Using dvd drive. - Slackware

This is a discussion on Using dvd drive. - Slackware ; I cannot read a dvd on my Slackware 12 system. CDROMs work ok. Here is what dmesg says, in part: Probing IDE interface ide1... hdc: SONY DVD RW DRU-830A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15 hda: max ...

  1. Using dvd drive.

    I cannot read a dvd on my Slackware 12 system. CDROMs work ok. Here is
    what dmesg says, in part:

    Probing IDE interface ide1...
    hdc: SONY DVD RW DRU-830A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hda: max request size: 512KiB
    hda: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=30401/255/63,
    UDMA(66)
    hda: cache flushes supported
    hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 > hda3 hda4
    hdb: max request size: 128KiB
    hdb: 160086528 sectors (81964 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63,
    UDMA(66)
    hdb: cache flushes supported
    hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3 hdb4
    hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide

    Device cdrom points to hdc. I can hard link /dev/hdc to /dev/dvd also.
    I can actually burn an iso file on a dvd blank using cdrecord. I did
    this with slackware-current downloaded as a single iso. But I can't
    read it
    or boot from it.

    I don't have a device /dev/sr0.

    I can't play a regular video dvd via gxine.

    I am using dvd+ style media when I burn a data dvd such as the Slack
    dvd.

    When I try to mount a video dvd via
    mount /dev/cdrom
    I get
    "no medium found".
    When I try to mount one of my freshly burned copies of slackware-
    current
    I get
    "Can't read superblock"

    When I boot from same dvd the machine simply ignores the CD/DVD drive
    with no message.

    It is possible that the bios doesn't support DVD. How would I test
    for that?

    John Culleton

    P. S. My cpu is AMD Athlon 780 Mhz.

    Any hints?

  2. Re: Using dvd drive.

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:23:07 -0800, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I cannot read a dvd on my Slackware 12 system. CDROMs work ok.

    > I can actually burn an iso file on a dvd blank using cdrecord.
    > Any hints?

    Do have something against growisofs? AFAIK, that is the command to use
    for DVDs, not cdrecord.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Using dvd drive.

    In article ,
    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    >Device cdrom points to hdc. I can hard link /dev/hdc to /dev/dvd also.
    >I can actually burn an iso file on a dvd blank using cdrecord. I did
    >this with slackware-current downloaded as a single iso. But I can't
    >read it
    >or boot from it.

    Are you sure you used cdrecord?

    You did most likely use a broken fork instead of the useful original software.

    get a recent original from:

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    compile and install cdrecord/readcd/cdda2wav suid root and things will work for
    you.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  4. Re: Using dvd drive.

    In article ,
    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >Do have something against growisofs? AFAIK, that is the command to use
    >for DVDs, not cdrecord.

    cdrecord supports to write DVDs since February 1998.
    growisofs first appeared 2001/2002 and does not support to write CDs.

    Why use a different program for CDs and DVDs?

    You just need to take care not to use software that has been
    broken by Linux distributors ;-)

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  5. Re: Using dvd drive.

    Joerg Schilling wrote:
    >Are you sure you used cdrecord?
    >
    >You did most likely use a broken fork instead of the useful original software.
    >
    >get a recent original from:
    >
    >ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
    >
    >compile and install cdrecord/readcd/cdda2wav suid root and things will work for
    >you.

    Slackware 12.0 delivers the original unpatched cdrtools version 2.01.01a23.
    (In slackware-current it's now version 2.01.01a36).

    But it's not installed suid root.

  6. Re: Using dvd drive.

    In article ,
    Petri Kaukasoina wrote:

    >Slackware 12.0 delivers the original unpatched cdrtools version 2.01.01a23.
    >(In slackware-current it's now version 2.01.01a36).
    >
    >But it's not installed suid root.

    Then it may help to make it suid root.

    ....I heard about some rare cases where cdrecord did not see any problems
    but the medium is unreadable but this would be a result of a drive firmware
    bug.

    Another frequent problem on Linux is hald. In case of strange problems
    it may help to first kill hald.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  7. Re: Using dvd drive.

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:11:03 +0000, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >
    >>Do have something against growisofs? AFAIK, that is the command to use
    >>for DVDs, not cdrecord.

    > cdrecord supports to write DVDs since February 1998.
    > growisofs first appeared 2001/2002 and does not support to write CDs.
    >
    > Why use a different program for CDs and DVDs?
    >
    > You just need to take care not to use software that has been
    > broken by Linux distributors ;-)

    First of all, I want to say thanks for your all or your work writing free
    software. The ability to write CDs was a critical feature for the
    GNU/Linux platform to be adopted. Your work is a big part of the rapid
    growth of Linux. I know that your toolset is also used as a key component
    in many other projects, also. There are many dynamic live cds projects
    which rely on mkisofs. Thanks!!!

