I am difficulty in understanding how to get DRI and full accelleration
enabled on my old Compaq Evo N400c running Slackware 12.0 and the latest
updated packages (using slackpkg). Kernel 2.6.21.5-smp both stock and
recompiled to reduce "fluff" not installed on this laptop.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M
AGP 2x (rev 64)

BTW, for my purposes all works well and I would never have noticed unless
I tried to run Warzone 2100 for one of the kids. I googled around and the
dri.org and X.org links stated that mach64 DRI was rolled into X and the
kernel in 2007. Other howto's (gentoo, etc.) were vague on how to get
source (damn emerge) or had links to old source. Glxgears runs about 170
fps and glxinfo gives "direct rendereing: no" and shows glx and opengl
loaded. The X.org log shows that the ati driver is loaded but that the
"mach64" kernel module and /dev/dri/card0 are missing (see below).

I checked that kernel and I have all ati and mach64 compiled as modules.
The only module I can find is:

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/mach64_dri.so

So what am I missing? wrong driver? New kernel? DRM/DRI update or
patch? New X.org package? Any pointers in the right direction are
appreciated.

---------------------
Xorg.0.log

(--) ATI(0): ATI 3D Rage Mobility graphics controller detected.
(--) ATI(0): Chip type 4C4D "LM", version 4, foundry TSMC, class 0,
revision 0x01.
(--) ATI(0): AGP bus interface detected; block I/O base is 0x2000.
(--) ATI(0): ATI Mach64 adapter detected.

***snip***

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "mach64"
(II) ATI(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) ATI(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit Failed
(II) ATI(0): Largest offscreen areas (with overlaps):
(II) ATI(0): 1024 x 3327 rectangle at 0,768
(II) ATI(0): 512 x 3328 rectangle at 0,768
(II) ATI(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
Screen to screen bit blits
Solid filled rectangles
8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion