switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW? - Slackware

This is a discussion on switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW? - Slackware ; I have installed Slack 12 with PS2 mouse but now I'd like to switch to serial. I found the script /var/log/setup/setup.mouse , which I ran tried ms msc bare but nothing. tried changing /dev/mouse->/dev/input/mice to point to /dev/input/mouse0 but that ...

  1. switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    I have installed Slack 12 with PS2 mouse but now I'd like to switch to serial.
    I found the script /var/log/setup/setup.mouse , which I ran
    tried ms msc bare but nothing.
    tried changing /dev/mouse->/dev/input/mice to point to /dev/input/mouse0
    but that always reverts to /dev/input/mice after reboot.
    after fiddling with these for a while and using minicom to set the serial port to 1200, I had the cursor moving after I ran /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm restart,
    but only until reboot ( and a break forgetting what just transpired. )

    So now I looked at /etc/rc.d/modules-2.6.21.5.smp
    (thought I chose non SMP kernel , at least the first time )
    which was probing for ps2mouse comented it out , uncomented modprobe sermouse, but after reboot lsmod still shows psmouse module loaded but no other mouse???

    Another odd thing is that serial 1 is not in the /proc/interrupts.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks Sam.

  2. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    sammy wrote:
    > I have installed Slack 12 with PS2 mouse but now I'd like to switch to
    > serial. I found the script /var/log/setup/setup.mouse , which I ran
    > tried ms msc bare but nothing.

    That script is mostly for configuring gpm. Gpm is a program which allows
    you to use the mouse for copy and paste in a text console. I don't think
    many people use gpm these days.

    > tried changing /dev/mouse->/dev/input/mice to point to /dev/input/mouse0
    > but that always reverts to /dev/input/mice after reboot.

    The reverting is probably done by udev. You could try to comment out a
    line in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

    # KERNEL=="mice", NAME="input/%k", MODE="0644", SYMLINK+="mouse"

    > after fiddling with these for a while and using minicom to set the
    > serial port to 1200, I had the cursor moving after I ran
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm restart, but only until reboot ( and a break forgetting
    > what just transpired. )

    So you really want to use gpm? If you only wan't the mouse to work in X
    you should also edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change mouse protocol.

    > So now I looked at /etc/rc.d/modules-2.6.21.5.smp (thought I chose non
    > SMP kernel , at least the first time ) which was probing for ps2mouse
    > comented it out , uncomented modprobe sermouse, but after reboot lsmod
    > still shows psmouse module loaded but no other mouse???
    >
    > Another odd thing is that serial 1 is not in the /proc/interrupts.

    I wasn't even aware there was such a module as sermouse. In the good old
    days when I used a serial mouse things was simple. /dev/mouse was a
    symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0 and the protocol was choosen in XF86Config.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > sammy wrote:
    >
    >>I have installed Slack 12 with PS2 mouse but now I'd like to switch to
    >>serial. I found the script /var/log/setup/setup.mouse , which I ran
    >>tried ms msc bare but nothing.

    > That script is mostly for configuring gpm. Gpm is a program which allows
    > you to use the mouse for copy and paste in a text console. I don't think
    > many people use gpm these days.

    This is probably not essential if you can't cut/paste between consoles,
    or can you? Totally forgot what it was for.

    >>tried changing /dev/mouse->/dev/input/mice to point to /dev/input/mouse0
    >>but that always reverts to /dev/input/mice after reboot.

    > The reverting is probably done by udev. You could try to comment out a
    > line in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
    >
    > # KERNEL=="mice", NAME="input/%k", MODE="0644", SYMLINK+="mouse"

    I never even looked at /dev/input/ prior to all this and only hoping
    mouse0 was a newly found device, although I should have looked at the
    creation date.

    >>after fiddling with these for a while and using minicom to set the
    >>serial port to 1200, I had the cursor moving after I ran
    >>/etc/rc.d/rc.gpm restart, but only until reboot ( and a break forgetting
    >>what just transpired. )

    > So you really want to use gpm? If you only wan't the mouse to work in X
    > you should also edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to change mouse protocol.
    >

    >>So now I looked at /etc/rc.d/modules-2.6.21.5.smp (thought I chose non
    >>SMP kernel , at least the first time ) which was probing for ps2mouse
    >>comented it out , uncomented modprobe sermouse, but after reboot lsmod
    >>still shows psmouse module loaded but no other mouse???
    >>
    >>Another odd thing is that serial 1 is not in the /proc/interrupts.

    > I wasn't even aware there was such a module as sermouse. In the good old
    > days when I used a serial mouse things was simple. /dev/mouse was a
    > symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0 and the protocol was choosen in XF86Config.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    /ttyS0 yes that makes sense and that's most likely what I did when it worked,
    if I can only figure out/remember how to use setserial to init the port to 1200
    at boot.

    So is modules-2.6.21.5.smp still useful for anything?
    Can't remember if my network card worked after install,
    but probably didn't even think of trying it.

    Thank you for the UDEV info.

  4. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Sambo wrote:
    > This is probably not essential if you can't cut/paste between consoles,
    > or can you? Totally forgot what it was for.

    It was a long time since I used gpm, but I don't think it was possible to
    copy between different text consoles.

    > /ttyS0 yes that makes sense and that's most likely what I did when it
    > worked, if I can only figure out/remember how to use setserial to init
    > the port to 1200 at boot.

    I don't think that I have even needed to use setserial to get a serial
    mose working. The baud rate should be set by the program opening the
    serial port. This program could be X.org or gpm. If you tell those
    programs to use the right protocol the will probably also set the right
    baud rate.

    > So is modules-2.6.21.5.smp still useful for anything?

    On my Slackware 12 systems I have both rc.modules-2.6.21.5 and
    rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp which are identical files. I also have a symbolic
    link called rc.modules which points to rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp as I run an
    SMP kernel. This seems a bit messy, you could think that a startup script
    calls rc.modules which should be a link to the right file. However it
    seems as if rc.S first calls /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-$(uname -r) and then if
    no such file exists falls back to rc.modules.

    My guess is that the ide is that even though rc.modules-2.6.21.5 and
    rc.modules-2.6.21.5-smp are identical files you have the possibility to
    customize them if you want to play with different kernels. The symbolic
    link rc.modules would be needed if you switch to another kernel with
    another version.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Sambo wrote:
    >> This is probably not essential if you can't cut/paste between consoles,
    >> or can you? Totally forgot what it was for.

    > It was a long time since I used gpm, but I don't think it was possible to
    > copy between different text consoles.

    I'm sure it was, and _is_, possible to copy between different text
    consoles.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  6. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > The reverting is probably done by udev. You could try to comment out a
    > line in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
    >
    > # KERNEL=="mice", NAME="input/%k", MODE="0644", SYMLINK+="mouse"

    I commented it out but now my mouse link is removed on boot .
    I guess I'll create it in rc.local

    Cheers.

  7. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Sambo wrote:
    > Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >

    >> The reverting is probably done by udev. You could try to comment out a
    >> line in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
    >> # KERNEL=="mice", NAME="input/%k", MODE="0644",
    >> SYMLINK+="mouse"
    >>

    > I commented it out but now my mouse link is removed on boot . I guess
    > I'll create it in rc.local
    > Cheers.

    That will be too late. In /etc/rc.d/rc.M gpm is started before rc.local
    is called, as shown by the following "tail".

    kees@lankhmar:~$ tail -n 17 /etc/rc.d/rc.M

    # Start the GPM mouse server:
    if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm ]; then
    . /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm start
    fi

    # If there are SystemV init scripts for this runlevel, run them.
    if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit ]; then
    . /etc/rc.d/rc.sysvinit
    fi

    # Start the local setup procedure.
    if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.local ]; then
    . /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    fi

    # All done.

    You'll need to modify /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm.
    Either create the link at the top of rc.gpm or modify the lines in
    the "restart" and the "default" sections to use /dev/ttyS0 instead
    of /dev/mouse.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  8. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Sambo wrote:
    > Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >> # KERNEL=="mice", NAME="input/%k", MODE="0644",
    >> SYMLINK+="mouse"

    > I commented it out but now my mouse link is removed on boot . I guess
    > I'll create it in rc.local

    I'm no expert on writing udev rules, but maybe it would help to write a
    new rule looking something like this:

    KERNEL=="ttyS0", NAME="tts/0", SYMLINK+="mouse", MODE="0644"

    Maybe you will also have to modify the existing rule

    KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="tts/%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="uucp",\
    MODE="0660"

    to look something like:

    KERNEL=="ttyS[1-9]*", NAME="tts/%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="uucp",\
    MODE="0660"

    But as I wrote before, I'm only guessing now and haven't tried this myself.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  9. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > I'm no expert on writing udev rules, but maybe it would help to write a
    > new rule looking something like this:
    >
    > KERNEL=="ttyS0", NAME="tts/0", SYMLINK+="mouse", MODE="0644"
    >
    > Maybe you will also have to modify the existing rule
    >
    > KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="tts/%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="uucp",\
    > MODE="0660"
    >
    > to look something like:
    >
    > KERNEL=="ttyS[1-9]*", NAME="tts/%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="uucp",\
    > MODE="0660"
    >
    > But as I wrote before, I'm only guessing now and haven't tried this myself.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    Lol, in the past, when I heard about kernel rules I though it was makefile related.
    I'll try to find out more about this file , but for now I'll probably stick to
    scripts.
    I have enough ghosts in this 16 interrupt , I810 infested machine, for now.
    One of those that reboots when USB stick is inserted.
    maybe it's time to

    shhhh well maybe I'll try it.
    Cheers

  10. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Kees Theunissen wrote:

    > You'll need to modify /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm.
    > Either create the link at the top of rc.gpm or modify the lines in
    > the "restart" and the "default" sections to use /dev/ttyS0 instead
    > of /dev/mouse.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kees.

    Oh, Thank you. That would probably take me another several hours to figure out, lol.

  11. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:53:24 -0500, Sambo wrote:

    >> You'll need to modify /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm. Either create the link at the
    >> top of rc.gpm or modify the lines in the "restart" and the "default"
    >> sections to use /dev/ttyS0 instead of /dev/mouse.

    > Oh, Thank you. That would probably take me another several hours to
    > figure out, lol.

    Shouldn't take but about 3 minutes, actually.

    Oh. Nevermind. You were probably right.

  12. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Sambo wrote:
    > Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >
    >> I'm no expert on writing udev rules, but maybe it would help to write a
    >> new rule looking something like this:
    >>
    >> KERNEL=="ttyS0", NAME="tts/0", SYMLINK+="mouse", MODE="0644"
    >>
    >> Maybe you will also have to modify the existing rule
    >>
    >> KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="tts/%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="uucp",\
    >> MODE="0660"
    >>
    >> to look something like:
    >>
    >> KERNEL=="ttyS[1-9]*", NAME="tts/%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="uucp",\
    >> MODE="0660"
    >>
    >> But as I wrote before, I'm only guessing now and haven't tried this
    >> myself.
    >>

    > shhhh well maybe I'll try it.
    > Cheers

    Well , the link is there, although it now complains that it already exists.
    After changing protocol in rc.gpm to ms the mouse is now alive even in console.

    But as I was afraid, new thing cropped up, even though network is initialized
    after it's been through fstab and my net share is marked "noauto" it asks
    for password for the samba share before or after GPM was started???
    I guess it's not that big problem if all kernel stuf is already running and the machine was something important as routing.

    FSTAB

    192.168.0.1/main-h /mnt/nshares/main-h smbfs noauto,rw,username=sambo 0 0

    MESSAGES
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: Capability LSM initialized
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb3: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb3: using ordered data mode
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb3: journal params: device hdb3, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb3: checking transaction log (hdb3)
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb3: Using r5 hash to sort names
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb6: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb6: using ordered data mode
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb6: journal params: device hdb6, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb6: checking transaction log (hdb6)
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: ReiserFS: hdb6: Using r5 hash to sort names
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found.
    Dec 21 01:54:04 LNX-P800 kernel: Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA probe: not found.
    Dec 21 01:54:07 LNX-P800 logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1: /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.8 broadcast 192.168.0.31 netmask 255.255.255.224
    Dec 21 01:54:07 LNX-P800 kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
    Dec 21 01:54:07 LNX-P800 logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1: /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 1
    Dec 21 01:54:07 LNX-P800 logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1: /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
    Dec 21 01:54:07 LNX-P800 logger: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1: /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
    Dec 21 01:54:09 LNX-P800 rpc.statd[2806]: Version 1.1.0 Starting
    Dec 21 01:54:19 LNX-P800 kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 10
    Dec 21 01:54:19 LNX-P800 kernel: lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    Dec 21 01:54:20 LNX-P800 sshd[2822]: Server listening on :: port 22.
    Dec 21 01:54:20 LNX-P800 kernel: Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
    Dec 21 01:54:28 LNX-P800 dnsmasq[2899]: started, version 2.39 cachesize 150
    Dec 21 01:54:28 LNX-P800 dnsmasq[2899]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-ISC-leasefile no-DBus I18N TFTP
    Dec 21 01:54:28 LNX-P800 dnsmasq[2899]: read /etc/hosts - 4 addresses
    Dec 21 01:54:42 LNX-P800 /usr/sbin/gpm[2987]: *** info [startup.c(95)]:
    Dec 21 01:54:42 LNX-P800 /usr/sbin/gpm[2987]: Started gpm successfully. Entered daemon mode.
    Dec 21 02:14:04 LNX-P800 -- MARK --
    ..

  13. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Sambo wrote:
    >> Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >>> I'm no expert on writing udev rules, but maybe it would help to write a
    >>> new rule looking something like this:

    >> shhhh well maybe I'll try it.

    > Well , the link is there, although it now complains that it already
    > exists.

    My guess is that you still try to create the link from some /etc/rc.d/rc.*
    and that file now complains as udev already has created the link.

    > But as I was afraid, new thing cropped up, even though network is
    > initialized after it's been through fstab and my net share is marked
    > "noauto" it asks for password for the samba share before or after GPM was
    > started???

    > 192.168.0.1/main-h /mnt/nshares/main-h smbfs noauto,rw,username=sambo 0
    > 0

    Odd, that line looks ok. Do you also get that password prompt if you as
    root do:

    mount -a -t smbfs

    ?

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  14. Re: switching from PS2 mouse to microsoft serial HOW?

    Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Sambo wrote:

    >>>shhhh well maybe I'll try it.

    >>Well , the link is there, although it now complains that it already
    >>exists.

    > My guess is that you still try to create the link from some /etc/rc.d/rc.*
    > and that file now complains as udev already has created the link.
    >

    >>But as I was afraid, new thing cropped up, even though network is
    >>initialized after it's been through fstab and my net share is marked
    >>"noauto" it asks for password for the samba share before or after GPM was
    >>started???

    >>192.168.0.1/main-h /mnt/nshares/main-h smbfs noauto,rw,username=sambo 0
    >>0

    > Odd, that line looks ok. Do you also get that password prompt if you as
    > root do:
    >
    > mount -a -t smbfs
    >
    > ?
    >
    > regards Henrik

    I think the file exists problem is gone.

    As for the mount , I usually type "mount -a" and enter the password,
    but I have been fiddling with my second linux comp since then, fruitlessly
    trying to make it into a router/gateway so no connection to the windows
    machine.

    At least both NICs are working again, sheesh.

    Happy new year.

+ Reply to Thread