    Slackware 12 includes a cdrecord version:
    $ cdrecord --version
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a23 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
    cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.23.9-smp
    cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
    cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.

    I am not exactly sure what that means, "Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone." Earlier
    Slackware releases included a different version which referred back to
    your site to get the "pro" version of cdrecord which was not limited to
    writing only 2G total on a DVD. This limit was somehow removed by
    using growisofs, so I switched to that. The only significant
    restriction to follow is to stay within the file size limit of the
    standard (max size: 2^32 - 1, I think). Do you know if the version of
    cdrecord as included with Slackware 12 (shown above) will now work
    correctly when writing over 2G? That is with the assumption that the iso
    has been made using mkisofs and including the udf switch. The OP's
    problem on this thread appears to be the same as I had been experiencing
    when I was using cdrecord before. It could be fixed now, I guess. Or it
    could be that the OP is using an earlier version of Slackware with the
    cdrecord which is known not to work with DVDs of all sizes.

    BTW, the message tacked on to the output from cdrecord to "go back to
    Linux 2.4.x or use Solaris" is in no way an option. We're sticking tight
    to Linux now; we're in it for the long haul; and we're not going back to
    Windows, either!

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  8. Re: Using dvd drive.

    In article ,
    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >Slackware 12 includes a cdrecord version:
    >$ cdrecord --version
    >Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a23 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
    >cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.23.9-smp
    >cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
    >cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.

    This is a quite old version (more than a year old). For a rapidly evoling
    program this is a long time.

    >I am not exactly sure what that means, "Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone." Earlier

    ProDVD means DVD support included
    Clone means cloning support included

    >correctly when writing over 2G? That is with the assumption that the iso
    >has been made using mkisofs and including the udf switch. The OP's

    Mkisofs supports single files up to 4 GB since a while.
    Since Spring 2007, there is support for single files up to 8 TB.

    Cdrecord (if compiled correctly) has no size limit.

    >problem on this thread appears to be the same as I had been experiencing
    >when I was using cdrecord before. It could be fixed now, I guess. Or it
    >could be that the OP is using an earlier version of Slackware with the
    >cdrecord which is known not to work with DVDs of all sizes.

    What problems did you have?

    >BTW, the message tacked on to the output from cdrecord to "go back to
    >Linux 2.4.x or use Solaris" is in no way an option. We're sticking tight
    >to Linux now; we're in it for the long haul; and we're not going back to
    >Windows, either!

    Well, if you believe this is unacceptable, you need to tell this Linus Torvalds.
    He did introduce an incompatible Linux kernel interface change that affected
    cdrtools. It took a long time to be sure that all issues have a workaround now.

    Upgrade to a recent version.....

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  9. Re: Using dvd drive.

    jorg dont bring your anti linux rhetoric in here, I am amazed tho, you
    made 3 posts and not once did you mention slowaris.... maybe our drought
    is going to break by a cyclone in the next month afterall

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
    >
    >> Slackware 12.0 delivers the original unpatched cdrtools version 2.01.01a23.
    >> (In slackware-current it's now version 2.01.01a36).
    >>
    >> But it's not installed suid root.

    > Then it may help to make it suid root.
    >
    > ...I heard about some rare cases where cdrecord did not see any problems
    > but the medium is unreadable but this would be a result of a drive firmware
    > bug.
    >
    > Another frequent problem on Linux is hald. In case of strange problems
    > it may help to first kill hald.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  10. Re: Using dvd drive.

    On Jan 24, 10:46 am, j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:
    > In article ,
    >
    > Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
    > >Slackware 12.0 delivers the original unpatched cdrtools version 2.01.01a23.
    > >(In slackware-current it's now version 2.01.01a36).

    > >But it's not installed suid root.

    > Then it may help to make it suid root.
    >
    > ...I heard about some rare cases where cdrecord did not see any problems
    > but the medium is unreadable but this would be a result of a drive firmware
    > bug.
    >
    > Another frequent problem on Linux is hald. In case of strange problems
    > it may help to first kill hald.
    >
    > --
    > EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    > j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)
    > schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog:http://schily.blogspot.com/

    I have done some further exploration. When booted my drive bus
    defaluts to 33Mhz for PIO mode. According to the manual that came
    with my motherboard the eide connections can do 33 Mhz or 66 Mhz.
    Speeds of 100Mhz or 133Mhz are apparently used on newer machines. Does
    any of this impact the use of data dvds?

    All replies (past and future) appreciated.

    John Culleton

  11. Re: Using dvd drive.

    On 2008-01-24, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
    >
    >>Slackware 12.0 delivers the original unpatched cdrtools version 2.01.01a23.
    >>(In slackware-current it's now version 2.01.01a36).
    >>
    >>But it's not installed suid root.

    > Then it may help to make it suid root.

    For better or worse, it does indeed appear that making cdrecord
    suid root is the path of least resistance and such. For those
    planning to do so, you have a few options:
    1. If you are very paranoid, unplug your computer. It's too dangerous
    to run any software.
    2. If you want to play it safe with suid, then go this route:
    chown root:wheel $(which cdrecord)
    chmod 4710 $(which cdrecord)
    This will require your user to be in the wheel group (typically that's
    only trusted users).
    3. If you want to be a bit more loose with suid -- IOW, if you trust
    cdrecord to be pretty much secure (which is likely is) -- then
    go this route:
    chown root:cdrom $(which cdrecord)
    chmod 4710 $(which cdrecord)
    This will allow all members of the cdrom group to use it; this group
    includes all console users on a Slackware box.
    4. If you're not too concerned about the above issues, or all users on
    your machine are trusted, then this will suffice:
    chmod 4755 $(which cdrecord)

    > ...I heard about some rare cases where cdrecord did not see any problems
    > but the medium is unreadable but this would be a result of a drive firmware
    > bug.
    >
    > Another frequent problem on Linux is hald. In case of strange problems
    > it may help to first kill hald.

    Joerg,

    I'm curious about this - do you have any other details as to exactly
    what's going on when hald causes a problem? I've not seen any reports
    of that at all...

    -RW

  12. Re: Using dvd drive.

    On Jan 26, 10:05 am, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 10:46 am, j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:
    >

    > > In article ,

    > > Petri Kaukasoina wrote:
    > > >Slackware 12.0 delivers the original unpatched cdrtools version 2.01.01a23.
    > > >(In slackware-current it's now version 2.01.01a36).

    > > >But it's not installed suid root.

    > > Then it may help to make it suid root.

    > > ...I heard about some rare cases where cdrecord did not see any problems
    > > but the medium is unreadable but this would be a result of a drive firmware
    > > bug.

    > > Another frequent problem on Linux is hald. In case of strange problems
    > > it may help to first kill hald.

    > > --
    > > EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    > > j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)
    > > schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog:http://schily.blogspot.com/

    > I have done some further exploration. When booted my drive bus
    > defaluts to 33Mhz for PIO mode. According to the manual that came
    > with my motherboard the eide connections can do 33 Mhz or 66 Mhz.
    > Speeds of 100Mhz or 133Mhz are apparently used on newer machines. Does
    > any of this impact the use of data dvds?
    >
    > All replies (past and future) appreciated.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Continuing on this theme: I replaced the 33 Mhz cable with a 66 and
    higher cable.
    My motherboard can only go to 66 Mhz on a eide connection. Now when
    I load a commercial movie under my regular signon and Hal recognizes a
    disk load I get a "permission denied" message. When I logon as root I
    get farther but ultimately get this message:

    A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file
    (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"
    member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

    So I have some progress at least. But is this security policy built
    into Slackware or into the particular DVD I am trying to look at? Or
    is it still a speed problem?

    John C.

  13. Re: Using dvd drive.

    "john@wexfordpress.com" (john@wexfordpress.com) writes:

    > Continuing on this theme: I replaced the 33 Mhz cable with a 66 and
    > higher cable.
    > My motherboard can only go to 66 Mhz on a eide connection. Now when
    > I load a commercial movie under my regular signon and Hal recognizes a
    > disk load I get a "permission denied" message. When I logon as root I
    > get farther but ultimately get this message:
    >
    > A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    > message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file
    > (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"
    > member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
    >
    > So I have some progress at least. But is this security policy built
    > into Slackware or into the particular DVD I am trying to look at? Or
    > is it still a speed problem?

    It has something to do with HAL. I'm not running it so I have no
    experience, but a whole slew of times people have reported that message
    for a variety of mounts, and it's not related to some plan to keep
    you from watching movies.

    Go to google and do a search of this newsgroup in the archives, and
    you will find hits with that message, to track down where the problem
    lies.

    Michael

  14. Re: Using dvd drive.

    On 2008-02-12, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    > message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file
    > (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"
    > member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
    >
    > So I have some progress at least. But is this security policy built
    > into Slackware or into the particular DVD I am trying to look at? Or
    > is it still a speed problem?

    It is, quite frankly, an RTFM problem. Sorry

    See the RELEASE_NOTES, CHANGES_AND_HINTS, and assorted other documentation
    files on the Slackware cdroms/mirrors, or go visit the Slackware forum on
    LinuxQuestions.org and read first post of the sticky thread titled
    "12.0 and HAL - READ THIS!"

    -RW

+ Reply to Thread