accessing harddrive or flash drive - Slackware

This is a discussion on accessing harddrive or flash drive - Slackware ; On 2008-01-23, Two Ravens 1 wrote: The only thing I learned from reading this post is that this fellow likes to hear himself talk. Tom...

  1. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Two Ravens 1 wrote:

    The only thing I learned from reading this post is that this
    fellow likes to hear himself talk.

    Tom

  2. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-23, Two Ravens 1 wrote:
    >

    > The only thing I learned from reading this post is that this
    > fellow likes to hear himself talk.

    And that he's confused.

    Hmmmmm.....Likes to hear himself talk? Confused? A stupid name I've
    never seen before?

    Sounds like old Dan C(unt) to me.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  3. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N writes:

    n> On 2008-01-23, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-23, Two Ravens 1 wrote:
    >>

    >> The only thing I learned from reading this post is that this
    >> fellow likes to hear himself talk.
    >>

    > And that he's confused.
    >
    > Hmmmmm.....Likes to hear himself talk? Confused? A stupid name I've
    > never seen before?
    > Sounds like old Dan C(unt) to me.

    That's only because you haven't been reading/posting here for very long -
    or simply not paying attention.

    Paranoid? Posturing? Blow-hard?

    Sounds like Old Alan Connor to me!

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  4. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N wrote:
    >On 2008-01-23, Keith Keller wrote:
    >> This is such an incredibly short-sighted and stupid perspective that
    >> only you could have presented it.

    >Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    I don't think so, in this case.

    Premise: Tom holds this perspective.
    Conclusion: It is incredibly short-sighted.

    That's ad hominem.

    But what we have here is:

    Premise: This is an incredibly short-sighted perspective.
    Conclusion: Tom must have presented it.

    That's just an insult.

    -Beej

  5. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>On 2008-01-23, Keith Keller wrote:
    >>> This is such an incredibly short-sighted and stupid perspective that
    >>> only you could have presented it.

    >>Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    > I don't think so, in this case.
    >
    > Premise: Tom holds this perspective.
    > Conclusion: It is incredibly short-sighted.
    >
    > That's ad hominem.
    >
    > But what we have here is:
    >
    > Premise: This is an incredibly short-sighted perspective.
    > Conclusion: Tom must have presented it.
    >
    > That's just an insult.
    >
    > -Beej

    So this is what you offer in lieu of taking on my response to your claim
    that there can be no bash desktop environment?

    It's a mighty poor substitute.

    And I won't accept it.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  6. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>On 2008-01-23, Keith Keller wrote:
    >>> This is such an incredibly short-sighted and stupid perspective that
    >>> only you could have presented it.

    >>Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    > I don't think so, in this case.
    >
    > Premise: Tom holds this perspective.
    > Conclusion: It is incredibly short-sighted.
    >
    > That's ad hominem.
    >
    > But what we have here is:
    >
    > Premise: This is an incredibly short-sighted perspective.
    > Conclusion: Tom must have presented it.
    >
    > That's just an insult.
    >
    > -Beej

    Well, we just use different dictionaries, Beej. And they are all,
    like maps, out-of-date before they are even published, and are just some
    group or person's opinion on the scope of the language at the
    time, generally lagging about 20 years behind the popular usage
    that is responsible for the words and the language to begin with.

    If you think this bull**** is an acceptable substitute for responding to
    my reply on your specious claim that there is no bash desktop environment,
    you are sadly mistaken.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  7. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-23, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    >> Tom N wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    >> I don't think so, in this case.
    >>
    >> Premise: Tom holds this perspective.
    >> Conclusion: It is incredibly short-sighted.
    >>
    >> That's ad hominem.
    >>
    >> But what we have here is:
    >>
    >> Premise: This is an incredibly short-sighted perspective.
    >> Conclusion: Tom must have presented it.
    >>
    >> That's just an insult.
    >>
    >> -Beej
    >>

    > So this is what you offer in lieu of taking on my response to your claim
    > that there can be no bash desktop environment?
    >
    > It's a mighty poor substitute.
    >
    > And I won't accept it.
    >
    > Tom

    Oops. This was a rough draft that accidentally got posted.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  8. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>On 2008-01-23, Keith Keller wrote:
    >>> This is such an incredibly short-sighted and stupid perspective that
    >>> only you could have presented it.

    >>Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    > I don't think so, in this case.
    >
    > Premise: Tom holds this perspective.
    > Conclusion: It is incredibly short-sighted.
    >
    > That's ad hominem.
    >
    > But what we have here is:
    >
    > Premise: This is an incredibly short-sighted perspective.
    > Conclusion: Tom must have presented it.
    >
    > That's just an insult.

    I am gratified that you were able to follow my twisted logic. ;-)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  9. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:09:49 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > On 2008-01-23, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    >> Tom N wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    >> I don't think so, in this case.
    >>
    >> Premise: Tom holds this perspective.
    >> Conclusion: It is incredibly short-sighted.
    >>
    >> That's ad hominem.
    >>
    >> But what we have here is:
    >>
    >> Premise: This is an incredibly short-sighted perspective. Conclusion:
    >> Tom must have presented it.
    >>
    >> That's just an insult.
    >>
    >> -Beej
    >>

    > Well, we just use different dictionaries, Beej. And they are all, like
    > maps, out-of-date before they are even published, and are just some
    > group or person's opinion on the scope of the language at the time,
    > generally lagging about 20 years behind the popular usage that is
    > responsible for the words and the language to begin with.
    >
    > If you think this bull**** is an acceptable substitute for responding to
    > my reply on your specious claim that there is no bash desktop
    > environment, you are sadly mistaken.
    >
    > Tom

    remember that hint about using 'follow-up: poster'?
    it'd certainly help you to use it a while before all replies
    to your posts become such, or even worser and worser (said the cat7r ;-)

  10. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:09:49 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    I wonder why no one gets on YOUR case about not trimming your posts.

    > remember that hint about using 'follow-up: poster'?
    > it'd certainly help you to use it a while before all replies
    > to your posts become such, or even worser and worser (said the cat7r ;-)

    Yeh. I remember the hint about the "follow-up: poster" and that I asked you
    the last time what it meant, and you didn't reply.

    So I still don't know what you are talking about.

    But don't let that mere detail slow you down.

    Doesn't slow me down. I obviously get along just fine without knowing
    what you are talking about here.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  11. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N wrote:

    > Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    gratuitous: being without apparent reason, cause, or justification: a
    gratuitous insult.

    Nope, nothing gratuitous about it. Well earned, in fact. It's good to see
    that Mr. Keller is breathing again.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  12. Re: Apologies to Mark South (was: Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive))

    Tom N wrote:

    > On 2008-01-22, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    >> Too much quoting! Try to quote only the relevant parts while preserving
    >> attribution. (In this case, one sentence that said "HAL" would have
    >> been sufficient.)

    > You can ASK me to do something, Beej. You can't tell me.
    >
    > I don't take orders from you.

    > Tom

    It wasn't an order, fool, it was a complaint. If you continue to make a
    complete ass of youself, people with complain, and you'll live with it.

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  13. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N wrote:

    > On 2008-01-23, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-23, Two Ravens 1 wrote:
    >>

    >> The only thing I learned from reading this post is that this
    >> fellow likes to hear himself talk.

    Google Groups, posting history, alt.os.linux.slackware, January 23rd
    2008.
    Tom N 133
    Two Ravens 003

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  14. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > You're not using a bash desktop. You're using X11 with a bunch of bash
    > shells open. That's not the same thing. A true ''bash desktop'' would
    > be one shell open spawning jobs (even other shells) without X11.

    "Desktop," like all terms, means whatever is convenient to Tom at the
    moment. It is his prerogative as King Jackass to define terms and to
    change definitions at will and as needed to maintain his delusion that he
    is winning the "debate."

    Jackass: a man who is a stupid incompetent fool [syn: fathead]

    --
    Old Man

    "Swagger isn't courage." Lee Iacocca

  15. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N wrote:
    >>> In-other-words, Making Linux a commercial OS rather than an
    >>> amateur one, suitable for ignorant appliance operators.

    >> and the beauty of open source is that they can. and even if they do, *you*
    >> can still use the OS the way *you* want to.

    > Maybe. The problem with commercial OSes

    huh? i'm not talking about commercial OSes! i'm talking about freedesktop.org!

    [bash "desktop"]
    > Well, I'm using it, so it must exist.
    >
    > Wishing upon a star won't make it go away.

    tom, you're completely missing my point. i'm not claiming that there are
    actions or programs that you can perform on a computer that a bash shell
    won't allow you to do. i'm claiming that a bash shell (and any text
    interface) displays the actions, programs and files in a different manner
    than what is generally known as a "desktop". hence "bash desktop" is simply
    a misnomer. period.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  16. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Tom N wrote:
    > What others do is their business, but I won't support them and I'll
    > critcize them.

    so you basically criticise people only because they do things differently
    than you? that's one of the silliest reasons for criticising people
    imaginable.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  17. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    caught out ****tart, yet again... he called you for what you are, a troll,
    and trust me fool, if theres anyone here who loves to see his own drool,
    its you.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  18. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>On 2008-01-23, Keith Keller wrote:
    >>> This is such an incredibly short-sighted and stupid perspective that
    >>> only you could have presented it.

    >>Sure enough, you begin with a gratuitous, ad hominem attack.

    > I don't think so, in this case.
    >
    > Premise: Tom holds this perspective.
    > Conclusion: It is incredibly short-sighted.
    >
    > That's ad hominem.
    >
    > But what we have here is:
    >
    > Premise: This is an incredibly short-sighted perspective.
    > Conclusion: Tom must have presented it.
    >
    > That's just an insult.

    -RW

  19. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    On 2008-01-23, Two Ravens wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-01-23, Tom N wrote:
    >>> On 2008-01-23, Two Ravens 1 wrote:
    >>>

    >>> The only thing I learned from reading this post is that this
    >>> fellow likes to hear himself talk.
    >>>

    > Google Groups, posting history, alt.os.linux.slackware, January 23rd
    > 2008.
    > Tom N 133
    > Two Ravens 003

    Hmm... What's the word I'm trying to find here? bah...

    Oh yeah! I know...

    PWND!!!!!

    -RW

  20. Re: HAL (was: Re: accessing harddrive or flash drive)

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > Tom N wrote:
    >> What others do is their business, but I won't support them and I'll
    >> critcize them.

    > so you basically criticise people only because they do things differently
    > than you? that's one of the silliest reasons for criticising people
    > imaginable.

    No sillier is criticizing people because you think they they do things
    differently than you, without even checking that is the case.

    I should know I used to think like that when I was mentally ill, well not
    precisely the same but with the same error thinking I knew what people
    actually thought. Commonly referred to as "magical thinking".

    Example:
    Joost complains about my posting style therefore he thinks nasty thoughts
    about me therefore he is a nasty person.

    But Tom N doesn't fall for that sort of magical thinking. Keith had to
    actually insult him for real to get a response.

    Don't ask me I'm neither a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist I just happen to
    know how some mentally ill people think from personal experience.

    Richard James