Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On 2007-12-18, MrEvening wrote:

    >> No DHCPDISCOVER packet?
    >>
    >> The sequence I would expect in this case would be something like the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> dhcpcd sends: DHCPREQUEST 192.168.1.NNN
    >> server replies: DHCPNAK (wrong network)
    >> dhcpcd sends: DHCPDISCOVER
    >> server replies: DHCPOFFER 192.168.0.NNN
    >> dhcpcd sends: DHCPREQUEST 192.168.0.NNN
    >> server replies: DHCPACK

    > Excellent description.
    >
    > In my case the communication looks like below; the first case is dhcpcd -d
    > eth1:
    >
    > Dec 18 20:25:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for
    > 192.168.127.49 Dec 18 20:26:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: timed out waiting for
    > DHCP_ACK response Dec 18 20:26:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: broadcasting
    > DHCP_DISCOVER
    > Dec 18 20:27:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
    > server response
    >
    > And the second dhcpcd -d -s 192.168.0.71 eth1, which is suppose to be IP:
    >
    > Dec 18 20:28:06 slacky dhcpcd[3649]: broadcasting DHCP_INFORM for
    > 192.168.0.71
    > Dec 18 20:29:06 slacky dhcpcd[3649]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
    > server response

    > So it looks like no communication from dhcp server.

    > Anyway after all this iwconfig configuration and before askinf for
    > IP, should wifi NIC be associated with any ap?

    Yes, but in an earlier message you said you were getting associated.

    > Pardon me my foolish question but I do not have any other networks
    > to check it. Anyway the ipw2200 card stays unassociated .

    When you say "unassociated", is that what you really mean?
    Because you did say you were getting associated.

    Can you clear that up?

    If you are not associated, dhcp won't do anything for you.

    To avoid having dhcp try to use an old IP address, try
    rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1*
    before running dhcpcd

    Hmmm... in your very first message, I *now* see you said

    > Yet after dhcpcd eth1 network parameters are never obtained .
    > iwlist claims WEP is not supported but WPA. True, ieee*wep* module
    > is not loaded and when I try to do this manualy, it complains that
    > WEP protocol is unregistered. Weired again, should not it work,
    > since it is part of kernel?

    iwlist claims WEP is not supported? Tell me more. What option(s) did
    you use to iwlist and what is the actual output? If WEP is not
    supported by the access point you are going to have to try harder.
    See below (*).

    I just fired up my laptop with the ipw2200. I am using 2.6.21.6 with
    the stock ieee80211 and ipw2200. Here are my .config options:

    CONFIG_IPW2200=m
    CONFIG_IPW2200_MONITOR=y
    CONFIG_IPW2200_RADIOTAP=y
    CONFIG_IPW2200_PROMISCUOUS=y
    # CONFIG_IPW2200_QOS is not set
    # CONFIG_IPW2200_DEBUG is not set

    CONFIG_IEEE80211=m
    # CONFIG_IEEE80211_DEBUG is not set
    CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_WEP=m
    CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_CCMP=m
    CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_TKIP=m
    # CONFIG_IEEE80211_SOFTMAC is not set

    After giving the iwconfig command line, the dhcpcd worked with no problems.

    lsmod | egrep 'wep|ieee|ipw' outputs

    ipw2200 143988 0
    ieee80211 34760 1 ipw2200
    ieee80211_crypt_wep 5184 1
    crc32 4160 2 ieee80211_crypt_wep,pcmcia
    ieee80211_crypt 6016 2 ieee80211,ieee80211_crypt_wep
    firmware_class 9856 2 ipw2200,pcmcia

    Finally, ls -l /lib/firmware/ipw2200-bss.fw gives
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 191142 2007-07-07 16:30 /lib/firmware/ipw2200-bss.fw
    and sum /lib/firmware/ipw2200-bss.fw gives
    62796 187

    (*) Aside from the questions above whose responses might suggest
    something to someone following this, my last suggestion would be to
    install wpa_supplicant (I have 0.5.7). Here is a wpa.conf file that
    works for me with WEP.

    #This is a generated wpa_supplicant.conf file
    #Courtesy of gwifimon
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=0
    eapol_version=1
    ap_scan=1

    network={
    ssid="homessid"
    wep_key0=33333333333333333333333333
    wep_tx_keyidx=0
    auth_alg=SHARED
    key_mgmt=NONE
    scan_ssid=1
    eapol_flags=0
    }

    If you are, in fact, using an access point that needs WPA, you will
    need a different network block.

    I'm mostly running out of suggestions, but if you can answer the
    questions above maybe something will come to mind.

    Jim

  2. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    MrEvening wrote:

    > ... it looks like no communication from dhcp server.

    Agreed. Is the DHCP server built-in to the wireless access-point, or is
    it a separate system on the network? (sorry if you've already mentioned
    this ...)

    > Anyway after all this iwconfig configuration and before askinf for IP,
    > should wifi NIC be associated with any ap?

    Yes. The access-point won't forward packets on behalf of a client
    interface that has not completed associating with it (including any
    applicable form of authentication/authorization).

  3. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > Agreed. Is the DHCP server built-in to the wireless access-point, or is
    > it a separate system on the network? (sorry if you've already mentioned
    > this ...)

    I have no clue. This wifi network works in managed mode so it is composed
    of a few wifi devices.

    > > Anyway after all this iwconfig configuration and before askinf for IP,
    > > should wifi NIC be associated with any ap?

    > Yes. The access-point won't forward packets on behalf of a client
    > interface that has not completed associating with it (including any
    > applicable form of authentication/authorization).

    So i will check once again the whole configuration.

    --
    luk

  4. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    MrEvening wrote:

    >> Is the DHCP server built-in to the wireless access-point, or is it a
    >> separate system on the network? ...

    > I have no clue. This wifi network works in managed mode so it is
    > composed of a few wifi devices.

    Then you're most likely dealing with a separate DHCP server, rather than
    one built into the access points. Do you know what form of authentication
    the network is configured for?

  5. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > Then you're most likely dealing with a separate DHCP server, rather than
    > one built into the access points. Do you know what form of authentication
    > the network is configured for?

    Absolutely not . I was given WEP code which works perfect for Windows
    and no additional authentication is required.

    --
    luk

  6. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    MrEvening wrote:

    > ... I was given WEP code which works perfect for Windows and no
    > additional authentication is required.

    Then the same WEP key *should* work under Linux. Have you tried using
    wpa_supplicant to configure this? It ships with Slackware, and I've had
    (and am aware of others who also have had) excellent success with it.

  7. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:01:41 +0100, MrEvening wrote:

    > In my case the communication looks like below; the first case is dhcpcd
    > -d eth1:
    >
    > Dec 18 20:25:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for
    > 192.168.127.49
    > Dec 18 20:26:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: timed out waiting for DHCP_ACK
    > response
    > Dec 18 20:26:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER Dec 18
    > 20:27:35 slacky dhcpcd[3628]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server
    > response
    >
    > And the second dhcpcd -d -s 192.168.0.71 eth1, which is suppose to be
    > IP:
    >
    > Dec 18 20:28:06 slacky dhcpcd[3649]: broadcasting DHCP_INFORM for
    > 192.168.0.71
    > Dec 18 20:29:06 slacky dhcpcd[3649]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
    > server response

    I know nothing about this, but the first line of MrEvening's log excerpt
    differs from Sylvain's example of what should happen. It looks as though
    slacky already has an IP address (192.168.127.49), and it's not in the
    same block of addresses as he says his dhcp server is serving
    (192.168.0.x). It appears MrEvening is also specifying a specific IP
    address in his second dhcpcd command. Could these "pre-assigned" IP
    addresses be causing the problem?

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  8. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    Chick Tower wrote:

    > ... It looks as though slacky already has an IP address
    > (192.168.127.49), and it's not in the same block of addresses as he
    > says his dhcp server is serving (192.168.0.x). It appears MrEvening is
    > also specifying a specific IP address in his second dhcpcd command.
    > Could these "pre-assigned" IP addresses be causing the problem?

    If everything is functioning correctly, the requested IP addresses would
    not cause the problem being reported, but rather would simply result in
    the DHCP server returning a DHCPNAK response, on the basis that the
    requested address is on the wrong network. It looks in this case, as
    though the wireless interface has not completed association with the
    access point, and therefore the access point is not forwarding the DHCP
    requests onto the wired network.

  9. Re: ipw2200 WEP and Slackware 12

    > If everything is functioning correctly, the requested IP addresses would
    > not cause the problem being reported, but rather would simply result in
    > the DHCP server returning a DHCPNAK response, on the basis that the
    > requested address is on the wrong network. It looks in this case, as
    > though the wireless interface has not completed association with the
    > access point, and therefore the access point is not forwarding the DHCP
    > requests onto the wired network.

    Today I had the same problems under Windows: the hotel staff had to reboot
    as they said "router"- I could not obtain IP. The effect was pretty the
    same as under Linux.

    I guess we will never know for sure cause I am leaving tomorrow morning.

    Thanks to all who tried to help.

    --
    luk

+ Reply to Thread