ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12 - Slackware ; Hi, in Slackware 12 after loading firmware for ipw2200 wifi card i was able to use it in a stable way using open transmission. This time it happened to me I have to use it with WEP, which unexpectedly fails. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    Hi,

    in Slackware 12 after loading firmware for ipw2200 wifi card i was able to
    use it in a stable way using open transmission.

    This time it happened to me I have to use it with WEP, which unexpectedly
    fails.

    With iwconfig I set up essid, key, which is either provided as plain text
    or hex code; the card seem to associate corectly since the proper led
    indicates this and dmesg claim that WEP became registered protocol.

    Yet after dhcpcd eth1 network parameters are never obtained .
    iwlist claims WEP is not supported but WPA. True, ieee*wep* module is not
    loaded and when I try to do this manualy, it complains that WEP protocol
    is unregistered. Weired again, should not it work, since it is part of
    kernel?

    Anyway I wonder if anyone managed to use WEP with ipw2200 under
    Slackware12?

    Some people were having the same problems under different
    distros but they were configuration errors or no real solution was
    provided.

    As always thank you for any advice.

    --
    luk

  2. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:51:44 +0100, MrEvening wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > in Slackware 12 after loading firmware for ipw2200 wifi card i was able to
    > use it in a stable way using open transmission.
    >
    > This time it happened to me I have to use it with WEP, which unexpectedly
    > fails.
    >
    > With iwconfig I set up essid, key, which is either provided as plain text
    > or hex code; the card seem to associate corectly since the proper led
    > indicates this and dmesg claim that WEP became registered protocol.
    >
    > Yet after dhcpcd eth1 network parameters are never obtained .
    > iwlist claims WEP is not supported but WPA. True, ieee*wep* module is not
    > loaded and when I try to do this manualy, it complains that WEP protocol
    > is unregistered. Weired again, should not it work, since it is part of
    > kernel?
    >
    > Anyway I wonder if anyone managed to use WEP with ipw2200 under
    > Slackware12?
    >
    > Some people were having the same problems under different
    > distros but they were configuration errors or no real solution was
    > provided.
    >
    > As always thank you for any advice.

    I haven't used WEP. I have used open access, and WPA2 in preshared key
    mode, though. WPA is setup using wpa_supplicant. It looks like iwconfig
    does WEP without the wpa_supplicant, and that it should work AFAIK with
    something like this

    # iwconfig ethx ESSID "SOMEBASE"
    # iwconfig ethx key 0123-4567-89
    # dhcpcd -t 15 -d ethx

    Also, you might be interested in the kernel changelog for version
    2.6.23.9. This kernel addressed problems with the ipw2200 driver. This
    kernel is available in "-current"

    Also, I have set the rate using thisommand

    # iwconfig ethx rate 5.5M auto

    But sometimes it requires multiple tries with dhcpcd to get an IP address.
    This is probably due to a problem at the base station, though.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On 2007-12-16, MrEvening wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > in Slackware 12 after loading firmware for ipw2200 wifi card i was able to
    > use it in a stable way using open transmission.
    >
    > This time it happened to me I have to use it with WEP, which unexpectedly
    > fails.
    >
    > With iwconfig I set up essid, key, which is either provided as plain text
    > or hex code; the card seem to associate corectly since the proper led
    > indicates this and dmesg claim that WEP became registered protocol.
    >
    > Yet after dhcpcd eth1 network parameters are never obtained .
    > iwlist claims WEP is not supported but WPA. True, ieee*wep* module is not
    > loaded and when I try to do this manualy, it complains that WEP protocol
    > is unregistered. Weired again, should not it work, since it is part of
    > kernel?
    >
    > Anyway I wonder if anyone managed to use WEP with ipw2200 under
    > Slackware12?

    Yup, I use it, no problem at all. Much more solid for me than ipw3945
    cards.

    Why don't you write back with the output of
    iwconfig
    (as root, edit out your wireless password) and give the explicit
    commands you use with iwconfig to set up your config.

    Cheers.

    Jim

  4. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:04:33 -0700, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > Also, you might be interested in the kernel changelog for version
    > 2.6.23.9. This kernel addressed problems with the ipw2200 driver. This
    > kernel is available in "-current"
    >
    > Also, I have set the rate using thisommand
    >
    > # iwconfig ethx rate 5.5M auto
    >
    > But sometimes it requires multiple tries with dhcpcd to get an IP
    > address. This is probably due to a problem at the base station, though.

