Attn root: forcedeth / eth0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Attn root: forcedeth / eth0 - Slackware ; I am not able to follow what has happened since your new kernel build. Can you please use 2 or 3 threads - one for WiFi, another for eth0 and possibly another for other issues? Since it works the first ...

  1. Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    I am not able to follow what has happened since your new kernel build.

    Can you please use 2 or 3 threads - one for WiFi, another for eth0 and
    possibly another for other issues?

    Since it works the first time, I still maintain that something after
    the forcedeth module loads is causing your eth0 problem. Please:
    1) modprobe -r forcedeth
    2) make sure the module is not loaded and that the only device
    ifconfig shows is lo
    3) insmod forcedeth
    4) report everything displayed or logged from having done #3

    5) Assuming success with 'insmod forcedeth', and with a static IP
    configured in rc.inet1.conf, run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
    6) Assuming success. down eth0 and modify rc.inet1.conf so that you
    DHCP an IP, then run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

    7) Report results
    --
    buck

  2. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    buck wrote:
    > I am not able to follow what has happened since your new kernel build.
    >
    > Can you please use 2 or 3 threads - one for WiFi, another for eth0 and
    > possibly another for other issues?

    I'm sorry Buck, I will follow up this thread with
    the stuff pertaining to forcedeth.

    > Since it works the first time, I still maintain that something after
    > the forcedeth module loads is causing your eth0 problem. Please:

    "Working the first time" means the first time after I boot
    a new installation and all during that first session. Never
    after.

    > 1) modprobe -r forcedeth

    OK, done

    DMESG: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000.00.0a.0- disabled

    I take this as a good sign, that forcedeth owned the
    interrupt before rmmod.

    > 2) make sure the module is not loaded and that the only device
    > ifconfig shows is lo

    Yes, ifconfig shows only lo, as it does all the time.

    > 3) insmod forcedeth

    insmod reports: can't read 'forcedeth':No such file file or directory.
    Nothing sent to dmesg.

    So, I do modprobe forcedeth:

    DMESG:Several lines:
    forcedeth.c:reversed engineered.....
    ACPI:PCI Interrupt 0000:00.0.[A] -> Link [LMAC] -> GSI 21 (level,low) ->IRQ 18
    PCI:Setting latency timer of devide 0000:00:0a to 64
    forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
    eth0:forcedeth.c:subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0

    > 4) report everything displayed or logged from having done #3
    >
    > 5) Assuming success with 'insmod forcedeth', and with a static IP
    > configured in rc.inet1.conf, run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

    I had to change rc.inet1.conf to fixed IP instead of DHCP.

    I did it by supplying an IPADDR[0], no netmask, and use DHCP=""

    No success: after executing rc.inet1 I still get only lo
    for ifconfig.

    > 6) Assuming success. down eth0 and modify rc.inet1.conf so that you
    > DHCP an IP, then run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

    Needless to say, after restoring rc.inet1.conf and re-running
    rc.inet1 I still get only lo for ifconfig.

    > 7) Report results
    > --
    > buck

    I know its heartbreaking and confounding Buck.

    You might have missed my mention that the Trinity
    rescue disk is able to bring up eth0. I had to type
    all the stuff in with the laptop sitting in my lap
    while I worked at the desktop. I think I got
    everything right, but the bottom line is no eth0.

  3. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:59:54 GMT, root wrote:

    >buck wrote:
    >> I am not able to follow what has happened since your new kernel build.
    >>
    >> Can you please use 2 or 3 threads - one for WiFi, another for eth0 and
    >> possibly another for other issues?

    >I'm sorry Buck, I will follow up this thread with
    >the stuff pertaining to forcedeth.
    >
    >> Since it works the first time, I still maintain that something after
    >> the forcedeth module loads is causing your eth0 problem. Please:

    >"Working the first time" means the first time after I boot
    >a new installation and all during that first session. Never
    >after.
    >
    >> 1) modprobe -r forcedeth

    >OK, done
    >
    >DMESG: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000.00.0a.0- disabled
    >
    >I take this as a good sign, that forcedeth owned the
    >interrupt before rmmod.
    >
    >> 2) make sure the module is not loaded and that the only device
    >> ifconfig shows is lo

    >Yes, ifconfig shows only lo, as it does all the time.
    >
    >> 3) insmod forcedeth

    >insmod reports: can't read 'forcedeth':No such file file or directory.
    >Nothing sent to dmesg.

    Yes, insmod is broken in SL 12. Sorry.

    >So, I do modprobe forcedeth:
    >
    >DMESG:Several lines:
    >forcedeth.c:reversed engineered.....
    >ACPI:PCI Interrupt 0000:00.0.[A] -> Link [LMAC] -> GSI 21 (level,low) ->IRQ 18
    >PCI:Setting latency timer of devide 0000:00:0a to 64
    >forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
    >eth0:forcedeth.c:subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0

    OK, now
    cat /proc/net/dev

    Is eth0 there? It should be, with all zeros. On my system with 2
    NICs where only eth0 is UP, I see lo and eth0 activity while eth1 has
    none.

    If eth0 is there, run
    ip link set eth0 up

    When I do that for eth1, it sets eth1 up with no IP, and dmesg is
    silent. Your results should be the same if there really is an eth0
    device.

    You previously reported failure with the ip link command. What I'm
    after with the /proc/net and the ip link is to see if a device is
    really there after modprobe -r and then modprobe. It becomes
    increasingly likely that there's no eth0 device.

    >You might have missed my mention that the Trinity
    >rescue disk is able to bring up eth0. I had to type
    >all the stuff in with the laptop sitting in my lap
    >while I worked at the desktop. I think I got
    >everything right, but the bottom line is no eth0.

    But the Trinity disk boots, which means it runs its own kernel and its
    own startup scripts. Which means that it muddies the waters a lot
    less than a standard SL boot... Probably so would Slax, the Live CD.

    And speaking of Slax, I'm beginning to wonder if it would not be more
    efficient for you to create a running SL on this computer by starting
    with that...

    what, run
    man udev
    and
    man hald
    and read the top of rc.modules. Essentially, udev is the likely
    reason for modules to load when you think they should not or the order
    of the load differs from what you expect.
    --
    buck

  4. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    On 2007-12-20, root wrote:

    > Yes, ifconfig shows only lo, as it does all the time.

    This may be stupid, but I have just configured eth0 in
    preparation for clearwire, and ifconfig doesn't show anything
    but lo either.

    ifconfig -a does, though...

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:5A:5E0:06
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:9 Base address:0x4c00

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:412 (412.0 b) TX bytes:412 (412.0 b)

    Drove me nuts for a while. Any chance you have made the same mistake?

    Not sure exactly how I made this happen. But when I determined on the
    web that I needed the tulip module and put /sbin/modprobe tulip in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules,
    ran netconfig and chose dhcp, and rebooted, eth0 came up.

    The lack of a /dev/eth0 is really weird...

    Tom

  5. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

  6. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    On 2007-12-21, A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > Okay.. I've been following this a bit loosely, but I think I
    > see a problem here. So let's start this at the beginning, and without
    > the rc.d scripts YET.
    >
    > Could you try the following:
    >
    > 1. modprobe -r forcedeth. This should drop your NIC, which should
    > be eth0.
    >
    > 2. modprobe forcedeth. It should come back as eth0. Output should
    > be sent to the screen, or check dmesg. It should say eth0.
    >
    > 3. ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.0. This should
    > assign eth0 an static IP address. It should return nothing.
    >
    > 4. ifconfig. You should see eth0 there.
    >
    > 5. ping the above IP address. You should get responses back.

    Well I'll be! Different module, but that worked.

    $ ifconfig

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:5A:5E0:06
    inet addr:192.168.10.1 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:9 Base address:0x4c00

    $ ping -c 5 192.168.10.1

    > If this works, do an 'ifconfig eth0 down', and put that same IP
    > address and netmask into the IPADDR[0] and NETMASK[0] lines in
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf, then run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1. Ping the IP
    > address again, and check to see if you get responses back. You should.

    Yep.

    > If that works, then comment out the IPADDR and NETMASK lines,
    > and set up for DHCP.

    As near as I can tell, that just means putting the 'yes' in this line:

    USE_DHCP[0]="yes"

    and running dhcpcd at boot.

    > Also, you may want to verify that forcedeth isn't
    > on modprobe's blacklist. verify that by looking through
    > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. It shouldn't be there, but check to make
    > sure.
    >
    > I've used the forcedeth driver before and haven't had any
    > problems at all.

    Thanks for laying this out so clearly.

    Tom

  7. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    Tom N wrote:
    > Not sure exactly how I made this happen. But when I determined on the
    > web that I needed the tulip module and put /sbin/modprobe tulip in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules,
    > ran netconfig and chose dhcp, and rebooted, eth0 came up.
    >
    > The lack of a /dev/eth0 is really weird...
    >

    > Tom

    You youngsters are spoiled today. Back in the old days we
    had to do all that stuff for *every* module.

    Glad you are up.

  8. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    I reported in a different thread that forcedeth was working
    all along. It just brought up the wired connection as
    eth7 which wasn't shown by ifconfig. I found it when
    I got wireless running and use iwconfig.

  9. Re: Attn root: forcedeth / eth0

    On 2007-12-21, root wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >> Not sure exactly how I made this happen. But when I determined on the
    >> web that I needed the tulip module and put /sbin/modprobe tulip in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules,
    >> ran netconfig and chose dhcp, and rebooted, eth0 came up.
    >>
    >> The lack of a /dev/eth0 is really weird...
    >>

    >> Tom
    >>

    > You youngsters are spoiled today. Back in the old days we
    > had to do all that stuff for *every* module.

    Jeesh!

    I'm not young in chronological years, just in computer-internet years.

    These newfangled computer thingies are sumptin, aint they? :\

    > Glad you are up.

    Thanks. I have been lucky as hell, obviously.

    Just ordered clearwire wimax. When the connection is up (fingers crossed)
    I am going to post a little howto for Slack on the earlier thread on the subject
    I started: "Clearwire on Slackware".

    Thanks for the very informative threads. I have been learning
    a lot. Wouldn't be up without them, actually.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male