Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player - Slackware

This is a discussion on Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player - Slackware ; Hi all - Running Slackware 9.1 on an old Pentium 400 which runs just fine. I can't mount a Sansa C250 plugged into a USB port. I know the ports work because I have a printer on one and use ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

  1. Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    Hi all -

    Running Slackware 9.1 on an old Pentium 400 which runs just fine. I can't
    mount a Sansa C250 plugged into a USB port. I know the ports work because
    I have a printer on one and use the other for downloading photos from a
    Canon A560 using gphoto2.

    The output of dmesg after attaching Sansa C250 to USB port -

    hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 3
    usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x781/0x7451) is not claimed by any active driver.
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Vendor: SanDisk Model: Sansa c250 Rev: Sans
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    SCSI device sda: 4013056 512-byte hdwr sectors (2055 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: sda1 sda2
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    USB Mass Storage support registered.

    # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    or too many mounted file systems

    Last line of dmesg -
    VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:01.

    # fdisk /dev/sda

    Command (m for help): p

    Disk /dev/sda: 2054 MB, 2054684672 bytes
    64 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1011 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 3968 * 512 = 2031616 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 1002 1985539+ 6 FAT16
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(0, 16, 10) logical=(0, 16, 26)
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(247, 64, 9) logical=(1001, 2, 4)
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 1002 1012 20480 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
    Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(247, 64, 10) logical=(1001, 2, 5)
    Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(249, 204, 19) logical=(1011, 22, 44)
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.

    I wonder if this is worth my time to get working or should I just return
    it and get something that "just works", though I thought this would.

    Thanks for any help -

    Sal

  2. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    Sal Morreale wrote:
    > # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    > or too many mounted file systems


    > Last line of dmesg -
    > VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:01.


    You could try the following:

    $su
    bash-2.05# dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    4+0 records in
    4+0 records out
    bash-2.05# file /tmp/sda1.bin
    /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, system IBM 6.0, FAT (16 bit)

    Your output will probably be a little different.

    If you also have ms-sys avaiable from ms-sys.sourceforge.net you could
    also try to use that to identify the file system:

    bash-2.05# ms-sys /tmp/hda1.bin
    /tmp/hda1.bin has a FAT16 file system.
    /tmp/hda1.bin has an x86 boot sector,
    it is an unknown boot record
    bash-2.05# exit

    > I wonder if this is worth my time to get working or should I just return
    > it and get something that "just works", though I thought this would.


    Unfortunately I have no suggestion to fix the problem if it isn't a FAT
    file system. My examples above will only show if it has a FAT file system.

    regards Henrik
    --
    The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
    hc1(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost


  3. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:09:27 -0600, Sal Morreale wrote:

    > Hi all -
    >
    > Running Slackware 9.1 on an old Pentium 400 which runs just fine. I can't
    > mount a Sansa C250 plugged into a USB port. I know the ports work because
    > I have a printer on one and use the other for downloading photos from a
    > Canon A560 using gphoto2.
    >
    > The output of dmesg after attaching Sansa C250 to USB port -
    >
    > hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 3
    > usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x781/0x7451) is not claimed
    > by any active driver.
    > Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    > usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    > scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    > Vendor: SanDisk Model: Sansa c250 Rev: Sans
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    > SCSI device sda: 4013056 512-byte hdwr sectors (2055 MB)
    > sda: Write Protect is off
    > sda: sda1 sda2
    > WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    > USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    > USB Mass Storage support registered.
    >
    > # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    > or too many mounted file systems
    > Thanks for any help -
    >


    >
    > Sal
    >

    Caveat: I don't have a Sansa 250

    I checked the reviews for this player. Most reviews were mixed with lower
    marks for poor-to-middling sound output. The high marks were for its low
    price.

    Make sure your device is set to MSC mode.

    The only other thing I can think of is that the payer might be better
    supported with a 2.6.x kernel. Version 9.1 used 2.4.x as the default.
    Most of the code development effort is going into 2.6.x now.

    Rockbox?

    This page references the player as supported with their open firmware:
    http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox

    The warnings include this: "Rockbox doesn't function on the v2 models.
    They can be spotted by the line "Supports Audible audio file formats" on
    the packaging, or "v2" on the back of the player itself."

    There are also other words of caution on these pages, suggesting
    that the player may be "bricked" if mistakes are made. The warnings also
    include the warning against formatting the device's first 16MB partition,
    etc.

    --
    Douglas Mayne



  4. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    On 2007-12-23, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Sal Morreale wrote:
    >> # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
    >> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    >> or too many mounted file systems

    >
    >> Last line of dmesg -
    >> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:01.

    >
    > You could try the following:
    >
    > $su
    > bash-2.05# dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    > 4+0 records in
    > 4+0 records out
    > bash-2.05# file /tmp/sda1.bin
    > /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, system IBM 6.0, FAT (16 bit)
    >
    > Your output will probably be a little different.
    >
    > If you also have ms-sys avaiable from ms-sys.sourceforge.net you could
    > also try to use that to identify the file system:
    >
    > bash-2.05# ms-sys /tmp/hda1.bin
    > /tmp/hda1.bin has a FAT16 file system.
    > /tmp/hda1.bin has an x86 boot sector,
    > it is an unknown boot record
    > bash-2.05# exit
    >
    >> I wonder if this is worth my time to get working or should I just return
    >> it and get something that "just works", though I thought this would.

    >
    > Unfortunately I have no suggestion to fix the problem if it isn't a FAT
    > file system. My examples above will only show if it has a FAT file system.
    >
    > regards Henrik


    I tried your suggestions and here is the output.

    # dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    4+0 records in
    4+0 records out

    # file /tmp/sda1.bin

    /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3e, OEM-ID "MSWIN4.1",
    sectors/cluster 64, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8,
    sectors/FAT 243, hidden sectors 1017, sectors 3971079 (volumes > 32 MB)

    Does this mean anything to anyone?

    Sal

  5. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    On 2007-12-23, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Sal Morreale wrote:
    >> # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
    >> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    >> or too many mounted file systems

    >
    >> Last line of dmesg -
    >> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 08:01.

    >
    > You could try the following:
    >
    > $su
    > bash-2.05# dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    > 4+0 records in
    > 4+0 records out
    > bash-2.05# file /tmp/sda1.bin
    > /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, system IBM 6.0, FAT (16 bit)
    >
    > Your output will probably be a little different.
    >
    > If you also have ms-sys avaiable from ms-sys.sourceforge.net you could
    > also try to use that to identify the file system:
    >
    > bash-2.05# ms-sys /tmp/hda1.bin
    > /tmp/hda1.bin has a FAT16 file system.
    > /tmp/hda1.bin has an x86 boot sector,
    > it is an unknown boot record
    > bash-2.05# exit
    >
    >> I wonder if this is worth my time to get working or should I just return
    >> it and get something that "just works", though I thought this would.

    >
    > Unfortunately I have no suggestion to fix the problem if it isn't a FAT
    > file system. My examples above will only show if it has a FAT file system.
    >
    > regards Henrik


    Thank you I will try your suggestions.

    Sal

  6. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    Comments in line.

    On 2007-12-23, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 00:09:27 -0600, Sal Morreale wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all -
    >>
    >> Running Slackware 9.1 on an old Pentium 400 which runs just fine. I can't
    >> mount a Sansa C250 plugged into a USB port. I know the ports work because
    >> I have a printer on one and use the other for downloading photos from a
    >> Canon A560 using gphoto2.
    >>
    >> The output of dmesg after attaching Sansa C250 to USB port -
    >>
    >> hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 3
    >> usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x781/0x7451) is not claimed
    >> by any active driver.
    >> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    >> usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    >> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    >> Vendor: SanDisk Model: Sansa c250 Rev: Sans
    >> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    >> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    >> SCSI device sda: 4013056 512-byte hdwr sectors (2055 MB)
    >> sda: Write Protect is off
    >> sda: sda1 sda2
    >> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    >> USB Mass Storage device found at 3
    >> USB Mass Storage support registered.
    >>
    >> # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
    >> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
    >> or too many mounted file systems
    >> Thanks for any help -
    >>

    >
    >>
    >> Sal
    >>

    > Caveat: I don't have a Sansa 250
    >
    > I checked the reviews for this player. Most reviews were mixed with lower
    > marks for poor-to-middling sound output. The high marks were for its low
    > price.


    Low price is good. I intend to use it in my workshop where CD or cassette
    players get full of sawdust.

    > Make sure your device is set to MSC mode.


    I have that set correctly.

    > The only other thing I can think of is that the payer might be better
    > supported with a 2.6.x kernel. Version 9.1 used 2.4.x as the default.
    > Most of the code development effort is going into 2.6.x now.


    I have the Slack 12.0 CDs sitting on my desk waiting to be installed.

    > Rockbox?
    >
    > This page references the player as supported with their open firmware:
    > http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyRockbox


    I will check out this page thanks.

    > The warnings include this: "Rockbox doesn't function on the v2 models.
    > They can be spotted by the line "Supports Audible audio file formats" on
    > the packaging, or "v2" on the back of the player itself."


    Mine doesn't mention any of this on the packaging or the player.

    > There are also other words of caution on these pages, suggesting
    > that the player may be "bricked" if mistakes are made. The warnings also
    > include the warning against formatting the device's first 16MB partition,
    > etc.


    I'm trying to avoid making any irreversible changes so thanks for that. I
    had thought about trying to format that partition.

    Thanks for your help.

    Sal

  7. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    Sal Morreale wrote:
    >> /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, system IBM 6.0, FAT (16 bit)
    >>
    >> Your output will probably be a little different.


    > I tried your suggestions and here is the output.
    >
    > # dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4 4+0 records in
    > 4+0 records out
    >
    > # file /tmp/sda1.bin
    >
    > /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3e, OEM-ID "MSWIN4.1",
    > sectors/cluster 64, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT
    > 243, hidden sectors 1017, sectors 3971079 (volumes > 32 MB)
    >
    > Does this mean anything to anyone?


    It does really look like it should be a FAT file system. In my example
    above the file command was run on a Slackware 8.0 system. Obviously the
    file command on Slackware 9.1 is able to tell more about the first sector
    of a file system, when I run file on a copy of the same boot sector on a
    9.1 system I get the following:

    /tmp/hda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID "IBM 6.0",
    sectors/cluster 32, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT
    130, heads 32, hidden sectors 63, sectors 1062369 (volumes > 32 MB) ,
    serial number 0x9371cce, label: " ", FAT (16 bit)

    It might be worth to note that I got one more line than you posted. My
    last line says I have a FAT16 file system. Did you also get one more line?
    Do you have vfat listed in /proc/filesystems? If you want to dig really
    deep into this there is some information at
    http://thestarman.narod.ru/asm/mbr/MSWIN41.htm , but so far it seems as if
    the device contains a FAT file system which you should have been able to
    mount.

    regards Henrik
    --
    The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
    hc1(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost


  8. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    Sal Morreale a écrit :
    >
    > I tried your suggestions and here is the output.
    >
    > # dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    > 4+0 records in
    > 4+0 records out
    >
    > # file /tmp/sda1.bin
    >
    > /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3e, OEM-ID "MSWIN4.1",
    > sectors/cluster 64, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8,
    > sectors/FAT 243, hidden sectors 1017, sectors 3971079 (volumes > 32 MB)
    >
    > Does this mean anything to anyone?
    >
    > Sal


    Hi,

    i've got a Sansa E280 (8GB) and when I mount it on Linux it appears as a
    vfat volume :
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    usb-storage: device found at 4
    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    Vendor: SanDisk Model: Sansa e280 Rev:
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
    Vendor: SanDisk Model: Sansa e280 Rev:
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    SCSI device sda: 15708160 512-byte hdwr sectors (8043 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 00
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    SCSI device sda: 15708160 512-byte hdwr sectors (8043 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 00
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: sda1 sda2
    sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
    sd 0:0:0:1: Attached scsi removable disk sdb

    But fdisk complains about a strange partition table :
    root@diva:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda

    Disk /dev/sda: 8042 MB, 8042577920 bytes
    248 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1021 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 15376 * 512 = 7872512 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 1019 7833300 b W95 FAT32
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(0, 9, 34) logical=(0, 9, 43)
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(207, 60, 45) logical=(1018, 232, 48)
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 1019 1022 20480 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
    Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(207, 60, 46) logical=(1018, 232, 49)
    Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(209, 200, 55) logical=(1021, 149, 26)
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.

    I'm using Slamd 10.2 with kernel 2.6.18.

    Making the same command than you shows :
    root@diva:~# dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    4+0 records in
    4+0 records out
    root@diva:~# file /tmp/sda1.bin
    /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x58, OEM-ID "MSDOS5.0",
    sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 36, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads
    255, hidden sectors 600, sectors 15666600 (volumes > 32 MB) , FAT (32
    bit), sectors/FAT 15270, serial number 0x5c200ac9, label: "Sansa e280 "

    Which firmware are you using on your Sansa ? (lastest should be 01.02.18F)

    Regards,

    Marc.
    --
    L'I2C sous Windows
    http://perso.club-internet.fr/mbouget/index.html

    ATTENTION : enlevez les X pour répondre (remove all X to reply)

  9. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    On 2007-12-27, Marc wrote:
    > Sal Morreale a écrit :
    >>
    >> I tried your suggestions and here is the output.
    >>
    >> # dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    >> 4+0 records in
    >> 4+0 records out
    >>
    >> # file /tmp/sda1.bin
    >>
    >> /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3e, OEM-ID "MSWIN4.1",
    >> sectors/cluster 64, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8,
    >> sectors/FAT 243, hidden sectors 1017, sectors 3971079 (volumes > 32 MB)
    >>
    >> Does this mean anything to anyone?
    >>
    >> Sal

    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > i've got a Sansa E280 (8GB) and when I mount it on Linux it appears as a
    > vfat volume :
    > USB Mass Storage support registered.
    > usb-storage: device found at 4
    > usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    > Vendor: SanDisk Model: Sansa e280 Rev:
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
    > Vendor: SanDisk Model: Sansa e280 Rev:
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
    > usb-storage: device scan complete
    > SCSI device sda: 15708160 512-byte hdwr sectors (8043 MB)
    > sda: Write Protect is off
    > sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 00
    > sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    > SCSI device sda: 15708160 512-byte hdwr sectors (8043 MB)
    > sda: Write Protect is off
    > sda: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 00
    > sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    > sda: sda1 sda2
    > sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
    > sd 0:0:0:1: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
    >
    > But fdisk complains about a strange partition table :
    > root@diva:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda
    >
    > Disk /dev/sda: 8042 MB, 8042577920 bytes
    > 248 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1021 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 15376 * 512 = 7872512 bytes
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/sda1 1 1019 7833300 b W95 FAT32
    > Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    > phys=(0, 9, 34) logical=(0, 9, 43)
    > Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
    > phys=(207, 60, 45) logical=(1018, 232, 48)
    > Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    > /dev/sda2 1019 1022 20480 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
    > Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    > phys=(207, 60, 46) logical=(1018, 232, 49)
    > Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
    > phys=(209, 200, 55) logical=(1021, 149, 26)
    > Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    >
    > I'm using Slamd 10.2 with kernel 2.6.18.
    >
    > Making the same command than you shows :
    > root@diva:~# dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4
    > 4+0 records in
    > 4+0 records out
    > root@diva:~# file /tmp/sda1.bin
    > /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x58, OEM-ID "MSDOS5.0",
    > sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 36, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads
    > 255, hidden sectors 600, sectors 15666600 (volumes > 32 MB) , FAT (32
    > bit), sectors/FAT 15270, serial number 0x5c200ac9, label: "Sansa e280 "
    >
    > Which firmware are you using on your Sansa ? (lastest should be 01.02.18F)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Marc.


    My version # which I assume is the firmware is 01.00.04A

    Sal

  10. Re: Can't mount Sansa C250 mp3 player

    On 2007-12-27, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Sal Morreale wrote:
    >>> /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, system IBM 6.0, FAT (16 bit)
    >>>
    >>> Your output will probably be a little different.

    >
    >> I tried your suggestions and here is the output.
    >>
    >> # dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/tmp/sda1.bin bs=512 count=4 4+0 records in
    >> 4+0 records out
    >>
    >> # file /tmp/sda1.bin
    >>
    >> /tmp/sda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3e, OEM-ID "MSWIN4.1",
    >> sectors/cluster 64, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT
    >> 243, hidden sectors 1017, sectors 3971079 (volumes > 32 MB)
    >>
    >> Does this mean anything to anyone?

    >
    > It does really look like it should be a FAT file system. In my example
    > above the file command was run on a Slackware 8.0 system. Obviously the
    > file command on Slackware 9.1 is able to tell more about the first sector
    > of a file system, when I run file on a copy of the same boot sector on a
    > 9.1 system I get the following:
    >
    > /tmp/hda1.bin: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID "IBM 6.0",
    > sectors/cluster 32, root entries 512, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT
    > 130, heads 32, hidden sectors 63, sectors 1062369 (volumes > 32 MB) ,
    > serial number 0x9371cce, label: " ", FAT (16 bit)
    >
    > It might be worth to note that I got one more line than you posted. My
    > last line says I have a FAT16 file system. Did you also get one more line?


    No that was the complete output.

    > Do you have vfat listed in /proc/filesystems? If you want to dig really
    > deep into this there is some information at
    > http://thestarman.narod.ru/asm/mbr/MSWIN41.htm , but so far it seems as if
    > the device contains a FAT file system which you should have been able to
    > mount.
    >
    > regards Henrik


    $ cat /proc/filesystems
    nodev rootfs
    nodev bdev
    nodev proc
    nodev sockfs
    nodev tmpfs
    nodev shm
    nodev pipefs
    ext3
    ext2
    nodev ramfs
    umsdos
    msdos
    vfat
    iso9660
    nodev nfs
    reiserfs
    nodev devpts
    nodev usbdevfs
    nodev usbfs

    Seems to be there. I can mount vfat filesystems on my /dev/hda drive, zip
    drive and floppy so I can't see why I can't mount this if it really is a
    vfat filesystem. I'm sure it is either the USB configuration or there is
    something on that MP3 player that is preventing it.

    Thanks for your help

    Sal

+ Reply to Thread