    --
    Cheers
    Res

    ~# radzap troll

  3. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > Has www.slackware.com simply disappeared? Their registered nameservers
    > cannot resolve the name.

    I'm not having any problems getting to it.

    - Kurt

  4. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    *had* issues, they are both back now
    previously they wouldnt respond for even thier own domain

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    ~# radzap troll

  5. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:11:53 +1000, Res wrote:

    > *had* issues, they are both back now
    > previously they wouldnt respond for even thier own domain

    That's why *two* DNS servers are required. Taking both of them down at
    the same time is really stupid.

  6. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:57:29 -0000, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >Has www.slackware.com simply disappeared? Their registered nameservers
    >cannot resolve the name.

    Works from here

    --Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  7. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:53:57 +1100, Grant wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 00:57:29 -0000, Dave Uhring
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Has www.slackware.com simply disappeared? Their registered nameservers
    >>cannot resolve the name.

    > Works from here

    Works here now, too. See 2d article in this thread by Res.

  8. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:11:53 +1000, Res wrote:
    >
    >> *had* issues, they are both back now
    >> previously they wouldnt respond for even thier own domain

    > That's why *two* DNS servers are required. Taking both of them down at
    > the same time is really stupid.

    Yes, but it might also have been their total data center that had an
    outage, thats one thing we dont know, as at the time, I did not know its
    IP to test that side of things

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    ~# radzap troll

  9. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    On 2007-12-10, Res wrote:

    > Yes, but it might also have been their total data center that had an
    > outage, thats one thing we dont know, as at the time, I did not know its
    > IP to test that side of things

    Nameservers are supposed to be on two different physical networks; it
    seems clear to me that CWO's are not. If nobody volunteers, perhaps
    I'll email Pat and see if he has plans for adding a nameserver on a
    different network.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  10. Re: Slackware.com DNS

    On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Keith Keller wrote:

    > On 2007-12-10, Res wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, but it might also have been their total data center that had an
    >> outage, thats one thing we dont know, as at the time, I did not know its
    >> IP to test that side of things

    > Nameservers are supposed to be on two different physical networks; it
    > seems clear to me that CWO's are not. If nobody volunteers, perhaps
    > I'll email Pat and see if he has plans for adding a nameserver on a
    > different network.

    What they are supposed to have and do have has always widely differed,
    especially for small companies, be they ISP/ASP/OSP's or just another
    commercial business carrying on its trade.

    What's worse is the scary number of them that in order to satisfy
    registrars, have primary and secondary on the same damn machine.
    Typical of RH users. We even offered a colo who we found out once did
    it to give him free secondary on one of ours, his reponse was typical of a
    RH'r "so do i get root?" my *thoughts (not said out loud was)*
    "you can get rooted" :P actual statement was *gigling* "umm no" he said,
    "oh ok, no thanks". *sigh* subsequently he had problems every week,
    because he was a tinkerer and managed to somehow drop his interfaces all
    the time or even firewall himself off haha, we tolerated him for about 2
    months before suggesting he should get someone competant to run his
    server He did not like being told that, but you knew that he knew we
    were right, a week later he did, and we never heard a peep out of them
    since.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    ~# radzap troll

  11. [OT] Interesting Name (was: Re: Slackware.com DNS)

    On 2007-12-10, Res wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >

    >> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:11:53 +1000, Res wrote:
    >>
    >>> *had* issues, they are both back now
    >>> previously they wouldnt respond for even thier own domain

    >> That's why *two* DNS servers are required. Taking both of them down at
    >> the same time is really stupid.

    > Yes, but it might also have been their total data center that had an
    > outage, thats one thing we dont know, as at the time, I did not know its
    > IP to test that side of things

    Interesting discussion. You have an interesting first name. I was wondering if
    your last name was something like: Titution? Ervation? Tive? Pect? Plendent? Cue? Ilient?
    Pectable? Ults? Toration? Erve? Olve?

    Just trying to make sense of it. Never come across that name anywhere. Seems like your
    parents must have had a sense of humor and a last name like the above.

    It's a cool name, don't get me wrong. Good strong sound. Just unusual.

    :-|

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43