The ODE Project - Slackware

This is a discussion on The ODE Project - Slackware ; ODE = Optimal Desktop Environment Ode: Noun. From the Greek "oide", literally, a song. A lyric poem expressing exalted emotion in a complex scheme of rhyme and meter. ODE will be a user interface for Linux/Unix that works in the ...

  1. The ODE Project

    ODE = Optimal Desktop Environment

    Ode: Noun. From the Greek "oide", literally, a song.

    A lyric poem expressing exalted emotion in a complex scheme of
    rhyme and meter.

    ODE will be a user interface for Linux/Unix that works in the
    console environment with GNU screen for its window manager, and
    in the X environment with the ratpoison window manager.

    It will do everything that KDE does with a fraction of the
    system resources and will be infinitely more accessible and
    configurable.

    The only visible sign of its existence will be a menu tree, open
    in one window.

    ODE will consist of a number of simple bash scripts which call on
    a small library of functions:

    /usr/ode and /usr/ode/lib

    Unlike KDE (the Korporate Desktop Environment), learning to use ODE
    will promote independence and true computer literacy.

    I could use some help here. Anyone with marginal bash scripting
    skills and a love of freedom is qualified. Please mail me.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  2. Re: The ODE Project

    Tom N wrote:
    > Unlike KDE (the Korporate Desktop Environment), learning to use ODE
    > will promote independence and true computer literacy.

    LOL! What a clown.

    I didn't know whether to laugh or what, after I read this load of nonsense.

    So Tom (Alan), i am sure your popularity around here will land you lots
    of volunteers that are dying to help you.

  3. Re: The ODE Project

    On 2008-01-25, Tom N wrote:

    > I could use some help here. Anyone with marginal bash scripting
    > skills and a love of freedom is qualified. Please mail me.

    Why would you disqualify yourself from your own project?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: The ODE Project

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 06:56:48 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > I could use some help here.

    Yes, we all know that, Alan.

    > Anyone with marginal bash scripting skills and a love of freedom is
    > qualified.

    So, you won't be working on your own "project"?

    LOL! What a ****ing wanker.

    > Please mail me.

    Please jump off a bridge.

    > Tom

    Your name is "Alan Connor", Tom. Try to remember.

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  5. Re: The ODE Project

    Tom N wrote:

    > Ode: Noun. From the Greek "oide", literally, a song.
    >
    > A lyric poem expressing exalted emotion in a complex scheme of
    > rhyme and meter.

    Teacher, will this be on the test?

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  6. Re: The ODE Project

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 06:56:48 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > ODE will be a user interface for Linux/Unix that works in the console
    > environment with GNU screen for its window manager, and in the X
    > environment with the ratpoison window manager.
    >
    > It will do everything that KDE does with a fraction of the system
    > resources and will be infinitely more accessible and configurable.

    That's a nice idea, the KDE interface, though its bugs and
    flaws, is quite a good one (I don't use it nowadays but I've had had,
    and I'l still using the K tools I didn't find an eq. yet).
    So, Jayce, I'm fine you're back on the wagon.

    > The only visible sign of its existence will be a menu tree, open in one
    > window.

    What about the audible signs?

    > ODE will consist of a number of simple bash scripts which call on a
    > small library of functions:
    >
    > /usr/ode and /usr/ode/lib
    >
    > Unlike KDE (the Korporate Desktop Environment), learning to use ODE will
    > promote independence and true computer literacy.
    >
    > I could use some help here. Anyone with marginal bash scripting skills

    Ah! this is something I've been said I may have.

    > and a love of freedom

    two points!

    > is qualified.

    So, I'm qualified.

    > Please mail me.

    Better idea, when your first batch of RFCs and skeleton of
    the orange book are read/us/able, mail them to me.

    And now, stop playing on Usenet and get to work on ODE!

    --
    have space suit : "VMSBUX:B0N1@GOHH.GO"
    will travel : tr "MLKJHGFDSQNBVCXWPOIUYTREZA" "a-z"

  7. Re: The ODE Project

    On 2008-01-25, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 06:56:48 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> ODE will be a user interface for Linux/Unix that works in the console
    >> environment with GNU screen for its window manager, and in the X
    >> environment with the ratpoison window manager.
    >>
    >> It will do everything that KDE does with a fraction of the system
    >> resources and will be infinitely more accessible and configurable.

    > That's a nice idea, the KDE interface, though its bugs and
    > flaws, is quite a good one (I don't use it nowadays but I've had had,
    > and I'l still using the K tools I didn't find an eq. yet).
    > So, Jayce, I'm fine you're back on the wagon.

    I wouldn't have any problem with using some of the apps that come
    with KDE, as long as they worked independently of the KDE core.

    Who's "Jayce"?

    >> The only visible sign of its existence will be a menu tree, open in one
    >> window.

    > What about the audible signs?

    None I can think of. No scents either. But you could configure
    it to make any sounds you want.

    >> ODE will consist of a number of simple bash scripts which call on a
    >> small library of functions:
    >>
    >> /usr/ode and /usr/ode/lib
    >>
    >> Unlike KDE (the Korporate Desktop Environment), learning to use ODE will
    >> promote independence and true computer literacy.
    >>
    >> I could use some help here. Anyone with marginal bash scripting skills

    > Ah! this is something I've been said I may have.
    >
    >> and a love of freedom

    > two points!
    >
    >> is qualified.

    > So, I'm qualified.
    >
    >> Please mail me.

    > Better idea, when your first batch of RFCs and skeleton of
    > the orange book are read/us/able, mail them to me.

    There won't be any RFCs, and I don't know what an "orange book"
    is. It will just be a collection of bash scripts and require
    either ratpoison or screen. Unlike the Korporate Desktop Environment
    (KDE) the actual applications used will be selected by the user.
    (There'll be a default list, of course.)

    A list of console apps and a list of X apps, with most of them
    being console apps for both environments.

    > And now, stop playing on Usenet and get to work on ODE!

    :-) It already exists. That's the joke. I'm using it right now.
    When I posted the original post, which you are responding to
    here, I was using ratpoison in the X environment. Now I'm using
    screen in the console environment.

    It just needs some polishing. A few 'wizard' scripts to set up
    and configure the more complicated apps. (Bet they already exist,
    somewhere....)

    Sorry about not replying by email, as you requested. I don't
    have slrn configured to do that.

    Thanks, Loki,

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  8. Re: The ODE Project

    On 2008-01-25, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 06:56:48 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > Better idea, when your first batch of RFCs and skeleton of
    > the orange book are read/us/able, mail them to me.

    That's bull****, Loki ^^^^.

    KDE is just a collection of applications knitted together
    by a menu tree. Nothing more.

    No RFCs are necessary. That's just technocratic woo-woo.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  9. Re: The ODE Project

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 06:56:48 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > ODE = Optimal Desktop Environment

    [snip]

    > Unlike KDE (the Korporate Desktop Environment), learning to use ODE will
    > promote independence and true computer literacy.
    >
    > I could use some help here. Anyone with marginal bash scripting skills
    > and a love of freedom is qualified. Please mail me.
    >
    > Tom

    You just made milk come out my nose.

+ Reply to Thread