Wireless Problems - Slackware

This is a discussion on Wireless Problems - Slackware ; On Jan 26, 9:08*pm, Richard James wrote: > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:33:55 -0800, crawfordthad wrote: > >> >then I am using the command tar -zxvf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2 > >> tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2 > > The difference is that the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 74

  1. Re: Wireless Problems

    > >> tar xvjf b43-fwcutter-009.tar.bz2

    > The difference is that the z option to the tar command uses the gzip
    > program to decompress the archive. That is normal for
    > somearchivename.tar.gz but for somearchivename.tar.bz2 tar needs to be
    > told to use the bzip2 program we do that with the j option/switch.
    >
    > if you type man tar it can explain some of that.
    >
    > > Let me say that I am sure allot of the questions that I am asking are
    > > trivial to some. *We all have to start somewere right? *Any assistance
    > > or directions that someone can give me to get my wireless up and running
    > > from this point would really be appreciated...

    > If you are having a few difficulties following instructions because you
    > don't understand there are a few places on the Internet that can explain
    > them easier. (Me just realises I don't know any off the top of my head)
    >
    > Read the FAQ in this group and the Slackware book
    >
    > This page just lists commands with a short description beside each onehttp://www.linuxguide.it/linux_commands_line_en.htm#go
    >
    > I dare someone to present me with a better page :P
    >
    > Richard James

    Okay, I finally got the driver stuff done. Now what? What is the
    next step to get my wireless working???

  2. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-27, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    >> The difference is that the z option to the tar command uses the gzip
    >> program to decompress the archive. That is normal for
    >> somearchivename.tar.gz but for somearchivename.tar.bz2 tar needs to be
    >> told to use the bzip2 program we do that with the j option/switch.
    >>
    >> if you type man tar it can explain some of that.
    >>
    >> > Let me say that I am sure allot of the questions that I am asking are
    >> > trivial to some. *We all have to start somewere right? *Any assistance
    >> > or directions that someone can give me to get my wireless up and running
    >> > from this point would really be appreciated...

    >> If you are having a few difficulties following instructions because you
    >> don't understand there are a few places on the Internet that can explain
    >> them easier. (Me just realises I don't know any off the top of my head)
    >>
    >> Read the FAQ in this group and the Slackware book
    >>
    >> This page just lists commands with a short description beside each onehttp://www.linuxguide.it/linux_commands_line_en.htm#go
    >>
    >> I dare someone to present me with a better page :P
    >>
    >> Richard James

    > Okay, I finally got the driver stuff done. Now what? What is the
    > next step to get my wireless working???

    http://www.google.com

    Results 1 - 10 of about 251,000 for Linux wlan tutorial (0.29 seconds)

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  3. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-27, Tom N wrote:

    >> Okay, I finally got the driver stuff done. Now what? What is the
    >> next step to get my wireless working???

    > http://www.google.com
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 251,000 for Linux wlan tutorial (0.29 seconds)
    >

    > Tom

    Funny, I got 1180 hits at google main for "wlan tutorial"

    and 280 something at google.com/linux for the same query.

    Maybe a they have tutotial on how to use google some place, try a search at
    google...there's an idea.

    ken

  4. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 10:46*pm, No_One wrote:
    > On 2008-01-27, Tom N wrote:
    >

    > >> Okay, I finally got the driver stuff done. *Now what? *What is the
    > >> next step to get my wireless working???

    > >http://www.google.com

    > > Results 1 - 10 of about 251,000 for Linux wlan tutorial (0.29 seconds)

    > > Tom

    > Funny, I got 1180 hits at google main for "wlan tutorial"
    >
    > and 280 something at google.com/linux for the same query.
    >
    > Maybe a they have tutotial on how to use google some place, try a search at
    > google...there's an idea.
    >
    > ken

    Funny...google is actually my home page on my windows system. I would
    say gee....I didn't think of that....but that would just play into too
    many hands and laughs at my expense. I know how to google and look
    stuff up. I even know how to follow directions. The problem is there
    is not one set of directions out there that is plain...step by step...
    and all inclusive for every system and setup...of course...that would
    be absurd....it just seems that everywere I turn I run into conflicts
    that are not covered. For instance right now I am try to load the
    Windows driver with ndiswrapper... I have the windows .inf file
    and .sys file loaded.. and I know how to run the ndiswrapper program...
    (thanks to google). When I go to ndiswrapper -l it says that
    (alternete driver: bcm43xx). According to the tutorial I am looking
    at, I should be able to rmmod bcm43xx (that is actually even the
    driver it uses in the example...good thing for idiots as myself) but
    it doesn't change anything...ndiswrapper -l stiill reports the
    alternate driver. and if I try rmmod ndiswrapper i get allot of
    jargin scrolling on my screen up to the point that says "Message from
    syslogd@blah blah blah / : Call Trace: and that is were it freezes.
    I had the power light on the card, but that is as far as I can get.
    When I do the demsg | grep ndiswrapper = I don't get the wlan line
    that I should. The tutorial is saying it is because the "alternate
    driver bcm43xx" is using the device...but once again the rmmod command
    isn't working... In the perfect world there would be someone that has
    experienced and overcome every stepping stone to help us on our way to
    knowledge, but nothing is perfect. All that I can ask for is a little
    help for anyone who is willing to give it...all google jokes aside...

  5. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 26, 11:25*pm, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > > >http://www.google.com

    > > > Results 1 - 10 of about 251,000 for Linux wlan tutorial (0.29 seconds)

    > > > Tom

    > > Funny, I got 1180 hits at google main for "wlan tutorial"

    > > and 280 something at google.com/linux for the same query.

    > > Maybe a they have tutotial on how to use google some place, try a searchat
    > > google...there's an idea.

    > > ken

    > Funny...google is actually my home page on my windows system. *I would
    > say gee....I didn't think of that....but that would just play into too
    > many hands and laughs at my expense. *I know how to google and look
    > stuff up. *I even know how to follow directions. *The problem is there
    > is not one set of directions out there that is plain...step by step...
    > and all inclusive for every system and setup...of course...that would
    > be absurd....it just seems that everywere I turn I run into conflicts
    > that are not covered. * For instance right now I am try to load the
    > Windows driver with ndiswrapper... *I have the windows .inf file
    > and .sys file loaded.. and I know how to run the ndiswrapper program...
    > (thanks to google). *When I go to ndiswrapper -l it says that
    > (alternete driver: bcm43xx). *According to the tutorial I am looking
    > at, I should be able to rmmod bcm43xx (that is actually even the
    > driver it uses in the example...good thing for idiots as myself) but
    > it doesn't change anything...ndiswrapper -l stiill reports the
    > alternate driver. *and if I try rmmod ndiswrapper *i get allot of
    > jargin scrolling on my screen up to the point that says "Message from
    > syslogd@blah blah blah / : Call Trace: *and that is were it freezes.
    > I had the power light on the card, but that is as far as I can get.
    > When I do the demsg | grep ndiswrapper = I don't get the wlan line
    > that I should. *The tutorial is saying it is because the "alternate
    > driver bcm43xx" is using the device...but once again the rmmod command
    > isn't working... *In the perfect world there would be someone that has
    > experienced and overcome every stepping stone to help us on our way to
    > knowledge, but nothing is perfect. *All that I can ask for is a little
    > help for anyone who is willing to give it...all google jokes aside...- Hide quoted text -

    When I reboot after the freeze, ndiswrapper -l still states the the
    appropriate driver is installed but the (alternate driver: bcm43xx) is
    still there. When I do an rmmod bcm43xx it doens't do anything
    special...then I do the modprobe ndiswrapper command and I will get a
    power light on my pcmcia card... After those steps are taken I can
    run iwconfig and actually see the wlan0 device....it has the appriate
    ssid and everything..and my modem/routers page says it can see the
    computer with an assigned ip address of 10.0.0.5...but when I ping is
    says unknown host www.google.com. no connection still....any advice??

  6. Re: Wireless Problems

    On 2008-01-27, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    My comments were not directed to you, however, that said -- I don't have
    the particular isues you have...I did a quick google and came up with these
    links. The last one might be the one of the most interest.

    Remember, linux is linux...distributions make for some differences, but the
    basics remain the same.

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_BCM43xx

    http://www.linux-noob.com/forums/ind...aded&pid=11202

    http://www.movil.be/index.php?s=delicious.p&tag=bcm43xx

    ken

  7. Re: Wireless Problems

    Hallo, crawfordthad,

    Du meintest am 26.01.08:

    >>> I am not sure how to
    >>> extract .zip files in slackware though.

    >> I prefer the "midnight commander" mc.
    >> I move the cursor to the name of the file and then press the "enter"
    >> key * - that's nearly all.

    > Okay, so I was able to figure out where to find the b43-fwcutter but
    > for some reason I can't get it tar?

    Use the "midnight commander" again.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  8. Re: Wireless Problems

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > Okay, so I am not so sure what RTFM! is...

    Read The Fine/F****** Manual

    It is generally used when the poster does not feel that the questioner
    has tried hard enough to find his own answers before asking for help.
    Usually if one asks having demonstrably tried to find ones own answer
    then the answers are usually quite helpful.

    There are other collections of initials that one usually comes across in
    Glyn Milington's sig block, together with an appropriate URL which you
    may find useful:

    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
    STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    JFGI http://jfgi.us/

    Refining your question and putting to Google Groups, may bring up an
    answer to a similar previous enquiry.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  9. Re: Wireless Problems

    crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > All that I can ask for is a little
    > help for anyone who is willing to give it...all google jokes aside...

    Google for your nearest LUG, (Linux Users Group), sign up to their
    mailing list, it a slightly easier environment that usenet in which to
    ask for guidance. I would suggest you input: LUG .
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  10. Re: Wireless Problems

    Tom N wrote:

    > On 2008-01-26, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net
    > wrote:
    >> Is this right?

    > Don't know. Listen to Mark. He know's what he is talking about.

    You don't know jack. That's why you should keep your mouth shut and quit
    jumping into every discussion. You're like a little child running around
    tugging on all the grownups' clothes, in search of attention. Grow up.
    Shut up. And buy a mouse, for chrissake.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  11. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:48:25 -0500, Old Man wrote:

    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-01-26, crawfordthad@sbcglobal.net
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is this right?

    >> Don't know. Listen to Mark. He know's what he is talking about.

    > You don't know jack. That's why you should keep your mouth shut and
    > quit jumping into every discussion. You're like a little child running
    > around tugging on all the grownups' clothes, in search of attention.
    > Grow up. Shut up. And buy a mouse, for chrissake.

    So are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

    I ain't done nuthin' to you, have I?

  12. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:38:00 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:

    > When I reboot after the freeze, ndiswrapper -l still states the the
    > appropriate driver is installed but the (alternate driver: bcm43xx) is
    > still there. When I do an rmmod bcm43xx it doens't do anything
    > special...then I do the modprobe ndiswrapper command and I will get a
    > power light on my pcmcia card... After those steps are taken I can run
    > iwconfig and actually see the wlan0 device....it has the appriate ssid
    > and everything..and my modem/routers page says it can see the computer
    > with an assigned ip address of 10.0.0.5...but when I ping is says
    > unknown host www.google.com. no connection still....any advice??

    *SIGH*

    I gave you some advice yesterday, today I come back and find that you
    started to take it, then went off to try stuff from an Ubuntu forum
    (where everything is completely different) and now you turn out to have
    installed ndiswrapper, which makes it even more complicated to get your
    wireless working.

    *SIGH*

    If you take a deep breath and calm down for a moment we can fix this.

    A. Don't do anything without knowing why you're doing it.

    B. Keep things simple.

    B1. That means breaking down the steps into simpler steps.

    C. Follow the instructions to the letter.

    D. Read and understand the instructions first.

    *SIGH*

    Now, if you go back and re-read my first reply to you in this thread,
    maybe it will make more sense.

    Now I'm going off to take a deep breath and if you still want to do this
    and are prepared to stick to C and D, let me know.

    Good luck either way.
    Mark
    --
    Signature is sad because bcm43xx is scheduled for deletion.

  13. Re: Wireless Problems

    Mark South wrote:

    >> You don't know jack. *That's why you should keep your mouth shut and
    >> quit jumping into every discussion. *You're like a little child
    >> running around tugging on all the grownups' clothes, in search of
    >> attention. Grow up. Shut up. *And buy a mouse, for chrissake.

    > So are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?
    >
    > I ain't done nuthin' to you, have I?

    I read the topmost portion, (that not written by you), as being
    addressed to Tom N
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  14. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:38:39 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >

    >>> You don't know jack. *That's why you should keep your mouth shut and
    >>> quit jumping into every discussion. *You're like a little child
    >>> running around tugging on all the grownups' clothes, in search of
    >>> attention. Grow up. Shut up. *And buy a mouse, for chrissake.

    >> So are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?
    >>
    >> I ain't done nuthin' to you, have I?

    > I read the topmost portion, (that not written by you), as being
    > addressed to Tom N

    I read it as ambiguous, hence the question which, I hope, should lead to
    clarification.

  15. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 27, 9:38*am, Two Ravens wrote:
    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    > >> You don't know jack. *That's why you should keep your mouth shut and
    > >> quit jumping into every discussion. *You're like a little child
    > >> running around tugging on all the grownups' clothes, in search of
    > >> attention. Grow up. Shut up. *And buy a mouse, for chrissake.

    > > So are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

    > > I ain't done nuthin' to you, have I?

    > I read the topmost portion, (that not written by you), as being
    > addressed to Tom N
    > --
    > Two Ravens
    > "...hit the squirrel..."

    I am all about C and D. I do believe someone mentioned in this post
    that Linux is Linux, and they gave me some links to follow for
    different systems. You take what advice you can get....

  16. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 27, 9:54*am, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > > > So are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?

    > > > I ain't done nuthin' to you, have I?

    > > I read the topmost portion, (that not written by you), as being
    > > addressed to Tom N
    > > --
    > > Two Ravens
    > > "...hit the squirrel..."

    > mentioned in this post
    > that Linux is Linux, and they gave me some links to follow for
    > different systems. *You take what advice you can get....- Hide quoted text -

    The reason I got offtrack and started looking around more (and run
    across the ndiswrapper) idea is because if I run the command ./b43-
    fwcutter -l it gives me a list of firmware versions that the b43
    program supports (wl_apsta.o and wl_apsta_mimo.o). When I tried to
    use b43 to extract that bcmwl5.sys file I get an error message that
    the file is not recongnized because it returns an unknown MD5 sum
    (hence it is not one of the supported files). That is when I googled
    the file names that were supported, ran across the instructions for
    ndiswrapper and went to town. If that was a bad thing, can I reverse
    it and still get this system up and running? How?

  17. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:06:35 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:

    > The reason I got offtrack and started looking around more (and run
    > across the ndiswrapper) idea is because if I run the command ./b43-
    > fwcutter -l it gives me a list of firmware versions that the b43
    > program supports (wl_apsta.o and wl_apsta_mimo.o). When I tried to
    > use b43 to extract that bcmwl5.sys file I get an error message that
    > the file is not recongnized because it returns an unknown MD5 sum
    > (hence it is not one of the supported files). That is when I googled
    > the file names that were supported, ran across the instructions for
    > ndiswrapper and went to town. If that was a bad thing, can I reverse
    > it and still get this system up and running? How?

    Will you just **** off and leave? You're even dumber than "Tom N", and
    you should just stick with Windoze. You're not capable of using
    Slackware, that much is clear. Bugger off and go sharpen your crayons.

  18. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 27, 10:06*am, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Jan 27, 9:54*am, crawfordt...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > > > I read the topmost portion, (that not written by you), as being
    > > > addressed to Tom N
    > > > --
    > > > Two Ravens
    > > > "...hit the squirrel..."

    > > mentioned in this post
    > > that Linux is Linux, and they gave me some links to follow for
    > > different systems. *You take what advice you can get....- Hide quoted text -

    > The reason I got offtrack and started looking around more (and run
    > across the ndiswrapper) idea is because if I run the command ./b43-
    > fwcutter -l it gives me a list of firmware versions that the b43
    > program supports (wl_apsta.o and wl_apsta_mimo.o). *When I tried to
    > use b43 to extract that bcmwl5.sys file I get an error message that
    > the file is not recongnized because it returns an unknown MD5 sum
    > (hence it is not one of the supported files). *That is when I googled
    > the file names that were supported, ran across the instructions for
    > ndiswrapper and went to town. *If that was a bad thing, can I reverse
    > it and still get this system up and running? *How?- Hide quoted text -

    The point that I am at now is when I log in, I can rmmod bcm43xx and
    modprobe ndiswrapper. That will at least get power to the card. I
    can do an ifconfig wlan0 up / iwlist wlan0 scan...see local networks
    with there essids.. then I try to iwconfig wlan0 essid "my networks
    essid". After all of that obviously if everything was good to go I
    should be able to ping my gateway. No such luck. Before you say it,
    not I don't have a wep or wpa key assigned right now. I am trying to
    at least get the network up and running before I try and figure out
    how to put my key into hex to work with linux...that is something to
    tackle later.

  19. Re: Wireless Problems

    Mark South wrote:

    >>> Don't know. Listen to Mark. He know's what he is talking about.

    >> You don't know jack. That's why you should keep your mouth shut and
    >> quit jumping into every discussion. You're like a little child running
    >> around tugging on all the grownups' clothes, in search of attention.
    >> Grow up. Shut up. And buy a mouse, for chrissake.

    > So are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about?
    >
    > I ain't done nuthin' to you, have I?

    Sorry, you misread me. I awas addressing Tom. Short version:
    Tom: Don't know.
    Me: You don't know jack.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  20. Re: Wireless Problems

    On Jan 27, 10:37*am, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:06:35 -0800, crawfordthad wrote:
    > > The reason I got offtrack and started looking around more (and run
    > > across the ndiswrapper) idea is because if I run the command ./b43-
    > > fwcutter -l it gives me a list of firmware versions that the b43
    > > program supports (wl_apsta.o and wl_apsta_mimo.o). *When I tried to
    > > use b43 to extract that bcmwl5.sys file I get an error message that
    > > the file is not recongnized because it returns an unknown MD5 sum
    > > (hence it is not one of the supported files). *That is when I googled
    > > the file names that were supported, ran across the instructions for
    > > ndiswrapper and went to town. *If that was a bad thing, can I reverse
    > > it and still get this system up and running? *How?

    > Will you just **** off and leave? *You're even dumber than "Tom N", and
    > you should just stick with Windoze. *You're not capable of using
    > Slackware, that much is clear. *Bugger off and go sharpen your crayons.
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Sorry to bother you Dan. I always thought that the point of forums
    such as this was to help people out, even if they are new to the
    system. It seems a little obvious that you come to a place like this
    Dan to bother others with your hostility. I think maybe your
    compensating for a downfall and trying to believe your a little more
    competent than you really are. So what is that your compensating for
    Dan? You tell us...I'm sure it will explain a lot!