How do linux users tolerate this crap !? - Slackware

This is a discussion on How do linux users tolerate this crap !? - Slackware ; Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of: http:// ... http:// , where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages' and appended then to File2. Especially ...

  1. How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of:
    http://
    http://,
    where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    and appended then to File2.

    Especially since It's not easy to find the appending boundries
    automatically, ie. without human reading, a method of kowing
    if the 4 URL's contents are in File2 is to just select some part
    of the URLs which is likely to be contained in File2 *IFF*
    File2 contains the page.

    Eg. if 1 URL was '..wiki-wolves-howling' then it's likely
    that "howling' is to be found in File2 - else NOT.

    With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe'
    "howling" in text-frame File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame
    File2 - without looking at the keyboard.

    With linux-crap I must:
    1. find which VT currently shows File1 or else open it;
    2. switch to which VT currently shows File2 or else open it;
    3. look at the key-brd & clanck-clanck scroll down;
    4. wait for half a second for gpm to show that it's ready
    to start 'cuttting';
    5. try again when gpm shows funny symptoms;
    6. switch to which VT currently shows File2;
    7. look for the 'search' on the key-brd;
    8. paste the search-string cut from stage 4;
    9. relise that the required string was not cut;

    Since I'm not one for eye-candy, perhaps I shouldn't
    mention that my linux/X/VT/mc/mcedit shows white
    chars on blue background, which glare/reflect/irritate
    whereas an ETH-oberon mininal editor [& OS] on a 1.4MB
    writes black on light grey background. And is a pleasure to
    use. That why my complaints are so wordy !

    == Chris Glur.

  2. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    You are very unclear, but it seems that what you want to do is best
    addressed by very simple scripting using diff, cat, uniq, and so on.
    Linux really shines at automating everything.

  3. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:57:58 -0600, problems wrote:

    > Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    > jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of:
    > http://
    > ..
    > http://,
    > where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    > and appended then to File2.
    >
    > Especially since It's not easy to find the appending boundries
    > automatically, ie. without human reading, a method of kowing
    > if the 4 URL's contents are in File2 is to just select some part
    > of the URLs which is likely to be contained in File2 *IFF*
    > File2 contains the page.
    >
    > Eg. if 1 URL was '..wiki-wolves-howling' then it's likely
    > that "howling' is to be found in File2 - else NOT.
    >
    > With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe'
    > "howling" in text-frame File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame
    > File2 - without looking at the keyboard.
    >
    > With linux-crap I must:
    > 1. find which VT currently shows File1 or else open it;
    > 2. switch to which VT currently shows File2 or else open it;
    > 3. look at the key-brd & clanck-clanck scroll down;
    > 4. wait for half a second for gpm to show that it's ready
    > to start 'cuttting';
    > 5. try again when gpm shows funny symptoms;
    > 6. switch to which VT currently shows File2;
    > 7. look for the 'search' on the key-brd;
    > 8. paste the search-string cut from stage 4;
    > 9. relise that the required string was not cut;
    >
    > Since I'm not one for eye-candy, perhaps I shouldn't
    > mention that my linux/X/VT/mc/mcedit shows white
    > chars on blue background, which glare/reflect/irritate
    > whereas an ETH-oberon mininal editor [& OS] on a 1.4MB
    > writes black on light grey background. And is a pleasure to
    > use. That why my complaints are so wordy !
    >
    > == Chris Glur.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++

    OK; There are many tools to automat your task(s) as Ignoramus mentioned
    It is also possible to change the color and background of your screen.

    I don't know if emacs could be the "editor" of your choise.

    My recomendation for you:
    Go to "http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/"
    or
    "http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Oberon.html"
    and download ETH-oberon.

    Good Luck in finding the required hardware.

    Rudy

  4. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:57:58 -0600, problems wrote:

    > Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    > jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of:
    > http://
    > ..
    > http://,
    > where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    > and appended then to File2.
    >
    > Especially since It's not easy to find the appending boundries
    > automatically, ie. without human reading, a method of kowing
    > if the 4 URL's contents are in File2 is to just select some part
    > of the URLs which is likely to be contained in File2 *IFF*
    > File2 contains the page.
    >
    > Eg. if 1 URL was '..wiki-wolves-howling' then it's likely
    > that "howling' is to be found in File2 - else NOT.
    >
    > With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe'
    > "howling" in text-frame File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame
    > File2 - without looking at the keyboard.

    1) so what the f**k is ETH-oberon?
    2) if you prefer ETH-oberon, why don't you just use it? As far as I know,
    no one is holding a gun to your head.
    3) most folks using Linux run a GUI, so mucking with VTs is pretty much
    irrelevant.

  5. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:57:58 -0600, problems wrote:

    ___________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do |
    / O O\__ NOT |
    / \ feed the |
    / \ \ trolls |
    / _ \ \ ______________|
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ \ __||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ // |
    / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

  6. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    problems@gmail writes:

    >Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    >jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of:
    >http://
    >..
    >http://,
    >where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    >and appended then to File2.

    No idea what you are talking about. "fetched the 4 'pages" with what?

    >Especially since It's not easy to find the appending boundries

    Especially since you have trouble with spelling and capitals,...

    >automatically, ie. without human reading, a method of kowing
    >if the 4 URL's contents are in File2 is to just select some part
    >of the URLs which is likely to be contained in File2 *IFF*
    >File2 contains the page.

    grep "text to find" File2
    >Eg. if 1 URL was '..wiki-wolves-howling' then it's likely
    >that "howling' is to be found in File2 - else NOT.

    >With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe'

    And ETh-Overon system is what?

    >"howling" in text-frame File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame
    >File2 - without looking at the keyboard.

    >With linux-crap I must:
    >1. find which VT currently shows File1 or else open it;
    >2. switch to which VT currently shows File2 or else open it;
    >3. look at the key-brd & clanck-clanck scroll down;
    >4. wait for half a second for gpm to show that it's ready
    > to start 'cuttting';
    >5. try again when gpm shows funny symptoms;
    >6. switch to which VT currently shows File2;
    >7. look for the 'search' on the key-brd;
    >8. paste the search-string cut from stage 4;
    >9. relise that the required string was not cut;

    You are incompetent and you blame linux.

    >Since I'm not one for eye-candy, perhaps I shouldn't

    Apparently you are one for eye candy.

    >mention that my linux/X/VT/mc/mcedit shows white
    >chars on blue background, which glare/reflect/irritate

    Change it! Mine is black on white.

    >whereas an ETH-oberon mininal editor [& OS] on a 1.4MB

    no idea what you are talking about.

    >writes black on light grey background. And is a pleasure to
    >use. That why my complaints are so wordy !

    >== Chris Glur.

  7. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    problems@gmail wrote :

    > where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    > and appended then to File2.

    Cant 'grep -e http:// File1 File2' do that for you? If not you can write
    a bash script that will find URL's present in File1 but not in File2.

    > whereas an ETH-oberon mininal editor [& OS] on a 1.4MB
    > writes black on light grey background.

    You can add an [Colors] section to ~/.mc/ini and make mc look exactly
    the way you like, or if lightgray on black will do start mc this way:
    'mc --nocolor'
    --
    Thomas O.

  8. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    In alt.os.linux.slackware problems@gmail wrote:
    > Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    > jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of:
    > http://
    > ..
    > http://,
    > where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    > and appended then to File2.

    > Especially since It's not easy to find the appending boundries
    > automatically, ie. without human reading, a method of kowing
    > if the 4 URL's contents are in File2 is to just select some part
    > of the URLs which is likely to be contained in File2 *IFF*
    > File2 contains the page.

    > Eg. if 1 URL was '..wiki-wolves-howling' then it's likely
    > that "howling' is to be found in File2 - else NOT.

    > With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe'
    > "howling" in text-frame File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame
    > File2 - without looking at the keyboard.

    [snip]

    > == Chris Glur.

    Chris,

    I had never heard of ETH-oberon, so I searched in Altavista and found
    this Wikipedia site:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_operating_system

    It says:

    >Oberon is an operating system, originally developed as part of the
    >NS32032-based Ceres workstation project; it is written entirely in the
    >Oberon programming language.

    [snip]

    >The user interface is neither a GUI nor quite a command line
    >interface, but is tied closely to naming conventions in Oberon (the
    >language). It does not have a prompt or anything similar, but any text
    >appearing on the screen can be edited and used as command input. This
    >is a radical approach that takes some time to get accustomed to. It
    >has not been very influential among more recent operating systems.

    So, now I understand the confusion. It says above that Oberon uses a
    "radical approach that takes some time to get accustomed to." I take
    it that you have gotten used to it and like it.

    This is interesting. I had never heard of Oberon. Perhaps someday
    I'll give it a try. I also read this at the Wikipedia site:

    >The Oberon OS is available for several other hardware platforms,
    >generally in no cost versions. It is typically extremely compact. Even
    >with an Oberon compiler, assorted utilities including a Web browser,
    >TCP/IP networking, and a GUI, the entire package has been able to fit
    >on a single 3.5" floppy disk. The version which runs on bare PC
    >hardware is called Native Oberon.

    I like the part about "extremely compact".

    I'm curious about something, since I'm a serious command-line user.
    Does Oberon allow one to write and execute scripts? Does it even have
    command syntax?

    -Joe

  9. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    If you want to dig the garden, by a JCB.

    If you want fast personal transport, buy a motorcycle.

    There is no point complaining that a JCB wont do 150mph, or a motorcycle
    cant dig a trench worth a damn.

  10. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:57:58 -0600, problems wrote:

    > Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    > jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of: http://

    He posted the same sort of crap on c.o.l.m.

    Paul

  11. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:17:43 +0000, Mr Paul wrote:

    > He posted the same sort of crap on c.o.l.m.
    >
    > Paul

    Sorry, didn't check headers and follow-ups. Apologies.

    Paul

  12. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:48:55 -0700, ray wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:57:58 -0600, problems wrote:
    >> With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe' "howling" in text-frame
    >> File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame File2 - without looking at the
    >> keyboard.
    >>

    > 1) so what the f**k is ETH-oberon?
    > 2) if you prefer ETH-oberon, why don't you just use it? As far as I
    > know, no one is holding a gun to your head. 3) most folks using Linux
    > run a GUI, so mucking with VTs is pretty much irrelevant.

    Anyone remember Alan Connor? Sounds like he needs a new 'script.

  13. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    problems@gmail wrote:
    > Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    > jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of:
    > http://
    > ..
    > http://,
    > where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    > and appended then to File2.
    >
    > Especially since It's not easy to find the appending boundries
    > automatically, ie. without human reading, a method of kowing
    > if the 4 URL's contents are in File2 is to just select some part
    > of the URLs which is likely to be contained in File2 *IFF*
    > File2 contains the page.
    >
    > Eg. if 1 URL was '..wiki-wolves-howling' then it's likely
    > that "howling' is to be found in File2 - else NOT.
    >
    > With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe'
    > "howling" in text-frame File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame
    > File2 - without looking at the keyboard.
    >
    > With linux-crap I must:
    > 1. find which VT currently shows File1 or else open it;
    > 2. switch to which VT currently shows File2 or else open it;
    > 3. look at the key-brd & clanck-clanck scroll down;
    > 4. wait for half a second for gpm to show that it's ready
    > to start 'cuttting';
    > 5. try again when gpm shows funny symptoms;
    > 6. switch to which VT currently shows File2;
    > 7. look for the 'search' on the key-brd;
    > 8. paste the search-string cut from stage 4;
    > 9. relise that the required string was not cut;
    >
    > Since I'm not one for eye-candy, perhaps I shouldn't
    > mention that my linux/X/VT/mc/mcedit shows white
    > chars on blue background, which glare/reflect/irritate
    > whereas an ETH-oberon mininal editor [& OS] on a 1.4MB
    > writes black on light grey background. And is a pleasure to
    > use. That why my complaints are so wordy !
    >
    > == Chris Glur.

    If you are trying to hammer in a nail with a screw driver just because
    you don't know of a hammer, then you should learn about the available
    tools before attempting (and complaining about) anything.

    --
    artix
    http://www.abstractart.ws _Abstract Art Directory_

  14. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    CptDondo did eloquently scribble:
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:48:55 -0700, ray wrote:

    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:57:58 -0600, problems wrote:
    >>> With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe' "howling" in text-frame
    >>> File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame File2 - without looking at the
    >>> keyboard.
    >>>

    >> 1) so what the f**k is ETH-oberon?
    >> 2) if you prefer ETH-oberon, why don't you just use it? As far as I
    >> know, no one is holding a gun to your head. 3) most folks using Linux
    >> run a GUI, so mucking with VTs is pretty much irrelevant.

    > Anyone remember Alan Connor? Sounds like he needs a new 'script.

    Shhhhhh!
    Don't.... mention... his name!!
    His sooper dooper psychic powers he gained from his visit to the elves in
    dingly dell will alert him and he'll come back here!
    | in |good to you so far... |

  15. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:15:14 +0000, spike1 wrote:

    >> Anyone remember Alan Connor? Sounds like he needs a new 'script.

    > Shhhhhh!
    > Don't.... mention... his name!!
    > His sooper dooper psychic powers he gained from his visit to the elves in
    > dingly dell will alert him and he'll come back here!

    He's already back. He goes by the name "Tom N" now.

  16. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    Joseph H. Rosevear wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.slackware problems@gmail wrote:
    >> Here's a typical simple task, where the linux tools requires
    >> jumping-thru-hoops. I've got File1 with 4 lines of:
    >> http://
    >> ..
    >> http://,
    >> where I want to know if I've already "fetched the 4 'pages'
    >> and appended then to File2.

    >> Especially since It's not easy to find the appending boundries
    >> automatically, ie. without human reading, a method of kowing
    >> if the 4 URL's contents are in File2 is to just select some part
    >> of the URLs which is likely to be contained in File2 *IFF*
    >> File2 contains the page.

    >> Eg. if 1 URL was '..wiki-wolves-howling' then it's likely
    >> that "howling' is to be found in File2 - else NOT.

    >> With my proper ETH-oberon system, I just 'wipe'
    >> "howling" in text-frame File1 & hit 'Search' in text-frame
    >> File2 - without looking at the keyboard.

    > [snip]
    >
    >> == Chris Glur.

    > Chris,
    >
    > I had never heard of ETH-oberon, so I searched in Altavista and found
    > this Wikipedia site:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_operating_system
    >
    > It says:
    >
    >> Oberon is an operating system, originally developed as part of the
    >> NS32032-based Ceres workstation project; it is written entirely in the
    >> Oberon programming language.

    > [snip]
    >
    >> The user interface is neither a GUI nor quite a command line
    >> interface, but is tied closely to naming conventions in Oberon (the
    >> language). It does not have a prompt or anything similar, but any text
    >> appearing on the screen can be edited and used as command input. This
    >> is a radical approach that takes some time to get accustomed to. It
    >> has not been very influential among more recent operating systems.

    > So, now I understand the confusion. It says above that Oberon uses a
    > "radical approach that takes some time to get accustomed to." I take
    > it that you have gotten used to it and like it.
    >
    > This is interesting. I had never heard of Oberon. Perhaps someday
    > I'll give it a try. I also read this at the Wikipedia site:
    >
    >> The Oberon OS is available for several other hardware platforms,
    >> generally in no cost versions. It is typically extremely compact. Even
    >> with an Oberon compiler, assorted utilities including a Web browser,
    >> TCP/IP networking, and a GUI, the entire package has been able to fit
    >> on a single 3.5" floppy disk. The version which runs on bare PC
    >> hardware is called Native Oberon.

    > I like the part about "extremely compact".
    >
    > I'm curious about something, since I'm a serious command-line user.
    > Does Oberon allow one to write and execute scripts? Does it even have
    > command syntax?
    >
    > -Joe

    Here's the project site:
    http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/

    Interesting but not that useful for what i do.

  17. Re: How do linux users tolerate this crap !?

    ray wrote:
    --snip----

    > 1) so what the f**k is ETH-oberon?

    ----snip---