KDE 4. - Slackware

This is a discussion on KDE 4. - Slackware ; I want to upgrade to KDE 4 so that I can use the latest Krita. What is the least bloody and disruptive way to do the KDE upgrade on a standard Slack 12 distro? John C....

  1. KDE 4.

    I want to upgrade to KDE 4 so that I can use the latest Krita. What is
    the least bloody and disruptive way to do the KDE upgrade on a
    standard Slack 12 distro?

    John C.

  2. Re: KDE 4.

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I want to upgrade to KDE 4 so that I can use the latest Krita. What is
    > the least bloody and disruptive way to do the KDE upgrade on a
    > standard Slack 12 distro?

    You do *not* want to upgrade to KDE 4; its definitely not ready for
    prime time yet. You might want to try a KDE4 live CD first, to test
    drive Krita before going through the trouble of installing it.

    Here's how I'd upgrade Krita:
    - pick a nonstandard directory such as /opt/kde4
    - add /opt/kde4/bin to PATH
    - add /opt/kde4/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    - compile qt4, kdelibs, koffice libs, and krits; installing each to
    /opt/kde4
    - use KDE3 (or another window manager) to start Krita

    You could put everything in /usr/local instead of /opt/kde4; but two
    years from now, when Slack 12+X comes out with KDE4, it will be much
    simpler to blow away this nonstandard directory than to ferret it out
    from /usr/local. With /opt/kde4, its also easier to make one monster
    kde4-krita.tgz for installing on other computers (just tar up the
    whole directory).

    - Daniel

  3. Re: KDE 4.

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I want to upgrade to KDE 4 so that I can use the latest Krita. What is
    > the least bloody and disruptive way to do the KDE upgrade on a
    > standard Slack 12 distro?

    I have not done this but I believe you have to compile the whole thing.

    1) Do some research first

    http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/FAQ
    http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...are-12-606956/
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=11363

    2) Backup anything important before you begin

    3) You might want to do this on a test system and not a working system.

    Richard James

  4. Re: KDE 4.

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I want to upgrade to KDE 4 so that I can use the latest Krita. What is
    > the least bloody and disruptive way to do the KDE upgrade on a
    > standard Slack 12 distro?

    Latest stable is 1.6.3 which I am using now on the default KDE version on
    Slack 12. I downloaded and built the latest version of koffice which from
    memory was painless.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  5. Re: KDE 4.

    On 2007-12-15, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I want to upgrade to KDE 4 so that I can use the latest Krita. What is
    > the least bloody and disruptive way to do the KDE upgrade on a
    > standard Slack 12 distro?

    From what I can tell so far, there isn't one.

    I'm not going to make any promises that I'll finish, but I'm currently
    working on kde-3.97 (4.0rc2). I just finished up the minimum deps
    required for it (there are at least ten of them that aren't found in
    stock Slackware -current), and while kdelibs is 47% done at the moment,
    there's no guarantee that I have all of them.

    Long story short, if/when I finish, the packages will be for -current
    systems only, and even so, there's no guarantee that I'll make them
    available publicly -- unless I'm pretty sure the resulting packages
    work exactly as they're intended, this will likely be the last you
    hear of them :-)

    -RW

+ Reply to Thread