    AFAICT, dhcpcd does not play very nicely with wireless interfaces, and it
    seems especially difficult to get an IP address from a base station with
    hidden ESSID. It may be worth trying dhclient and seeing whether that
    makes a difference.

  5. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    Mark South wrote:

    > AFAICT, dhcpcd does not play very nicely with wireless interfaces, ...

    My experience is quite the opposite. I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop,
    now running Slackware-12.0 (with a custom-built Linux-2.6.23.1 kernel),
    and connecting daily to a (enterprise) wireless network via its built-in
    IPW2200 wireless interface. The DHCP server is locally installed (rather
    than the one supplied with the OS distribution) ISC-DHCP version 3.1.0
    on a Slackware-9.1 system, and dhcpcd (as shipped with Slackwatr-12.0)
    has no trouble at all getting addresses from it.

  6. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > Yup, I use it, no problem at all. Much more solid for me than ipw3945
    > cards.
    >
    > Why don't you write back with the output of
    > iwconfig
    > (as root, edit out your wireless password) and give the explicit
    > commands you use with iwconfig to set up your config.

    To begin with, I have never had any problems with dhcpcd, if they were,
    they were, they were always with buggy dhcp servers.

    Anyway, the sequence goes:

    iwconfig indicates as follows:

    Cell 01 - Address: 00:08:A1:A8:02A
    ESSID:"Exploris"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
    Mode:Master
    Channel:11
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Quality=77/100 Signal level=-52 dBm
    Extra: Last beacon: 64ms ago

    then

    iwconfig eth1 essid Exploris key s:BLAblaBLA

    which gives correct hex code:

    iwconfig once again

    eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Exploris" Nickname:"slacky"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
    00:08:A1:A8:02A
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
    Retry limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:3339-3735-3637-3437-4141-0000-00 Security
    modepen
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=77/100 Signal level=-52 dBm Noise level=-87 dBm

    finally:

    dhcpcd eth1

    And as a result no IP is assigned though wifi card stayed connected to AP

    dhcpcd debug looks like this:

    dmesg states as follows:
    ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'

    A bit puzzling to me is the fact that module ieee80211_crypt_wep is never
    loaded and dmesg somehow regonizes this protocol. Possibly another
    ieee80211 module handle this since modinfo ipw2200 does not mention WEP
    among supported protocols.

    Anyway I provided passphrase with and without s: option, tried to run
    dhcpcd with -r option.

    On the other hand I will give a different dhcp client a try since dhcpcd
    -d returns "timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response "

    --
    luk

  7. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:08:21 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >
    >> AFAICT, dhcpcd does not play very nicely with wireless interfaces, ...

    > My experience is quite the opposite. I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop,
    > now running Slackware-12.0 (with a custom-built Linux-2.6.23.1 kernel),
    > and connecting daily to a (enterprise) wireless network via its built-in
    > IPW2200 wireless interface. The DHCP server is locally installed
    > (rather than the one supplied with the OS distribution) ISC-DHCP version
    > 3.1.0 on a Slackware-9.1 system, and dhcpcd (as shipped with
    > Slackwatr-12.0) has no trouble at all getting addresses from it.

    I'm glad it is working for you. Since my anecdotal evidence conflicts
    with yours, I would advise anyone to try both and see which works better
    in a given situation. Certainly neither dhcpcd nor dhclient are
    foolproof.

    This is only hypothesis, but dhcpcd seems _to_me_ to be slightly more
    sensitive to timings, and wireless interfaces tend to have slightly
    slower responses when it comes to setting up and tearing down a
    connection. The reason I suspect this is because when I have used dhcpcd
    with a wireless interface, the timeout that I set seemed to make a
    difference to the success rate when it came to gettig an IP address. But
    that is strictly my impression coloured by my own experience, and I offer
    it as such.

    YMMV, no warranty express or implied, errors & omissions excepted, &c.

  8. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > This is only hypothesis, but dhcpcd seems _to_me_ to be slightly more
    > sensitive to timings,

    that's configurable

    > and wireless interfaces tend to have slightly slower responses when it
    > comes to setting up and tearing down a connection.

    It might be that your wifi driver is ****ty or alternativelly your router
    is.. I had a router that would do very stupid things on a DHCP request and
    most of the time dhclient would timeout. I replaced that with an
    Asus+OpenWRT and it works great.

    --
    damjan

  9. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:00:05 +0100, Damjan wrote:

    >> This is only hypothesis, but dhcpcd seems _to_me_ to be slightly more
    >> sensitive to timings,

    > that's configurable

    Hence my sentence including "the timeout that I set seemed to make a
    difference".

    >> and wireless interfaces tend to have slightly slower responses when it
    >> comes to setting up and tearing down a connection.

    > It might be that your wifi driver is ****ty or alternativelly your
    > router is..

    While I do appreciate an insult as much as the next man, the experiences
    I am relating are comparisons made on the same router(s) and network(s).

    That said, to a good approximation, all hardware is ****ty. This has
    been true for many years, although it was not always so.

    > I had a router that would do very stupid things on a DHCP
    > request and most of the time dhclient would timeout. I replaced that
    > with an Asus+OpenWRT and it works great.

    Recommendation noted. And as I said to Sylvain, I am glad it is working
    for you.

  10. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

  11. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:52:58 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > On 2007-12-17, Mark South wrote:
    >> While I do appreciate an insult as much as the next man

    > I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough
    > wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and
    > your father smelt of elderberries!

    Hee hee, I told him we already got one!

    >> That said, to a good approximation, all hardware is ****ty. This has
    >> been true for many years, although it was not always so.

    > I blame Dell and the quest for the $400 PC. I don't know when's the
    > last time I grabbed a NIC and it felt like a solid piece of equipment in
    > my hand. Ya know, NICs used to last forever, operate at their full
    > throughput, and never require a moment's thought. You bought a NIC for
    > $40, stuck it in a box, and you never considered that it might fail.
    > Things like that didn't fail! Now, you buy one for $15, it had a third
    > of the components on it, might not even negotiate duplex correctly, and
    > will die without any warning tomorrow, or next year.

    This is true of all but the heatsinks. I can toss any other component
    without feeling a thing, but I always feel sad to throw away those
    heatsinks.

    I feel an art project coming on....

  12. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On 2007-12-17, MrEvening wrote:

    >> Yup, I use it, no problem at all. Much more solid for me than ipw3945
    >> cards.
    >>
    >> Why don't you write back with the output of
    >> iwconfig
    >> (as root, edit out your wireless password) and give the explicit
    >> commands you use with iwconfig to set up your config.

    > Anyway, the sequence goes:
    >
    > iwconfig eth1 essid Exploris key s:BLAblaBLA
    >
    > which gives correct hex code:
    >
    > iwconfig once again
    >
    > eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"Exploris" Nickname:"slacky"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
    > 00:08:A1:A8:02A
    > Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
    > Retry limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption key:3339-3735-3637-3437-4141-0000-00 Security
    > modepen
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality=77/100 Signal level=-52 dBm Noise level=-87 dBm
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:40 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > finally:
    >
    > dhcpcd eth1
    >
    > And as a result no IP is assigned though wifi card stayed connected to AP
    >
    > dhcpcd debug looks like this:
    >
    > dmesg states as follows:
    > ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
    >
    > A bit puzzling to me is the fact that module ieee80211_crypt_wep is never
    > loaded and dmesg somehow regonizes this protocol. Possibly another
    > ieee80211 module handle this since modinfo ipw2200 does not mention WEP
    > among supported protocols.
    >
    > Anyway I provided passphrase with and without s: option, tried to run
    > dhcpcd with -r option.
    >
    > On the other hand I will give a different dhcp client a try since dhcpcd
    > -d returns "timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response "

    dhcpcd works fine for me. However, did trying another one do anything
    for you?

    One "grasping at straws" question... is your access point set to
    "open" key or "restricted" key. I have a vague recollection of having
    the wrong choice somewhere and getting associated to the access point,
    but I could not do anything from there.

    Maybe try
    iwconfig eth1 essid Exploris key s:BLAblaBLA restricted
    and then
    dhcpcd -d -t 10 eth1
    and see what it says.

    Another idea: does your access point have a MAC filter turned on, and,
    if so, did you put your wireless card's id in the list?

    Finally, what happens if you try
    ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.12
    ping 192.168.1.1
    assuming that the LAN is 192.168.1 and that your access point uses IP
    192.168.1.1.

    Let us know.

    Jim

  13. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > dhcpcd works fine for me. However, did trying another one do anything
    > for you?

    Not yet

    > One "grasping at straws" question... is your access point set to
    > "open" key or "restricted" key. I have a vague recollection of having
    > the wrong choice somewhere and getting associated to the access point,
    > but I could not do anything from there.

    > Maybe try
    > iwconfig eth1 essid Exploris key s:BLAblaBLA restricted
    > and then
    > dhcpcd -d -t 10 eth1
    > and see what it says.

    Sure I will give it a try- though IMHO this parameter is harmless and
    rather discribes what wifi card can see when you have plenty of wifi
    networks around

    --
    luk

  14. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > Maybe try
    > iwconfig eth1 essid Exploris key s:BLAblaBLA restricted
    > and then
    > dhcpcd -d -t 10 eth1
    > and see what it says.

    The same: timed out waiting for valid DHCP response.

    > Another idea: does your access point have a MAC filter turned on, and,
    > if so, did you put your wireless card's id in the list?

    I doubt it is hotel with wifi access to all guests

    > Finally, what happens if you try
    > ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.12
    > ping 192.168.1.1

    Nothing.

    I presume it must be WEP related problem, though for know i do not know
    much enough to figure it out.

    Checked once again translation of pass phrase to hex code. The passphrase
    is 10 signs, WEP is 64 bits and the resulting code made by iwconfig is
    HEX-code-0000-00 format . What kind of format is this number? MSB? Should
    it not
    be LSB (0000-0000-Hex_code)?

    --
    luk

  15. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On 2007-12-18, MrEvening wrote:

    >> dhcpcd works fine for me. However, did trying another one do anything
    >> for you?

    > Not yet

    >> One "grasping at straws" question... is your access point set to
    >> "open" key or "restricted" key. I have a vague recollection of having
    >> the wrong choice somewhere and getting associated to the access point,
    >> but I could not do anything from there.

    >> Maybe try
    >> iwconfig eth1 essid Exploris key s:BLAblaBLA restricted
    >> and then
    >> dhcpcd -d -t 10 eth1
    >> and see what it says.

    > Sure I will give it a try- though IMHO this parameter is harmless and
    > rather discribes what wifi card can see when you have plenty of wifi
    > networks around

    Assuming when you say "this parameter" you mean "restricted", your
    opinion conflicts with my observations.

    >> Another idea: does your access point have a MAC filter turned on, and,
    >> if so, did you put your wireless card's id in the list?
    >>
    >> Finally, what happens if you try
    >> ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.12
    >> ping 192.168.1.1
    >> assuming that the LAN is 192.168.1 and that your access point uses IP
    >> 192.168.1.1.

    Did you try this? I guess you'd have to know what network the access
    point is using.

    One other thought. Are you absolutely certain your firmware version
    is compatible with the 80211 version and so on? I don't recall about
    the ipw2200 specifically, but some wireless cards I've used are fussy
    that way.

    Jim

  16. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > Assuming when you say "this parameter" you mean "restricted", your
    > opinion conflicts with my observations.

    Yeah, restricted. Well, my understanding of "restricted" parameter is
    based on man iwconfig.

    > >> Another idea: does your access point have a MAC filter turned on, and,
    > >> if so, did you put your wireless card's id in the list?
    > >>
    > >> Finally, what happens if you try
    > >> ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.12
    > >> ping 192.168.1.1
    > >> assuming that the LAN is 192.168.1 and that your access point uses IP
    > >> 192.168.1.1.

    > Did you try this? I guess you'd have to know what network the access
    > point is using.

    I know IP of the ap. When I sniff around and turned on debug I found out,
    that dhcpcd is asking for a wrong IP or rather is asking on a wrong
    network: 192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.0.x. Anyway I pushed dhcpcd to
    broadcast for IP that is working under Windows, yet I was not lucky again.
    So aftermanual IP configuration the result was nothing after pinging ap
    (timed out).

    > One other thought. Are you absolutely certain your firmware version
    > is compatible with the 80211 version and so on? I don't recall about
    > the ipw2200 specifically, but some wireless cards I've used are fussy
    > that way.

    Well there might be the reason. I made sure of it right in the beginning I
    was using the latest firmware (3.0).

    AFAIR kernel driver is not the same as maintained at
    ipw2200.sourceforge.net. Whenever you download this driver it is
    recommended to recompile it with specific version of ieee80811, and this
    is what I have normally done (matching correct driver version and proper
    revision of the firmware and kernel). Since Slackware12 i decided to use
    distro
    kernel and not to spend hours of playing with bunch of weired hardware I
    have, cutting down kernel size for the sake of it.

    Anyway I wonder which driver are you using?

    Thank you for your help so far.

    --
    luk

  17. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:39:59 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    >> my hand. Ya know, NICs used to last forever, operate at their full
    >> throughput, and never require a moment's thought. You bought a NIC for
    >> $40, stuck it in a box, and you never considered that it might fail.
    >> Things like that didn't fail! Now, you buy one for $15, it had a third
    >> of the components on it, might not even negotiate duplex correctly, and
    >> will die without any warning tomorrow, or next year.

    > This is true of all but the heatsinks. I can toss any other component
    > without feeling a thing, but I always feel sad to throw away those
    > heatsinks.

    Heatsinks? On a NIC?

  18. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    MrEvening wrote:

    > ... When I sniff around and turned on debug I found out, that dhcpcd
    > is asking for a wrong IP or rather is asking on a wrong network:
    > 192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.0.x. ....

    No DHCPDISCOVER packet?

    The sequence I would expect in this case would be something like the
    following:

    dhcpcd sends: DHCPREQUEST 192.168.1.NNN
    server replies: DHCPNAK (wrong network)
    dhcpcd sends: DHCPDISCOVER
    server replies: DHCPOFFER 192.168.0.NNN
    dhcpcd sends: DHCPREQUEST 192.168.0.NNN
    server replies: DHCPACK

    The server would then also list various settings, such as default
    gateway, DNS servers, and probably other services as well.

  19. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:56:37 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:39:59 +0100, Mark South wrote:
    >
    >>> my hand. Ya know, NICs used to last forever, operate at their full
    >>> throughput, and never require a moment's thought. You bought a NIC
    >>> for $40, stuck it in a box, and you never considered that it might
    >>> fail. Things like that didn't fail! Now, you buy one for $15, it had
    >>> a third of the components on it, might not even negotiate duplex
    >>> correctly, and will die without any warning tomorrow, or next year.

    >> This is true of all but the heatsinks. I can toss any other component
    >> without feeling a thing, but I always feel sad to throw away those
    >> heatsinks.

    > Heatsinks? On a NIC?

    Hey, these are *serious* NICs we're talking about!

    No, not on a NIC, I was expanding the discussion slightly, apologies if
    getting on to heatsinks took it off topic :-)

    Actually, it might not be too long before USB wireless sticks start
    needing extra heatsinks, or maybe it's only mine that seem to get
    uncomfortably warm?

  20. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > No DHCPDISCOVER packet?
    >
    > The sequence I would expect in this case would be something like the
    > following:
    >
    > dhcpcd sends: DHCPREQUEST 192.168.1.NNN
    > server replies: DHCPNAK (wrong network)
    > dhcpcd sends: DHCPDISCOVER
    > server replies: DHCPOFFER 192.168.0.NNN
    > dhcpcd sends: DHCPREQUEST 192.168.0.NNN
    > server replies: DHCPACK

    Excellent description.

    In my case the communication looks like below; the first case is dhcpcd -d
    eth1:

    Dec 18 20:25:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for
    192.168.127.49 Dec 18 20:26:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: timed out waiting for
    DHCP_ACK response Dec 18 20:26:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: broadcasting
    DHCP_DISCOVER
    Dec 18 20:27:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
    server response

    And the second dhcpcd -d -s 192.168.0.71 eth1, which is suppose to be IP:

    Dec 18 20:28:06 slacky dhcpcd[3649]: broadcasting DHCP_INFORM for
    192.168.0.71
    Dec 18 20:29:06 slacky dhcpcd[3649]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
    server response

    So it looks like no communication from dhcp server.

    Anyway after all this iwconfig configuration and before askinf for IP,
    should wifi NIC be
    associated with any ap? Pardon me my foolish question but I do not have
    any other
    networks to check it. Anyway the ipw2200 card stays unassociated .

    --
    luk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast