The Korporate Desktop Environment -- KDE - Slackware

This is a discussion on The Korporate Desktop Environment -- KDE - Slackware ; On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:17:03 -0600, No_One wrote: > What the hell is the troll formula here? If poster is not Tom N (or Alan Connor), then poster is a troll. For more information please refer to; man ****head ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: ODE (was: Re: The Korporate Desktop Environment -- KDE)

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:17:03 -0600, No_One wrote:

    > What the hell is the troll formula here?

    If poster is not Tom N (or Alan Connor), then poster is a troll.
    For more information please refer to;

    man ****head

    HTH

  2. Re: ODE (was: Re: The Korporate Desktop Environment -- KDE)

    On 2008-01-26, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-26, Ignoramus17333 wrote:

    >>> Then you know that "NetworkManager" could be written in bash as
    >>> well as in C++ or GTK or TCL or whatever Gnome uses, and that
    >>> this bash script would require a fraction of the system resources
    >>> to run and be infinitely easier to modify, if needed.

    >> I actually tried it. Wrote a script to make my laptop connect to the
    >> best network, in my home, work, at friends etc. Ethernet, wifi, etc.
    >>
    >> In the end, I spent a lot of efforts, and ended up with something that
    >> was usable most of the time, except when it was not usable, but
    >> NetworkManager works a lot better.
    >>
    >> NetworkManager works on my kid's laptop with 256MB of RAM and 850 MHz
    >> CPU.
    >>

    > Well, the script obviously needs some work. The fault is yours, not
    > bash's. You know that. Why do I need to state the obvious?
    >
    > The people who wrote "NetworkManager" know more about what's involved
    > here than you do. They could just as well have used bash as whatever
    > they used. Or perl or python or ruby...

    P.S.

    I should note here that the ODE (Optimal Desktop Environment)
    protocol allows for the use of any independent application
    (one that isn't bound to another application with an unrelated
    purpose or that it doesn't need to function properly).

    So it could use NetworkManager if it's independent of KDE. It
    certainly could be, but the corporate-controlled geeks at KDE
    don't want people running Linux without their "help", so it
    probably isn't. Many "K" apps, like Kstars, _are_ independent,
    though.

    But the ODE protocol also calls for using non-X applications
    whenever possible, because they use far less resources and are
    generally superior; and because they will work in the console
    environment _and_ the X environment.

    The object here is to make Linux accessible to everyone in
    the world, not just middle-class people in the "First World"
    with the latest computers and hardware and high-speed connections,
    who are a minority on the world stage.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit