hald eating up all my RAM - Slackware

This is a discussion on hald eating up all my RAM - Slackware ; Hi all, I'm having a problem with HAL's `hald' process on an Intel Celeron 500 MHz fileserver running Slackware 12.0 that I'm managing. The problem is that `hald' slowly keeps eating up more and more RAM over time. Right after ...

  1. hald eating up all my RAM

    Hi all,

    I'm having a problem with HAL's `hald' process on an Intel Celeron 500
    MHz fileserver running Slackware 12.0 that I'm managing.

    The problem is that `hald' slowly keeps eating up more and more RAM over
    time. Right after restarting it it'll consume 1.7% of the system's 192
    MiB of RAM + 384 MiB of swap. Three days later it'll consume about 20%.
    About a week after starting it, it'll use some 50%, meaning it has
    allocated more RAM than the machine has.

    Doing /etc/rc.d/rc.hald restart fixes it temporarily and makes it start
    all over again. I guess I could have it restarted it from a daily
    cronjob but that's fighting a symptom, not solving a problem.

    Any ideas?

    - Martijn

  2. Re: hald eating up all my RAM

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:22:39 +0100, Martijn Dekker wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm having a problem with HAL's `hald' process on an Intel Celeron 500
    > MHz fileserver running Slackware 12.0 that I'm managing.
    >
    > The problem is that `hald' slowly keeps eating up more and more RAM over
    > time. Right after restarting it it'll consume 1.7% of the system's 192
    > MiB of RAM + 384 MiB of swap. Three days later it'll consume about 20%.
    > About a week after starting it, it'll use some 50%, meaning it has
    > allocated more RAM than the machine has.
    >
    > Doing /etc/rc.d/rc.hald restart fixes it temporarily and makes it start
    > all over again. I guess I could have it restarted it from a daily
    > cronjob but that's fighting a symptom, not solving a problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > - Martijn

    Since I have fixed my server (referenced in the post below), hald seems
    to be working much better:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...441a09505b3db8

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: hald eating up all my RAM

    On 2007-12-10, Martijn Dekker wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm having a problem with HAL's `hald' process on an Intel Celeron 500
    > MHz fileserver running Slackware 12.0 that I'm managing.
    >
    > The problem is that `hald' slowly keeps eating up more and more RAM over
    > time. Right after restarting it it'll consume 1.7% of the system's 192
    > MiB of RAM + 384 MiB of swap. Three days later it'll consume about 20%.
    > About a week after starting it, it'll use some 50%, meaning it has
    > allocated more RAM than the machine has.
    >
    > Doing /etc/rc.d/rc.hald restart fixes it temporarily and makes it start
    > all over again. I guess I could have it restarted it from a daily
    > cronjob but that's fighting a symptom, not solving a problem.

    Well, if all this box is doing is functioning as a fileserver,
    I would disable HAL entirely - it serves no purpose for you.

    That being said, there were a lot of fixes in the hal release
    that's now in -current, so you might try building that version
    on your 12.0 box (be sure to build hal-info too - 0.5.10 requires
    the newer hal-info vice versa) [1]

    For the record, I've had a couple of boxes running extended periods
    of time on stock 12.0 -- my desktop was up for somewhere around 80
    days until last week -- and haven't noticed any issues. A detailed
    bug report *might* be useful, especially if you can narrow down a
    way to reproduce it reliably elsewhere, but the hal devs are going
    to want that done on the latest stuff from svn, I'm sure.

    [1] The idea with separating hal-info out from hal was that
    distributions could upgrade the hal-info package and get
    new most up to date device information files without having
    to upgrade hal itself -- for distributions like RHEL and
    such, this would be very nice -- however, it hasn't panned
    out that way. Big surprise, I suppose

    -RW

  4. Re: hald eating up all my RAM

    In article ,
    Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2007-12-10, Martijn Dekker wrote:

    [...]
    > > The problem is that `hald' slowly keeps eating up more and more RAM
    > > over time.

    [...]
    > Well, if all this box is doing is functioning as a fileserver,
    > I would disable HAL entirely - it serves no purpose for you.

    Well, it would be nice if it were possible in a user-friendly way (i.e.
    without manual mounting) for the owner to pop in a CD or DVD and copy
    its contents to the server directly, without having to use the network.

    > That being said, there were a lot of fixes in the hal release
    > that's now in -current, so you might try building that version
    > on your 12.0 box (be sure to build hal-info too - 0.5.10 requires
    > the newer hal-info vice versa) [1]

    Thanks, I've tried that. So far, so good -- in a few days to a week I'll
    know whether it helped.

    - Martijn

  5. Re: hald eating up all my RAM

    In article ,
    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > Since I have fixed my server (referenced in the post below), hald seems
    > to be working much better:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...441a09505b3db8

    Thanks, but since X does not normally run on this machine, that's
    probably not relevant to this problem.

    - Martijn

  6. Re: hald eating up all my RAM

    In article ,
    Martijn Dekker wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Robby Workman wrote:

    [...]
    > > That being said, there were a lot of fixes in the hal release
    > > that's now in -current, so you might try building that version
    > > on your 12.0 box (be sure to build hal-info too - 0.5.10 requires
    > > the newer hal-info vice versa) [1]

    > Thanks, I've tried that. So far, so good -- in a few days to a week I'll
    > know whether it helped.

    Nope, didn't help. After two days, hald from HAL 0.5.10 is already up to
    8.6% of total memory space. It started out at 2.0%.

    I'm stumped. AFAIK, I'm using the default configuration -- I didn't
    change anything. Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?

    - Martijn

  7. Re: hald eating up all my RAM

    On 2007-12-13, Martijn Dekker wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Martijn Dekker wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Robby Workman wrote:

    > [...]
    >> > That being said, there were a lot of fixes in the hal release
    >> > that's now in -current, so you might try building that version
    >> > on your 12.0 box (be sure to build hal-info too - 0.5.10 requires
    >> > the newer hal-info vice versa) [1]

    >> Thanks, I've tried that. So far, so good -- in a few days to a week I'll
    >> know whether it helped.

    > Nope, didn't help. After two days, hald from HAL 0.5.10 is already up to
    > 8.6% of total memory space. It started out at 2.0%.
    >
    > I'm stumped. AFAIK, I'm using the default configuration -- I didn't
    > change anything. Does anyone have any idea where to start looking?

    Well, crap.

    I've never used valgrind, so I honestly have no idea how to go about
    employing it, but supposedly this idea is its purpose:
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12...ment/valgrind/

    This is probably worth a mail to the hal mailing list:
    to see if the devs know of any existing leaks and get some other
    troubleshooting ideas.

    -RW

+ Reply to Thread