Microsoft installer - excel - Slackware

This is a discussion on Microsoft installer - excel - Slackware ; Hello, I have a file r.xls that I thought was an Microsoft Excel file and tried to open it with my spreadsheet (Xess, non free for which I paid for) and it was unable to do so. I'm sure I ...

  1. Microsoft installer - excel

    Hello,

    I have a file r.xls that I thought was an Microsoft Excel file and
    tried to open it with my spreadsheet (Xess, non free for which I paid
    for) and it was unable to do so. I'm sure I opened Excel files before
    with Xess. I did

    file r.xls

    and got essentially

    r.xls : Microsoft Installer

    I would appreciate any help on how to open this file. I haven't got
    Gnumeric installed, and can't seem to find it on the Slackware in
    version 12.

    Thanks in advance

    klee12

  2. Re: Microsoft installer - excel

    klee12 wrote:

    > r.xls : Microsoft Installer

    I would be suspicious of the file, unless you know for sure that you can
    trust the source, and that the source meant to send it to you. You
    might want to try "strings r.xls |more" to see if the contents are
    indeed what you expect them to be.

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  3. Re: Microsoft installer - excel

    klee12 wrote:

    > I would appreciate any help on how to open this file. I haven't got
    > Gnumeric installed, and can't seem to find it on the Slackware in
    > version 12.

    Download a copy of OpenOffice. Their spreadsheet app is able to read Excel files.

    -- anthony
    --
    http://www.whuddafug.com

  4. Re: Microsoft installer - excel

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:07:22 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > klee12 wrote:
    >
    >> r.xls : Microsoft Installer

    > I would be suspicious of the file,

    That's a good idea for any file coming from external sources.

    > unless you know for sure that you can
    > trust the source, and that the source meant to send it to you. You
    > might want to try "strings r.xls |more" to see if the contents are
    > indeed what you expect them to be.

    Let's put apart the fact that I believe someone that uses
    ..xls format while a .csv format could be used is probably
    in need of a demonstration of what can be achieved thru a
    simple malevolent macro (right, it is also true for scripts
    and anything that's active ;-)

    This point taken apart I can certify that most of the .xls
    that I meet these days are spotted by 'file' as the OP
    quoted ("Microsoft Installer"), so the idea of strings|more
    is a good one.
    In case the OP can directly read binary code and possible
    readressing the use of 'od -Ad -c' (or xxd for the traitors
    that use vim instead of elVIs ;-) can be a must but the best
    way would be to do it in a sandbox, posibly a snapshot under QEMU
    or family.

    Now, if the source is identified, certified, etc. don't fuss
    with paranoia and just try OOo or soffice, usually the next
    problem is in the data adequation to reality, as this is a PoV
    that has no POV you can forget it :-)

  5. Re: Microsoft installer - excel

    Thanks to all who replied.

    I tried to install koffice and open it in their spreadsheet, but
    wasn't able to. It might have been because I didn't load enought of
    the KDE environmental packages, but I was in a hurry to leave for
    Christmas and didn't want to take the trouble. I could have tried to
    get an OpenOffice package on the net, but I heard that it was very
    large and slow, and didn't want to go to the trouble. I solved my
    problem by copying the file onto a floppy and having opening it on
    another machine.

    Good point about security. I assumed that macros that made system
    calls for MS products probably wouldn't work under Linux. Is that a
    safe assumption? I'm confident that the sender did not intend to
    spread virus, but his computer could have been infected.

    klee12

+ Reply to Thread