network problem after adding some device - Slackware

This is a discussion on network problem after adding some device - Slackware ; I've recently installed a phone line which is based on some VOIP technology and requires a net connection. now my configuration is like this. the NIC on my PC goes into some adaptor that the phone company installed and from ...

  1. network problem after adding some device

    I've recently installed a phone line which is based on some VOIP
    technology and requires a net connection.
    now my configuration is like this. the NIC on my PC goes into some
    adaptor that the phone company installed and from that adapter into my
    cable modem.
    the former setup was NIC into modem with DHCP, son there was no
    problems there.
    I've tried some other distros (including FreeBSD) and there was no
    problem connecting to the internet.
    one thing i can tell you is that one of this distros showed my that my
    primary DNS is 10.100.101.1 (this is not my IP addres from my ISP, i
    have another, external one) so i figured that maybe if i'll define it
    on some config file, i could connect to the internet.
    any idea's where start looking?

  2. Re: network problem after adding some device

    Moti wrote:

    > I've recently installed a phone line which is based on some VOIP
    > technology and requires a net connection.
    > now my configuration is like this. the NIC on my PC goes into some
    > adaptor that the phone company installed and from that adapter into my
    > cable modem.
    > the former setup was NIC into modem with DHCP, son there was no
    > problems there.
    > I've tried some other distros (including FreeBSD) and there was no
    > problem connecting to the internet.
    > one thing i can tell you is that one of this distros showed my that my
    > primary DNS is 10.100.101.1 (this is not my IP addres from my ISP, i
    > have another, external one) so i figured that maybe if i'll define it
    > on some config file, i could connect to the internet.
    > any idea's where start looking?

    Try running netconfig and use the settings you think you should have.

    Have a look at the output of
    ifconfig

    and look at /etc/resolv.conf

    Richard James