Setting up autofs - Slackware

This is a discussion on Setting up autofs - Slackware ; I have been searching around awhile and haven't had a lot of luck. Is there a howto somewhere that shows how to setup autofs and automount in Slackware? I have autofs as a kernel module and automount is installed, but ...

  1. Setting up autofs

    I have been searching around awhile and haven't had a lot of luck.
    Is there a howto somewhere that shows how to setup autofs and automount
    in Slackware?

    I have autofs as a kernel module and automount is installed, but I can't
    find anything that tells how to setup in order to use the system.

    There is an automount howto in /usr/doc/LinuxHowtos but it is for redhat
    and mostly a faq rather than a howto. Any pointers in the right direction
    would be nice.

    I need to setup my wifes COmputer so she can use the usb card reader from
    the camera. All it is is a usb plugin memory stick but I'll never be able
    to teach her how to go through all the steps and what to check for if the
    drive doesn't mount. Well I could but it would be a lot easier for me to
    just setup automount on her machine. Then I can write a script for the
    rest.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Setting up autofs

    Whiffle Diffle wrote:
    > I need to setup my wifes COmputer so she can use the usb card reader from
    > the camera. All it is is a usb plugin memory stick but I'll never be able
    > to teach her how to go through all the steps and what to check for if the
    > drive doesn't mount. Well I could but it would be a lot easier for me to
    > just setup automount on her machine. Then I can write a script for the
    > rest.

    Automount is overkill for that. Instead you should configure dbus and hal
    to give her a nice file manager window as soon as she connects any USB
    drive.

    With automount you would have to know which device name the next USB disk
    gets. Dbus and hal takes care of all that. Once configured correctly it
    works really nice in Slackware 12.

    Automount is best used for NFS disks, maybe together with NIS.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Setting up autofs

    On 2008-01-24, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Automount is best used for NFS disks, maybe together with NIS.

    Or LDAP.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: Setting up autofs

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:37:55 +0100, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Whiffle Diffle wrote:
    >> I need to setup my wifes COmputer so she can use the usb card reader
    >> from the camera. All it is is a usb plugin memory stick but I'll never
    >> be able to teach her how to go through all the steps and what to check
    >> for if the drive doesn't mount. Well I could but it would be a lot
    >> easier for me to just setup automount on her machine. Then I can write
    >> a script for the rest.

    > Automount is overkill for that. Instead you should configure dbus and
    > hal to give her a nice file manager window as soon as she connects any
    > USB drive.
    >
    > With automount you would have to know which device name the next USB
    > disk gets. Dbus and hal takes care of all that. Once configured
    > correctly it works really nice in Slackware 12.
    >
    > Automount is best used for NFS disks, maybe together with NIS.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    So where do I read about Dbus and HAL?

    Thanks

  5. Re: Setting up autofs

    Whiffle Diffle wrote:
    > So where do I read about Dbus and HAL?

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...5434007c443b2a

    Doing that change to hal.conf will allow any user in Slackware 12 to mount
    USB disks and cdroms by simple point and click in KDE. This assumes that
    the user is a member of the "users" group, which they probably are by
    default.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread