Im having trouble downloading slackware - Slackware

This is a discussion on Im having trouble downloading slackware - Slackware ; When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went to there ftp site. I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares ...

  1. Im having trouble downloading slackware

    When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    to there ftp site.

    I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.

  2. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    > When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    > to there ftp site.

    please don't do that, use a mirror instead. the bandwidth on slackware.com
    is limited.

    > I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    > ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.

    find a mirror that has iso images instead. or better yet, download one via
    torrent.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On 2008-01-20, Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    > When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    > to there ftp site.
    >
    > I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    > ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.

    Assuming that you want to get the isos to burn on cd/dvds,
    and you have a bittorrent client, go to this page and get the
    torrents for the first three ISOs.

    http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php

    Bittorrent is the best way.

    There are freeware and shareware bittorrent clients for windows
    and mac, if you don't have one already.

    Otherwise you'll have to search the http/ftp mirrors for one that has the isos.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  4. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    wrote:
    >I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    >ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.

    As others have said, you certainly don't--it's the ISOs you want. But
    let me plug the store:

    http://store.slackware.com/

    You can always get them shipped to you.

    -Beej

  5. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Tom N wrote:

    > Assuming that you want to get the isos to burn on cd/dvds,
    > and you have a bittorrent client, go to this page and get the
    > torrents for the first three ISOs.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php
    >
    > Bittorrent is the best way.

    wrong netkook, many ISP's (the list grows daily) run users traffic
    through devices desgined to limit p2p, therefor ftp would be way faster
    for some.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  6. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    > When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    > to there ftp site.
    >
    > I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    > ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.

    you can use wget to download the directory and subdirs you want.

    If you do it this way, you don't get an iso, so you don't have a
    bootable cd/dvd by default - you'll have to create one if you want.

    But, if you've downloaded it recently and you just want changes (say
    -current) you don't have to download 5GB when there's 100MB worth of
    changes. I think rsync would work too, but I created a script for me to
    download -current once a month using wget, so I've got a full year of
    slack without pounding the line too hard.

    (If you really want the script I can post it. It's probably a horrible
    mess, but... it works for me.)

    Ray

  7. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware --postscript

    On 2008-01-20, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2008-01-20, Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    >> When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    >> to there ftp site.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    >> ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.
    >>

    > Assuming that you want to get the isos to burn on cd/dvds,
    > and you have a bittorrent client, go to this page and get the
    > torrents for the first three ISOs.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php
    >
    > Bittorrent is the best way.

    I may have to take this back. Just out of curiousity, I downloaded the
    torrent for the third iso and tried to retrieve the file,

    The site refused to download it because my bittorrent client
    lacked some feature called "key" and told me I had to upgrade
    my client or use another one.

    **** them and the horse they rode in on. I get sick of that kind
    of arrogance on the internet: There you are, using RFC-compliant
    software that works everywhere else on the internet, and some site
    decides that you have to use some other software because they
    are so ****ing special that they don't have to behave like everyone
    else.

    It's a good thing there aren't many such sites or the internet
    wouldn't even exist.

    I've never had a problem like this with any other torrent I've used.

    I'd guess that "key feature" has something to do with GPG/SSL and
    it looks like they are trying to discourage people from using
    bittorrent, despite the big promo.

    I'd suggest, now, buying the first three CDs from a different site.
    They aren't expensive. Or find a mirror that has them. There are a few.

    Or ask someone here to make the isos available on their home FTP servers.
    A lot of us run them. I'd be happy to, but I built Slack from scratch.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  8. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware --postscript

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:56:42 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Bittorrent is the best way.

    Then, Tom N changed his story:

    > I may have to take this back. Just out of curiousity, I downloaded the
    > torrent for the third iso and tried to retrieve the file,

    Make up yer mind, ya ignorant fool.

    > The site refused to download it because my bittorrent client
    > lacked some feature called "key" and told me I had to upgrade
    > my client or use another one.

    LOL. Wanker.

    > Or ask someone here to make the isos available on their home FTP servers.
    > A lot of us run them. I'd be happy to, but I built Slack from scratch.

    HAR!!! LOL! Yeah, you built Slackware from scratch. Right. Gotcha,
    Junior. Just a day or two ago, you admitted right in this newsgroup that
    you couldn't even successfully compile 'nvi', and yet you build an entire
    Slackware distro "from scratch". Right.

    You just keep making a bigger fool of yourself with every post you make.

    Your name is "Alan Connor", dip****.

    --
    "Tom N" - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  9. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:09:21 GMT, news wrote:

    >Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    >> When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    >> to there ftp site.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    >> ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.
    >>

    >you can use wget to download the directory and subdirs you want.

    Use a mirror though.

    >If you do it this way, you don't get an iso, so you don't have a
    >bootable cd/dvd by default - you'll have to create one if you want.
    >
    >But, if you've downloaded it recently and you just want changes (say
    >-current) you don't have to download 5GB when there's 100MB worth of
    >changes. I think rsync would work too, but I created a script for me to
    >download -current once a month using wget, so I've got a full year of
    >slack without pounding the line too hard.

    Use rsync rather than wget. Why re-transfer the whole thing? Or, why
    replace a single rsync command with a wget script?

    >(If you really want the script I can post it. It's probably a horrible
    >mess, but... it works for me.)

    Sounds awful...

    For slack-current (minus kdei) I use:

    rsync -avPH --bwlimit=32 --delete --delete-excluded --progress \
    --exclude slackware/kdei --exclude source/kdei \
    slackware.mirrors.tds.net::slackware/slackware-current/ \
    /home/mirror/slackware-current

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  10. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On Jan 20, 7:59 am, Nolan....@gmail.com wrote:
    > When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    > to there ftp site.
    >
    > I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    > ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.

    Hi,

    You can wget the iso(s) from here; 'ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/linux/
    ISO-images/slackware/12.0'. You only need the cd1 & cd2 for install.
    If you want KDEi or /extra then you will need cd3. Be sure to do a
    md5sum check on your downloaded iso(s). I also like to check my burnt
    images to the original iso.

    HTH,

    Onebuck

  11. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    Grant wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:09:21 GMT, news wrote:
    >
    >> Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    >>> to there ftp site.
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    >>> ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.
    >>>

    >> you can use wget to download the directory and subdirs you want.

    > Use a mirror though.
    >> If you do it this way, you don't get an iso, so you don't have a
    >> bootable cd/dvd by default - you'll have to create one if you want.
    >>
    >> But, if you've downloaded it recently and you just want changes (say
    >> -current) you don't have to download 5GB when there's 100MB worth of
    >> changes. I think rsync would work too, but I created a script for me to
    >> download -current once a month using wget, so I've got a full year of
    >> slack without pounding the line too hard.

    > Use rsync rather than wget. Why re-transfer the whole thing? Or, why
    > replace a single rsync command with a wget script?
    >> (If you really want the script I can post it. It's probably a horrible
    >> mess, but... it works for me.)

    > Sounds awful...
    >
    > For slack-current (minus kdei) I use:
    >
    > rsync -avPH --bwlimit=32 --delete --delete-excluded --progress \
    > --exclude slackware/kdei --exclude source/kdei \
    > slackware.mirrors.tds.net::slackware/slackware-current/ \
    > /home/mirror/slackware-current
    >
    > Grant.

    lol.
    the wget part is one line:
    wget -x -m -nH --cut-dirs=3 --exclude-directories=${direxcl} \
    --limit-rate=10K ftp://ftp.slackware.com/${slackroot}

    wget checks file dates, so I don't think it actually transfers much more
    than an rsync would.

    the other lines in the script allow me to download the source or not,
    reschedule it to run again, cleanup, etc...

    I end up with a tree like:
    slackware-current
    slackware-old/{month}

    so I have 13 "copies" of slackware at any one time. I copy them as hard
    links, so it's way less space than 13 real copies would be. I don't
    have an accurate number, because my box that did this went south (bad
    RAM and a popped cap on the mobo) in December, so when I copied stuff
    off, the only way I could get it to stay up was to copy the stuff via
    samba, windows, robocopy and many many powercycles, so all my hard links
    are gone. But, the January download was 138M.

    Is slackware.mirrors.tds.net kept up to date? It seems whenever I pick
    a mirror, it's always the one that's NOT up to date, and I end up going
    back to slackware.com. (Remember, I'm downloading -current.)

    Ray

  12. Advanced Rsync and Wget (was: Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware)

    Please forgive me here. I just want to mark this (these) posts
    for future reference. Some pretty fancy work with rsync and wget.

    The man pages don't have examples of usage this complex.

    (I wish my man pages were plain text so I could just paste things
    like this into them.)

    Thanks to Grant and news.

    Tom

    --
    calhobbit
    at gee mail dot com

  13. Re: Advanced Rsync and Wget (was: Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware)

    Tom N (tom@somewhere.invalid) writes:
    > Please forgive me here. I just want to mark this (these) posts
    > for future reference. Some pretty fancy work with rsync and wget.
    >
    > The man pages don't have examples of usage this complex.
    >
    > (I wish my man pages were plain text so I could just paste things
    > like this into them.)

