Linux startup scripts - Slackware

This is a discussion on Linux startup scripts - Slackware ; Hello ! Hi thr .. im using slack 11 . with blackbox and xfce4-panle . But i have a small problem . Which is i do not know how to configure a startup script for linux . Other wise every ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Linux startup scripts

  1. Linux startup scripts

    Hello !
    Hi thr .. im using slack 11 . with blackbox and xfce4-panle . But i
    have a small problem . Which is i do not know how to configure a
    startup script for linux . Other wise every time i log in to my wm i
    have to run xfce4-panel plus the backgroung image command .. and other
    programs which i want the OS to start automatically . Please advise ..
    Thank you !!!
    Gayan

  2. Re: Linux startup scripts

    Le Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:35:15 -0800, lorenzu a √©crit¬*:

    > Hello !
    > Hi thr .. im using slack 11 . with blackbox and xfce4-panle . But i
    > have a small problem . Which is i do not know how to configure a startup
    > script for linux . Other wise every time i log in to my wm i have to run
    > xfce4-panel plus the backgroung image command .. and other programs
    > which i want the OS to start automatically . Please advise .. Thank you
    > !!!
    > Gayan


    Advice: install Slack 12.0. XFCE has gone a long way since 11.0.

    cheers,

    Niki (just finished building XFCE 4.4.2 D)

  3. Re: Linux startup scripts

    I hope Lorenzu is not italian because xfce4
    is bugged for the italian language....
    the Frenchmen can't lose

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:47:05 +0000, Niki Kovacs wrote:

    >
    > Advice: install Slack 12.0. XFCE has gone a long way since 11.0.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Niki (just finished building XFCE 4.4.2 D)



  4. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Richard James wrote:
    > lorenzu wrote:
    >
    >> Hello !
    >> Hi thr .. im using slack 11 . with blackbox and xfce4-panle . But i
    >> have a small problem . Which is i do not know how to configure a
    >> startup script for linux . Other wise every time i log in to my wm i
    >> have to run xfce4-panel plus the backgroung image command .. and other
    >> programs which i want the OS to start automatically . Please advise ..
    >> Thank you !!!
    >> Gayan

    >
    > Normally you would insert those commands into the .xinitrc file in your home
    > directory. They need to go before the window manager and some need to be
    > put as background processes using & for example I just ran xwmconfig select
    > xfce and then edited the .xinitrc file.
    >
    > Before the line that says # Run xfce4-session if installed
    >
    > I put
    >
    > xterm &
    > xterm &
    >
    > Now when I run X, xfce loads with two xterms in the background.
    >
    > You might have to fiddle a bit to get what you want running.


    Doesn't blackbox/xfce have its own rc file? With ratpoison, you just put:

    exec /usr/local/bin/ratpoison

    in your xinitrc and rp takes over from there.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  5. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-14, Tom N wrote:
    > Doesn't blackbox/xfce have its own rc file?


    Not blackbox. You need to add your clients to .xinitrc or
    ..xsession. (Don't know about xfce.)

    --keith


    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


  6. Re: Linux startup scripts

    Tom N wrote:

    > On 2007-12-15, Richard James wrote:
    >> lorenzu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello !
    >>> Hi thr .. im using slack 11 . with blackbox and xfce4-panle . But i
    >>> have a small problem . Which is i do not know how to configure a
    >>> startup script for linux . Other wise every time i log in to my wm i
    >>> have to run xfce4-panel plus the backgroung image command .. and other
    >>> programs which i want the OS to start automatically . Please advise ..
    >>> Thank you !!!
    >>> Gayan

    >>
    >> Normally you would insert those commands into the .xinitrc file in your
    >> home directory. They need to go before the window manager and some need
    >> to be put as background processes using & for example I just ran
    >> xwmconfig select xfce and then edited the .xinitrc file.
    >>
    >> Before the line that says # Run xfce4-session if installed
    >>
    >> I put
    >>
    >> xterm &
    >> xterm &
    >>
    >> Now when I run X, xfce loads with two xterms in the background.
    >>
    >> You might have to fiddle a bit to get what you want running.

    >
    > Doesn't blackbox/xfce have its own rc file? With ratpoison, you just put:
    >
    > exec /usr/local/bin/ratpoison
    >
    > in your xinitrc and rp takes over from there.


    As far as I have read the ~/.blackboxrc is not the place to put these things
    they go either in your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file right before blackbox
    is loaded.

    Blackbox's and Fluxbox's rc files seem to be for configuration of the WM
    only.

    I just used wmconfig to get a blackbox .xinitrc and in it I edited it from
    # Start the window manager:
    exec /usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox

    to
    # Start the window manager:
    rxvt &
    rxvt &
    xterm &
    firefox &
    exec /usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox

    and three terms open up and firefox loads on startup

    Richard James

  7. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-12-14, Tom N wrote:
    >> Doesn't blackbox/xfce have its own rc file?

    >
    > Not blackbox. You need to add your clients to .xinitrc or
    > .xsession. (Don't know about xfce.)


    Not a big deal, I did that with ratpoison until I got a handle
    on the rc file.

    I guess you could just put all the blackbox stuff in a seperate file,
    name it ~/.blackboxrc, and call that from xinitrc.

    Then it would have an official rc file! :-\

    Sure like the name "blackbox". Beats "ratpoison" all to hell.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  8. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Richard James wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:


    ....

    >> Doesn't blackbox/xfce have its own rc file? With ratpoison, you just put:
    >>
    >> exec /usr/local/bin/ratpoison
    >>
    >> in your xinitrc and rp takes over from there.

    >
    > As far as I have read the ~/.blackboxrc is not the place to put these things
    > they go either in your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file right before blackbox
    > is loaded.
    >
    > Blackbox's and Fluxbox's rc files seem to be for configuration of the WM
    > only.
    >
    > I just used wmconfig to get a blackbox .xinitrc and in it I edited it from
    > # Start the window manager:
    > exec /usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox
    >
    > to
    > # Start the window manager:
    > rxvt &
    > rxvt &
    > xterm &
    > firefox &
    > exec /usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox
    >
    > and three terms open up and firefox loads on startup


    You can do that with rp. Or you can put lines like this in your ratpoisonrc

    exec rxvt
    exec firefox

    It's better to configure the xterms a little, though:

    exec rxvt -ls -title foo -bg white -fg brown -cr black -sl 200 +sb -C

    -ls login shell
    -cr color of cursor
    -bg background color
    -fg color of font
    -sl number of lines in scrollback buffer
    -C display system messages
    +sb no scrollbar

    And if you want the xterm to run an app:

    exec rxvt -ls -title slrn +sb -e /usr/bin/slrn

    Then, though, if you kill slrn the xterm goes too.

    Must be a way around that, but I don't know it.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  9. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Tom N wrote:
    >
    > I guess you could just put all the blackbox stuff in a seperate file,
    > name it ~/.blackboxrc, and call that from xinitrc.


    No, you can't. .blackboxrc is the config file for blackbox, not a shell
    script. And blackbox is not meant to use a separate startup script:
    you're *supposed* to put blackbox into .xinitrc or .xsession.

    --keith

    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


  10. Re: Linux startup scripts

    lorenzu wrote:

    > Hello !
    > Hi thr .. im using slack 11 . with blackbox and xfce4-panle . But i
    > have a small problem . Which is i do not know how to configure a
    > startup script for linux . Other wise every time i log in to my wm i
    > have to run xfce4-panel plus the backgroung image command .. and other
    > programs which i want the OS to start automatically . Please advise ..
    > Thank you !!!
    > Gayan


    Normally you would insert those commands into the .xinitrc file in your home
    directory. They need to go before the window manager and some need to be
    put as background processes using & for example I just ran xwmconfig select
    xfce and then edited the .xinitrc file.

    Before the line that says # Run xfce4-session if installed

    I put

    xterm &
    xterm &

    Now when I run X, xfce loads with two xterms in the background.

    You might have to fiddle a bit to get what you want running.

    Richard James

  11. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Richard James wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> And if you want the xterm to run an app:
    >>
    >> exec rxvt -ls -title slrn +sb -e /usr/bin/slrn
    >>
    >> Then, though, if you kill slrn the xterm goes too.
    >>
    >> Must be a way around that, but I don't know it.

    >
    > The only way I can think of is to write a wrapper script like this
    > #!/bin/sh
    > /usr/bin/slrn
    > bash
    >
    > then
    > exec rxvt -ls -title slrn +sb -e /path/to/script/wrapperscript.sh
    >
    > This makes the term run the script
    > The script then runs slrn
    > When slrn exits the script goes to the next line and executes bash
    > leaving the user in a shell. If they exit the shell the xterm will close


    I'll put that in my shell notes.

    Very neat. Thanks.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  12. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-12-15, Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >> I guess you could just put all the blackbox stuff in a seperate file,
    >> name it ~/.blackboxrc, and call that from xinitrc.

    >
    > No, you can't. .blackboxrc is the config file for blackbox, not a shell
    > script. And blackbox is not meant to use a separate startup script:
    > you're *supposed* to put blackbox into .xinitrc or .xsession.


    Okay. You obviously know bb much better than I do.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  13. Re: Linux startup scripts

    Tom N wrote:

    > And if you want the xterm to run an app:
    >
    > exec rxvt -ls -title slrn +sb -e /usr/bin/slrn
    >
    > Then, though, if you kill slrn the xterm goes too.
    >
    > Must be a way around that, but I don't know it.


    The only way I can think of is to write a wrapper script like this
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/slrn
    bash

    then
    exec rxvt -ls -title slrn +sb -e /path/to/script/wrapperscript.sh

    This makes the term run the script
    The script then runs slrn
    When slrn exits the script goes to the next line and executes bash
    leaving the user in a shell. If they exit the shell the xterm will close

    Richard James

  14. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-12-15, Keith Keller wrote:
    >> On 2007-12-15, Tom N wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I guess you could just put all the blackbox stuff in a seperate file,
    >>> name it ~/.blackboxrc, and call that from xinitrc.

    >>
    >> No, you can't. .blackboxrc is the config file for blackbox, not a shell
    >> script. And blackbox is not meant to use a separate startup script:
    >> you're *supposed* to put blackbox into .xinitrc or .xsession.

    >
    > Okay. You obviously know bb much better than I do.


    No, I just read my .blackboxrc, and it was obviously not a shell script.

    --keith

    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


  15. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-12-15, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2007-12-15, Keith Keller wrote:
    >>> On 2007-12-15, Tom N wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> I guess you could just put all the blackbox stuff in a seperate file,
    >>>> name it ~/.blackboxrc, and call that from xinitrc.
    >>>
    >>> No, you can't. .blackboxrc is the config file for blackbox, not a shell
    >>> script. And blackbox is not meant to use a separate startup script:
    >>> you're *supposed* to put blackbox into .xinitrc or .xsession.

    >>
    >> Okay. You obviously know bb much better than I do.

    >
    > No, I just read my .blackboxrc, and it was obviously not a shell script.


    Yes, I have never used blackbox, and never seen a .blackboxrc and never
    read any docs on it or even seen a screenshot.

    So you obviously know bb much better than I do.

    That's been quite apparent to anyone with a functioning mind from the
    beginning of this conversation.

    I suggest a strong cup of coffee of two and maybe some deep-breathing
    exercises.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  16. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:51:29 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> No, I just read my .blackboxrc, and it was obviously not a shell script.


    > So you obviously know bb much better than I do.


    Everyone knows everything much better than you do.

    > That's been quite apparent to anyone with a functioning mind from the
    > beginning of this conversation.


    As is the fact that you're nothing more than the well-known Usenet troll
    and Netkook, "Alan Connor".

    > I suggest a strong cup of coffee of two and maybe some deep-breathing
    > exercises.


    Bugger off, whacko.

    > Tom


    You mean "Alan".


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  17. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-15, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:51:29 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> No, I just read my .blackboxrc, and it was obviously not a shell script.

    >
    >> So you obviously know bb much better than I do.

    >
    > Everyone knows everything much better than you do.
    >
    >> That's been quite apparent to anyone with a functioning mind from the
    >> beginning of this conversation.

    >
    > As is the fact that you're nothing more than the well-known Usenet troll
    > and Netkook, "Alan Connor".
    >
    >> I suggest a strong cup of coffee of two and maybe some deep-breathing
    >> exercises.

    >
    > Bugger off, whacko.


    You keep saying that.

    When are you going to make me?

    Right now, all you are doing is boring the hell out of everyone.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  18. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 02:25:59 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Bugger off, whacko.


    > You keep saying that.
    > When are you going to make me?


    I'm not, Alan. You're going to do that by yourself. But, I just might
    find the nearest Sasquatch and have him make you!

    Do you prefer to call him "Sasquatch", or "Bigfoot"?

    > Tom


    It's "Alan", Tom.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  19. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On 2007-12-16, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 02:25:59 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> Bugger off, whacko.

    >
    >> You keep saying that.
    >> When are you going to make me?

    >
    > I'm not, Alan. You're going to do that by yourself. But, I just might
    > find the nearest Sasquatch and have him make you!
    >
    > Do you prefer to call him "Sasquatch", or "Bigfoot"?
    >
    >> Tom

    >
    > It's "Alan", Tom.
    >
    >


    I'm still here.

    When are you going to make me go away?

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  20. Re: Linux startup scripts

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 03:34:13 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >>> You keep saying that.
    >>> When are you going to make me?


    >> I'm not, Alan. You're going to do that by yourself. But, I just might
    >> find the nearest Sasquatch and have him make you!


    > I'm still here.
    > When are you going to make me go away?


    OK, so you have reading comprehension problems, too. Look right up there
    above, Alan, where I said "I'm not...". Read it slowly.

    > Tom


    It's Alan, Tom.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast