SB Live 5.1 and Slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on SB Live 5.1 and Slackware 12 - Slackware ; I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 board which under alsamixer is identified as follows: Card: SB Live 5.1 Dell OEM [SB0220] Chip: SigmaTel STAC9708,11 The problem I am having is that, although I can play sounds all right, I seem ...

  1. SB Live 5.1 and Slackware 12

    I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 board which under alsamixer is
    identified as follows:

    Card: SB Live 5.1 Dell OEM [SB0220]
    Chip: SigmaTel STAC9708,11

    The problem I am having is that, although I can play sounds all right, I
    seem to be unable to get it to record under Slackware 12 (with ALSA
    1.0.14.) Everything (playing and recording) would work just fine under
    Slackware 10.2.

    I can't post the contents of my /etc/asound.conf file due to its
    size (almost 3600 lines) but I have made sure that, in the Capture view
    in alsamixer, the MIC and Capture channels are set to capture (the
    Capture channel set at 80%,) the Bass and Treble channels are set to 50%,
    the AC97 channel is set to 100%, and all the remaining channels are set
    to 0%.

    Does this make sense? Or am I missing something?

  2. Re: SB Live 5.1 and Slackware 12

    Harold Weissman wrote:

    > I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 board which under alsamixer is
    > identified as follows:
    >
    > Card: SB Live 5.1 Dell OEM [SB0220]
    > Chip: SigmaTel STAC9708,11
    >
    > The problem I am having is that, although I can play sounds all right, I
    > seem to be unable to get it to record under Slackware 12 (with ALSA
    > 1.0.14.) Everything (playing and recording) would work just fine under
    > Slackware 10.2.
    >
    > I can't post the contents of my /etc/asound.conf file due to its
    > size (almost 3600 lines) but I have made sure that, in the Capture view
    > in alsamixer, the MIC and Capture channels are set to capture (the
    > Capture channel set at 80%,) the Bass and Treble channels are set to 50%,
    > the AC97 channel is set to 100%, and all the remaining channels are set
    > to 0%.
    >
    > Does this make sense? Or am I missing something?

    I just tried this on my SBLive platinum with Slack 11. I ran Audacity and
    had the microphone plugged in and turned up in Audacity so I could hear
    sound coming though it. Then I ran Kmix and alsamixer, in the alsamixer I
    turned all the capture controls to 0 except BASS and TREBLE but still the
    microphone worked. I looked in Kmix and I saw that there was a microphone
    line under input that was still up. As you fiddle in alsamixer you can see
    the controls in Kmix go up and down. Anyway the mic line that was still
    working was not in the capture settings in alsamixer, it was in the
    playback settings. In my system it is the 24th playback control across
    beside it are CD and Mic Boos

    See if you can find another Mic in the playback section and try that; my
    card has 62 sound channel settings. I Guess that teaches us for having a
    sound card that requires a PHD in fiddling just to find the right sound
    channel.

    Richard James

+ Reply to Thread