capturing sound - Slackware

This is a discussion on capturing sound - Slackware ; klee12 wrote: > Hello, > > I'm running Slackware 12.0 and have an Asus P4P800-e motherboard with > built in sound. I want to capture sound from the network. > > I connected to the sound source on the net ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: capturing sound

    klee12 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm running Slackware 12.0 and have an Asus P4P800-e motherboard with
    > built in sound. I want to capture sound from the network.
    >
    > I connected to the sound source on the net with Firefox. Then I
    > disconnected the line out jack from the speakers and plugged it into
    > the line in jack in the computer. I gave the command
    >
    > rec -d /dev/sound/audio cpt.wav
    >
    > as root and I got the error message
    >
    > ALSA lib pcm.c:2144snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM /dev/sound/
    > audio
    > sox: Failed reading /dev/sound/audio: cannot open audio device
    >
    > /dev/sound/audio does exist, by the way.
    >
    > What did I do wrong, or is the attempt fatally flawed. Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > klee12

    If you're using mplayer to get the audio stream try:
    mplayer -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:fast:waveheader:file=outfile.wav URL

    HIH

    --
    CE
    c.e@b.ae

  2. Re: capturing sound

    Thanks again for the replies.

    I think that Jessb has the easiest solution for me, namely using
    aumix. I tried it and it worked. BTW, can someone explain the
    difference between alsamixer and aumix. I was using alsamixer
    controls and couldn't record; maybe that was because I don't know
    about sound or mabe it was because aumix has functionality that
    alsamixer doesn't. Anyway I think my problems are solved for now.

    BTW. I'm getting a Mac laptop because I want a laptop, the Mac has
    better software than Microsoft IMHO, and it's much more secure, IMHO.
    It's more expensive, but I haven't found a Mac user who wasn't happy
    with their Mac . I was also told it handles multimedia better than
    Vista so I thought it might have the software I need, but Linux
    evidently also has it.

    Thanks again everyone

    klee12

+ Reply to Thread