reading the temperatures ? - Slackware

This is a discussion on reading the temperatures ? - Slackware ; is there anything to read the temperatures of cpu and other ? i've tried installing gkrellm but it indicates the lack of sensors and i dont know how to tune them. i've tried installing lm-sensors but nothing changes, Anything simpler ...

  1. reading the temperatures ?

    is there anything to read the temperatures
    of cpu and other ?
    i've tried installing gkrellm but it indicates
    the lack of sensors and i dont know how to tune them.
    i've tried installing lm-sensors but nothing changes,
    Anything simpler ?

  2. Re: reading the temperatures ?

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:44:16 +0100, Federico Savini wrote:

    > is there anything to read the temperatures of cpu and other ?
    > i've tried installing gkrellm but it indicates the lack of sensors and i
    > dont know how to tune them. i've tried installing lm-sensors but nothing
    > changes,
    > Anything simpler ?

    Hi,
    After installing lm-sensors did you run sensors-detect?
    For my PC sensors-detect produces a script which I put into
    rc.local so that the sensors modules are loaded.
    gkrellm shows temperatures for cpu ambient and core, also nvidia GPU,
    plus case fan speed and Intel cpu fan speed.
    sensors-detect output:
    #----cut here----
    # I2C adapter drivers
    # modprobe unknown adapter NVIDIA i2c adapter 0 at 1:00.0
    # modprobe unknown adapter NVIDIA i2c adapter 1 at 1:00.0
    # modprobe unknown adapter NVIDIA i2c adapter 2 at 1:00.0
    modprobe i2c-i801
    # Chip drivers
    modprobe eeprom
    modprobe it87
    # Warning: the required module coretemp is not currently installed
    # on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check
    # http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices. If driver is built
    # into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.
    ###modprobe coretemp
    # sleep 2 # optional
    /usr/bin/sensors -s # recommended
    #----cut here----

    Good luck...

  3. Re: reading the temperatures ?

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:44:16 +0100, Federico Savini wrote:

    > is there anything to read the temperatures of cpu and other ?
    > i've tried installing gkrellm but it indicates the lack of sensors and i
    > dont know how to tune them. i've tried installing lm-sensors but nothing
    > changes,
    > Anything simpler ?

    I don't think so. Due to the nature of the beast, there is a certain
    amount of configuration that must be done. Run sensors-detect and follow
    the instructions - it's not difficult, but must be done properly.

  4. Re: reading the temperatures ?

    ray wrote in news:5vh87mF1mh0c0U3@mid.individual.net:

    > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:44:16 +0100, Federico Savini wrote:
    >
    >> is there anything to read the temperatures of cpu and other ?
    >> i've tried installing gkrellm but it indicates the lack of sensors and i
    >> dont know how to tune them. i've tried installing lm-sensors but nothing
    >> changes,
    >> Anything simpler ?

    > I don't think so. Due to the nature of the beast, there is a certain
    > amount of configuration that must be done. Run sensors-detect and follow
    > the instructions - it's not difficult, but must be done properly.

    Unless you're running an unsupported motherboard/sensors combination.

    Like me. I'm running a dual-boot Windows XP/Linux configuration on a Dell
    SC420. The BIOS can read temps, adjust fan speed, etc. Research has
    indicated (on 3 different occasions) that Dell has done something special
    with the sensors on this motherboard (a slightly customized sensor-
    controlling chip) and that nothing in the Linux world understands (possibly
    yet).

    So, a good google of the ' lm-sensors' might also be in order.

    --
    The email address, above, is most certainly munged. Perhaps you
    might reply to the newsgroup, instead? Thanks!

  5. Re: reading the temperatures ?

    Federico Savini wrote:
    > is there anything to read the temperatures
    > of cpu and other ?
    > i've tried installing gkrellm but it indicates
    > the lack of sensors and i dont know how to tune them.
    > i've tried installing lm-sensors but nothing changes,

    > Anything simpler ?

    Yes!
    ;^) Lick your finger and touch the component, if steam escapes it is HOT.
    Learned from mother when ironing.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  6. Re: reading the temperatures ?

    Federico Savini wrote:
    > is there anything to read the temperatures
    > of cpu and other ?

    If your computer is supported by the kernel; you can read the temperature by

    cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature

    You can optionally install acpitool which is a command line program to
    display these kind of information ( (
    http://freeunix.dyndns.org:8088/site2/acpitool.shtml ). But this program
    is just an easy way to read files provided by the kernel; it does not
    really offers something new.

    Olive

  7. Re: reading the temperatures ?

    > is there anything to read the temperatures
    > of cpu and other ?
    > i've tried installing gkrellm but it indicates
    > the lack of sensors and i dont know how to tune them.
    > i've tried installing lm-sensors but nothing changes,
    > Anything simpler ?

    On a thinkpad, once the thinkpad_acpi module os loaded (it's loaded by
    default):
    cat /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/temp1_input

    lm_sensors 3.0 works out of the box too (without any configuring):
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0: +48.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

    coretemp-isa-0001
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 1: +47.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

    thinkpad-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    fan1: 2956 RPM
    temp1: +47.0°C
    temp2: +46.0°C
    temp4: +44.0°C
    temp5: +33.0°C
    temp7: +32.0°C
    temp9: +42.0°C
    temp10: +39.0°C

    But this depends on having the right module for your motherboard loaded. I'd
    siggest installing lm_sensors 3.0 and reading it's documentation.

    --
    damjan

+ Reply to Thread