Wireless Problems - Slackware

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems - Slackware ; Hallo, crawfordthad, Du meintest am 27.01.08: > Sorry to bother you Dan. I always thought that the point of forums > such as this was to help people out, even if they are new to the > system. In this ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 74

  1. Re: Wireless Problems

    Hallo, crawfordthad,

    Du meintest am 27.01.08:

    > Sorry to bother you Dan. I always thought that the point of forums
    > such as this was to help people out, even if they are new to the
    > system.

    In this newsgroup you need a good killfile.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  2. Re: Wireless Problems

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote :

    > The point that I am at now is when I log in, I can rmmod bcm43xx and
    > modprobe ndiswrapper.

    If you prefer ndiswrapper then blacklist the bcm43xx module in
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

    Next take a look at the wlan0 section in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf here
    you can start ndiswrapper and set stuff like essid and cryptation.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: Wireless Problems

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote :

    > Okay, so I am not so sure what RTFM!

    Slackware 12 still comes with the BSD-games so try 'wtf RTFM'.
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:51:58 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:

    > Sorry to bother you Dan. I always thought that the point of forums
    > such as this was to help people out, even if they are new to the
    > system.

    You've been offered help, and have chosen to partially do some of it, go
    off on a tangent, and ignore it. Then, you come back with another dumb
    ****ing question that wasn't necessary if you had just followed the
    ****ing directions you had already been given.

    You're a classic Win-droid. Incapable of logical thought, or following
    simple instructions. Bugger off and leave, dimwit.

  5. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 27, 11:49*am, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:51:58 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:
    > > Sorry to bother you Dan. *I always thought that the point of forums
    > > such as this was to help people out, even if they are new to the
    > > system.

    > You've been offered help, and have chosen to partially do some of it, go
    > off on a tangent, and ignore it. *Then, you come back with another dumb
    > ****ing question that wasn't necessary if you had just followed the
    > ****ing directions you had already been given.
    >
    > You're a classic Win-droid. *Incapable of logical thought, or following
    > simple instructions. *Bugger off and leave, dimwit.
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Well let me just say that the classic "Win-droid" figured out how to
    do it. It wasn't exactly as Mark said (who I must say has been
    helpfull and respectfull, along with many others). I added bcm43xx to
    the blacklist, modprobe ndiswrapper, set up the iwconfig function and
    used man dhcpcd to figure out how to use that. Although i must admit
    it is not perfect (dhcpcd is reporting an unknown host name to my
    gateway, which I don't like) (I am not encrypted with wep or wpa yet,
    still have to figure out how to convert the plain language key on my
    gateway to hex for the iwconfig command), but other than that..my
    computer will now ping both local ip's and hosts name. I can even use
    the browser to go to google. yeah.... Thanks for all that have
    helped. Althought I was not able to do the actions that some stated
    verbatum due to one conflict or another, you guidance sent me in the
    right path. As for Dan....get a life and "bugger off"

  6. Re: Wireless Problems

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > I can even use
    > the browser to go to google. *yeah.... *Thanks for all that have
    > helped. *Althought I was not able to do the actions that some stated
    > verbatum due to one conflict or another, you guidance sent me in the
    > right path.

    When you get Google set up as a home page, (its useful when one starts
    out to go straight into to ask questions), have a look at
    http://www.google.com/linux
    --
    John
    "Who is John Galt"

  7. Re: Wireless Problems

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote :

    > still have to figure out how to convert the plain language key on my
    > gateway to hex for the iwconfig command

    'man wpa_passphrase'
    --
    Thomas O.

  8. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:51:58 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:

    > It seems a little obvious that you come to a place like this Dan to
    > bother others with your hostility.

    you've learned quickly that this group is infested with a couple of
    maroons who apparently can't spell their last names... "Dan C" or "Dan
    Cunt" as he is known in the ubuntu ng, shares his angst with all because
    of a perpetual state of penile shrinkage...apparently there was a recent
    unfortunate incident involving his inflatable boyfriend...in aviation
    terms...a depressurization event

  9. Re: Wireless Problems

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >Slackware 12 still comes with the BSD-games

    Thank God! I hope PV never removes them. atc rules.

    -Beej

  10. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 03:08:39 +0000, Richard James wrote:

    > This page just lists commands with a short description beside each one
    > http://www.linuxguide.it/linux_commands_line_en.htm#go
    >
    > I dare someone to present me with a better page :P

    Well I just noticed this page on the slack wiki a list of common commands
    http://slackwiki.org/Common_Commands

    Richard James

  11. Re: Wireless Problems

    btw the default bcm43xx driver is pretty ****, i believe it only goes
    up to 13 mbps, and has low received signal strength compared to the
    windows driver.

  12. Re: Wireless Problems

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > Hi, I am extremely new to Linux in general, much less slackware. ...

    Well then, welcome ...

    > I am trying to get my wireless network up and running on my system. I
    > am not having any luck at all. I know that when I originally
    > installed slackware 12 it asked for the location of my modem.

    Wireless network interface is not a modem. It appears to the computer
    as a "regular" (Ethernet) network interface.

    > I selected one, but it turns out my wireless adapter is on a mini-pci
    > slot so I am guessing it is not COM1.

    Most certainly not. It may be something like eth1 (or ath0, or perhaps
    wlan0, all depending on the make, model, and chipset). If you type the
    following commands at a command prompt, you should be able to get a
    response that is at least somewhat helpful:

    dmesg |grep -i eth
    dmesg |grep -i wireless
    lspci |grep -i wireless
    lspci -v -s `lspci |grep -i wireless |awk '{print $1}'`

    If you run the last command as user "root", you'll get more information
    than you will as an unprivileged user. The others will give you the
    same information (if any) regardless of whether or not you're working as
    "root". It might be worth your while to followup here with the result
    of that last command.

    > Is there anyone out there who can help me set up this network from the
    > ground up.

    Several people here should be able to help, but it will require more
    information to begin with, and you'll likely need to be prepared to work
    in small steps, coming back to the newsgroup with results each time.

    > Absoulutely nothing figured out yet. Any advice will be appreciated.

    Search google for linux wireless howto and see if that gives you
    sufficient information. Also search for the model name of your computer
    with the word Linux, and you should find details of how others managed
    to make their own systems work with Linux. A lot of the documentation
    you'll find is somewhat dated, but in practice I find it's mostly still
    very relevant so it should help you at least look in the right places
    on your system.

    I hope this helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  13. Re: Wireless Problems

  14. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 10:09*am, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Hi, I am extremely new to Linux in general, much less slackware. *I am
    > trying to get my wireless network up and running on my system. *I am
    > not having any luck at all. *I know that when I originally installed
    > slackware 12 it asked for the location of my modem. *I selected one,
    > but it turns out my wireless adapter is on a mini-pci slot so I am
    > guessing it is not COM1. *Is there anyone out there who can help me
    > set up this network from the ground up. *I have a simple broadband
    > connection (DSL wireless modem and router). *I need to configure my
    > system to recognize the adapter and everything. *Absoulutely nothing
    > figured out yet. *Any advice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Thad

    Here is a link to try:
    http://www.broadcom.com/products/com...s_archive..php

    This is a place to start again. It looks like they have linux
    support. I may research time is very limited due to a busy schedule,
    so try there. If that does not work try shooting off an e-mail to
    them. the folks at realtek have help me out with my wireless issues.
    Try to avoid rtl8185 and rtl 8187l chipsets for now. They work but
    limited fuctionality. I feel your pain with wireless.

    Also being that the chipset is listing as 43xx it is going to be
    difficult to narrow down to the correct driver set, that is where your
    tech support should come in. They also my just attach the linux
    drivers in the e-mail for you. and good luck
    Matthias

  15. Re: Wireless Problems

    > On 2008-01-27, mr.b wrote:

    >> you've learned quickly that this group is infested with a couple of
    >> maroons who apparently can't spell

    With kind regards

    Chu

  16. Re: Wireless Problems

    ChuMaiFat wrote:

    >> On 2008-01-27, mr.b wrote:

    >>> you've learned quickly that this group is infested with a couple of
    >>> maroons who apparently can't spell

    Why so ? A small subset of 'Maroons' being apparently unable
    to spell is quite possible. Dependent upon which definition of 'Maroon'
    was intended, Obviously in this case it was the 'Maroons' as a specific
    social grouping of people, those living on mountaintops, as opposed to
    some of the varying shades of red.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  17. Re: Wireless Problems

    Two Ravens wrote:
    > Obviously in this case it was the 'Maroons' as a specific
    > social grouping of people, those living on mountaintops, as opposed to
    > some of the varying shades of red.

    Don't be a maroonic.

    Surely these mountain-dwellers would be the marooned?

    With kind regards

    Chu

  18. Re: Wireless Problems

    ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > Don't be a maroonic.
    >
    > Surely these mountain-dwellers would be the marooned?

    I was merely pointing out that English as a Language has a large
    vocabulary some of which it has borrowed from other languages. This
    vocabulary tends to be used by those who speak the varying localised
    forms of the language in differing ways, so to assume that the usage
    of 'maroon' in the specific case quoted was incorrect, one would need
    to first discover what the intent of the writer was. ['Maroons' as it
    refers to a social grouping is usually associated with communities of
    run away slaves].

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  19. Re: Wireless Problems

    Two Ravens wrote:
    > ChuMaiFat wrote:
    >
    >> Don't be a maroonic.
    >>
    >> Surely these mountain-dwellers would be the marooned?

    > I was merely pointing out that English as a Language has a large
    > vocabulary some of which it has borrowed from other languages. This
    > vocabulary tends to be used by those who speak the varying localised
    > forms of the language in differing ways, so to assume that the usage
    > of 'maroon' in the specific case quoted was incorrect, one would need
    > to first discover what the intent of the writer was. ['Maroons' as it
    > refers to a social grouping is usually associated with communities of
    > run away slaves].

    Oh, I see.

    You read the original email to mean that this newsgroup is infested with
    a couple of people from a community of runaway slaves?

    In that case, you are a moron. And just to dispel any possible
    ambiguity, I mean that in the sense that you are a ****ing idiot.

    With kind regards

    Chu

  20. Re: Wireless Problems

    ChuMaiFat wrote:

    > Oh, I see.
    >
    > You read the original email to mean that this newsgroup is infested
    > with a couple of people from a community of runaway slaves?

    As that was what was written, "...you've learned quickly that this group
    is infested with a couple of maroons who apparently can't spell their
    last names..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_(people)

    I read what was there, unlike yourself, I did not assume that the writer
    had intended to write anything other than what he did.

    As you have in the past pointed out, English is not your first language,
    mayhap you misread maroon for moron. To establish the intent of the
    writer you would have to ask him. As his original post was, as far as I
    could judge published as an insult, it may well be that the implication
    that those it was directed at were members of a particular social
    group, was intended as an added insult. Again, one would have to seek
    elucidation from the original author. Perhaps, with the current climate
    of this newsgroup it would be better were everyone to refrain from
    making inflammatory posts, but we are all human and therefore
    fallible.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."