    Come on. You don't need to change the subject header merely so you
    can find it better in the future.

    You can
    a) save it to a local file
    b) email it to yourself, and keep it in a folder marked "linux"
    so you can put your hands on it easily. There, you might like
    to change the subject header when forwarding it, so it is easily
    found by yourself. An email folder is a wonderful way of keeping
    track of such information.
    c) Extract the information, and keep it in a file with other things
    you value as useful tidbits
    d) Extract the information and keep it in a man page for your own personal
    use. All you need to do is learn how to make your own man pages. It's
    not hard.
    e) learn how to make man pages, so you can modify existing man pages. The
    problem with that is then you will have to do the work every time you
    upgrade, or make up some patching mechanism to add your notes to the
    man pages after every update.
    f) keep it in your log. The one you should be keeping to keep track of
    what you installed (right from the beginning and the software added
    later), and useful things you've learned and things you've tried and
    even software or hardware you tried to get going with no success, so
    the previous work is there for the next time you decide to tackle it.
    So every time you get a command to work the way you want it, you record
    it so you have it handy the next time. You can even eventually extract
    the specific bits when the log gets large, to make it easier.
    g) have these notes tattooed to your arm, so they are available whenever.

    ANd of course, backups are always important, so you might keep it on some
    memory card or USB device. You can keep your troll list there too.

    Michael

  14. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 05:05:12 GMT, news wrote:

    .... big snip

    >Is slackware.mirrors.tds.net kept up to date?

    Yeah, maybe a day or two behind the source, I used to keep two local trees
    from a pair of mirrors, but gave that up last year.

    > (Remember, I'm downloading -current.)

    I keep local copy of slack-11, slack-12 and -current at the moment, no
    hassles for last 2 or 3 years with tds.net.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  15. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Grant wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:09:21 GMT, news wrote:
    >> Nolan.Php@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> When i go to the slackware website, and click getslack, and then went
    >>> to there ftp site.
    >>> I was wondering if you REALY HAVE TO download each file, in all of the
    >>> ftp site, or atleast you version of slackwares folder.
    >>>

    >> you can use wget to download the directory and subdirs you want.

    > Use a mirror though.

    I wrote a bash script 'mirtool' which is designed as an aid to
    those who use ftp to download large collections of files, such
    as the slackware file tree. This may be particularly useful to
    those who have difficulty downloading large file collections due
    to low bandwidth or error-prone connections. It may also be
    useful to people maintaining an ftp site or mirror.

    Mirtool processes the '.listing' files, comparing them against
    the actual contents of the downloaded filesystem, reporting any
    anomolies found.

    All the gory details are online at
    http://prv8.net/mirtool

    HTH

    PS: I agree with Grant, that rsync is a superior tool
    for downloading large filesystems, when it is available.
    And yes, use a mirror whenever possible.
    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  16. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On 2008-01-23, William Hunt wrote:

    > as the slackware file tree. This may be particularly useful to
    > those who have difficulty downloading large file collections due
    > to low bandwidth or error-prone connections.

    This is better than wget, how?

    nb

  17. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:17:25 +0100 (CET), notbob wrote:

    >On 2008-01-23, William Hunt wrote:
    >
    >> as the slackware file tree. This may be particularly useful to
    >> those who have difficulty downloading large file collections due
    >> to low bandwidth or error-prone connections.

    >This is better than wget, how?

    Did you over-snip?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  18. Re: Im having trouble downloading slackware

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-01-23, William Hunt wrote:
    >
    >> as the slackware file tree. This may be particularly useful to
    >> those who have difficulty downloading large file collections due
    >> to low bandwidth or error-prone connections.

    > This is better than wget, how?
    >
    > nb

    ummmmm, perhaps wget has improved since i last used it,
    or perhaps i never learned to use wget correctly. But back in
    the days when i was limited to an unreliable dialup, i found it
    useful to validate large filesystems after ftp downloading.
    Note that mirtool is NOT an ftp client, just a validation
    utility. I have received a few 'thank you's and favourable
    comments for it, so I'm assuming a few others have also found
    it useful, too.

    In my current environment, i find rsync + md5sum work fine,
    and mirtool is obsolete for my needs. Perhaps it is vanity
    to assume that mirtool might still be useful to others with
    more limited environments. Certainly it doesn't get hit as
    much as it use to. But I keep it available, just in case.
    Perhaps the OP is such a case.

    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

+ Reply to Thread