network commands no response. - Slackware

This is a discussion on network commands no response. - Slackware ; dear guruys, this is just to let u know i build a new machine that has gateway internet proxy enabled to go outside world. and i can run internet there using firefox and mozilla etc work fine now when i ...

  1. network commands no response.

    dear guruys,

    this is just to let u know i build a new machine that has gateway
    internet proxy enabled to go outside world.

    and i can run internet there using firefox and mozilla etc work fine

    now when i try to run some test of telnet,host,dig,nslookup,traceroute
    it return me below error, can any one advise what things to be check
    missing or anything to install further to this. be advise and what
    files on slackware linux workaround.

    however the local lan same commands r working, but outside world they
    did not work.

    we allowed from firewall only port 110,25,443,8080,80 to go outside,
    it wil be email server

    root@mail:~# less /etc/named.boot
    /etc/named.boot: No such file or directory
    root@mail:~# host www.slackware.com
    root@mail:~# telnet www.slackware.com 80
    telnet: www.slackware.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
    www.slackware.com: Host name lookup failure
    rgds
    salim

  2. Re: network commands no response.

    "salim.madni" wrote:
    > root@mail:~# less /etc/named.boot
    > /etc/named.boot: No such file or directory

    Are you trying to configure your own DNS server running on this machine?

    > root@mail:~# host www.slackware.com

    You are obviously not able to reach your DNS servers, so which DNS servers
    to you try to reach?

    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    Does your machine have a static IP address or is it assigned with DHCP?
    Normally when DHCP is used DHCP is also responsible for telling which DNS
    servers to use. If you use static IP adress you should know the IP
    adresses of your DNS servers as well as other IP settings like IP address,
    gateway and netmask.

    > root@mail:~# telnet www.slackware.com 80
    > telnet: www.slackware.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
    > www.slackware.com: Host name lookup failure

    As said, your DNS is misconfigured and you are unable to look up any IP
    adresses. You might be able to do:

    telnet 64.57.102.34 80

    The above will work assuming that you have configured your IP adress and
    routing correctly.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: network commands no response.

    Dear Henrik and Gurus,

    Thanks for so prompt response and help appreciated.

    - Yes I am you trying to configure my own DNS server running on this
    machine?
    - it is static ip address, with gateway,subnet mask defined already
    - internet is live on this machinee, from the web/internet i can see
    the address like http://mail.go.com, and on firewall also
    pop,smtp,dns,proxy,8080,https,443 ports r kept open
    - i try to define the resolve.conf, where it shows like
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    search go.com
    nameserver 64.64.10.10
    nameserver 192.192.192.10
    - it looks like my dns is misconfigured or not properly configured,
    however if i run the test outside world like pop,smtp,proxy it work
    fine, but the mail problem with dns configuration within the machine.
    - the ip has taken from one of the isp, and we also request them to
    insert the reverse entry
    - basically it will be a email server like qmail,and we want to make
    as testing full blown server

    your tips help guideline will be highly appreciated.

    thanks and kind regards
    salim

  4. Re: network commands no response.

    "salim.madni" wrote:
    > - Yes I am you trying to configure my own DNS server running on this
    > machine?

    Configuring bind is a non trivial task. Do you really need your own DNS
    server? It would probably be much easier if you could use the DNS servers
    from your ISP.

    If you still want to configure your own DNS server, which client machines
    will it serve? Will only your own machines in your network use this DNS
    server or will you be serving the entire internet?

    Which hostnames will this DNS server serve? Will it only server the names
    of your own hosts in your internal network or will it also serve host
    names from the internet?

    > search go.com
    > nameserver 64.64.10.10
    > nameserver 192.192.192.10

    In your resolv.conf you have two different DNS servers. As your name
    lookups fail totally we can assume that none of them are working. I
    suppose that one of those IP addresses is the address of your slackware
    machine? What is the other IP address, did you also try to configure that
    DNS server yourself?

    I think that a first step to get a working mail server would be to find an
    existing working DNS server and use that. Next, if you really want to
    setup a DNS server of your own you have two choices. Either you read up on
    how to configure bind. Maybe the book
    at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns5/ is a good start. Or, if you want
    to keep things as simple as possible there might be a shortcut:

    http://www.phys.uu.nl/~rombouts/pdnsd.html

    Pdnsd is a DNS server which is rather simple to configure. Its main
    purpose is to work as a caching DNS server, but it can also serve
    addresses which it reads from /etc/hosts.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread