How2 use aps in other 'installations' with chroot ? - Slackware

This is a discussion on How2 use aps in other 'installations' with chroot ? - Slackware ; The marketing-driven idea of 'continually updating towards an ideal' is crap ! A major factor in WinTel's success is that their users didn't have to throw away their previous knowledge/experience. OTOH, when we 'upgrade' we often loose good-old aps. With ...

  1. How2 use aps in other 'installations' with chroot ?

    The marketing-driven idea of 'continually updating towards an ideal'
    is crap ! A major factor in WinTel's success is that their users didn't
    have to throw away their previous knowledge/experience.

    OTOH, when we 'upgrade' we often loose good-old aps.
    With todays BIG-cheap IDEs, we just use an extra partition[s]
    for our 'upgrade'. So then the good-old apps. are still accessible ?

    I've had partial success with using scripts:
    chroot

    I expect that when the script returns, 'rdev would be restored'
    to the current/previous.
    The following gives me problems:------
    #!/bin/bash
    chroot /mnt/Fed14

    elinks -dump 'http://209.85.175.104/
    search?q=cache:i_n9sGg8GmwJ:www.cs.toronto.edu/~chechik/
    courses06/csc2125/p453-dijkstra.pdf+%22correctness+proof%22
    +%22guarded+command%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&ie=UTF-8
    ' >> tstelnk4Mndk
    ---the above 5 lines are actually one line---
    So I want to do:
    elinks -dump >>
    by using the proven elinks in the other installation which is
    now mounted on /mnt/Fed14

    AFAIK it worked once ?
    Q - are the correct config files eg. of partition-/mnt/Fed14
    used; and is the $PATH..etc. correct, as if I was running the
    partition-/mnt/Fed14 installation ?
    Or is it only viable for when a small binary is used, without
    extra config..etc.files ?
    Would the stored data-file go to
    partition-/mnt/Fed14/ ?
    Why doesn't the VT which runs mc which calls the script
    return to the current partition's root, as shown by 'rdev' ?

    Thanks for any feedback,

    == Chris Glur.

  2. Re: How2 use aps in other 'installations' with chroot ?

    On 2008-01-26, problems@gmail wrote:
    > The marketing-driven idea of 'continually updating towards an ideal'
    > is crap

    True.

    > OTOH, when we 'upgrade' we often loose good-old aps.

    Don't every 'upgrade'. Just install new apps and new libs,
    one at a time, if they are worth it.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  3. Re: How2 use aps in other 'installations' with chroot ?

    One dull day if ever some lost imp scratched :