Installing Slackware from USB flash? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Installing Slackware from USB flash? - Slackware ; Hi folks, Is there a bootable USB flash version of the Slackware installation discs? I want to install on a system that has no optical drives but can boot a thumbdrive. Thanks....

  1. Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    Hi folks,

    Is there a bootable USB flash version of the
    Slackware installation discs? I want to install
    on a system that has no optical drives but
    can boot a thumbdrive.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:17:47 -0800, plenty900 wrote:

    > Is there a bootable USB flash version of the Slackware installation
    > discs?

    If there isn't, you can make your own.

    > I want to install on a system that has no optical drives but can
    > boot a thumbdrive.

    You should get a good start with your reading here:

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

  3. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:49:57 +0100, msm wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:17:47 -0800, plenty900 wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a bootable USB flash version of the Slackware installation
    >> discs?

    > If there isn't, you can make your own.
    >
    >> I want to install on a system that has no optical drives but can
    >> boot a thumbdrive.

    > You should get a good start with your reading here:
    >
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

    Mostly they seem to be talking about installing Linux on a flash drive. If
    I understand the OP correctly, he'd like to copy the installation media to
    a flash drive and install to hard drive from there - not quite the same
    thing.

  4. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    ray wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:49:57 +0100, msm wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:17:47 -0800, plenty900 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a bootable USB flash version of the Slackware installation
    >>> discs?

    >> If there isn't, you can make your own.
    >>
    >>> I want to install on a system that has no optical drives but can
    >>> boot a thumbdrive.

    >> You should get a good start with your reading here:
    >>
    >> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

    > Mostly they seem to be talking about installing Linux on a flash drive. If
    > I understand the OP correctly, he'd like to copy the installation media to
    > a flash drive and install to hard drive from there - not quite the same
    > thing.

    Yes but to get the installer running you first need to boot the slackware
    installer. Since the OP can't use optical media they would need to find
    some other way of doing it.

    In the past I have tried removing an optical drive temporarily from another
    machine and using that for the install and also pulling the HDD out of the
    target machine and installing Slackware inside another computer (this
    method can have problems with drive geometry sometimes because of BIOS
    differences).

    If he wants to install Slackware he will need some way to boot the installer
    even if that includes making a bootable flash version.

    Richard James

  5. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:17:47 -0800 (PST)
    plenty900@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Is there a bootable USB flash version of the
    > Slackware installation discs? I want to install
    > on a system that has no optical drives but
    > can boot a thumbdrive.
    >
    > Thanks.

    On the Slackware 12.0 install disk No. 2, there is a directory named usb-pxe-installers. The README file is very clear and will get you a bootable flash drive. You will just need to place the packages on some other storage medium (ex: another flash drive). I installed Slackware 12.0 on an Eee PC this way.

    --
    dmiller

  6. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    Everything works on the Eee PC under Slackware 12.0 with a few tweaks and driver downloads. I started a thread on the eeeuser forum about installing Slackware on the Eee, and between myself and a few others, we got everything figured out.

    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640

    I would definitely install a full distribution on the Eee if you are a veteran Linux user. The default Xandros install is not very good, and tweaking it just makes it unstable. Slackware has been responsive on the machine for me, and now I have a mini version of my desktop to take with me wherever.

    Also...the Eee PC is just freakin' cool. I have been using the thing more than my desktop since I got it. It is the perfect size for a mobile computer.

    --
    dmiller

  7. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    dmiller wrote:

    > Everything works on the Eee PC under Slackware 12.0 with a few tweaks and
    > driver downloads. I started a thread on the eeeuser forum about
    > installing Slackware on the Eee, and between myself and a few others, we
    > got everything figured out.
    >
    > http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640

    this is so cool. i eagerly awaiting the eeepc's release here in germany,
    and knowing i can put slackware on it makes me want to have one even
    more... ;-)

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  8. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:08:40 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > dmiller wrote:
    >
    >> Everything works on the Eee PC under Slackware 12.0 with a few tweaks
    >> and driver downloads. I started a thread on the eeeuser forum about
    >> installing Slackware on the Eee, and between myself and a few others,
    >> we got everything figured out.
    >>
    >> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640

    > this is so cool. i eagerly awaiting the eeepc's release here in germany,
    > and knowing i can put slackware on it makes me want to have one even
    > more... ;-)

    isn't it already here?
    http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/prod...otebooks/asus/
    entrynotebooks/asus_eee_pc_4g

    --
    i.

  9. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    Ivan Rajkovic wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:08:40 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:
    >> this is so cool. i eagerly awaiting the eeepc's release here in germany,
    >> and knowing i can put slackware on it makes me want to have one even
    >> more... ;-)

    > isn't it already here?
    > http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/prod...asus_eee_pc_4g

    it mentions a 10+ workday delivery time. that's two weeks. take
    christmas+new year into consideration, and you probably won't get the
    machine before january. amazon.de also lists it as pre-order. asus.de says
    it should come in the middle of december. (which, admittedly, is now. ;-)

    anyways, i still can't go into into media markt or saturn and pick one
    up. which is what i really want. ;-)

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  10. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:08:40 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > dmiller wrote:
    >
    >> Everything works on the Eee PC under Slackware 12.0 with a few tweaks
    >> and driver downloads. I started a thread on the eeeuser forum about
    >> installing Slackware on the Eee, and between myself and a few others,
    >> we got everything figured out.
    >>
    >> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640

    That was you? Great. I followed that thread for a while and was very
    pleased to see Slack working on that machine.

    Will it boot from the SD card slot, BTW? If I bought one I would
    consider leaving the default install "as is" for warranty purposes and
    putting Slack on a 4 or 8 GB card, if that can be done.

    > this is so cool. i eagerly awaiting the eeepc's release here in germany,
    > and knowing i can put slackware on it makes me want to have one even
    > more... ;-)

    They are already listed for order on Amazon.de at EUR 299. That's the 4G
    in black or white.

  11. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:35:52 +0100 (CET)
    msm wrote:

    > Will it boot from the SD card slot, BTW? If I bought one I would
    > consider leaving the default install "as is" for warranty purposes and
    > putting Slack on a 4 or 8 GB card, if that can be done.

    You can boot from any usb device or an sd card in the sd slot by setting it in the BIOS. You can also access a boot menu by hitting the Esc key on boot.

    If you have access to a windows machine, you can make a restore usb pendrive or sd card with a utility from the DVD. That way you can use the internal drive for your install, and restore it whenever you want (I tested this before I wiped the internal drive, and it works).

    --
    dmiller

  12. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    dmiller wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:17:47 -0800 (PST)
    > plenty900@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Is there a bootable USB flash version of the
    >> Slackware installation discs? I want to install
    >> on a system that has no optical drives but
    >> can boot a thumbdrive.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > On the Slackware 12.0 install disk No. 2, there is a directory named
    > usb-pxe-installers. The README file is very clear and will get you a
    > bootable flash drive. You will just need to place the packages on some
    > other storage medium (ex: another flash drive). I installed Slackware
    > 12.0 on an Eee PC this way.

    I'm considering buying a Eee machine but am worried about it not working
    with another Distro than the Xandros supplied one. How did it go
    functionality wise after you installed Slackware? Did you get all the
    hardware to work?

    I just want to use it as a wireless X terminal.

    Richard James

  13. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > dmiller wrote:
    >
    >> Everything works on the Eee PC under Slackware 12.0 with a few tweaks and
    >> driver downloads. I started a thread on the eeeuser forum about
    >> installing Slackware on the Eee, and between myself and a few others, we
    >> got everything figured out.
    >>
    >> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640

    > this is so cool. i eagerly awaiting the eeepc's release here in germany,
    > and knowing i can put slackware on it makes me want to have one even
    > more... ;-)

    I was shocked the other day when I saw it advertised in a Myer[1] catalogue.
    I was just browsing through the junk mail and on the front page beneath the
    Wii was the Eee for $499 AUD. I did not expect to see a Linux powered
    laptop in the catalogue.

    Now all I need is $499

    Richard James
    [1] They are like an expensive shop here because you are rich store.

  14. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    >> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2640

    > this is so cool. i eagerly awaiting the eeepc's release here in germany,
    > and knowing i can put slackware on it makes me want to have one even
    > more... ;-)

    This is the first time I have heard of this thing - very cool.

    - Kurt

  15. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, plenty900@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Is there a bootable USB flash version of the
    > Slackware installation discs? I want to install
    > on a system that has no optical drives but
    > can boot a thumbdrive.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Check the 'USB and PXe installers' directory on any mirror.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  16. Re: Installing Slackware from USB flash?

    On 14 dec, 23:17, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Is there a bootable USB flash version of the
    > Slackware installation discs? I want to install
    > on a system that has no optical drives but
    > can boot a thumbdrive.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi,

    Look here: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tools/usbinstall/12.0/ - it
    uses a local Slackware 12.0 package tree to build a bootable image
    that you
    can transfer to your thumb drive using "dd". The script supports all
    kinds of sizes of thumb drives (with a 256 MB USB stick you still get
    a bootable Slackware installer that allows you to install the 'a' 'ap'
    and 'n' series).
    If things remain unclear after reading the README, contact me in
    Freenode/##slackware (AlienBob).

    Google Groups post I know, but my ISP expired all posts on a.o.l.s.

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread