new kernel 2.6.23.9 not working on inspiron 9300 - Slackware

This is a discussion on new kernel 2.6.23.9 not working on inspiron 9300 - Slackware ; the harddisk is recognized as /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda with kernel 2.6.21.5 Is there any way to change this ? a parameter to give to the kernel ?...

  1. new kernel 2.6.23.9 not working on inspiron 9300

    the harddisk is recognized as /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda with kernel
    2.6.21.5
    Is there any way to change this ? a parameter to give to the kernel ?

  2. Re: new kernel 2.6.23.9 not working on inspiron 9300

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:00:36 +0100, wcth wrote:

    >the harddisk is recognized as /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda with kernel
    >2.6.21.5
    >Is there any way to change this ? a parameter to give to the kernel ?

    Yes, yes.

    You give no information, perhaps you compiled in the obsolete sata
    driver instead of the current driver?

    Grant.

  3. Re: new kernel 2.6.23.9 not working on inspiron 9300

    Grant wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:00:36 +0100, wcth wrote:
    >

    >> the harddisk is recognized as /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda with kernel
    >> 2.6.21.5
    >> Is there any way to change this ? a parameter to give to the kernel ?
    >>

    > Yes, yes.
    >
    > You give no information, perhaps you compiled in the obsolete sata
    > driver instead of the current driver?
    >
    > Grant.

    I did not compile anything, I took the new kernel in slackware-current

  4. Re: new kernel 2.6.23.9 not working on inspiron 9300

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:00:36 +0100, wcth wrote:

    > the harddisk is recognized as /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda with kernel
    > 2.6.21.5
    > Is there any way to change this ? a parameter to give to the kernel ?

    I noticed this on a Latitude also. The kernel parameter is hda=noprobe

    The other difference is that cpu scaling is now managed by the
    acpi-cpufreq module.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: new kernel 2.6.23.9 not working on inspiron 9300

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:00:36 +0100, wcth wrote:
    >

    >> the harddisk is recognized as /dev/hda instead of /dev/sda with kernel
    >> 2.6.21.5
    >> Is there any way to change this ? a parameter to give to the kernel ?
    >>

    > I noticed this on a Latitude also. The kernel parameter is hda=noprobe
    >
    > The other difference is that cpu scaling is now managed by the
    > acpi-cpufreq module.

    Thank you very much. It works now

+ Reply to Thread