Help make a wireless connection on an HP Pavilion - Slackware

This is a discussion on Help make a wireless connection on an HP Pavilion - Slackware ; I'm having a hard time trying to set up a new slack installation on an HP Pavilion 6605. Under Windows the machine connected to a wlan, but I can't get it to connect under linux. Dmesg revealed an attempt to ...

  1. Help make a wireless connection on an HP Pavilion

    I'm having a hard time trying to set up a new slack
    installation on an HP Pavilion 6605. Under Windows
    the machine connected to a wlan, but I can't get
    it to connect under linux. Dmesg revealed an attempt
    to use bcm43xx module, but a microcode firmware error
    resulted and the machine doesn't see any carrier.

    I have been trying changes to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
    but nothing has succeeded.

    Any guidance for setting up and HP notebook for
    wireless access would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Help make a wireless connection on an HP Pavilion

    On 2007-12-11, root wrote:
    > I'm having a hard time trying to set up a new slack
    > installation on an HP Pavilion 6605. Under Windows
    > the machine connected to a wlan, but I can't get
    > it to connect under linux. Dmesg revealed an attempt
    > to use bcm43xx module, but a microcode firmware error
    > resulted and the machine doesn't see any carrier.
    >
    > I have been trying changes to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
    > but nothing has succeeded.
    >
    > Any guidance for setting up and HP notebook for
    > wireless access would be appreciated.

    From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/bcm43xx.txt --

    Software
    --------

    Since the release of the 2.6.17 kernel, the bcm43xx driver has been
    distributed with the kernel source, and is prebuilt in most, if not
    all, distributions. There is, however, additional software that is
    required. The firmware used by the chip is the intellectual property
    of Broadcom and they have not given the bcm43xx team redistribution
    rights to this firmware. Since we cannot legally redistribute
    the firwmare we cannot include it with the driver. Furthermore, it
    cannot be placed in the downloadable archives of any distributing
    organization; therefore, the user is responsible for obtaining the
    firmware and placing it in the appropriate location so that the driver
    can find it when initializing.

    To help with this process, the bcm43xx developers provide a separate
    program named bcm43xx-fwcutter to "cut" the firmware out of a
    Windows or OS X driver and write the extracted files to the proper
    location. This program is usually provided with the distribution;
    however, it may be downloaded from

    http://developer.berlios.de/project/...?group_id=4547

    The firmware is available in two versions. V3 firmware is used with
    the in-kernel bcm43xx driver that uses a software MAC layer called
    SoftMAC, and will have a microcode revision of 0x127 or smaller. The
    V4 firmware is used by an out-of-kernel driver employing a variation of
    the Devicescape MAC layer known as d80211. Once bcm43xx-d80211 reaches
    a satisfactory level of development, it will replace bcm43xx-softmac
    in the kernel as it is much more flexible and powerful.

    A source for the latest V3 firmware is

    http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...a-3.130.20.0.o

    Once this file is downloaded, the command
    'bcm43xx-fwcutter -w '
    will extract the microcode and write it to directory
    . The correct directory will depend on your distribution;
    however, most use '/lib/firmware'. Once this step is completed,
    the bcm3xx driver should load when the system is booted. To see
    any messages relating to the driver, issue the command 'dmesg |
    grep bcm43xx' from a terminal window. If there are any problems,
    please send that output to Bcm43xx-dev@lists.berlios.de.

  3. Re: Help make a wireless connection on an HP Pavilion

    Robby Workman wrote:

    Thanks for your very helpful response.

    I had read that material and didn't comprehend
    it until your post. I followed through the
    fwcutter process and installed the driver
    material in /lib/firmware, appropriate for
    Slackware. Now the process gets farther,
    but still no connection. I get a fatal
    error:
    FATAL ERROR: BCM43xx_IRQ_XMIT_ERROR

    which seems to be common as a number of
    other people have posted similar results.

    A patch on the kernel driver software was
    inapplicable to the kernel I am using:2.6.21.5
    which comes with Slack 12.

  4. Re: Help make a wireless connection on an HP Pavilion

    On 2007-12-11, root wrote:

    > I had read that material and didn't comprehend
    > it until your post. I followed through the
    > fwcutter process and installed the driver
    > material in /lib/firmware, appropriate for
    > Slackware. Now the process gets farther,
    > but still no connection. I get a fatal
    > error:
    > FATAL ERROR: BCM43xx_IRQ_XMIT_ERROR
    >
    > which seems to be common as a number of
    > other people have posted similar results.

    If the device is detected properly but won't work due to this,
    then I don't know - I have very limited experience with bcm43xx,
    and that was quite some time ago. It's probably not anything
    you did (although no promises ) but rather a bug in the driver
    or elsewhere. Check with the official bcm43xx support places...

    -RW

  5. Re: Help make a wireless connection on an HP Pavilion

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:22:39 +0000, root wrote:

    > followed through the fwcutter process and installed the driver material
    > in /lib/firmware, appropriate for Slackware. Now the process gets
    > farther, but still no connection. I get a fatal error: FATAL ERROR:
    > BCM43xx_IRQ_XMIT_ERROR
    >
    > which seems to be common as a number of other people have posted similar
    > results.

    I have experienced IRQ errors with a wireless driver (not bcm43xx) and
    they turned out to be caused by an ACPI conflict.

    To check if that's the case here, you could try booting with acpi=off.

    > A patch on the kernel driver software was inapplicable to the kernel I
    > am using:2.6.21.5 which comes with Slack 12.

    It may also be worth building a current kernel and trying it, since the
    error is known and hence may have been fixed already.

    And a third thing to try: you could get the experimental b43 driver
    (you'll need a 2.6.24 kernel to go with it, IIRR) and see if that works
    for you.

+ Reply to Thread