Attention Buck And Carlos - Slackware

This is a discussion on Attention Buck And Carlos - Slackware ; All connect problems solved! I want to thank both of you for all your help. Double thanks. Now, for the explanation. Carlos your google search which revealed that I don't have an AR5006EG but the 5007 was the solution. It ...

  1. Attention Buck And Carlos

    All connect problems solved! I want to thank both of you
    for all your help. Double thanks.

    Now, for the explanation. Carlos your google search
    which revealed that I don't have an AR5006EG but
    the 5007 was the solution. It turns out that a patch
    to the Atheros software was just released for that
    chip. (negotiating the madwifi site is a problem
    in itself). After patching the 0.9.3.3 madwifi
    package I installed the modules into the kernel
    package. I couldn't just rmmod the ath_pci
    and reload it, I had to reboot. Then I find
    I have ath0 and wifi0 devices.

    Now here is the solution for you Buck:
    iwconfig reveals that I have eth7.

    Yes, eth7 which doesn't appear under ifconfig
    but pops up under iwconfig. I think it was
    there all the time, just hiding.

    I would like it to come up as eth0 so it would
    connect normally, any suggestions?

    BTW, I patched forcedeth.c at or about line 5175 to
    change the sense of the test:
    if ((txreg & NVREG_TRANSMITPOLL_MAC_ADDR_REV) ||
    I changed to
    if (!(txreg & NVREG_TRANSMITPOLL_MAC_ADDR_REV) ||

    because forcedeth was returning a reversed mac
    address on my machine. I didn't like the error
    message in dmesg.

    Really great job you guys and I can keep running
    Slackware.

    Thanks again.

  2. Re: Attention Buck And Carlos

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:33:30 GMT, root wrote:

    >All connect problems solved! I want to thank both of you
    >for all your help. Double thanks.

    I'm happy for you. No thanks to me, though because I don't see that I
    was any help in leading you to your solution.

    >Now here is the solution for you Buck:
    >iwconfig reveals that I have eth7.
    >
    >Yes, eth7 which doesn't appear under ifconfig
    >but pops up under iwconfig. I think it was
    >there all the time, just hiding.
    >
    >I would like it to come up as eth0 so it would
    >connect normally, any suggestions?

    Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-devices.rules

    If it isn't there, I don't have a clue, though Google and Ask Jeeves
    probably will . I've seen the solution, but I never bothered to
    learn it because it does not affect me.
    --
    buck

  3. Re: Attention Buck And Carlos

    buck wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:33:30 GMT, root wrote:
    >
    >>All connect problems solved! I want to thank both of you
    >>for all your help. Double thanks.

    > I'm happy for you. No thanks to me, though because I don't see that I
    > was any help in leading you to your solution.
    >
    >>Now here is the solution for you Buck:
    >>iwconfig reveals that I have eth7.
    >>
    >>Yes, eth7 which doesn't appear under ifconfig
    >>but pops up under iwconfig. I think it was
    >>there all the time, just hiding.
    >>
    >>I would like it to come up as eth0 so it would
    >>connect normally, any suggestions?

    > Look in /etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-devices.rules
    >
    > If it isn't there, I don't have a clue, though Google and Ask Jeeves
    > probably will . I've seen the solution, but I never bothered to
    > learn it because it does not affect me.
    > --
    > buck

    The Slack way to handle the eth7 way is to use IFNAME[] in
    rc.inet1.conf. To map eth7 into eth1, use:
    IFNAME[1]="eth7"
    along with what other options you want for the IP address,
    dhcp, and mask.

+ Reply to Thread