linuxrc on ramdisk won't execute - Slackware

This is a discussion on linuxrc on ramdisk won't execute - Slackware ; I've got a custom ramdisk booting with syslinux, but I can't get the linuxrc to execute. Boot sequence is fine up to console init. I've got the linuxrc in /. I've toyed with boot params but that has no effect. ...

  1. linuxrc on ramdisk won't execute

    I've got a custom ramdisk booting with syslinux, but I can't get the
    linuxrc to execute. Boot sequence is fine up to console init. I've got
    the linuxrc in /. I've toyed with boot params but that has no effect.
    linuxrc is ugo executable.

    Any guesses?

  2. Re: linuxrc on ramdisk won't execute

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:01:28 -0800, kcolligan wrote:

    > I've got a custom ramdisk booting with syslinux, but I can't get the
    > linuxrc to execute. Boot sequence is fine up to console init. I've got
    > the linuxrc in /. I've toyed with boot params but that has no effect.
    > linuxrc is ugo executable.
    >
    > Any guesses?

    If you are using ramfs, then your startup program should be init, not
    linuxrc.

    With the old initrd format the following is generally true:

    1. initrd format uses a filesystem (say, ext2)
    2. kernel executes linuxrc by default,
    use kernel boot parameter linuxrc= to override
    3. linuxrc uses pivot_root

    With the new initrd format, the following is generally true:

    1. initrd format uses ramfs (made with cpio -H newc)
    2. kernel executes init,
    use kernel boot parameter rdinit= to override
    3. init uses switch_root

    --
    Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread