Analogue video encoding in Slack 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Analogue video encoding in Slack 12.0 - Slackware ; Chaps, Not getting very far with mencoder at the moment. Transcode works but has clicky audio and I think the video is dropping frames. What do people use that works well? Any examples of recording in PAL would be appreciated. ...

  1. Analogue video encoding in Slack 12.0

    Chaps,

    Not getting very far with mencoder at the moment. Transcode works but has
    clicky audio and I think the video is dropping frames.

    What do people use that works well? Any examples of recording in PAL would
    be appreciated.

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Analogue video encoding in Slack 12.0

    Le Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:39:58 +0000, Peter Chant a √©crit¬*:

    > Chaps,
    >
    > Not getting very far with mencoder at the moment. Transcode works but
    > has clicky audio and I think the video is dropping frames.
    >
    > What do people use that works well? Any examples of recording in PAL
    > would be appreciated.

    HandBrakeCLI. Great app!

    Niki

  3. Re: Analogue video encoding in Slack 12.0

    Niki Kovacs wrote:

    >> What do people use that works well? Any examples of recording in PAL
    >> would be appreciated.

    > HandBrakeCLI. Great app!

    Thanks, but I don't think that can take input directly from a video 4 linux
    device. I'm looking at capturing analog video from my TV tuner card. For
    some odd reason it looks like I'm getting frames dropped on a 2.5 G
    athalon - not the latest and greatest but surely enough.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: Analogue video encoding in Slack 12.0

    Le Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:35:57 +0000, Peter Chant a √©crit¬*:

    > Niki Kovacs wrote:
    >
    >>> What do people use that works well? Any examples of recording in PAL
    >>> would be appreciated.

    >> HandBrakeCLI. Great app!

    > Thanks, but I don't think that can take input directly from a video 4
    > linux device. I'm looking at capturing analog video from my TV tuner
    > card. For some odd reason it looks like I'm getting frames dropped on a
    > 2.5 G athalon - not the latest and greatest but surely enough.

    You could also try VLC, which has a built-in encoder for every format
    under the sun. Take a peek at www.slackware.com/~alien for building that
    monster D

    Niki

  5. Re: Analogue video encoding in Slack 12.0

    Niki Kovacs wrote:

    > You could also try VLC, which has a built-in encoder for every format
    > under the sun. Take a peek at www.slackware.com/~alien for building that
    > monster D

    Cheers Niki. I've built things with a number of dependencies before. I
    could also try it on Ubuntu on another box.

    I've nearly got a (slow) solution to my original problem. I suspect that
    when encoding video from noisy VHS - PAL tapes the encoders can't keep up
    and frame and audio drop. I've recorded raw video at full resolution to
    disk with streamer,
    processed it a little with yuvdeinterlace and suchlike and encoded with
    mpeg2enc. Very slow process - not perfect as yet but almost works. Have a
    nice large 66G raw video file on disk right now! However, might want a
    more quick and dirty solution - I'm sure domestic DVD recorders don't go to
    this level of complexity.

    Think I need to find a multimedia group for the rest of my questions.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread