Help: Slackware vs. Freespire - Slackware

This is a discussion on Help: Slackware vs. Freespire - Slackware ; I recently bought a new laptop:Acer 5520. Nightmares ensued. Short story: no ethernet, no wireless, no sound. So, I began a process of trying every other distribution. I will post the results of that, some laughable results. Again short story: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

  1. Help: Slackware vs. Freespire


    I recently bought a new laptop:Acer 5520. Nightmares ensued.
    Short story: no ethernet, no wireless, no sound. So, I
    began a process of trying every other distribution. I
    will post the results of that, some laughable results.

    Again short story: only Freespire enables ethernet, but
    no wireless nor sound.

    So I am trying to understand what the difference is between
    Freespire (FS) and Slackware 12 (SL). FS uses grub. So
    I installed FS, then clobbered the MBR with lilo. I built
    the same kernel under SL and added a lilo entry into FS.
    Now I have a dual boot system with lilo and FS and SL.

    Now both FS and SL use the same forcedeth module, but
    eth0 comes up in FS but not in SL. I am having a hell
    of a time finding where FS loads the modules. Although
    FS is based on debian, it doesn't use the debian configs
    or start procedures.

    I want to track this down so I can delete the Freespire
    partition.

    Any ideas of how the identical module can be loaded
    in FS and work, but not work in Slackware?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:

    > Any ideas of how the identical module can be loaded
    > in FS and work, but not work in Slackware?


    Compare the outputs of "lsmod" in each case. Also, if you want to avoid
    further headaches, study carefully the output of "lspci" (on either
    system), and perhaps the output of dmesg, at least to the point where
    the system is fully booted (ie. ignore dmesg output that is the result
    of your manually poking around).

    I hope that helps ...

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:05:51 GMT, root wrote:

    >Any ideas of how the identical module can be loaded
    >in FS and work, but not work in Slackware?


    The most likely reason is that there are parameters passed in FS that
    are absent in SL when the module is modprobed. However, you do not
    give enough information to know for certain. For example, what does
    lsmod say about forcedeth? And what happens when you run 'ip link set
    eth0 up'? How does eth0 get its IP? What is it connected to?
    --
    buck


  4. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Le Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:05:51 +0000, root a écritÂ*:

    > I recently bought a new laptop:Acer 5520. Nightmares ensued. Short
    > story: no ethernet, no wireless, no sound. So, I began a process of
    > trying every other distribution. I will post the results of that, some
    > laughable results.
    >
    > Again short story: only Freespire enables ethernet, but no wireless nor
    > sound.


    If it works with one distro, it will work with Slackware. Rule number one.

    Open a console, type 'lspci' and post the output here. Then we'll see for
    rule number two.

    cheers,

    Niki

  5. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > I recently bought a new laptop:Acer 5520.


    Aspire? Extensa? Ferrari? TravelMate?

    Please specify which range this belongs to - 5520 on it's own isn't much
    help (I suspect you probably have an Acer Aspire 5520, but I don't have a
    full listing of all the Acer laptop models).

    > Again short story: only Freespire enables ethernet, but
    > no wireless nor sound.


    Sound on a new laptop requires either:

    A) A _really_ new kernel (most distributions releases are still shipping
    with 2.6.22 at best - you will need either 2.6.23 or wait for 2.6.24).

    or

    B) The latest version of alsa-drivers.

    For wireless:



    You will need acer_acpi to enable the radio on the wireless card (it's not
    yet built into the kernel, although I am working on that):

    http://code.google.com/p/aceracpi



    -Carlos


  6. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    buck wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:05:51 GMT, root wrote:
    >
    >>Any ideas of how the identical module can be loaded
    >>in FS and work, but not work in Slackware?

    >
    > The most likely reason is that there are parameters passed in FS that
    > are absent in SL when the module is modprobed. However, you do not
    > give enough information to know for certain. For example, what does
    > lsmod say about forcedeth? And what happens when you run 'ip link set
    > eth0 up'? How does eth0 get its IP? What is it connected to?
    > --
    > buck
    >


    In both cases lsmod shows the forcedeth module present. Similarly
    lscpi shows the same information under Freespire as in Slackware.
    dmesg under Slack shows something possible: it says
    eth0: forcedeth.c:subsystem 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0
    which might mean that eth0 is brought up at that time.

    However that statement is followed by some ACPI stuff
    including IRQ 19 disabled.

    I tried turning off ACPI in the kernel, but the system
    wouldn't boot. As far as the ip link statement, it
    returns SIOCGIFFLAGS:no such device. There is no
    eth0. You can bring up eth0 without an IP address,
    it is a hardware thing.

  7. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Le Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:05:51 +0000, root a écrit*:
    >
    >> I recently bought a new laptop:Acer 5520. Nightmares ensued. Short
    >> story: no ethernet, no wireless, no sound. So, I began a process of
    >> trying every other distribution. I will post the results of that, some
    >> laughable results.
    >>
    >> Again short story: only Freespire enables ethernet, but no wireless nor
    >> sound.

    >
    > If it works with one distro, it will work with Slackware. Rule number one.
    >
    > Open a console, type 'lspci' and post the output here. Then we'll see for
    > rule number two.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Niki



    The lspci results are the same under each system:


    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 054c (rev a2)


    Here is the corresponding lspci -nnv:

    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:054c] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device [1025:0126]
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at f2688000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at 30f8 [size=8]
    Memory at f2689c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Memory at f2689800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16]
    Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-
    Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping


  8. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >> I recently bought a new laptop:Acer 5520.

    >
    > Aspire? Extensa? Ferrari? TravelMate?
    >
    > Please specify which range this belongs to - 5520 on it's own isn't much
    > help (I suspect you probably have an Acer Aspire 5520, but I don't have a
    > full listing of all the Acer laptop models).


    Yes, it is an Aspire 5520-5334.

    > Sound on a new laptop requires either:
    >
    > A) A _really_ new kernel (most distributions releases are still shipping
    > with 2.6.22 at best - you will need either 2.6.23 or wait for 2.6.24).
    >


    I have put up 2.6.23. I have tried everything from 2.6.16 to 2.6.23.
    I stick with 2.6.20 for now because the wireless package madwifi will
    not make under kernels later than 2.6.21. I chose 2.6.20 because that
    is what Freespire used.

    > You will need acer_acpi to enable the radio on the wireless card (it's not
    > yet built into the kernel, although I am working on that):
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/aceracpi
    >


    This machine uses the Atheros chipset. Atheros said that the
    module ath_pci should work. It loads, but I can't bring
    up wifi. I would be glad to wait on a wired connection if
    I could get a wireless connection.

    I built your module version 10. modprobe of acer_acpi yields
    several unknown symbols: backlight_device_unregister, led_classdev_register,
    backlight_device_register, led_classdev_register... The wmi_acer
    module loaded.

    I didn't get any man pages with the package. I rmmod all the
    ath_pci modules before I tried yours. I tried iwconfig ra0
    after loading your module but neither ra0 or wlan0 were
    available.

    Tell me more about the modprobe commands to get your
    modules loaded, and what I should do after they are
    loaded.

    Thanks.


  9. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > This machine uses the Atheros chipset. Atheros said that the
    > module ath_pci should work. It loads, but I can't bring
    > up wifi. I would be glad to wait on a wired connection if
    > I could get a wireless connection.


    ath_pci will drive the card, but it can't turn on the radio - which is where
    acer_acpi comes in. Once acer_acpi has turned the radio on, its then up to
    the driver for the wireless card to do something

    > I built your module version 10. modprobe of acer_acpi yields
    > several unknown symbols: backlight_device_unregister,
    > led_classdev_register, backlight_device_register, led_classdev_register...


    You need to build the LCD and backlight subsystems into your kernel (either
    built in, or as modules).

    > I didn't get any man pages with the package.


    There is a file named 'README' in the source tarball. This is a kernel
    module, so man pages aren't that appropriate.

    > I rmmod all the
    > ath_pci modules before I tried yours. I tried iwconfig ra0
    > after loading your module but neither ra0 or wlan0 were
    > available.


    No, you will still need ath_pci.

    > Tell me more about the modprobe commands to get your
    > modules loaded, and what I should do after they are
    > loaded.


    Once acer_acpi is loaded:

    echo 1 > /proc/acpi/acer/wireless

    Will turn on the wireless radio. You can then carry on with ath_pci, etc as
    normal.

    -Carlos


  10. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    >
    >> I built your module version 10. modprobe of acer_acpi yields
    >> several unknown symbols: backlight_device_unregister,
    >> led_classdev_register, backlight_device_register, led_classdev_register...

    >
    > You need to build the LCD and backlight subsystems into your kernel (either
    > built in, or as modules).
    >


    I had to search around to find the backlight subsystem. I use a
    framebuffer console and it seems that backlight is excluded
    for fb. Is that true, or is there some trick to getting
    an fb console with the backlight subsystem?


  11. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    >>
    >>> I built your module version 10. modprobe of acer_acpi yields
    >>> several unknown symbols: backlight_device_unregister,
    >>> led_classdev_register, backlight_device_register, led_classdev_register...

    >>
    >> You need to build the LCD and backlight subsystems into your kernel (either
    >> built in, or as modules).
    >>

    >
    > I had to search around to find the backlight subsystem. I use a
    > framebuffer console and it seems that backlight is excluded
    > for fb. Is that true, or is there some trick to getting
    > an fb console with the backlight subsystem?
    >


    I need more help in getting the backlight and led class register
    stuff defined. I am using kernel 2.6.20. I got the backlight
    option defined in .config but still the register things
    are undefined. What options do I need to enable? I am working
    in devices/graphics, is that right?

  12. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >> Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I built your module version 10. modprobe of acer_acpi yields
    >>>> several unknown symbols: backlight_device_unregister,
    >>>> led_classdev_register, backlight_device_register, led_classdev_register...
    >>>
    >>> You need to build the LCD and backlight subsystems into your kernel (either
    >>> built in, or as modules).
    >>>

    >>
    >> I had to search around to find the backlight subsystem. I use a
    >> framebuffer console and it seems that backlight is excluded
    >> for fb. Is that true, or is there some trick to getting
    >> an fb console with the backlight subsystem?
    >>

    >
    > I need more help in getting the backlight and led class register
    > stuff defined. I am using kernel 2.6.20. I got the backlight
    > option defined in .config but still the register things
    > are undefined. What options do I need to enable? I am working
    > in devices/graphics, is that right?


    OK, I see the requisite options are in ACPI. I managed to
    get past the LED items, but I am still confounded by the
    backlight_device_register and unregister. I see they
    are used by the asus/thinkpad/toshiba drivers, but I
    don't seem to be able to find the switch that enables.

  13. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > OK, I see the requisite options are in ACPI. I managed to
    > get past the LED items, but I am still confounded by the
    > backlight_device_register and unregister. I see they
    > are used by the asus/thinkpad/toshiba drivers, but I
    > don't seem to be able to find the switch that enables.


    Device Drivers -> Graphics -> Backlight and LCD support

    You will need "Lowlevel Backlight Controls" enabled
    (CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE).

    -Carlos



  14. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:58:21 GMT, root wrote:

    >buck wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:05:51 GMT, root wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any ideas of how the identical module can be loaded
    >>>in FS and work, but not work in Slackware?

    >>
    >> The most likely reason is that there are parameters passed in FS that
    >> are absent in SL when the module is modprobed. However, you do not
    >> give enough information to know for certain. For example, what does
    >> lsmod say about forcedeth? And what happens when you run 'ip link set
    >> eth0 up'? How does eth0 get its IP? What is it connected to?
    >> --
    >> buck
    >>

    >
    >In both cases lsmod shows the forcedeth module present. Similarly
    >lscpi shows the same information under Freespire as in Slackware.
    >dmesg under Slack shows something possible: it says
    >eth0: forcedeth.c:subsystem 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0
    >which might mean that eth0 is brought up at that time.
    >
    >However that statement is followed by some ACPI stuff
    >including IRQ 19 disabled.
    >
    >I tried turning off ACPI in the kernel, but the system
    >wouldn't boot. As far as the ip link statement, it
    >returns SIOCGIFFLAGS:no such device. There is no
    >eth0. You can bring up eth0 without an IP address,
    >it is a hardware thing.


    You sitll did not answer all my questions...

    What does "it is a hardware thing" mean?

    Modprobe does not set the device UP, which I infer you believe it
    might: "which might mean that eth0 is brought up at that time". Nope.
    It should just create a device that can be brought up.

    ip link set eth0 up should, when lsmod shows forcedeth, bring the
    interface up - without an IP. Instead you got an error message
    indicating that the modprobe was not successful - because there is no
    eth0, according to "no such device".

    So modprobe failed.

    I strongly urge you to have a cable of known good quality plugged into
    the NIC on the computer with the other end connected to a known good
    switch / router / whatever device that does not require a crossover
    cable. 'modprobe -r forcedeth'. Then use 'insmod forcedeth' and
    watch the messages. If necessary, Ask Jeeves or Google for parameters
    to insmod for forcedeth.

    The disabled IRQ may not be (probably is not) fatal. To verify that,
    examine what happens under FS versus what happens under SL.
    --
    buck


  15. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    buck wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:58:21 GMT, root wrote:
    >
    >>buck wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:05:51 GMT, root wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Any ideas of how the identical module can be loaded
    >>>>in FS and work, but not work in Slackware?
    >>>
    >>> The most likely reason is that there are parameters passed in FS that
    >>> are absent in SL when the module is modprobed. However, you do not
    >>> give enough information to know for certain. For example, what does
    >>> lsmod say about forcedeth? And what happens when you run 'ip link set
    >>> eth0 up'? How does eth0 get its IP? What is it connected to?
    >>> --
    >>> buck
    >>>

    >>
    >>In both cases lsmod shows the forcedeth module present. Similarly
    >>lscpi shows the same information under Freespire as in Slackware.
    >>dmesg under Slack shows something possible: it says
    >>eth0: forcedeth.c:subsystem 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0
    >>which might mean that eth0 is brought up at that time.
    >>
    >>However that statement is followed by some ACPI stuff
    >>including IRQ 19 disabled.
    >>
    >>I tried turning off ACPI in the kernel, but the system
    >>wouldn't boot. As far as the ip link statement, it
    >>returns SIOCGIFFLAGS:no such device. There is no
    >>eth0. You can bring up eth0 without an IP address,
    >>it is a hardware thing.

    >
    > You sitll did not answer all my questions...
    >
    > What does "it is a hardware thing" mean?
    >
    > Modprobe does not set the device UP, which I infer you believe it
    > might: "which might mean that eth0 is brought up at that time". Nope.
    > It should just create a device that can be brought up.


    modprobe forcedeth creates eth0. That is the hardware
    thing. Whether or not eth0 is "UP" is another matter.


    The ethernet port is connected to a good line, to a good
    router. That isn't the problem. I can boot the machine
    with the Trinity rescue disk and the ethernet connection
    is connected to my lan.



    Here is a portion of dmesg:

    forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.59.
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LMAC] enabled at IRQ 22
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0a.0[A] -> Link [LMAC] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:0a.0 to 64
    forcedeth: using HIGHDMA

    This stuff is for wireless:

    ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
    ath_hal: 0.9.18.0 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
    wlan: 0.8.4.2 (0.9.3)
    ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.3)

    eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0

    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LAZA] enabled at IRQ 21
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:07.0[A] -> Link [LAZA] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:07.0 to 64
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LK4E] enabled at IRQ 19
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LK4E] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64
    wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)
    ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
    Adding 3911816k swap on /dev/sda2. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:3911816k

    This bothers me: I have an EXT2 FS on sda3:

    EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal

    input: PC Speaker as /class/input/input5
    input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse as /class/input/input6
    ACPI: WMI-Acer: Mapper loaded

    What is this?
    EXT2-fs warning (device sda1): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

    At this point eth0 is not available.


    I will follow this post up with a dmesg from a boot in which eth0 is
    available. I can't shut the machine down right now. I killed the
    Freespire partition since I can get eth0 from the Trinity disk
    and I can restore FS at any time. In the meantime I also tried
    Ark Linux and PCLinux, neither of which would get into the
    installation mode.

    Thanks for staying with me.

  16. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    >
    > Here is a portion of dmesg:
    >
    > forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.59.
    > ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LMAC] enabled at IRQ 22
    > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0a.0[A] -> Link [LMAC] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:0a.0 to 64
    > forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
    >
    > This stuff is for wireless:
    >
    > ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
    > ath_hal: 0.9.18.0 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
    > wlan: 0.8.4.2 (0.9.3)
    > ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.3)
    >
    > eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0
    >
    > ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LAZA] enabled at IRQ 21
    > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:07.0[A] -> Link [LAZA] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:07.0 to 64
    > ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LK4E] enabled at IRQ 19
    > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LK4E] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64
    > wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)
    > ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
    > Adding 3911816k swap on /dev/sda2. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:3911816k


    The Trinity boot spews out a lot more stuff in dmesg. Here is
    the first part of the forcedeth section:

    forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.60.
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LMAC] enabled at IRQ 23
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0a.0[A] -> Link [LMAC] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:0a.0 to 64
    forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
    eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0

    Please don't fixate on the version number of forcedeth.c. I have
    tried other kernels which use version 0.60 with the same result
    under Slackware.

    After logging in, if I do ifconfig under Slack I only see
    the lo entry. Under Trinity I see eth0, eth1, and lo entries.
    Since my router supports DHCP the eth0 entry has a valid
    IP address and I can communicate to the other machines on
    my lan.

    Another thing which my wife posted a few days ago:
    immediately after a new installation of Slack 12.
    on the very first boot into the new system, the
    eth0 interface is alive. On every other boot into
    that system eth0 is gone.

  17. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    On Wednesday 19 December 2007 15:16:50 you wrote:
    > Is it necessary to disable frame-buffer support to
    > get wireless to work? I can't get to backlight and
    > lcd support unless I disable fb.


    Enabling backlight support does not disable the framebuffer - if this is
    happening, then you need to look elsewhere in your .config for what is going
    wrong.

    > Even then, after building the modules, I still
    > get the unknown symbols when I modprobe acer_acpi.


    Which symbols are still unknown?

    > Why is the wireless support tied into the display?


    It's not - one of acer_acpi's functions is wireless, another is making the
    backlight available to userspace.

    > I don't know how to go from here. Can I go into
    > backlight.h and comment out the extern reference
    > to backlight_device_register? Or can I pull some
    > kernel code into your module to get around the
    > problem?


    You can comment out all of the backlight functions (both the ones internal
    to acer_acpi, and it's external calls to backlight_register()) if you want,
    that should let acer_acpi build without the backlight support.

    -Carlos


  18. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:27:52 GMT, root wrote:
    >eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0
    >
    >ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LAZA] enabled at IRQ 21
    >ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:07.0[A] -> Link [LAZA] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    >PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:07.0 to 64
    >ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LK4E] enabled at IRQ 19
    >ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LK4E] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    >PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64



    >wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)

    Can we be certain this is WiFi and has nothing to do with eth0? If
    we can't be 100% sure, then I'll do some checking with respect to HAL
    and forcedeth.

    >ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
    >Adding 3911816k swap on /dev/sda2. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:3911816k
    >
    >This bothers me: I have an EXT2 FS on sda3:
    >EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
    >EXT2-fs warning (device sda1): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

    Your /etc/fstab has incorrect info. Change sda3 line, column 3 to
    "ext3". That's because sda3 was formatted with an internal journal,
    and ext2 + internal journal = ext3.

    >At this point eth0 is not available.

    Based on the above, I sure do not see why. When forcedeth bound to
    the NIC, if it could not stay with it, it should show a zero in lsmod
    and there should be a message from the module saying it has a problem.
    --
    buck

  19. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:14:44 GMT, root wrote:

    >root wrote:
    >>
    >> Here is a portion of dmesg:
    >>
    >> eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0


    >The Trinity boot spews out a lot more stuff in dmesg. Here is
    >the first part of the forcedeth section:


    >eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0


    I think the above indicate that the module is finding the NIC, so it
    appears that something later on is making SL crap out. At this point,
    I have no idea what, but my suggestion to
    modprobe -r forcedeth
    and then
    insmod forcedeth
    and watch what insmod says still stands.

    One more thing because it is easy to do. Change
    /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf so that eth0 is given a static IP like
    192.168.1.1 with a gateway of 192.168.1.254 just to see if it "takes".
    It is very unlikely to work, but it is worth a shot.

    While you're in /etc/rc.d, have a look for rc.netdevice and if you
    find it, post its content.
    --
    buck

  20. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:14:44 GMT, root wrote:

    >root wrote:


    >Another thing which my wife posted a few days ago:
    >immediately after a new installation of Slack 12.
    >on the very first boot into the new system, the
    >eth0 interface is alive. On every other boot into
    >that system eth0 is gone.


    Is this the postings on 12/10 where author is root?

    I gathered from those that the bcm43xx module was the Bad Boy.

    Tip:
    During the install of SL, before running setup, type network and have
    it probe for your NIC. This is the process that creates rc.netdevice
    and the one or two times I've forgotten to do it I have regretted...
    --
    buck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast