Help: Slackware vs. Freespire - Slackware

This is a discussion on Help: Slackware vs. Freespire - Slackware ; buck wrote: > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:14:44 GMT, root wrote: > >>root wrote: > >>Another thing which my wife posted a few days ago: >>immediately after a new installation of Slack 12. >>on the very first boot into ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    buck wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:14:44 GMT, root wrote:
    >
    >>root wrote:

    >>Another thing which my wife posted a few days ago:
    >>immediately after a new installation of Slack 12.
    >>on the very first boot into the new system, the
    >>eth0 interface is alive. On every other boot into
    >>that system eth0 is gone.

    > Is this the postings on 12/10 where author is root?

    That post was about a different laptop. I first got
    an HP Pavillion and decided to return it. Now I have
    the Acer. The problem with the HP, all HPs I think,
    is that they use a Broadcom chipset for wireless,
    and Broadcom is not forthcoming about the chipset.
    Acer uses Atheros who support linux.

    It hasn't made much of a difference for me yet.

    > Tip:
    > During the install of SL, before running setup, type network and have
    > it probe for your NIC. This is the process that creates rc.netdevice
    > and the one or two times I've forgotten to do it I have regretted...
    > --
    > buck

    I just wiped out the Freespire installation in order to run an
    experiment on Slackware. I installed a new Slack 12, and
    as I reported the first time up I had eth0. I saved the
    dmesg. Then for the next 10 bootups, I started to kill whatever
    happened after forcedeth was loaded so that nothing happened
    after that module was loaded. After disabling all the modules
    I got to where forcedeth was the last thing that happened
    before I got to login. After all that eth0 was never enabled.
    A complete waste of two hours.

    I just started a new install and typed network before setup.
    It found the forcedeth module. Just as before, however,
    this new install had eth0 upon startup. But the second,
    and subsequent boots did not have eth0.

  2. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    > On Wednesday 19 December 2007 15:16:50 you wrote:
    >> Is it necessary to disable frame-buffer support to
    >> get wireless to work? I can't get to backlight and
    >> lcd support unless I disable fb.

    > Enabling backlight support does not disable the framebuffer - if this is
    > happening, then you need to look elsewhere in your .config for what is going
    > wrong.

    I have been using kernel 2.6.21. When I do make menuconfig
    for the kernel, I can't get to the backlight options
    unless I disable frame buffer support.

    > Which symbols are still unknown?

    backlight_device_register and backlight_device_unregister
    as I recall.

    > It's not - one of acer_acpi's functions is wireless, another is making the
    > backlight available to userspace.

    I finally figured that out. I can get wmi-acer to compile. I would
    like to turn the brightness down, but right now I am
    concentrating on getting wireless to work.

    > You can comment out all of the backlight functions (both the ones internal
    > to acer_acpi, and it's external calls to backlight_register()) if you want,
    > that should let acer_acpi build without the backlight support.
    >
    > -Carlos

    Back to wireless:

    I have built a kernel in which I can load the modules
    listed:
    modprobe wmi_acer
    modprobe ath_pci

    Here is the error result in dmesg:

    ACPI: WMI-Acer: Mapper loaded
    ath_hal: 0.9.18.0 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
    wlan: 0.8.4.2 (0.9.3)
    ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.3)
    PCI: Enabling device 0000:05:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LK4E] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64

    wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)
    ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled

    Now what? Google reveals this to be a common
    problem on earlier Acer models as well.

    The wireless chipset is AR5006EG, not included on the
    list above, but Atheros directed me to this version of madwifi,
    and the Madwifi wiki says the chip is supported.

    One of the google hits talked about a different method
    of calling up modules but that didn't work for me.
    I even tried to install Ark Linux which was supposed
    to work out of the box. It didn't install.

  3. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    buck wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:27:52 GMT, root wrote:
    >>eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 01025:0126 bound to 0000:00:0a.0
    >>
    >>ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LAZA] enabled at IRQ 21

    000.07.0 is the audio device.
    >>ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:07.0[A] -> Link [LAZA] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    >>PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:07.0 to 64
    >>ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LK4E] enabled at IRQ 19

    05:00 is the wireless device.
    >>ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LK4E] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    >>PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64

    >>wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)

    > Can we be certain this is WiFi and has nothing to do with eth0? If
    > we can't be 100% sure, then I'll do some checking with respect to HAL
    > and forcedeth.
    >
    >>ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
    >>Adding 3911816k swap on /dev/sda2. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:3911816k
    >>
    >>This bothers me: I have an EXT2 FS on sda3:
    >>EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
    >>EXT2-fs warning (device sda1): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

    > Your /etc/fstab has incorrect info. Change sda3 line, column 3 to
    > "ext3". That's because sda3 was formatted with an internal journal,
    > and ext2 + internal journal = ext3.

    I changed fstab. I told the install to use ext2.

    >>At this point eth0 is not available.

    > Based on the above, I sure do not see why. When forcedeth bound to
    > the NIC, if it could not stay with it, it should show a zero in lsmod
    > and there should be a message from the module saying it has a problem.

    lsmod shows:
    forcedeth 46344 0
    > --
    > buck

    Forcedeth was reversed engineered. Apparently the result was
    imperfect because in some cases it got the MAC address wrong.
    There is a patch which reverses the order of the bytes.
    Sometimes an error message is issued which says:
    "switching to a random MAC address". It is easy to
    correct the code in forcedeth when this happens since
    on any single machine it will either get the bytes
    right or not. Apart from that message, forcedeth has never
    issued any other.

  4. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > I have been using kernel 2.6.21. When I do make menuconfig
    > for the kernel, I can't get to the backlight options
    > unless I disable frame buffer support.

    Try disabling frame buffer then (it will generally interfere with your
    graphics chipset at the best of times), or use a newer kernel which doesn't
    have this restriction (I'm generally playing about with 2.6.23 or
    2.6.24-rc's at the moment, neither of which have this restriction).

    > I have built a kernel in which I can load the modules
    > listed:
    > modprobe wmi_acer
    > modprobe ath_pci

    You still need acer_acpi as well. wmi-acer talks to ACPI, and acer_acpi then
    talks to wmi-acer.

    > The wireless chipset is AR5006EG, not included on the
    > list above, but Atheros directed me to this version of madwifi,
    > and the Madwifi wiki says the chip is supported.

    It might not be - there are quite a few Atheros chips identifying themselves
    as the AR5006EG, but which actually aren't, and are not supported by
    madwifi.

    -Carlos

  5. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Richard James wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >
    >> I have been using kernel 2.6.21. When I do make menuconfig
    >> for the kernel, I can't get to the backlight options
    >> unless I disable frame buffer support.

    > Just a thought but maybe you two could share your kernel .config files then
    > you could compare them and see what needs to be checked unchecked.
    >
    > Richard James

    I just did a fresh install of Slack 12. I rebuilt the huge.smp
    kernel to support the different file types in the kernel
    instead of as modules. Using that kernel I can load
    the acer modules.

  6. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >> I have been using kernel 2.6.21. When I do make menuconfig
    >> for the kernel, I can't get to the backlight options
    >> unless I disable frame buffer support.

    > Try disabling frame buffer then (it will generally interfere with your
    > graphics chipset at the best of times), or use a newer kernel which doesn't
    > have this restriction (I'm generally playing about with 2.6.23 or
    > 2.6.24-rc's at the moment, neither of which have this restriction).

    As I just posted, I can get your modules to load after
    rebuilding the default huge.smp kernel from Slackware.
    I can't use 2.6.23 because the madwifi stuff from
    Atheros can't compile.

    >> I have built a kernel in which I can load the modules
    >> listed:
    >> modprobe wmi_acer
    >> modprobe ath_pci

    > You still need acer_acpi as well. wmi-acer talks to ACPI, and acer_acpi then
    > talks to wmi-acer.

    I see that acer_acpi loads wmi-acer so my sequence in
    rc.modules is:

    modprobe forcedeth
    modprobe acer_acpi
    modprobe ath_pci

    I still don't get either wired or wireless. The wireless
    failure message is the same:

    wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)
    ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled

    The wireless chipset is AR5006EG??

    > It might not be - there are quite a few Atheros chips identifying themselves
    > as the AR5006EG, but which actually aren't, and are not supported by
    > madwifi.
    >
    > -Carlos

    Now that I have acer_acpi loaded, what can I do with it?

    What else can I try to get wireless up?

    Thanks.

  7. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > I still don't get either wired or wireless. The wireless
    > failure message is the same:
    >
    > wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware didn't respond as expected'
    > (HAL status 3) ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
    >
    > The wireless chipset is AR5006EG??

    No, it's not - Atheros chips are notorious for having the wrong PCI-ID
    (MadWifi use some other tricks to detect the 'real' card ID).

    Google says it's an AR5007 with this laptop, which is currently _not_
    supported by MadWifi.

    -Carlos

  8. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:

    > I have been using kernel 2.6.21. When I do make menuconfig
    > for the kernel, I can't get to the backlight options
    > unless I disable frame buffer support.

    Just a thought but maybe you two could share your kernel .config files then
    you could compare them and see what needs to be checked unchecked.

    Richard James

  9. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >> I still don't get either wired or wireless. The wireless
    >> failure message is the same:
    >>
    >> wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware didn't respond as expected'
    >> (HAL status 3) ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
    >>
    >> The wireless chipset is AR5006EG??

    > No, it's not - Atheros chips are notorious for having the wrong PCI-ID
    > (MadWifi use some other tricks to detect the 'real' card ID).
    >
    > Google says it's an AR5007 with this laptop, which is currently _not_
    > supported by MadWifi.
    >
    > -Carlos

    Damn, I returned the HP because this chip had the Atheros which
    I thought was supported. BTW, in this new kernel it does say
    the chip is not supported instead of that "did't respond"
    message.

    From your experience how long will it take for a new version
    of madwifi to come out?

  10. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:30:22 +0000, root wrote:

    > From your experience how long will it take for a new version
    > of madwifi to come out?

    The newest version of madwifi is 0.9.3.3 from Oct. 17th 2007
    I had no problem compiling that with kernel 2.6.23.9
    I have mini-PCI card with a AR5212 chip and a CardBus card
    made/sold by Zyxel with the same chip.
    Older version did not compile.

    Good Luck
    Rudy

  11. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >> I still don't get either wired or wireless. The wireless
    >> failure message is the same:
    >>
    >> wifi%d: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware didn't respond as expected'
    >> (HAL status 3) ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
    >>
    >> The wireless chipset is AR5006EG??

    > No, it's not - Atheros chips are notorious for having the wrong PCI-ID
    > (MadWifi use some other tricks to detect the 'real' card ID).
    >
    > Google says it's an AR5007 with this laptop, which is currently _not_
    > supported by MadWifi.
    >
    > -Carlos

    Damn, madwifi just pulled a patch to the 0.9.3.3.3 version which
    would have supported the chip. It was only developed in the
    past few days. I will keep my eye out for it.

    Meanwhile, now that acer_pci is loaded, how do I use it?

  12. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    root wrote:
    > Meanwhile, now that acer_pci is loaded, how do I use it?

    To enable wireless, bluetooth, or mail LED:

    echo 1 > /proc/acpi/acer/ (where is one of those three).

    To disable them, change the '1' to a '0'.

    To change the backlight:

    echo X > /proc/acpi/acer/brightness

    Where 'X' is a value between either 0 to 9, or more often, 0 to 15.

    -Carlos

  13. Re: Help: Slackware vs. Freespire

    Carlos Corbacho wrote:
    > root wrote:
    >> Meanwhile, now that acer_pci is loaded, how do I use it?

    > To enable wireless, bluetooth, or mail LED:
    >
    > echo 1 > /proc/acpi/acer/ (where is one of those three).
    >
    > To disable them, change the '1' to a '0'.
    >
    > To change the backlight:
    >
    > echo X > /proc/acpi/acer/brightness
    >
    > Where 'X' is a value between either 0 to 9, or more often, 0 to 15.
    >
    > -Carlos

    Thanks Carlos. Right now my battery led is lit. I wanted to
    see whether I could tell if a wireless signal was present.
    I did the echo thing to wireless and turned off the
    wireless router but no change to the led.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2