Installing Slackware Linux 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Installing Slackware Linux 12.0 - Slackware ; I purchased the official CD sets for Slackware Linux 9.1 (a few years ago) and Slackware Linux 12.0 with The Official Guide to Slackware Linux (a month ago). I just reinstalled Slackware Linux 9.1 on my old Dell Dimension L500r. ...

  1. Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    I purchased the official CD sets for Slackware Linux 9.1 (a few years
    ago) and Slackware Linux 12.0 with The Official Guide to Slackware
    Linux (a month ago).

    I just reinstalled Slackware Linux 9.1 on my old Dell Dimension
    L500r. No problems with this: I insert Disk #1 ("Installation"),
    boot bare.i, and everything works without a hitch.

    Now I'm trying to install Slackware Linux 12.0 on my old Dell
    Dimension 4100. I load Disk #1 (also labeled "Installation") from
    this version, but the CD is bypassed -- the computer boots Windows XP
    from the HD. (As a test, I then inserted Disk #1 from the 9.1
    version, and I get the prompt to boot bare.i, as expected).

    Should I conclude that my Disk #1 of the 12.0 version is defective, or
    am I doing something wrong?

    Thanks & Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Vwaju (lou@manhattanhandyman.com) writes:
    > I purchased the official CD sets for Slackware Linux 9.1 (a few years
    > ago) and Slackware Linux 12.0 with The Official Guide to Slackware
    > Linux (a month ago).
    >
    > I just reinstalled Slackware Linux 9.1 on my old Dell Dimension
    > L500r. No problems with this: I insert Disk #1 ("Installation"),
    > boot bare.i, and everything works without a hitch.
    >
    > Now I'm trying to install Slackware Linux 12.0 on my old Dell
    > Dimension 4100. I load Disk #1 (also labeled "Installation") from
    > this version, but the CD is bypassed -- the computer boots Windows XP
    > from the HD. (As a test, I then inserted Disk #1 from the 9.1
    > version, and I get the prompt to boot bare.i, as expected).
    >
    > Should I conclude that my Disk #1 of the 12.0 version is defective, or
    > am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,

    You need to make a floppy with the Smartbootmanager.

    This has all been discussed before, and I don't remember and don't care
    about the specific reasons why there is a problem, but it is that the
    computer can't boot the thing on the CD or DVD. It's expecting a certain
    format, and SLack 12 has advanced a little bit.

    I have a Dell Dimension 4100 and I suffer the same problem. Making a floppy
    with the smart book manager, so you boot from the floppy which then loads
    from the CD or DVD, works fine.

    I forget where the image to copy to the floppy is on the Slack 12 CD or
    DVD, but it might be in with the kernels.

    Your computer boots to Windows because the BIOS goes through a sequence,
    looking for something that's bootable. Assuming you have the BIOS set
    to boot from the CD/DVD drive first, if it's unsuccessful there it will
    try the next thing on the list, which must be the hard drive in your case.

    Note that when using the smart boot manager on the floppy, you will have
    to set the BIOS to boot first from the floppy drive, if that's not already
    set, or else it may never get to a point where it loads and launches
    the smart boot manager.

    Michael

  3. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:21:31 -0800, Vwaju wrote:

    > I purchased the official CD sets for Slackware Linux 9.1 (a few years
    > ago) and Slackware Linux 12.0 with The Official Guide to Slackware
    > Linux (a month ago).
    >
    > I just reinstalled Slackware Linux 9.1 on my old Dell Dimension
    > L500r. No problems with this: I insert Disk #1 ("Installation"),
    > boot bare.i, and everything works without a hitch.
    >
    > Now I'm trying to install Slackware Linux 12.0 on my old Dell
    > Dimension 4100. I load Disk #1 (also labeled "Installation") from
    > this version, but the CD is bypassed -- the computer boots Windows XP
    > from the HD. (As a test, I then inserted Disk #1 from the 9.1
    > version, and I get the prompt to boot bare.i, as expected).
    >
    > Should I conclude that my Disk #1 of the 12.0 version is defective, or
    > am I doing something wrong?
    >
    > Thanks & Best Regards,
    >
    > Vwaju
    > New York City

    Because the computer is refusing to boot from a _bootable CD_, it looks
    like that computer could have a broken BIOS, as has been discussed here
    before. This problem cropped up right away when Slackware 12.0 was
    released. This post on linuxquestions discusses the problem:
    http://tinyurl.com/36bkcv

    That post includes this explanation of the problem (quoted from Alien
    Bob's response):

    Now, if that CD won't boot on your computer, the computer suffers from
    the "incompatible because broken" BIOS syndrome. The Slackware 12.0 boot
    CD uses a bootloadsize of 32kB which causes problems for some computers
    with older BIOS. Previously, the bootloadsize was 4kB which worked better
    for older computers. The value of "32" is standards compliant, and may
    have been chosen because Slackware 12.0 is meant to be installed on modern
    computers...? You can instead try to copy the USB boot image "usbboot.img"
    inside the "/usb-and-pxe-installers/" directory to a USB stick if your
    computer support booting from USB, or create your own compatible ISO image
    for the boot-CD using the instructions in "/isolinux/README.TXT"

    There are various solutions, including booting from smartbootmanager from
    a floppy. Another option is to remake the first CD manually (use mkisofs
    and specify -boot-load-size=4.) Unfortunately, this throws a
    significant roadblock in your way. At least you have a running Slack 9.1,
    should you opt to remake the boot cd.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    On 2008-01-22, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:21:31 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased the official CD sets for Slackware Linux 9.1 (a few years
    >> ago) and Slackware Linux 12.0 with The Official Guide to Slackware
    >> Linux (a month ago).
    >>
    >> I just reinstalled Slackware Linux 9.1 on my old Dell Dimension
    >> L500r. No problems with this: I insert Disk #1 ("Installation"),
    >> boot bare.i, and everything works without a hitch.
    >>
    >> Now I'm trying to install Slackware Linux 12.0 on my old Dell
    >> Dimension 4100. I load Disk #1 (also labeled "Installation") from
    >> this version, but the CD is bypassed -- the computer boots Windows XP
    >> from the HD. (As a test, I then inserted Disk #1 from the 9.1
    >> version, and I get the prompt to boot bare.i, as expected).
    >>
    >> Should I conclude that my Disk #1 of the 12.0 version is defective, or
    >> am I doing something wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks & Best Regards,
    >>
    >> Vwaju
    >> New York City
    >>

    > Because the computer is refusing to boot from a _bootable CD_, it looks
    > like that computer could have a broken BIOS,

    If the 9.1 CD boots from that BIOS, and the 12.0 CD doesn't, then it would seem to me
    that it's the 12.0 CD that is broken, not the BIOS.

    A lot of computers don't even have floppy drives anymore, so the Smartboot floppy isn't
    going to people with those computers a lot of good.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  5. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Tom N wrote:
    >If the 9.1 CD boots from that BIOS, and the 12.0 CD doesn't, then it
    >would seem to me that it's the 12.0 CD that is broken, not the BIOS.

    This problem happens with other boot loaders, too. It's not
    Slackware-specific at all. It's BIOS-specific.

    There was a change in how the CD was burned that caused this to
    manifest, but it was a matter of Patrick doing was was technically
    correct versus bending over backward to cater to old broken BIOSes.

    One thing I've always liked about Un*x was its tendency to do the right
    thing.

    Search for "boot-load-size" for details.

    >A lot of computers don't even have floppy drives anymore, so the
    >Smartboot floppy isn't going to people with those computers a lot of
    >good.

    True. But, as we've seen from the link posted elsewhere in this thread,
    a CD-ROM drive can also be used to around the issue. And fortunately
    this is something that affects older computers that are more likely to
    have floppy drives.

    -Beej

  6. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Tom N wrote:
    > If the 9.1 CD boots from that BIOS, and the 12.0 CD doesn't, then it
    > would seem to me that it's the 12.0 CD that is broken, not the BIOS.

    why? it could be that the 9.1 cd simply didn't trigger this bug, while the
    12.0 cd does.

    or, life has moved on, and the requirements of a modern OS have made it
    impossible to remain backward compatible with all BIOSes ever created.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  7. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    On 2008-01-22, Vwaju wrote:

    > Now I'm trying to install Slackware Linux 12.0 on my old Dell
    > Dimension 4100. I load Disk #1 (also labeled "Installation") from
    > this version, but the CD is bypassed -- the computer boots Windows XP
    > from the HD.

    I experienced this on an ancient 440BX mobo when the new 12 boxed set CD didn't
    boot, but a 12 ISO I burned on an XP box (much newer) booted just fine. Try
    burning a CD with burnatonce, a freebie iso burner that works great.

    http://www.burnatonce.net/downloads/

    ....then just sub in the newer boxed set CD as you progress with the install.

    nb

  8. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    On 2008-01-22, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>If the 9.1 CD boots from that BIOS, and the 12.0 CD doesn't, then it
    >>would seem to me that it's the 12.0 CD that is broken, not the BIOS.

    > This problem happens with other boot loaders, too. It's not
    > Slackware-specific at all. It's BIOS-specific.
    >
    > There was a change in how the CD was burned that caused this to
    > manifest, but it was a matter of Patrick doing was was technically
    > correct versus bending over backward to cater to old broken BIOSes.
    >
    > One thing I've always liked about Un*x was its tendency to do the right
    > thing.

    If the 'smart boot' floppy works for the older computers, then the
    right thing was done.

    If it doesn't, then what PV has done is to prevent most people with
    older computers from installing a recent Slackware, which is wrong.

    > Search for "boot-load-size" for details.
    >
    >>A lot of computers don't even have floppy drives anymore, so the
    >>Smartboot floppy isn't going to people with those computers a lot of
    >>good.

    > True. But, as we've seen from the link posted elsewhere in this thread,
    > a CD-ROM drive can also be used to around the issue. And fortunately
    > this is something that affects older computers that are more likely to
    > have floppy drives.

    Indeed. If the 'smart boot' floppy works with them. It didn't here.
    The CD wouldn't boot either.

    My BIOS isn't broken. It works just fine.

    PV used to cater to these 'broken BIOSES', why is it suddenly not
    okay to do so? Doesn't make much sense.

    You are saying that he was doing something wrong, for years and
    years and years.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  9. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Tom N wrote:
    >Indeed. If the 'smart boot' floppy works with them. It didn't here.
    >The CD wouldn't boot either.

    The workaround, if you'll be so kind to notice, utilized an old Slack
    CD, which the OP would not have trouble booting.

    >You are saying that [PV] was doing something wrong, for years and years
    >and years.

    He was doing something wrong by his own admission: "Techincally [sic]
    the --boot-load-size should be a lot bigger, like 20 or so in order to
    hold the isolinux.bin boot block. However, setting it to 4 causes it to
    load on more BIOSes. [...] If it's going to be broken for some BIOSes
    either way, I'd rather be correct."

    -Beej

  10. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Wrong, n00b. You're ****ing clueless. It's an obvious BIOS issue.

    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/stfun00bsmallsz7.jpg

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  11. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Tom N wrote:

    > Then why arent't both isos available? The only difference is a little boot
    > code. It's not as if disk space on servers is expensive.

    good question.

    >> Back when Slackware moved from Floppy/CD to CD only not many people
    >> complained. No-one complains today that you can't fit a Slackware package
    >> onto a 1.44MB floppy.

    > Yes they do.

    Yes they do what? Yes they complain? Or yes they fit on a floppy? I said
    both. No-one complains today that you can't fit a Slackware package onto a
    1.44MB floppy.

    Sure there are a few packages that fit on floppies but for the most
    important diskset A there are many important packages that don't fit like
    glibc.

    So the set of people that complain would be equal to the set of people
    installing from floppies.

    >> Change is often hard to accept

    > Bad changes, bad choices, are hard to accept. For good reasons.
    >
    > There are a lot of people around who are blind worshippers of technology,
    > falsely believing that it will solve all of our problems. They think
    > that all new technologies are improvements, which is nonsense.

    This is true but also there are some people who are so afraid of change they
    will do anything to stop it from occurring. Both are delusional.

    >> Did you know you can use the unused RAM on a video card as SWAP space?

    > :-) That's really off the wall. I don't have any video RAM to spare
    > for that and have plenty of swap space on my disk. I've never even
    > used all of my RAM and barely used that swap space, even when
    > compiling a large app from source.

    Always there will be people who think outside of the box, without them we
    would still be sitting outside the cave, without fire and eating raw fish.

    Richard James

  12. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:21:31 -0800, Vwaju wrote:
    >
    >> I purchased the official CD sets for Slackware Linux 9.1 (a few years
    >> ago) and Slackware Linux 12.0 with The Official Guide to Slackware
    >> Linux (a month ago).
    >>
    >> I just reinstalled Slackware Linux 9.1 on my old Dell Dimension
    >> L500r. No problems with this: I insert Disk #1 ("Installation"),
    >> boot bare.i, and everything works without a hitch.
    >>
    >> Now I'm trying to install Slackware Linux 12.0 on my old Dell
    >> Dimension 4100. I load Disk #1 (also labeled "Installation") from
    >> this version, but the CD is bypassed -- the computer boots Windows XP
    >> from the HD. (As a test, I then inserted Disk #1 from the 9.1
    >> version, and I get the prompt to boot bare.i, as expected).
    >>
    >> Should I conclude that my Disk #1 of the 12.0 version is defective, or
    >> am I doing something wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks & Best Regards,
    >>
    >> Vwaju
    >> New York City
    >>

    > Because the computer is refusing to boot from a _bootable CD_, it looks
    > like that computer could have a broken BIOS, as has been discussed here
    > before. This problem cropped up right away when Slackware 12.0 was
    > released. This post on linuxquestions discusses the problem:
    > http://tinyurl.com/36bkcv

    YESSSSS!
    Finally I can boot a SLackware 12 DVD:

    mkisofs -o /home/pub/tmp/slackware-custom-1.iso -R -J -A "Slackware
    Install 1" -hide-rr-moved -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size
    4 -boot-info-table -sort isolinux/iso.sort -b
    isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/isolinux.boot -V "SlackDVD" .

    YES! YES! YES! YES!

    I have a notebook of 2003 and with Slack 9 CD boot, but with Slack 12 didn't
    boot!
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Max

    --
    Cerchi informazioni su Linux?
    Linuxpedia: http://maxint.dynalias.org

  13. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    On 2008-01-23, Richard James wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    > Always there will be people who think outside of the box, without them we
    > would still be sitting outside the cave, without fire and eating raw fish.

    I'd rather sit outside a cave in the tropics and eat sushi
    in the warm air where no fire is necessary than sit in an
    artificially-heated box in an artificial desert (city) dominated
    by sociopaths in speeding metal and glass cans with wheels on
    them and breathing fouled and oxygen-depleted air and eating
    cooked fish raised in a pen on the other side of the world and
    pumped full of chemicals....

    I think you are one of the blind-worshippers of technology I
    referred to in the deleted portion above, though you pretend
    otherwise.

    The fact is, that many cultures on this planet have had
    quality-of-lives for the average person that far exceeded ours.

    Of course, with the bull**** histories and anthropologies we are
    taught in the public schools and colleges, it is very hard to
    know that.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  14. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:45:31 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > I'd rather sit outside a cave in the tropics and eat sushi
    > in the warm air where no fire is necessary than sit in an
    > artificially-heated box in an artificial desert (city) dominated
    > by sociopaths in speeding metal and glass cans with wheels on
    > them and breathing fouled and oxygen-depleted air and eating
    > cooked fish raised in a pen on the other side of the world and
    > pumped full of chemicals....

    But there aren't any Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) in the tropics, are there, Alan?

    Why don't you move to one of those places, catch malaria, and die. That
    would make the world a better place.

  15. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:39:50 +0000, Massimiliano Vessi wrote:

    > Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >> Because the computer is refusing to boot from a _bootable CD_, it looks
    >> like that computer could have a broken BIOS, as has been discussed here
    >> before. This problem cropped up right away when Slackware 12.0 was
    >> released. This post on linuxquestions discusses the problem:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/36bkcv
    >>

    > YESSSSS!
    > Finally I can boot a SLackware 12 DVD:
    >
    > mkisofs -o /home/pub/tmp/slackware-custom-1.iso -R -J -A "Slackware
    > Install 1" -hide-rr-moved -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size
    > 4 -boot-info-table -sort isolinux/iso.sort -b
    > isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/isolinux.boot -V "SlackDVD" .
    >
    > YES! YES! YES! YES!
    >
    > I have a notebook of 2003 and with Slack 9 CD boot, but with Slack 12 didn't
    > boot!
    > Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    > Max

    Good job! Slackware 12 is a big step up from Slackware 9, especially if
    you're using it as a desktop.

    Thanks for posting the complete mkisofs line.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  16. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    In article ,
    Massimiliano Vessi wrote:

    >Finally I can boot a SLackware 12 DVD:
    >
    >mkisofs -o /home/pub/tmp/slackware-custom-1.iso -R -J -A "Slackware
    >Install 1" -hide-rr-moved -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size
    >4 -boot-info-table -sort isolinux/iso.sort -b
    >isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/isolinux.boot -V "SlackDVD" .

    If you believe you need -hide-rr-moved, you are using an outdated version
    of mkisofs. -hide-rr-moved did never work as expected and since 1.5 years,
    there is no visible "rr_moved" directory at all.

    Instead of -d -N better use -iso-level 4

    use the latest source from:

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  17. Re: Installing Slackware Linux 12.0

    Tom N wrote:
    (some totally unhelpful stuff)

    Would you please (note that I am asking politely) not attempt to insert
    yourself into every thread? If you look back at this thread, you will see
    that Douglas Mayne solved the OP's problem, resulting in the OP's
    gratitude. You, on the other hand, just made barely relevant noises,
    resulting in nothing but annoyance.
    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca