Python bindings? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Python bindings? - Slackware ; Hi, I'm actually building a more recent version of exo. ./configure --help gives an --enable-python option, but the result tells me that "no Python bindings could be found." Q1: what's a binding? Q2: do I need it for something? For ...

  1. Python bindings?

    Hi,

    I'm actually building a more recent version of exo. ./configure --help
    gives an --enable-python option, but the result tells me that "no Python
    bindings could be found."

    Q1: what's a binding?

    Q2: do I need it for something? For example, run a Python app in XFCE?

    Lord, let thy thunder of wisdom strike through the veils of my ignorance,
    er, cheers.

    Niki

  2. Re: Python bindings?

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    > I'm actually building a more recent version of exo. ./configure --help
    > gives an --enable-python option, but the result tells me that "no Python
    > bindings could be found."
    >
    > Q1: what's a binding?

    A binding is an interface that allows programs written in one language
    (e.g. Python) to use libraries written in another (e.g. C/C++). If
    the bindings aren't being found (and you don't actually need them),
    the try running configure --disable-python.

    Search for "swig" for more info on a popular binding generator.

    > Q2: do I need it for something? For example, run a Python app in XFCE?

    Dunno. What's exo? Is it written in Python? If not, do you need to
    export exo's functionality to Python applications? Do you even have
    Python installed?

    - Daniel

+ Reply to Thread