How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware? - Slackware

This is a discussion on How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware? - Slackware ; Google is no help here. Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a ..deb? Perhaps there is a live CD or better yet a binary of dpkg / dpkg-deb? The dpkg-deb source refuses to make, ...

  1. How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    Google is no help here.

    Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    ..deb? Perhaps there is a live CD or better yet a binary of dpkg /
    dpkg-deb? The dpkg-deb source refuses to make, crapping on a non
    existing executable that is attempting to create man pages.

    file FILENAME.deb says "Debian binary package (format 2.0)
    --
    buck

  2. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    Hallo, buck,

    Du meintest am 26.12.07:

    > Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    > .deb? Perhaps there is a live CD or better yet a binary of dpkg /
    > dpkg-deb?

    deb2tgz

    #!/bin/sh
    # deb2tgz: Extracts the .tar.gz-part from a .deb-archive
    ar p $1 data.tar.gz > `basename $1 .deb`.tgz

    #

    And there is a longer perl script from Tony Borras.

    http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0-slac....12-noarch.tgz

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  3. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:58:30 GMT, buck wrote:

    > Google is no help here.
    >
    > Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    > .deb? Perhaps there is a live CD or better yet a binary of dpkg /
    > dpkg-deb? The dpkg-deb source refuses to make, crapping on a non
    > existing executable that is attempting to create man pages.
    >
    > file FILENAME.deb says "Debian binary package (format 2.0)

    Alien:
    http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/

    Alternately, 7zip can extract from .debs, .rpms, and several others:
    http://www.7zip.org/

    --
    They look human -- sweat, bad breath, everything.

  4. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    Hallo, buck,

    Du meintest am 26.12.07:

    > Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    > .deb? Perhaps there is a live CD or better yet a binary of dpkg /
    > dpkg-deb? The dpkg-deb source refuses to make, crapping on a non
    > existing executable that is attempting to create man pages.

    > file FILENAME.deb says "Debian binary package (format 2.0)

    I've forgotten: often "mc" does the job.

    Cursor on the *.deb file entry, "enter"
    Cursor on "CONTENTS", "enter" - there it is.
    Cursor on "DEBIAN", "enter" - "postinst" tells what the slackware "/
    install/doinst.sh" should do.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  5. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    On 2007-12-26, buck wrote:
    > Google is no help here.
    >
    > Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    > .deb? Perhaps there is a live CD or better yet a binary of dpkg /
    > dpkg-deb? The dpkg-deb source refuses to make, crapping on a non
    > existing executable that is attempting to create man pages.
    >
    > file FILENAME.deb says "Debian binary package (format 2.0)
    > --
    > buck

    man ar

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  6. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    buck@private.mil wrote :

    > Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    > .deb?

    If you got KDE installed then you can use "Ark":
    $ ark filename.deb
    --
    Thomas O.

  7. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    In article ,
    buck wrote:

    > .deb?

    They are "ar" archives (like /usr/lib/*.a) and the files are in a member
    of that archive called "data.tar.gz" which is itself a standard gzipped
    "tar" archive. So you can do:

    ar -x package.deb data.tar.gz
    tar -zvxf data.tar.gz

    or directly:

    ar -p package.deb data.tar.gz | tar -zvx

    Inspect the package with:

    ar -vt package.deb
    ar -p package.deb data.tar.gz | tar -zvt
    ar -p package.deb control.tar.gz | tar -zvt

    > The dpkg-deb source refuses to make, crapping on a non
    > existing executable that is attempting to create man pages.

    If you mean po4a, I made a package for it that you can get here:
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=11246

    Hope this helps.

    - Martijn

  8. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    Hallo, buck,

    Du meintest am 26.12.07:

    > Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    > .deb?

    http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0-slac...bian2slack.tgz

    It uses some tricks from here, it makes the contents of "/install" too,
    including configuration files which are handled by the function
    "config".

    It uses "/usr/share/debconf/confmoduls" which is part of

    http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0-slac...1.4.25_all.tgz

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  9. Re: How does one extract files from .deb using Slackware?

    On 27 Dec 2007 18:32:00 +0100, helmut@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:

    >Hallo, buck,
    >
    >Du meintest am 26.12.07:
    >
    >> Without installing Debian, is there a way to extract the files from a
    >> .deb?

    > http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0-slac...bian2slack.tgz
    >
    >It uses some tricks from here, it makes the contents of "/install" too,
    >including configuration files which are handled by the function
    >"config".
    >
    >It uses "/usr/share/debconf/confmoduls" which is part of
    >
    > http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0-slac...1.4.25_all.tgz
    >

    >Viele Gruesse
    >Helmut
    >
    >"Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Thanks to everyone who responded!

    I used ar -x FILENAME.deb and tar xzvf to extract because I'm lazy,
    but I'll save this thread for future reference.
    --
    buck

+ Reply to Thread