3d app in slack12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on 3d app in slack12 - Slackware ; I'm trying to run a couple 3D games in Slackware 12, but there freeze very often. Only the program freezes howerver. I noticed that if I run the games as root, then the are fine and do not freeze. So, ...

  1. 3d app in slack12

    I'm trying to run a couple 3D games in Slackware 12, but there freeze very
    often. Only the program freezes howerver. I noticed that if I run the
    games as root, then the are fine and do not freeze.

    So, it seems like root has access to something that my normal login name
    doesn't. Any idea?
    --
    lucas
    -------------------------

  2. Re: 3d app in slack12

    lucas wrote :

    > So, it seems like root has access to something that my normal login name
    > doesn't. Any idea?

    Do you have this section in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
    Section "dri"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: 3d app in slack12

    Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > lucas wrote :
    >
    >> So, it seems like root has access to something that my normal login name
    >> doesn't. Any idea?

    > Do you have this section in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
    > Section "dri"
    > Mode 0666
    > EndSection

    It wasn't there, so I added it and restarted X. It didn't make a
    difference.
    --
    lucas
    -------------------------

  4. Re: 3d app in slack12

    > I'm trying to run a couple 3D games in Slackware 12, but there freeze very
    > often. Only the program freezes howerver. I noticed that if I run the
    > games as root, then the are fine and do not freeze.
    >
    > So, it seems like root has access to something that my normal login name
    > doesn't. Any idea?

    maybe the games need more precise timers, and otherwise deadlock ?!?
    Try this
    echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq

    (a shot in the wild .. but)
    --
    damjan

  5. Re: 3d app in slack12

    Damjan wrote:

    >> I'm trying to run a couple 3D games in Slackware 12, but there freeze
    >> very
    >> often. Only the program freezes howerver. I noticed that if I run the
    >> games as root, then the are fine and do not freeze.
    >>
    >> So, it seems like root has access to something that my normal login name
    >> doesn't. Any idea?

    > maybe the games need more precise timers, and otherwise deadlock ?!?
    > Try this
    > echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
    >
    > (a shot in the wild .. but)

    That file is already set to 1024, so it doesn't work.

    Thanks,
    --
    lucas
    -------------------------

  6. Re: 3d app in slack12

    lucas wrote:

    > I'm trying to run a couple 3D games in Slackware 12, but there freeze very
    > often. Only the program freezes howerver. I noticed that if I run the
    > games as root, then the are fine and do not freeze.
    >
    > So, it seems like root has access to something that my normal login name
    > doesn't. Any idea?

    What games? Using wine/cedega/native?

  7. Re: 3d app in slack12

    Hi

    Am 14.12.2007 22:27, lucas schrieb:
    > I'm trying to run a couple 3D games in Slackware 12, but there freeze very
    > often. Only the program freezes howerver. I noticed that if I run the
    > games as root, then the are fine and do not freeze.

    Start the program glxgears by typing that in a terminal and send the
    messages you see there. Do the gears turn smoothly?

    Also enter glxinfo in a terminal and send the output. Most important
    line is "direct rendering: Yes"

    VR

  8. Re: 3d app in slack12

    Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Am 14.12.2007 22:27, lucas schrieb:
    >> I'm trying to run a couple 3D games in Slackware 12, but there freeze very
    >> often. Only the program freezes howerver. I noticed that if I run the
    >> games as root, then the are fine and do not freeze.

    > Start the program glxgears by typing that in a terminal and send the
    > messages you see there. Do the gears turn smoothly?
    >
    > Also enter glxinfo in a terminal and send the output. Most important
    > line is "direct rendering: Yes"
    >
    > VR

    DRI is not enabled for some drivers - such as ati/radeon (the mach64 kernel module is
    not present). So on these cards full 3D is not available in the stock slackware
    kernel.

    However, a more careful reading of the OP suggests a permission issue. If root can
    run 3D apps fine but a normal user can't, then its unlikely a driver or Xorg issue.

    The OP should check the logs (of any) to see if there is any kind of "access denied"
    message. As a user, the game may be trying to write (or read) a file it doesn't have
    access to. I have noticed that many linux games/ports installs seem to assume "root"
    and do not set permissions correctly.

  9. Re: 3d app in slack12

    Miguel De Anda wrote:
    > What games? Using wine/cedega/native?

    Native linux games. SuperTuxKart and Mania Drive. Also, Google Earth
    freezes up in the same manor. Root can run them all just fine.
    --
    lucas

+ Reply to Thread