Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

  1. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    No, that's bull****.

    > You reap what you sow.

    You'd better hope for crop failure.

    > Nobody's telling ME what I can talk about, I can assure you that.
    > I'll see this group destroyed before I'll allow that to happen.

    You have an inflated sense of self-importance.

    Nobody gives a rat's rectum what type of desktop environment you use.
    YOU use whatever suits your needs, and I will use whatever suits MY needs.

    -RW

  2. Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12)

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:38:10 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:13:28 +0100, Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:39:00 +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hallo, Mark,
    >>>
    >>> Du meintest am 25.01.08:

    >>> May be.

    >> :-)
    >>
    >>> I try to find slackware informations in this newsgroup. But I find
    >>> mostly (?) troll discussions. Troll freedings.

    >> That's the way it looks from where I'm sitting too.

    > And it doesn't get better when seen from here ;D)
    >
    >>> No other newsgroup I'm reading (about 60 newsgroups) has so much
    >>> trolls.

    > You're quite lucky then! From time to time even *.dev.null,
    > junk and *.test groups get flooded by trolls and/or spammers )

    The latest is the floods of long articles full of random text, posted
    with the same names and details as existing posters.

    I can't think why they do it unless they are mail spambots that are
    picking up on O*tl**k Expr*ss posting history. Or something.

    >> It's normally even worse in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, if that makes you feel
    >> any better.

    > Ubuntu? That sig b0rk3r?

    It doesn't generally break sigs, it's just that Dan C hasn't gotten over
    the scare it gave him when he tried it ;-)

    >>> That's bad for the image, for the reputation of slackware.

    >> The only solution would be for there to be more Slackware discussion.

    > That's true, and if you look very closely to the group there is
    > but the problem with Slackware is taht it's almost perfect so questions
    > are few, except when there are flood from newcomers already slightly
    > shocked by a previous OS or WM ;-)

    That and the fact that people asking questions about Slackware related
    distros are told to &%ç&*ç$ off and die, and that newbies take one look
    in here and run away. (Quite rightly too!)

    Basically, I am agreeing with Helmut.

    > "We all live on the edge of town
    > Where we all live, ain't a soul around People start a-comin', all we do
    > is just a-grin Said we've gotta move out 'cause city's movin' in"

    I'm pretty sure that's not Puccini.

    >> As it is, the trolls are mostly filling in empty space :-(

    > Ah, that's just empty space afterall, and you know there's always
    > room for a beer when all empty space is full ;-)

    It's Friday, and I'm making sure to keep an empty space for just that
    purpose.

    >>> Viele Gruesse

    >> Mes meilleurs pour un bon weekend.

    > ^
    > ¿voeux?

    In informal French, the "voeux" is often left implied, as in English one
    normally signs off with "all the best", short for "wishing you all the
    best".

    But you probably already knew that, and you think it's funny to troll me
    in this thread :-)

    > Adessias!

    Wishing you six of the best,
    Mark
    --
    Signature was unable to translate Ubuntu into Hakka

  3. Re: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12

    Chick Tower wrote:

    Stop that. You know uber-NOOB can't help him/herself. Any more baiting like that and I'm going to
    start suspecting that you're one of those people who likes to pull the wings off flies.

    --
    let's review the rules
    1. Feed a cold

  4. Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12)

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:38:04 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    >>> That's the way it looks from where I'm sitting too.

    >> And it doesn't get better when seen from here ;D)

    >> You're quite lucky then! From time to time even *.dev.null,
    >> junk and *.test groups get flooded by trolls and/or spammers )

    > The latest is the floods of long articles full of random text, posted
    > with the same names and details as existing posters.
    >
    > I can't think why they do it unless they are mail spambots that are
    > picking up on O*tl**k Expr*ss posting history. Or something.

    Most prolly "something", in EU that's essentially from people
    paid by govs and kin to pressure down people until they're
    numb enough to think that crooks are eagles and commershil
    streaming is the same as free exchange. In short SP and RIAA
    got angry at being flashed going too far at putting out the
    fire with gasoline (or Cactus cripplers on CDs) so they're sending
    out their dummies and boys for ribs.

    >>> The only solution would be for there to be more Slackware discussion.

    >> That's true, and if you look very closely to the group there is
    >> but the problem with Slackware is taht it's almost perfect so questions
    >> are few, except when there are flood from newcomers already slightly
    >> shocked by a previous OS or WM ;-)

    > That and the fact that people asking questions about Slackware related
    > distros are told to &%ç&*ç$ off and die, and that newbies take one look
    > in here and run away. (Quite rightly too!)

    Er... Do you mean you think someone would pay attention to a post
    that'd be only a sequence of random 4 letters words?

    > Basically, I am agreeing with Helmut.

    About which basical point? If we're going *that far* in virtualization
    of semantics I'd even basically admit I'm on the same page as 'Dan C'
    though I'm not reading that page with the same spectacles ;D)
    If you meant you're agreeing with Helmut that a .sig *has* to be
    b0rk3n an *must* contain slanderous and childish allegations you
    can count me out ;D)

    >> "We all live on the edge of town
    >> Where we all live, ain't a soul around People start a-comin', all we do
    >> is just a-grin Said we've gotta move out 'cause city's movin' in"

    > I'm pretty sure that's not Puccini.

    Certainly not, although Stefano Tallarico and Giacomo are related
    on .it atavism :-)

    >>> As it is, the trolls are mostly filling in empty space :-(

    >> Ah, that's just empty space afterall, and you know there's always
    >> room for a beer when all empty space is full ;-)

    > It's Friday, and I'm making sure to keep an empty space for just that
    > purpose.

    I'll try my best to do the same, best wishes for you
    and good luck with your six 6-pack-s !-)

  5. Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12)

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:03:29 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    >>> And it doesn't get better when seen from here ;D)

    >>> You're quite lucky then! From time to time even *.dev.null,
    >>> junk and *.test groups get flooded by trolls and/or spammers )

    >> The latest is the floods of long articles full of random text, posted
    >> with the same names and details as existing posters.
    >>
    >> I can't think why they do it unless they are mail spambots that are
    >> picking up on O*tl**k Expr*ss posting history. Or something.

    > Most prolly "something", in EU that's essentially from people
    > paid by govs and kin to pressure down people until they're numb enough
    > to think that crooks are eagles and commershil streaming is the same as
    > free exchange. In short SP and RIAA got angry at being flashed going too
    > far at putting out the fire with gasoline (or Cactus cripplers on CDs)
    > so they're sending out their dummies and boys for ribs.

    Hmm. Let's try the logic:

    Dumb spam postings that make no sense are made on the Net.
    The RIAA are dumb and evil.
    The RIAA mainly does stuff that makes no sense.
    Spam postings are evil.

    ERGO: The RIAA is behind the senseless spam postings.

    Eehah, works for me! :-)

    >>> That's true, and if you look very closely to the group there is
    >>> but the problem with Slackware is taht it's almost perfect so
    >>> questions are few, except when there are flood from newcomers already
    >>> slightly shocked by a previous OS or WM ;-)

    >> That and the fact that people asking questions about Slackware related
    >> distros are told to &%ç&*ç$ off and die, and that newbies take one look
    >> in here and run away. (Quite rightly too!)

    > Er... Do you mean you think someone would pay attention to a post
    > that'd be only a sequence of random 4 letters words?

    It tends to be the same 4-letter word, usually. In Dan's case, normally
    followed by "windroid", although I notice that he currently appears to
    prefer "STFU n00b" :-)

    >> Basically, I am agreeing with Helmut.

    > About which basical point? If we're going *that far* in virtualization
    > of semantics I'd even basically admit I'm on the same page as 'Dan C'
    > though I'm not reading that page with the same spectacles ;D)

    About something or other. It's now so far upthread that I'd need my axe
    and crampons to get up there to check.

    > If you meant you're agreeing with Helmut that a .sig *has* to be
    > b0rk3n an *must* contain slanderous and childish allegations you can
    > count me out ;D)

    Well, my .sig has been missing since at least 2002, barring occasional
    appearances, but I really think it only comes back now and then to check
    if I've stocked the fridge with beer.

    >>> "We all live on the edge of town
    >>> Where we all live, ain't a soul around People start a-comin', all we
    >>> do is just a-grin Said we've gotta move out 'cause city's movin' in"

    >> I'm pretty sure that's not Puccini.

    > Certainly not, although Stefano Tallarico and Giacomo are related
    > on .it atavism :-)

    One of my close neighbours turns out to be related to the mathematical
    Bernoulli family, so anything's possible.

    >>> Ah, that's just empty space afterall, and you know there's always
    >>> room for a beer when all empty space is full ;-)

    >> It's Friday, and I'm making sure to keep an empty space for just that
    >> purpose.

    > I'll try my best to do the same, best wishes for you and good luck with
    > your six 6-pack-s !-)

    Cheers!
    Mark
    --
    Signature is so happy that it's offering to buy the next round.

  6. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    On 2008-01-25, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-01-25, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-25, Mark South wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The only solution would be for there to be more Slackware discussion. As
    >>> it is, the trolls are mostly filling in empty space :-(

    >> The regulars are more concerned with suppressing any deviations from
    >> the mandates of the living god PV than they are with discussing Slackware.
    >>
    >> PV has decreed that KDE is to be the user interface used by Slackers,
    >> and therefore it's written in stone and not to be questioned by mere
    >> mortals.
    >>
    >> (Yes, that's sarcasm.)

    > No, that's bull****.

    In part. Mostly, we are dealing with lazy ****ers from the
    Windows world who want to use Linux but don't want to learn
    anything new, so they use KDE.

    >> You reap what you sow.

    > You'd better hope for crop failure.

    I'll hope for whatever I want to hope for.

    And I'll work towards achieving it.

    If my choices bother you, you can always **** yourself.

    If you think you can stop me, you are as stupid as the
    trolls.

    Whom, as near as I can tell, are quite literally insane.

    >> Nobody's telling ME what I can talk about, I can assure you that.
    >> I'll see this group destroyed before I'll allow that to happen.

    > You have an inflated sense of self-importance.

    No. I just know how to manipulate trolls and schoolyard bullies,
    of which there are plenty among the regulars here.

    > Nobody gives a rat's rectum what type of desktop environment you use.
    > YOU use whatever suits your needs, and I will use whatever suits MY needs.
    >
    > -RW

    Of course. And I will say what I have to say on this group, and you'll
    live with it. If you try to harass me for saying it, I'll make you wear a gag
    when you are in my newsreader, as I have done with a number of the
    punks here who think they own this public forum.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  7. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    On 2008-01-26, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-25, Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2008-01-25, Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >>> You reap what you sow.

    >> You'd better hope for crop failure.

    > I'll hope for whatever I want to hope for.
    >
    > And I'll work towards achieving it.
    >
    > If my choices bother you, you can always **** yourself.
    >
    > If you think you can stop me, you are as stupid as the
    > trolls.

    See, THAT is why you should hope for crop failure.

    Oh, and whether I can or can't stop you is irrelevant; what matters
    is whether you're worth the time and effort it would require.

    >>> Nobody's telling ME what I can talk about, I can assure you that.
    >>> I'll see this group destroyed before I'll allow that to happen.

    >> You have an inflated sense of self-importance.

    > No. I just know how to manipulate trolls and schoolyard bullies,
    > of which there are plenty among the regulars here.

    Yes indeed. It's funny how spewing misinformation and misunderstanding
    to an audience will manipulate the "trolls" and "bullies" to try and
    clear it all up.

    >> Nobody gives a rat's rectum what type of desktop environment you use.
    >> YOU use whatever suits your needs, and I will use whatever suits MY needs.
    >>

    > Of course. And I will say what I have to say on this group, and you'll
    > live with it. If you try to harass me for saying it, I'll make you wear a gag
    > when you are in my newsreader, as I have done with a number of the
    > punks here who think they own this public forum.

    Go ahead and add me to your list; it's just as well, I suppose - if nothing
    else, the statement I made about a month ago is just as true today:
    You can't reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned into.

    Tom, you may very well be the smartest guy in your circle of friends,
    but around here, you seem to be just shy of a beer fart skid mark in
    tighty whities. Keep it up though; you might get to **** stain status
    one of these days.

    ** Note: when you decide to play dirty by telling someone to " go f*ck
    yourself," this is what happens.

    -RW

  8. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 05:04:42 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    > Tom, you may very well be the smartest guy in your circle of friends,
    > but around here, you seem to be just shy of a beer fart skid mark in
    > tighty whities. Keep it up though; you might get to **** stain status
    > one of these days.

    Damn, I'm jealous... Well done!

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  9. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:54:46 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > I'll hope for whatever I want to hope for.
    > And I'll work towards achieving it.

    All right! It's great to see you have a goal in life.

    Here's a recent photo of Tom out hunting for Bigfoot. Bagging a trophy
    Bigfoot is Tom (Alan Connor)'s biggest hope and dream in the world. I
    guess he doesn't know that deer is there, but he will soon... Even the
    woodland animals don't give him any respect.

    http://brandybuck.890m.com/pics/deer.jpg

    Pitiful, isn't he?

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:
    http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/fga.shtml

  10. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    > On 2008-01-26, Robby Workman wrote:

    Just ask yourself this question, Robby: Is there anyone who might be
    involved in my efforts to harm someone on this group who wouldn't
    sell me out for $10K in used twenties?

    I could do that 50 times and not even notice it, and I am retired.
    I also have access to a very fast private plane...

    Tom

  11. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > Go ahead and add me to your list...

    A request which would seem to confirm the observation made by Keith
    earlier that this may have indeed become a new 'BOZO' list.

    >> Keith Keller wrote:
    >>
    >>> So, it is the BOZO list, then?

    Perhaps all those wishing to join should append their names below the
    last of the lists published by 'Tom'. Viz:

    > Realto Margarino
    > Dan C
    > Mr. Paul
    > alex
    > Res
    > mr.b
    > james
    > Keith Keller
    > Old Man
    > Dong M
    > Tom N Sucks <<<----- is this aols or a first grade schoolyard?
    > Franklin
    > swede
    > Helmut Hullen*
    > the_bmac
    > grant
    > Phil McCrackin
    > Alex
    > Chris Sorenson

    Those applying to be added to the list:
    Robby Workman
    Myself, Two Ravens

    However as Dan C, a man of trenchant opinions, forthrightly expressed,
    writes, I doubt that being on the list will guarantee that Tom
    N 'killfiles' those on it. We can however, but hold on to the hope that
    he will.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  12. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    Tom N wrote:
    >If you think you can stop me, you are as stupid as the trolls. Whom,
    >as near as I can tell, are quite literally insane.

    Or do you mean "who"? I mean, it's the subject of the sentence, so it
    makes sense that the pronoun "who" would be there, not the object form
    "whom".

    Right?

    -Beej

  13. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    On 2008-01-26, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>If you think you can stop me, you are as stupid as the trolls. Whom,
    >>as near as I can tell, are quite literally insane.

    > Or do you mean "who"? I mean, it's the subject of the sentence, so it
    > makes sense that the pronoun "who" would be there, not the object form
    > "whom".
    >
    > Right?

    :-)

    I don't know. Or care.

    Ever listen to cartalk on NPR? I'm like Tommy. I don't waste my time solving puzzles
    that don't exist except to waste your time.

    Ain't that a wise to live choice?

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  14. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    Tom N wrote:

    > PV has decreed that KDE is to be the user interface used by Slackers,
    > and therefore it's written in stone and not to be questioned by mere
    > mortals.

    If that were to be the case, surely there would be no need for the
    command xwmconfig ? Which, if I recall correctly, gives one a choice of
    somewhere between 6 or 7 Window managers, there is also the choice one
    can exercise, not to use one at all.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  15. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong WirelessRouter on Slackware 12))

    Supplicant Address:

    Mark South
    Usenetland

    Supplicee Address:

    The AOLS Management Committee
    Usenet Central

    Dear Sirs,

    I hear that there is a new Cool Table[TM] on AOLS, namely, the 733t tr077
    715t.

    I respectfully ask you to consider my application in the light of my long
    experience and eminent qualifications for the role. My writings speak
    for themselves, and as we always say where I come from, GIYF.

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:15:39 +0000, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Those applying to be added to the list: Robby Workman
    > Myself, Two Ravens

    Et moi-même: Mark South.

    With sincerest regards for your continued well-being.
    I remain yours faithfully,
    Mark South (Usenet Denizen and Keeper of the WPA Keys)
    --
    Signature is thinking of getting a Mac....

  16. Re: Trolls and Trollers (was: Re: Trolls (was: Wrong Wireless Router on Slackware 12))

    yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnn

    is this ****tart still here?

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  17. The KDE Puzzle (was: Re: Trolls and Trollers...)

    On 2008-01-26, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-26, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    >> Tom N wrote:
    >>>If you think you can stop me, you are as stupid as the trolls. Whom,
    >>>as near as I can tell, are quite literally insane.

    >> Or do you mean "who"? I mean, it's the subject of the sentence, so it
    >> makes sense that the pronoun "who" would be there, not the object form
    >> "whom".
    >>
    >> Right?

    >:-)
    >
    > I don't know. Or care.
    >
    > Ever listen to cartalk on NPR? I'm like Tommy. I don't waste my time solving puzzles
    > that don't exist except to waste your time.

    You know, Beej, it just occurred to me that the puzzle I am trying to solve at the
    moment, is KDE, the Korporate Desktop Environment: www.kde.org

    The more I examine it, the more it becomes obvious that it is nothing but a collection
    of programs, apps and utilities, that are knitted together by a menu tree.

    All I have to do to create the shell equivalent, a shell desktop, is to create a bash menu
    tree that has all of the equivalent programs. Because I run X, I could use many of the K
    programs, but since the console apps are generally superior, I'd prefer to use them.

    No need to have the main menu, or submenus, cluttering up my working screen when I
    can have it come up in window 6 at startx and get there with just Ctrl-t 6. Any app or utility
    or script I choose to run from the menu will open in its own window (if any), and I'll automatically
    "be there" with it. The menu stays accessible like it is.

    So what I'm saying, is that KDE is an illusion. It's a bunch of hype and technocratic
    bull**** wrapped in a pretty package. It's just collection of programs knitted together
    by a menu tree. Big woo. Some eye-candy to impress the peasants who think that clicking
    on a cutesy icon is superior to entering a number.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  18. Re: The KDE Puzzle (was: Re: Trolls and Trollers...)

    You know, I think that idiot Dan C actually thinks that we don't
    know that he's Two Ravens. Or any of the other names he hides behind
    in order to bless us with garbage that almost no one even reads.

    Tom

  19. Re: The KDE Puzzle (was: Re: Trolls and Trollers...)

    Tom N wrote:
    >All I have to do to create the shell equivalent, a shell desktop, is to
    >create a bash menu tree that has all of the equivalent programs.

    Sounds good! Just let us know when you get the site up.

    Lots of Linux users do their own thing and heavily optimize their
    systems in the manner that best suits their work. You can be part of
    this proud tradition.

    -Beej

  20. Re: The KDE Puzzle (was: Re: Trolls and Trollers...)

    On 2008-01-26, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>All I have to do to create the shell equivalent, a shell desktop, is to
    >>create a bash menu tree that has all of the equivalent programs.

    > Sounds good! Just let us know when you get the site up.

    I already have the menu, but I do so many things with aliases that
    it's not as complete as the one used to run KDE.

    I'll make it that complete and put it up on my FTP server. It's up
    most of the time, though I usually just use it for file sharing with
    individuals. (Better than mail attachments).

    Although the way I do it now is better. But there's no problem having
    the same commands on the menu, too.

    How do I remember all those aliases? Mostly because they have clues to their
    use expressed in the choice of letters. For example, if I can't remember an
    alias I enter the alias "al" and I get a list of them catted to the screen.

    alias al='grep ^alias /etc/profile'

    Here's a sample of the output:

    alias fm='fetchmail && mutt -y'
    alias ls='ls -shF'
    alias ff='/usr/bin/firefox &'
    alias cw='/sbin/dhcpcd -d' #clearwire up
    alias cwd='/sbin/dhcpcd -k' #clearwire down
    alias v='vi' #nvi
    alias al='grep ^alias /etc/profile'
    alias l='less'
    alias sl= `slrn -C- -f /home/hokomo/.jnewsrc-aioe'
    alias sp=`slrnpull -d /var/spool/slrnpull -h aioe.org'
    alias j='jobs'
    alias a='apropos'
    alias ftp='ftpserver.sh &' #ftp server no uploads
    alias ftpu='ftpserver-upload.sh &' #ftp server with uploads
    alias cl='watch -t -n 1 date' # 'clock' with 'secondhand'
    alias li='links -html-numbered-links 1 -enable-javascript 1 -html-tables 1 -html-frames 1 -html-image-names 1'

    > Lots of Linux users do their own thing and heavily optimize their
    > systems in the manner that best suits their work. You can be part of
    > this proud tradition.

    Thanks for that, Beej. I think I can take it one step further and create a
    minimalist replacement for KDE. Am trying.

    What I really need is to be good enough with awk to be able
    to write a script that will allow a user to easily edit the
    menu script and alias file, entering their own choices of
    applications. No reason that I can't bundle screen and ratpoison
    along with the menu and other scripts, in the same package...

    Total would only be about 1M, unpacked, and they could both
    be pre-configured for a default layout, including the xinitrc.

    Got an awk book coming in by UPS any day now.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com