HOWTO bring up Slackware on an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop. - Slackware

This is a discussion on HOWTO bring up Slackware on an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop. - Slackware ; I just spent several days trying to get an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop running under Slackware 12. While the install went fine, after installation I found no wired or wireless ethernet and no sound. In my efforts I tried to ...

  1. HOWTO bring up Slackware on an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop.

    I just spent several days trying to get an Acer Aspire 5520
    laptop running under Slackware 12. While the install went
    fine, after installation I found no wired or wireless
    ethernet and no sound. In my efforts I tried to install
    many many of the major distributions. The results were
    laughable and only Freespire successfully loaded. It
    had wired ethernet but no sound.

    Some of the software mentioned below is rapidly
    changing. This is especially true for madwifi and
    a version later than 0.9.3.3 might include the
    patches required for the Acer 5520.

    Here are the steps I followed to implement both wired
    and wireless ethernet and sound:

    1. In order to make things easier in the long run
    download and install the 2.6.23 kernel.

    Copy the .config file from the Slackware kernel
    /usr/src/linux into the new linux-2.6.23
    directory. Edit the .config file to remove the
    -smp thing in the local version option. Then
    do make oldconfig. Then do make menuconfig
    and, under File Systems change the M options
    to *. Save the modified .config.

    Do NOT change the processor type. The current
    wireless cannot run in 64 bit mode.

    I am told you can then just do make. I do:
    make modules
    make modules_install
    make bzImage
    go over to the boot directory and move bzImage
    into the /boot directory and do a lilo.

    2. Download and install the acer_acpi package:
    acer_acpi-0.10_rc4.tar.bz2
    You can google for the location.

    3. This is the tricky part: download the madwifi 0.9.3.3
    package and the patch madwifi-ng-09333.ar245.20071130.i386.patch
    The tricky part is finding the damned patch. It is
    a sometime thing on the madwifi site. Follow the
    instructions on patching the madwifi package and
    build and install it.

    4. Boot into the new kernel and do iwconfig.
    You should see ath0 and eth7 along with
    wifi0 [nothing useful to us] and lo.

    5. The sound part took many hours of experimenting
    to bring up. It turns out that the problem was
    with the alsa packages. Slack 12 uses alsa 1.0.14
    or some such and the chipset in the Acer requires
    1.0.15. I went to the alsa site and downloaded
    every damned one of the alsa subpackages. I put
    each into a separate directory under a master
    /alsa directory.

    Go to /var/log/packages and to:
    removepkg alsa*

    For each of the alsa subpackages
    except the tools, you can cd into the subdirectory,
    ./configure;make;make install. Checkinstall doesn't work.
    Then under the tools subdirectory you have to do
    the same process. A script is handy here:
    for dir in *
    do
    cd $dir
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    done

    I wasted a lot of time putting various options
    into /etc/modprobe.conf: NONE is needed.

    6. Reboot the system and do alsamixer. Unmute the
    play options and crank up the volume. Escape
    out of alsamixer and do alsactl store.

    Play something and go kiss your wife.

    I hope this is clear enough for anyone interested
    in the Acer 5520.

    Side story: I have a fully functional Thinkpad 600
    with pcmcia cards for wired and wireless ethernet
    so I didn't *need* the Acer. The battery in my
    bike speed-odom-meter died and I have been trying
    to find a replacement 344. No one, not even Radio
    shack seems to have it. I was near a Staples and
    tried them. Then I went across the street to
    Circuit City. No luck. While I was wandering
    around the store I noticed the Acer 5520 was on
    sale for $469. I was interested in which wireless
    chipset the machine used so I tried to execute
    an ipconfig /all. The machine was asking for a
    password so I called the manager over and asked
    her to enter one. She tried for several minutes
    then said the machine was defective and would
    be returned to Acer. I sprung: I told her
    Vista wasn't important to me and I offered
    $369. She took it. So that is how I got the
    machine.

  2. Re: HOWTO bring up Slackware on an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop.

    root wrote:
    > 2. Download and install the acer_acpi package:
    > acer_acpi-0.10_rc4.tar.bz2
    > You can google for the location.

    This is an old release - 0.10 stable has been out for about a week now.

    -Carlos
    --
    E-Mail: carlos@strangeworlds.co.uk
    Web: strangeworlds.co.uk

  3. Re: HOWTO bring up Slackware on an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop.

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:41:28 +0000, root wrote:

    > 5. The sound part took many hours of experimenting
    > to bring up. It turns out that the problem was with the alsa

    packages.
    > Slack 12 uses alsa 1.0.14 or some such and the chipset in the Acer
    > requires 1.0.15.

    This is a kernel thing, not a Slack 12 thing. I too had a problem with my
    new hp dv6500 series notebook. The Alsa 1.0.15 DRIVER is not in the kernel
    as of stable 2.6.23.12. Also, Alsa 1.0.15 was released (October 16) way
    after Slack 12 (July 2) came out.

    Have fun and think of all the great things you've learned.

    Paul

  4. Re: HOWTO bring up Slackware on an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop.

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:41:28 +0000, root wrote:

    > I just spent several days trying to get an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop running
    > under Slackware 12...
    >
    > Here are the steps I followed to implement both wired and wireless
    > ethernet and sound:

    As a courtesy to others who don't know about a.o.l.s., perhaps you could
    have this how-to posted at tuxmobile.org. I don't know if they can host
    the information they provide links for, though.
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

+ Reply to Thread