horse****, this is usenest and we are blessed in this ng with one
    > individual who -aside from being an international man of mystery- is
    > infallible


    'Twas but a passing fancy for temporary surcease.

    ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > Two Ravens wrote:
    >
    >> I read what was there, unlike yourself, I did not assume that the
    >> writer had intended to write anything other than what he did.

    >
    > Well, that's not quite true, is it? Below is your original reply.
    >
    >> Obviously in this case it was the 'Maroons' as a specific
    >> social grouping of people, those living on mountaintops, as opposed
    >> to some of the varying shades of red.

    >
    > That's what you assumed the writer meant. In the context of his
    > original post, this is clearly incorrect.


    Why do you presume that that is what I assumed the writer meant? He
    wrote, "...you've learned quickly that this group is infested with a
    couple of maroons who apparently can't spell their last names...". I
    repeat, "I did not assume that the writer had intended to write
    anything other than what he did".

    'mr. b' has now clarified the matter for us, he wrote, (obviously
    intentionally), "maroons".

    I had put forward an opinion that it was the literal translation
    of "Maroons", "...those living on mountaintops..." that may have been
    intended, whereas in fact it turns out to have been a usage common in
    Canada, (I had earlier opined),

    > This vocabulary tends to be used by those who speak the varying
    > localised forms of the language in differing ways, so to assume that
    > the usage of 'maroon' in the specific case quoted was incorrect, one
    > would need to first discover what the intent of the writer was.


    It has therefore been established by 'mr.b' that the intended spelling
    and/or usage was in fact 'maroons', therefore I repeat my
    question, "Why so ? 'mr. b' wrote what he intended to write
    how does that lead to your thinking him a 'clod'?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  5. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-30, Mark South wrote:
    >
    > Speaking of wireless problems, has anyone here ever replaced the internal
    > antenna on their flaptop?



    I have, and it was relatively simple. It largely depends on the laptop
    though - some of them make the minipci card accessible via a "hatch"
    while others require partial disassembly of the laptop; mine was the
    latter of the two. It's a Thinkpad T41 - I had to remove the keyboard
    and the palmrest, but after that, the card is easy to replace. Also,
    IBM/Lenovo has instructions for doing that on their site, and I would
    expect most laptop manufacturers to have similar; if not, I'm sure
    someone has already done and written about it on the net

    -RW

  6. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:28:14 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2008-01-30, Mark South wrote:
    >>
    >> Speaking of wireless problems, has anyone here ever replaced the
    >> internal antenna on their flaptop?

    >
    > I have, and it was relatively simple. It largely depends on the laptop
    > though - some of them make the minipci card accessible via a "hatch"
    > while others require partial disassembly of the laptop; mine was the
    > latter of the two. It's a Thinkpad T41 - I had to remove the keyboard
    > and the palmrest, but after that, the card is easy to replace. Also,
    > IBM/Lenovo has instructions for doing that on their site, and I would
    > expect most laptop manufacturers to have similar; if not, I'm sure
    > someone has already done and written about it on the net


    Aha, but the operative word is "antenna". The mini-PCI card is a matter
    of: flip laptop over, spin a couple of screws, snap off the memory cover,
    detach the antenna connectors, pop out the old card, pop in the new, snap
    cover in, spin the screws, flip laptop over again.

    That's what I did to check that the problem is not with the card, but
    apparently with the antenna. With my luck it'll be sandwiched behind the
    display bezel....

  7. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, mr.b wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:36:39 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    [...]
    > and so I shall, "maroon" in some circles of contemporary Canadian society
    > is used to describe someone of less than median intelligence. It is a
    > phonetic variation on "moron". There is no reference intended, implied
    > etc. to any societal or racial group, other than that group in society
    > known as "dumbasses"
    > HTH


    IIRC, 'what a maroon!' is quoted from Curly, of the 3 Stooges.
    (a 1930's film comedy troupe).

    I tried to google a definitive reference but only found many
    maroons calling each other maroons. It's also in common use
    today across the English-speaking parts of the USA. As an
    exclamation, it indicates both the source and object of the
    exclamation to be of 'less than median intelligence'.

    HTH
    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  8. Re: Wireless Problems

    * William Hunt wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, mr.b wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:36:39 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > [...]
    >> and so I shall, "maroon" in some circles of contemporary Canadian
    >> society is used to describe someone of less than median intelligence.
    >> It is a phonetic variation on "moron". There is no reference
    >> intended, implied etc. to any societal or racial group, other than
    >> that group in society known as "dumbasses"
    >> HTH

    >
    > IIRC, 'what a maroon!' is quoted from Curly, of the 3 Stooges.
    > (a 1930's film comedy troupe).


    Or Bugs Bunny

    http://www.frogstar.com/wav/displayw...l=ltbb_052.wav

    [...]

    --
    David

  9. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:44:13 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > It has therefore been established by 'mr.b' that the intended spelling
    > and/or usage was in fact 'maroons', therefore I repeat my question, "Why
    > so ? 'mr. b' wrote what he intended to write how does that
    > lead to your thinking him a 'clod'?


    mais c'est Úvident, despite the welcoming tone of the imperative that
    is his nym, mr. fat hasn't had his fat chewed for a while and is
    experiencing some unresolved angst over his lack of lipid
    mastication...his recent postings have had a certain sand-in-the-KY-jelly
    flavour to them...personally I'm just waiting for him to write something
    interesting

  10. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:40:03 GMT,
    SINNER wrote:
    > * William Hunt wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:
    >
    >>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:36:39 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    >> [...]
    >>> and so I shall, "maroon" in some circles of contemporary Canadian
    >>> society is used to describe someone of less than median intelligence.
    >>> It is a phonetic variation on "moron". There is no reference
    >>> intended, implied etc. to any societal or racial group, other than
    >>> that group in society known as "dumbasses"

    >>
    >> IIRC, 'what a maroon!' is quoted from Curly, of the 3 Stooges.
    >> (a 1930's film comedy troupe).

    >
    > Or Bugs Bunny
    >
    > http://www.frogstar.com/wav/displayw...l=ltbb_052.wav


    See also:

    http://www.snarkout.org/archives/2003/01/19/

    --
    Theodore (Ted) Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

  11. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-30, Mark South wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:28:14 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-01-30, Mark South wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Speaking of wireless problems, has anyone here ever replaced the
    >>> internal antenna on their flaptop?

    >>
    >> I have, and it was relatively simple. It largely depends on the laptop
    >> though - some of them make the minipci card accessible via a "hatch"
    >> while others require partial disassembly of the laptop; mine was the
    >> latter of the two. It's a Thinkpad T41 - I had to remove the keyboard
    >> and the palmrest, but after that, the card is easy to replace. Also,
    >> IBM/Lenovo has instructions for doing that on their site, and I would
    >> expect most laptop manufacturers to have similar; if not, I'm sure
    >> someone has already done and written about it on the net

    >
    > Aha, but the operative word is "antenna".



    Yeah, I see that now. Just damn.

    I have NOT replaced the antenna, although I recall that it didn't
    *appear* to be a big deal in this Thinkpad. It's essentially two
    wires that go in different directions - of course, they did go into
    crevices and such, so there might be gremlins in there holding on
    tight... ;-)

    In all seriousness, on my old Pavilion laptop, the antenna was
    indeed part of the display housing (at the bottom), and it didn't
    look to be much fun at all to replace/repair it.

    Good luck with that!

    -RW

  12. Re: Wireless Problems

    SINNER wrote:

    >
    > Or Bugs Bunny
    >
    > http://www.frogstar.com/wav/displayw...l=ltbb_052.wav
    >
    > [...]
    >


    Correct. Bugs was the one I was thinking of. He also pronounced imbecile
    as "Imbessell". He must have been Canadian.

    With kind regards

    Chu


  13. Re: Wireless Problems

    Two Ravens wrote:

    >>> Obviously in this case it was the 'Maroons' as a specific
    >>> social grouping of people, those living on mountaintops, as opposed
    >>> to some of the varying shades of red.

    >> That's what you assumed the writer meant. In the context of his
    >> original post, this is clearly incorrect.

    >
    > Why do you presume that that is what I assumed the writer meant?


    Did you have some obscure meaning in mind when you wrote "Obviously in
    this case...."? Keep digging.

    > I had put forward an opinion that it was the literal translation
    > of "Maroons", "...those living on mountaintops..." that may have been
    > intended,


    Put forward the opinion? Wasn't it "obvious"?

    > whereas in fact it turns out to have been a usage common in
    > Canada, (I had earlier opined),


    So you were correct even when you were wrong? You are pathetic.

    > It has therefore been established by 'mr.b' that the intended spelling
    > and/or usage was in fact 'maroons', therefore I repeat my
    > question, "Why so ? 'mr. b' wrote what he intended to write
    > how does that lead to your thinking him a 'clod'?


    I humbly apologise to Mr b; the clod is you.

    With kind regards

    Chu

  14. Re: Wireless Problems

    ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > I humbly apologise to Mr b...


    That's most magnanimous of you.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4