accessing harddrive or flash drive - Slackware

This is a discussion on accessing harddrive or flash drive - Slackware ; hi i just installed slackware 12. However, everytime i try to access my external usb hard drive or flash drive i get the following message A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 107

  1. accessing harddrive or flash drive

    hi

    i just installed slackware 12. However, everytime i try to access my
    external usb hard drive or flash drive i get the following message

    A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file
    (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"
    member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination
    "org.freedesktop.Hal").

    i can see the drives but i can not open the drives or write to them.
    can you help.

    thanks

  2. Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive

    gamalt2@yahoo.com wrote :

    > i just installed slackware 12. However, everytime i try to access my
    > external usb hard drive or flash drive i get the following message

    Its HAL thats troubling you. Be sure your user is member of these groups:
    floppy, audio, video, cdrom and plugdev. Then run this command:
    #/etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus reload

    Next time your user log in it should work.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive

    gamalt2@yahoo.com wrote:

    > A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    > message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file ...

    See http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt and look for the section
    titled, "Removable devices aren't auto-mounting on Slackware-12.0 with
    HAL".

    I hope that helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  4. HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-21, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > gamalt2@yahoo.com wrote :
    >
    >> i just installed slackware 12. However, everytime i try to access my
    >> external usb hard drive or flash drive i get the following message

    > Its HAL thats troubling you. Be sure your user is member of these groups:
    > floppy, audio, video, cdrom and plugdev. Then run this command:
    > #/etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus reload
    >
    > Next time your user log in it should work.

    So what is HAL? I can't find any reference to it with type or apropos or locate
    or info nor in manifest.bz2, using HAL, hal, and Hal search strings. (12.0)

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  5. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N. wrote :

    > So what is HAL?

    Hardware Abstraction Layer.

    > I can't find any reference to it with type or apropos or locate
    > or info nor in manifest.bz2, using HAL, hal, and Hal search strings. (12.0)

    There's a bit about HAL in ANNOUNCE.12_0, CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and 'man hald'.
    --
    Thomas O.

  6. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:27:22 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Its HAL thats troubling you. Be sure your user is member of these
    >> groups: floppy, audio, video, cdrom and plugdev. Then run this command:
    >> #/etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus reload
    >>
    >> Next time your user log in it should work.

    > So what is HAL?

    I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't tell that.

  7. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-21, Mark South wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:27:22 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> Its HAL thats troubling you. Be sure your user is member of these
    >>> groups: floppy, audio, video, cdrom and plugdev. Then run this command:
    >>> #/etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus reload
    >>>
    >>> Next time your user log in it should work.

    >> So what is HAL?

    > I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't tell that.

    Well, Dan C, considering that you can't wipe your own ass
    without reviewing "Little Timmy Does a Doo-Doo", the chances
    of you being able to answer the question are slim to none,
    aren't they?

    I'm adding this name of yours to my personal troll list.

    Get a life.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  8. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-21, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Tom N. wrote :
    >
    >> So what is HAL?

    > Hardware Abstraction Layer.
    >
    >> I can't find any reference to it with type or apropos or locate
    >> or info nor in manifest.bz2, using HAL, hal, and Hal search strings. (12.0)

    > There's a bit about HAL in ANNOUNCE.12_0, CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and 'man hald'.

    Thanks, Thomas,

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  9. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:32:35 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >>> So what is HAL?

    >> I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't tell that.

    > Well, Dan C, considering that you can't wipe your own ass
    > without reviewing "Little Timmy Does a Doo-Doo", the chances
    > of you being able to answer the question are slim to none,
    > aren't they?

    LOL! First of all, it wasn't me that answered you, which any fool could
    easily tell by looking at headers. I guess you don't know about that,
    though, huh dimwit? Secondly, I know just fine what HAL is, and the other
    poster's comment was a reference to the HAL9000 computer in the movie
    "2001: A Space Odyssey", which obviously went **WHOOSH**!! right over your
    head. You're pathetic.

    > I'm adding this name of yours to my personal troll list.

    Har! You do that, Alan.

    > Tom

    Your name is "Alan Connor". Try to remember that, dumbass.
    I may have to look up your old buddy "Sam" and let him know you're over
    here now, with a new name...

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  10. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 21 Jan 2008 18:27:44 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    modquote!?

    >> So what is HAL?

    >I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't tell that.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  11. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-21, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-21, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >>
    >> Tom N. wrote :
    >>
    >>> So what is HAL?

    >> Hardware Abstraction Layer.
    >>
    >>> I can't find any reference to it with type or apropos or locate
    >>> or info nor in manifest.bz2, using HAL, hal, and Hal search strings. (12.0)

    >> There's a bit about HAL in ANNOUNCE.12_0, CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and 'man hald'.

    > Thanks, Thomas,
    >
    > Tom

    Apparently I don't have hald here. Can't find a trace.

    I don't think I am missing anything.

    Except unnecessary problems.

    I must have passed on installing the package because I didn't
    know what it was about. Which is a rule I have never had any
    regrets over adopting.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  12. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N (tom@somewhere.invalid) writes:

    >>> So what is HAL?

    >> I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't tell that.

    > Well, Dan C, considering that you can't wipe your own ass
    > without reviewing "Little Timmy Does a Doo-Doo", the chances
    > of you being able to answer the question are slim to none,
    > aren't they?

    It was a joke, based on this classic movie called "2001: A Space
    Odyssey". IN said movie, the talking computer is called HAL,
    and at one point the computer says "I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't
    tell that", though it wasn't "Tom" but someone else.

    When in doubt, do a websearch. For a general description, even wikipedia
    is bound to be of use, and that makes it easy to get some result without
    wading through irrelevant hits and even a lot that has nothing to do
    with describing it.

    Yes, it more or less was slipped in to Slack 12, and it was the first
    I'd heard of it (though admittedly I don't pay much attention to the
    other distributions). Until one gets a good definition, it's hard
    to imagine its purpose, or to figure out whether it's to blame for
    a lot of problems, or is a scapegoat.

    Of course, when Slack 12 was released, HAL did get a fair amount
    of discussion here.

    All that aside, I'd rather be on the troll list than not.

    Michael

  13. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 05:30:36 +1100, Grant wrote:

    > On 21 Jan 2008 18:27:44 +0100, Mark South
    > wrote:
    >
    > modquote!?
    >
    >>> So what is HAL?

    >>I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't tell that.

    oh yes! let's the great bitbucket break loose
    and launch the eight ball:
    <<1<<1<<1<<1

    ;-)

  14. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-21, Tom N wrote:
    > Apparently I don't have hald here. Can't find a trace.
    >
    > I don't think I am missing anything.
    >
    > Except unnecessary problems.
    >
    > I must have passed on installing the package because I didn't
    > know what it was about. Which is a rule I have never had any
    > regrets over adopting.

    FYI, there's a sticky at linuxquestions.org, in the slackware forum, on HAL
    and slack 12.0

    ken

  15. Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:44:47 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > gamalt2@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
    >> message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file ...

    > See http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt and look for the section
    > titled, "Removable devices aren't auto-mounting on Slackware-12.0 with
    > HAL".
    >
    > I hope that helps ...

    And, in case someone'd prefer to click on a link instead of
    using the slash-key (I heard there are some) it'll be
    http://l0k1.free.fr/aolsfaq.html#XX104
    in the unashamed HTML rendering of the original txt. ;D)

    OMG, I just can't believe, years and years of war in the
    dark (obviously) against spammers and here I am, in the
    open, struttin' as a pusher ;D)

  16. Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive

    hi

    i like to tell you that i see the devices of my external flash and
    hard drive in the system:/media/sdg1.
    i used also your command, but no changes, i still get the same message
    and i can not acces the devices.

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > gamalt2@yahoo.com wrote :
    >
    > > i just installed slackware 12. However, everytime i try to access my
    > > external usb hard drive or flash drive i get the following message

    > Its HAL thats troubling you. Be sure your user is member of these groups:
    > floppy, audio, video, cdrom and plugdev. Then run this command:
    > #/etc/rc.d/rc.messagebus reload
    >
    > Next time your user log in it should work.
    > --
    > Thomas O.
    >
    > This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

  17. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    http://www.palantir.net/2001/sounds.html

    Tom N wrote:

    > So what is HAL?

  18. Apologies to Mark South (was: Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive))

    On 2008-01-21, Michael Black wrote:
    > Tom N (tom@somewhere.invalid) writes:

    >>> I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't tell that.

    >> Well, Dan C, considering that you can't wipe your own ass
    >> without reviewing "Little Timmy Does a Doo-Doo", the chances
    >> of you being able to answer the question are slim to none,
    >> aren't they?
    >>

    > It was a joke, based on this classic movie called "2001: A Space
    > Odyssey". IN said movie, the talking computer is called HAL,
    > and at one point the computer says "I'm sorry, Tom, I'm afraid I can't
    > tell that", though it wasn't "Tom" but someone else.
    >
    > When in doubt, do a websearch. For a general description, even wikipedia
    > is bound to be of use, and that makes it easy to get some result without
    > wading through irrelevant hits and even a lot that has nothing to do
    > with describing it.
    >
    > Yes, it more or less was slipped in to Slack 12, and it was the first
    > I'd heard of it (though admittedly I don't pay much attention to the
    > other distributions). Until one gets a good definition, it's hard
    > to imagine its purpose, or to figure out whether it's to blame for
    > a lot of problems, or is a scapegoat.

    Well, I'm running Slack 12.0 without it, and it is working just fine.

    > Of course, when Slack 12 was released, HAL did get a fair amount
    > of discussion here.
    >
    > All that aside, I'd rather be on the troll list than not.
    >
    > Michael

    Really? You'd rather I hadn't read this article you posted to me?
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you think that the
    trolls deserve to be handled with kid gloves, or something.
    Sorry, they should be thrown off the usenet. And they would
    be if people (like you?) didn't keep feeding them and/or
    cutting them slack they don't deserve.

    Or they'd modify their behavior, which would be a better
    outcome.

    I'm not perfect, Michael, and I make mistakes like every other
    human being.

    Seemingly stupid and annoying responses from names I've never
    seen before that don't contain intelligent material related
    to the question posed are the hallmark of a troll.

    To Mark South I formally apologize.

    What you said is actually very funny, now that Michael
    Federico have clued me in.

    But no apology is forthcoming to that usenet vermin Dan C,
    who has earned that sort of response with his behavior.

    Thanks for setting me straight here, Michael. Thanks
    for taking the time. I saw that movie, but it was
    a long, long, time ago and I was probably stoned
    to the gills. I'm thinking it was "Dave", rather
    than "Tom", right?

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  19. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-21, No_One wrote:
    > On 2008-01-21, Tom N wrote:
    >> Apparently I don't have hald here. Can't find a trace.
    >>
    >> I don't think I am missing anything.
    >>
    >> Except unnecessary problems.
    >>
    >> I must have passed on installing the package because I didn't
    >> know what it was about. Which is a rule I have never had any
    >> regrets over adopting.

    > FYI, there's a sticky at linuxquestions.org, in the slackware forum, on HAL
    > and slack 12.0

    Thank you Ian. I'll check it out.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  20. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-21, Federico Savini wrote:
    > http://www.palantir.net/2001/sounds.html
    >
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> So what is HAL?