Chosse session in XDM - Slackware

This is a discussion on Chosse session in XDM - Slackware ; Hi, How do I choose the session with the XDM login manager? I have TWM and XFCE installed. In runlevel 3, when I login as a user, I can fire up XFCE with 'startx', since I defined my window manager ...

  1. Chosse session in XDM

    Hi,

    How do I choose the session with the XDM login manager? I have TWM and
    XFCE installed. In runlevel 3, when I login as a user, I can fire up XFCE
    with 'startx', since I defined my window manager beforehand with
    'xwmconfig'. But when I switch to runlevel 4 in /etc/inittab, XDM fires
    up and wants to start TWM.

    Any idea where I can define the X session? I leafed through the files in /
    etc/X11/xdm, but to no avail, and unfortunately, the xdm manpage is
    written in some remote klingon slang.

    cheers,

    Niki

  2. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > How do I choose the session with the XDM login manager?

    I don't think it is possible to point and click to choose session with
    xdm. With kdm and gdm you can point and click to choose session.

    > I have TWM and XFCE installed. In runlevel 3, when I login as a user, I
    > can fire up XFCE with 'startx', since I defined my window manager
    > beforehand with 'xwmconfig'. But when I switch to runlevel 4 in
    > /etc/inittab, XDM fires up and wants to start TWM.

    Try to copy your .xinitrc to .xsession

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:36:35 +0100, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >> How do I choose the session with the XDM login manager?

    > I don't think it is possible to point and click to choose session with
    > xdm. With kdm and gdm you can point and click to choose session.

    If you don't need remote login through xdm, it's worth looking at slim as
    a login manager, which is very lightweight and has a simple session
    configuration.

    >> I have TWM and XFCE installed. In runlevel 3, when I login as a user, I
    >> can fire up XFCE with 'startx', since I defined my window manager
    >> beforehand with 'xwmconfig'. But when I switch to runlevel 4 in
    >> /etc/inittab, XDM fires up and wants to start TWM.

    > Try to copy your .xinitrc to .xsession

    That should work.

    Incidentally, even the kllingon manpages often list useful cross-
    references at the end of the page. Even the xdm page :-)

  4. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    Le Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:09:58 +0100, Mark South a √©crit¬*:

    > If you don't need remote login through xdm, it's worth looking at slim
    > as a login manager, which is very lightweight and has a simple session
    > configuration.

    Yeah, I know Slim, and I've been using it some time. Except it's supposed
    to run in runlevel 3. Never managed to get the thing to work correctly in
    runlevel 4. Which is a nuisance, when you have your users staring at a
    blinking screen when they log out. Or once in a while, Slim won't even
    fire up, and then there's just the console.

    But I just spent the best part of a cold grey day trying to get a nice
    configuration out of XDM, and heyyy, it's much better now. Even managed a
    nice background PNG with qiv. In short, it looks now like a North Korean
    edition of Mac OS X D

    > Incidentally, even the kllingon manpages often list useful cross-
    > references at the end of the page. Even the xdm page :-)

    As usual, I ended up reading the whole load of it anyway. One thing that
    confused me was that the config files in /etc/X11/xdm are hard-linked to /
    usr/lib/X11/xdm.

    cheers,

    Niki

  5. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    Bonjour encore, Niki.

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:34:12 +0000, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > Le Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:09:58 +0100, Mark South a √©crit¬*:
    >
    >> If you don't need remote login through xdm, it's worth looking at slim
    >> as a login manager, which is very lightweight and has a simple session
    >> configuration.

    > Yeah, I know Slim, and I've been using it some time. Except it's
    > supposed to run in runlevel 3. Never managed to get the thing to work
    > correctly in runlevel 4. Which is a nuisance, when you have your users
    > staring at a blinking screen when they log out. Or once in a while, Slim
    > won't even fire up, and then there's just the console.

    Your description does not gel with my experiences of using slim, but it's
    been a while, and my slackbox is now running kdm and KDE everything else
    too.

    > But I just spent the best part of a cold grey day trying to get a nice
    > configuration out of XDM, and heyyy, it's much better now. Even managed
    > a nice background PNG with qiv.

    You must have a lot of patience. If you had that kind of time and energy
    you could simply have themed twm to look like KDE :-)

    > In short, it looks now like a North
    > Korean edition of Mac OS X D

    >> Incidentally, even the kllingon manpages often list useful cross-
    >> references at the end of the page. Even the xdm page :-)

    > As usual, I ended up reading the whole load of it anyway. One thing that
    > confused me was that the config files in /etc/X11/xdm are hard-linked to
    > / usr/lib/X11/xdm.

    Oh don't, you're making me all nostalgic for the 20th century, when men
    were men, X was spelt with a capital letter, and configuration files were
    REAL configuration files.

    Mark
    --
    Signature warning: HIGHLY INEFFABLE!

  6. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    On 2007-12-17, Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How do I choose the session with the XDM login manager? I have TWM and
    > XFCE installed. In runlevel 3, when I login as a user, I can fire up XFCE
    > with 'startx', since I defined my window manager beforehand with
    > 'xwmconfig'. But when I switch to runlevel 4 in /etc/inittab, XDM fires
    > up and wants to start TWM.
    >
    > Any idea where I can define the X session? I leafed through the files in /
    > etc/X11/xdm, but to no avail, and unfortunately, the xdm manpage is
    > written in some remote klingon slang.

    Have a look at the actual content of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession.
    Once you look at the options of using $1 versus $HOME/.xsession
    (see lines 104-110), then you can decide which is best for you.

    -RW

  7. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    Le Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:48:36 +0100, Mark South a √©crit¬*:

    > You must have a lot of patience. If you had that kind of time and
    > energy you could simply have themed twm to look like KDE :-)

    Look ahead for some new distros I'm working on:

    - TWbuntu
    - FVWbuntu
    - Ratpobuntu

    The crowd will love it.

    Niki

  8. Re: Chosse session in XDM

  9. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 03:14:07 +1000, Richard James wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >>> As usual, I ended up reading the whole load of it anyway. One thing
    >>> that confused me was that the config files in /etc/X11/xdm are
    >>> hard-linked to / usr/lib/X11/xdm.

    >> Oh don't, you're making me all nostalgic for the 20th century, when men
    >> were men, X was spelt with a capital letter, and configuration files
    >> were REAL configuration files.

    > My old X programming books call it "X Window System". But I notice that
    > everyone nowdays calls it the X Windows System, which actually makes
    > more sense.

    Well, if you can draw one window you can draw more. We don't talk about
    the "brakes system" or the "suspensions system" on your car. So the
    first is better.

    > Sometimes new things are not all that bad after all. Take
    > directories vs folders for instance[1]. I would call them directories
    > anyday but the folder analogy makes far more sense that the directory
    > analogy.

    I still think of them as directories, but when I'm speaking out loud I
    always say "folder". Years of working with Mac and Windows people will
    do that to one :-)

  10. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    >> But I just spent the best part of a cold grey day trying to get a nice
    >> configuration out of XDM, and heyyy, it's much better now. Even managed
    >> a nice background PNG with qiv.

    > You must have a lot of patience. If you had that kind of time and energy
    > you could simply have themed twm to look like KDE :-)

    ....speaking of which, if you REALLY have lots of time and patience and a
    fetish for xdm, I think you *could* set it up so you could choose your
    session with a mouse click. You could write scripts to modify the
    session (on my box I could do it by changing what /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    points to, since my xdm ignores ~/.xsession, but I have no idea whether
    that's the right way or a profoundly stupid way to do it) and then call
    these via xmessage buttons defined in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0. You could
    even have them update xdm's background via /usr/bin/display or whatever,
    so it's nice and obvious what session you're about to enter (e.g. you
    could whack up your KDE wallpaper when the KDE button's pressed, or your
    XFCE wallpaper when that one's pressed, etc.).

    I haven't actually tried this (the modifying /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    part...I do have reboot and shutdown buttons in xdm) but don't see why
    it wouldn't work. Of course, it'd be a heck of a lot easier just to use
    kdm or gdm or qingy or whatever...

  11. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    Mark South wrote:

    >> As usual, I ended up reading the whole load of it anyway. One thing that
    >> confused me was that the config files in /etc/X11/xdm are hard-linked to
    >> / usr/lib/X11/xdm.

    > Oh don't, you're making me all nostalgic for the 20th century, when men
    > were men, X was spelt with a capital letter, and configuration files were
    > REAL configuration files.

    My old X programming books call it "X Window System". But I notice that
    everyone nowdays calls it the X Windows System, which actually makes more
    sense. Sometimes new things are not all that bad after all. Take
    directories vs folders for instance[1]. I would call them directories
    anyday but the folder analogy makes far more sense that the directory
    analogy.

    old) You store your files in this directory so that when you run your
    program it can load them from the directory.

    new) You store your files in this folder so that when you run your program
    it can load them from the folder.

    Most people associate directories as storage for information about people,
    places or businesses. Whereas most people associate folders with cardboard
    things you store your paper work in. It is easier to get a person trained
    in the business world to relate to the folder analogy. For instance your
    accounts are stored in this folder and your accounting program loads the
    accounting files out of that folder.

    Richard James
    [1] Probably started some stupid thread about naming conventions.

  12. Re: Chosse session in XDM

    Richard James wrote:
    >My old X programming books call it "X Window System". But I notice that
    >everyone nowdays calls it the X Windows System, which actually makes more
    >sense.

    I'm personally just going to stick with what the X man page says:

    # The X.Org Foundation requests that the following names be used when
    # referring to this software:
    #
    # X
    # X Window System
    # X Version 11
    # X Window System, Version 11
    # X11

    But, of course, everyone is free to do as they please.

    -Beej

+ Reply to Thread