slackware 4.0 with 3D rage XL - Slackware

This is a discussion on slackware 4.0 with 3D rage XL - Slackware ; Hello, This is with regards an installation of Slackware 4.0. I'm trying to install X on slackware 4.0 and it seems like the X server crashes. The graphics card is 3D Rage XL (on board) from ATI. I've tried setting ...

  1. slackware 4.0 with 3D rage XL

    Hello,

    This is with regards an installation of Slackware 4.0.

    I'm trying to install X on slackware 4.0 and it seems like the X
    server crashes.
    The graphics card is 3D Rage XL (on board) from ATI.

    I've tried setting the XF86config file with the following settings:
    1. SVGA and VGA settings for X server setup.
    2. ATI Rage II Mach64 settings for the video card.

    X server crashes with the message, invalid mode setting.

    Please let me know if anyone has tried slack 4.0 with rage XL or
    rage pro graphics cards.

    Best,
    Cartik

  2. Re: slackware 4.0 with 3D rage XL

    Hallo, cartik.sharma@gmail.com,

    Du meintest am 13.12.07:

    > This is with regards an installation of Slackware 4.0.

    Nice to see.
    Slackware 4.0 has been published on 17. May 1999.
    Why do you install this ancient version?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  3. Re: slackware 4.0 with 3D rage XL

    cartik.sharma@gmail.com wrote:
    > This is with regards an installation of Slackware 4.0.

    huh? are you sure you want to install such an old version?

    > X server crashes with the message, invalid mode setting.

    that suggests that you've specified the wrong resolution and/or
    horizontal/vertical refresh rates for your monitor. check X's log for any
    helpful hints (should be in /var/log/XFree86.0.log or something, that was
    different back then.)

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  4. Re: slackware 4.0 with 3D rage XL

    "cartik.sharma@gmail.com" wrote:
    > This is with regards an installation of Slackware 4.0.

    I don't have any Slackware 4 installation, but I still have 3.1 running on
    an old 486.

    > The graphics card is 3D Rage XL (on board) from ATI.
    >
    > I've tried setting the XF86config file with the following settings: 1.
    > SVGA and VGA settings for X server setup. 2. ATI Rage II Mach64 settings
    > for the video card.

    I think that the Rage series are newer than the Mach64 series from ATI.

    > X server crashes with the message, invalid mode setting.

    What does your Monitor, Device and Screen section look like in XF86Config?
    Also, X is a symbolic link to another binary. Does it link to XF86_Mach64?
    However, even if it does link to XF86_Mach64 I'm not sure if it is right
    as your card might be too new for that driver. Rage XL are rather new
    graphics chipsets mostly used in servers with built in graphics.

    > Please let me know if anyone has tried slack 4.0 with rage XL or rage
    > pro graphics cards.

    I also have an old Slackware 8.0 running on a machine with a Mach 64, that
    version of Slacware is newer than yours, but it still users XFree86 3.3.6
    instead of the newer more modular X.org used by newer Slackware. If I
    remember right the complete name of my graphics card is "ATI mach64
    graphics pro turbo" (gee that was impressive back then...).

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: slackware 4.0 with 3D rage XL

    cartik.sharma@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > This is with regards an installation of Slackware 4.0.
    >
    > I'm trying to install X on slackware 4.0 and it seems like the X
    > server crashes.
    > The graphics card is 3D Rage XL (on board) from ATI.
    >
    > I've tried setting the XF86config file with the following settings:
    > 1. SVGA and VGA settings for X server setup.
    > 2. ATI Rage II Mach64 settings for the video card.
    >
    > X server crashes with the message, invalid mode setting.
    >
    > Please let me know if anyone has tried slack 4.0 with rage XL or
    > rage pro graphics cards.

    I think I used one of these cards back in the 90's or was it a Diamond

    Can you please post your XF86Config file and your XFree86.0.log file

    And what are the specs for your monitor (horizontal and vertical refresh
    rates in Hertz)

    Slackware 4.0 used XFree86 3.3.3.1

    Slackware 9.0 used XFree-4.3.0
    you might find this later version of XFree has better support for your card.

    Since version 10.0 Slackware has used Xorg instead of XFree
    although Xorg is easier to use than XFree AFAIK it doesn't always do the
    best for older cards like the one you have.

    Richard James

+ Reply to Thread