Open Source Chinese fonts in Slackware/Firefox - Slackware

This is a discussion on Open Source Chinese fonts in Slackware/Firefox - Slackware ; For the record (so folks can search/find this info)... After spending an afternoon digging around for various solutions to seeing boxes with numbers in them for Chinese fonts in Firefox, and finding not much more than "Just copy Micro$erfeds fonts" ...

  1. Open Source Chinese fonts in Slackware/Firefox

    For the record (so folks can search/find this info)...

    After spending an afternoon digging around for various solutions to
    seeing boxes with numbers in them for Chinese fonts in Firefox, and
    finding not much more than "Just copy Micro$erfeds fonts" advice, I
    got fed up and demanded of Google "I want OPEN SOURCE!"

    I got the "WenQuanYi Bitmap Song CJK Font" project.
    http://wqy.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/e...?BitmapSong_en

    I found a simple quick-cheat to getting these fonts operational for
    a single user.
    (See the package included instructions for a full system install)

    1: Download the fonts (I used wqy-bitmapfont-pcf-0.9.9-0.tar.gz)
    2: tar zxvf wqy-bitmapfont*.tar.gz
    3: copy the wenquanyi*.pcf files to ~/.fonts/ (create if required)
    4: also copy the 85-wqy-bitmapsong.conf file to ~/.fonts/
    5: Add "~/.fonts/" to .fonts.conf (create if required)

    Then just restart X and Firefox.

    Hope this is of some use to somebody somewhere sometime.

    --
    ________________.0.________________
    The Way of the Chao-Pao! is strong.

  2. Re: Open Source Chinese fonts in Slackware/Firefox

    Mike wrote:
    > For the record (so folks can search/find this info)...
    >
    > After spending an afternoon digging around for various solutions to
    > seeing boxes with numbers in them for Chinese fonts in Firefox, and
    > finding not much more than "Just copy Micro$erfeds fonts" advice, I
    > got fed up and demanded of Google "I want OPEN SOURCE!"
    >
    > I got the "WenQuanYi Bitmap Song CJK Font" project.
    > http://wqy.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/e...?BitmapSong_en
    >
    > I found a simple quick-cheat to getting these fonts operational for
    > a single user.
    > (See the package included instructions for a full system install)
    >
    > 1: Download the fonts (I used wqy-bitmapfont-pcf-0.9.9-0.tar.gz)
    > 2: tar zxvf wqy-bitmapfont*.tar.gz
    > 3: copy the wenquanyi*.pcf files to ~/.fonts/ (create if required)
    > 4: also copy the 85-wqy-bitmapsong.conf file to ~/.fonts/
    > 5: Add "~/.fonts/" to .fonts.conf (create if required)
    >
    > Then just restart X and Firefox.
    >

    > Hope this is of some use to somebody somewhere sometime.

    Hi!

    Could you please try this font package:
    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...-arphic-uming/ and tell
    me what you find about the quality of the font. To me it made a huge
    difference in how chinese web sites look in my browser - there is
    chinese character support in the default Slackware font but it is not
    at all comparable to a good Chinese TTF font.

    The Wen Quan Yi font is not as easy to package since it will break
    whenever you run fc-cache (which is at every boot) unless you install
    the font in your homedirectory, like you did.

    Indeed, people tell me all the time that only the Microsoft fonts look
    good for Chinese, but that also implies that you have to recompile the
    freetype package with an enabled bytecode interpreter and subpixel
    rendering - and that is something which will never go into Slackware
    because of the patents that lie with Apple and Microsoft.

    So, I am interested in anything that makes a Chinese desktop look
    good, with crisp fonts, while not having to revert to using non-free
    stuff.

    For Slackware 12.0 you also need
    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/sas/...-2_slack12.tgz
    because the libXft package in Slackware 12.0 was not recompiled
    against the freetype lib that is part of Slackware 12.0. Without the
    patched libXft package, Chinese web pages don't look nearly as good.

    The libXft package has been fixed in slackware-current btw.

    Cheers, Eric

    BTW: why the f**k did you post in multiple groups and set a follow-up
    to alt.os.linux? Don't do that again. I hate to see my answers vanish
    to a newsgroup I don't follow.

  3. Re: Open Source Chinese fonts in Slackware/Firefox

    Responding to Eric Hameleers...

    [...]
    > BTW: why the f**k did you post in multiple groups and set a follow-up
    > to alt.os.linux? Don't do that again. I hate to see my answers vanish
    > to a newsgroup I don't follow.

    Oops! Seemd like the logical thing to do as some alt.os.linux readers
    might not sub to alt.os.linux.slackware. Plus, SLRN nags if it
    doesn't get a followup-to.

    And to make things worse, I've just replied to you on alt.os.linux.

    Long story short, WQY fonts were apparently supposed to supercede
    firefly (Mingti), so I'm thinking that WQY are ahead in quality, as
    that was one of the project's stated goals. Plus, I'm not running
    Slack12 yet.

    I think thats about as much help as I can be ATM. Good hunting.

    --
    The Way of the Chao-Pao! is strong.
    http://tinyurl.com/382gmp

+ Reply to Thread