Wanting Advice Please... - Slackware

This is a discussion on Wanting Advice Please... - Slackware ; On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:02:33 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote: > If you _want_ to learn, nothing can stop you....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. Re: Tower of Babel Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:02:33 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > If you _want_ to learn, nothing can stop you.

  2. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    alex wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:44:25 +0000, Blazar Jet wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to learn how to program.
    >>>
    >>> Where should I start?

    >> Turbo Pascal (for DOS).

    > Why not debug.exe for DOS? :P U can code there too

    Actually I wrote some nice little .com utillities with debug. I
    had a batch file feeding small assembler scripts to debug.
    Usually you had to run it twice, fixing the line numbers for your
    jumps.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  3. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:28:52 +0000, Blazar Jet wrote:

    > Ok. Is most of this online or am I going to be buying a lot of books?

    *******
    Here are some directories of free on-line books, BJ.
    *******

    http://2020ok.com/5.htm

    http://www.mindviewinc.com/Index.php

    http://www.computer-books.us/

    http://freecomputerbooks.com/unixBooksIndex.html

    http://www.oreilly.com/store/complete.csp

    http://www.freetechbooks.com/

    http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/index.html

    *******
    And here are some sites for tutorials.
    *******

    http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat2.html

    http://www.programmertutorials.com/

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...MW03&S_CMP=EDU

    http://www.techtutorials.net/

    http://www.tutorialized.com/

    *******
    And here's a tutorial search engine.
    *******

    http://www.pixel2life.com/

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  4. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    Joerg wrote:

    > alex wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> Turbo Pascal (for DOS).

    >> Why not debug.exe for DOS? :P U can code there too

    > Actually I wrote some nice little .com utillities with debug. I
    > had a batch file feeding small assembler scripts to debug.
    > Usually you had to run it twice, fixing the line numbers for your
    > jumps.

    I wrote reset.com by hand pretty small too considering it only had like two
    instructions.

    I don't grok x86 assembly. Maybe one day when I get the time I'll try my
    hand at it again and write a game for DOS. Dosbox is a great emulator for
    that stuff.

    I'm quite intrigued by the segmented memory model. At first it disgusted me
    because my previous machine to my first PC was a Atari ST 68000 which uses
    a flat memory model. Then I did some more VIC20 assembly programming and
    realized that the Zero Page memory was very limited in size. It would be
    nice if the 6502 had another register so you could re-align the zero-page
    to some where else in memory. Later (late 2007) I found out there is a
    processor that is backwards compatible with the 6502 that does have a
    moving zero page.

    So I was wondering if the segmented memory model was not just a way to get
    around the problem of having 65K RAM but also a way of getting around hard
    coded things like the stack. In the 6502 the stack is always in the same
    memory position. Now segmented memory seems pretty ingenious to me. But the
    again so did LEA when I first saw it.

    Richard James

  5. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    Tom N says:
    >On 2008-01-22, Richard James wrote:
    >> Blazar Jet wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to learn how to program.
    >>>
    >>> Where should I start?

    >> If you just want to do hobbyist programming then go for the scripting
    >> languages python and ruby.

    >Better to start with bash. That way he'll learn how to run his computer
    >without KDE or the like at the same time he's picking up the basics
    >of programming.

    If you knew anything about "programming", you'd know that learning
    bash won't take you anywhere near the "basics of programming." But
    since a little bit of bash is about all you know, we can see why you
    would make that mistake.

    IOW, once again you have made a complete ass of yourself. It
    doesn't end, does it?

    cordially, even to pure trash,

    rm

  6. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    Blazar Jet says:
    >Tom N wrote:

    >> On 2008-01-22, Blazar Jet wrote:
    >>> I would like to learn how to program.

    >>> Where should I start?

    >> Bash then C.

    >Bash? Interesting.

    Those who advise you to learn bash first likely only know bash and
    fancy themselves programmers on that basis. Only by the loosest of
    definitions can bash be considered a programming language.

    >I am looking to learn the basics - will Bash allow me to learn the
    >basics of programming style and structure. I sure don't want a
    >repeat of my BASIC programming experience (1980s Basic).

    At least bash doesn't force you to use line numbers...

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  7. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > IOW, once again you have made a complete ass of yourself.

    So unusual to be in complete agreement with you. Feeling better? You were
    gone for a while.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  8. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    Old Man wrote:
    > Realto Margarino wrote:
    >
    >> IOW, once again you have made a complete ass of yourself.

    > So unusual to be in complete agreement with you. Feeling better? You were
    > gone for a while.

    It would be fun to watch the two trolls duke it out.

    - Kurt

  9. Re: Wanting Advice Please...

    ~kurt wrote:

    > It would be fun to watch the two trolls duke it out.

    Careful what you wish for.