skype and sound - Slackware

This is a discussion on skype and sound - Slackware ; Hi, I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this problem esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a built in intel hda sound device which previously worked ok. Recently I installed skype and ...

  1. skype and sound

    Hi,
    I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this
    problem
    esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a
    built in
    intel hda sound device which previously worked ok.
    Recently I installed skype and a usb sound adapter (Imic). I
    have skype
    configured to use the usb device and I can get the test call to work
    ok. The
    problem is that once I got skype working the rest of my sound
    applications
    and devices stopped working.
    I have checked alsamixer and the installed modules and they
    are all ok
    (nothing is muted, etc). I can cat a sound file to the usb device but
    not
    to through the built in sound card (to which my speakers are
    attached). No
    sound application, except skype, works with either device. For
    example 'aplay sound_file ' or aplay -c 1 sound_file ' produce only
    silence, but 'cat sound_file >/dev/dsp1' produces static from the
    usb
    device.
    Lspci lists the built in sound card and lsusb lists the usb
    device.
    Rebooting and/or turning the computer off have no effect. I have had
    these
    results with another kernel in slack 12 and with a third kernel in
    slack
    11. During the boot process the speakers pop but that is the only
    sound I
    have been able to get out of them.
    The skype setting at present for sound in/out is: Imic usb
    audio system
    (plughw (or hw), 0). I cannpt get skype to work with the built in
    sound
    card.
    There may be a skype forum for this but I think it is a
    configuration
    problem and the gurus who listen here can help.
    Cheers, jwc

    Message posted via:
    =====================
    www.linuxpackages.net/forum
    www.linuxpackages.net
    Expanding the world of Slackware
    =====================

  2. Re: skype and sound

    jwc wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this
    > problem
    > esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a
    > built in
    > intel hda sound device which previously worked ok.
    > Recently I installed skype and a usb sound adapter (Imic). I
    > have skype
    > configured to use the usb device and I can get the test call to work
    > ok. The
    > problem is that once I got skype working the rest of my sound
    > applications
    > and devices stopped working.
    > I have checked alsamixer and the installed modules and they
    > are all ok
    > (nothing is muted, etc). I can cat a sound file to the usb device but
    > not
    > to through the built in sound card (to which my speakers are
    > attached). No
    > sound application, except skype, works with either device. For
    > example 'aplay sound_file ' or aplay -c 1 sound_file ' produce only
    > silence, but 'cat sound_file >/dev/dsp1' produces static from the
    > usb
    > device.
    > Lspci lists the built in sound card and lsusb lists the usb
    > device.
    > Rebooting and/or turning the computer off have no effect. I have had
    > these
    > results with another kernel in slack 12 and with a third kernel in
    > slack
    > 11. During the boot process the speakers pop but that is the only
    > sound I
    > have been able to get out of them.
    > The skype setting at present for sound in/out is: Imic usb
    > audio system
    > (plughw (or hw), 0). I cannpt get skype to work with the built in
    > sound
    > card.
    > There may be a skype forum for this but I think it is a
    > configuration
    > problem and the gurus who listen here can help.
    > Cheers, jwc
    >
    > Message posted via:
    > =====================
    > www.linuxpackages.net/forum
    > www.linuxpackages.net
    > Expanding the world of Slackware
    > =====================

    Hi,
    I don't know what is going on but I only submitted this message once, on
    Dec. 1. I don't know how to stop these repeated messages.
    Sorry, jwc

  3. Re: skype and sound

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:39:23 -0600, john connolly
    wrote:

    >jwc wrote:

    >Hi,
    > I don't know what is going on but I only submitted this message once, on
    >Dec. 1. I don't know how to stop these repeated messages.
    >Sorry, jwc

    Then I would suggest checking

    and/or

    > Message posted via:
    > =====================
    > www.linuxpackages.net/forum

    Scott McMillan

  4. Re: skype and sound

    Scott McMillan wrote:

    I have posted about this to the linuxpackages.net/forum page (which is the
    source of these repeat messages). I don't know
    how to contact the user-agent source you mention, google doesn't find it for
    me.
    jwc

  5. Re: skype and sound

    john connolly wrote:

    > I have posted about this to the linuxpackages.net/forum page (which is the
    > source of these repeat messages). I don't know
    > how to contact the user-agent source you mention, google doesn't find it
    > for me.
    > jwc

    The user-agent is the software used to post the message (look at your own
    headers.) In this case, it's a forum-to-news interface being run as a
    forum at linuxpackages.net. You've contacted them. There's nothing more
    you can do except contact them louder.

    --
    Old Man