Problems with speed !!! - Slackware

This is a discussion on Problems with speed !!! - Slackware ; Hello , I have been using linux distributions for some time trying to understand the whole concept of the linux project. I am not a computer professional .. but im still trying to get my way trough to become a ...

  1. Problems with speed !!!

    Hello ,
    I have been using linux distributions for some time trying to
    understand the whole concept of the linux project. I am not a computer
    professional .. but im still trying to get my way trough to become a
    programmer .. reading manual's and e-books i found on the
    internet .. But they dont seeem to support in understanding .. how
    softwares are designed ... ...
    -- wait .. Let me get to the question .. i was in the middle of
    studing a book on the basics of C++ .. .. I had my slackware box
    configure with xfce and all the stuff from the first CD.. but i was
    still missing the small games and the education programs that come
    bundled with KDE .. the reason is my small brother is intrested in
    those programs ... alot .. so i decided to install the KDE desktop ...
    It was quite nice but .. since then it had reduced speed of all my
    programms ... ( I have a old box .. 500Mhz with 192MB ram ... Thats
    all i could afford . So i need help in to configuring my
    system ... i do not have an internet connection at home either ..

    Basically what i need is to configure slackware to use xfce with the
    KDE programs / Konqueror but should optimize the speed .. Please
    advise how i can get my box running in top speed ...

    Also i need to remove unwanted programs .. like i dont want to have 5
    programs to edit text files .. another five to view PDF files ..
    etc .. Because i dnt have an internet line r a home network configure
    i dnt think i need the network utilities .. either .. please let me
    know how i could strip down my current system ..
    Thanx alot ...
    Gayan

  2. Re: Problems with speed !!!

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 06:03:42 -0800, lorenzu wrote:

    > Hello ,
    >

    > (I have a old box .. 500Mhz with 192MB ram ... Thats
    > all i could afford . So i need help in to configuring my
    > system ... i do not have an internet connection at home either ..
    >
    > Basically what i need is to configure slackware to use xfce with the
    > KDE programs / Konqueror but should optimize the speed .. Please
    > advise how i can get my box running in top speed ...
    >
    > Also i need to remove unwanted programs .. like i dont want to have 5
    > programs to edit text files .. another five to view PDF files ..
    > etc .. Because i dnt have an internet line r a home network configure
    > i dnt think i need the network utilities .. either .. please let me
    > know how i could strip down my current system ..
    > Thanx alot ...
    > Gayan

    Disk storage is cheap these days, but if you don't want, need, or have
    storage space for kde, then simply remove it with removepkg. If you need
    to know which packages are part of kde, then match
    installed packages (/var/log/packages) against its package directory
    ..../slackware/kde. This may require some simple "sed" manipulations to
    locate the matching packages. Another trick is to use this construct:

    # cd /home/slackware/kde
    # for i in $(find . -type f -name | grep "tgz$");do \
    upgradepkg --dry-run $i \
    done | grep -v "no installed"

    The output contains the information you want. It can be further
    manipulated to select the correct packages for removal. Also, if the kdei
    series is installed, then repeat for that package series, etc.

    If you want to switch your window manager back to xfce, then it is
    easiest to use pkgtool to reset the global preference. From pkgtool's
    main menu, select:

    "Setup Choose Slackware installation scripts to run again."

    Then select:

    [x] xmwmconfig Choose a default window manager for X.

    HTH

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Problems with speed !!!

    lorenzu wrote:
    > Hello ,
    > I have been using linux distributions for some time trying to
    > understand the whole concept of the linux project. I am not a computer
    > professional .. but im still trying to get my way trough to become a
    > programmer .. reading manual's and e-books i found on the
    > internet .. But they dont seeem to support in understanding .. how
    > softwares are designed ... ...
    > -- wait .. Let me get to the question .. i was in the middle of
    > studing a book on the basics of C++ .. .. I had my slackware box
    > configure with xfce and all the stuff from the first CD.. but i was
    > still missing the small games and the education programs that come
    > bundled with KDE .. the reason is my small brother is intrested in
    > those programs ... alot .. so i decided to install the KDE desktop ...
    > It was quite nice but .. since then it had reduced speed of all my
    > programms ... ( I have a old box .. 500Mhz with 192MB ram ... Thats
    > all i could afford . So i need help in to configuring my
    > system ... i do not have an internet connection at home either ..
    >
    > Basically what i need is to configure slackware to use xfce with the
    > KDE programs / Konqueror but should optimize the speed .. Please
    > advise how i can get my box running in top speed ...
    >
    > Also i need to remove unwanted programs .. like i dont want to have 5
    > programs to edit text files .. another five to view PDF files ..
    > etc .. Because i dnt have an internet line r a home network configure
    > i dnt think i need the network utilities .. either .. please let me
    > know how i could strip down my current system ..
    > Thanx alot ...
    > Gayan

    The stripping down is a chore, you have to talk to yourself VERY
    seriously what is the resulting system that is left on the box.
    You simple cannot strip down to include chance behaviour for other
    users. The final system is such that you either "take it or play
    somewhere else!"
    One of the best 'stripped' installs was proposed by Niki Kovacs some
    time ago and it was just <100 packages from the first CD of Slack12.
    Then you add to it whatever and have your install.
    Only then you start training it for the 100m dash.
    (Just a note: what is your typing speed when programming?. Do you still
    use the QWERTY or you are running on Dvorak kb.) It is those little
    things that make the diff. of 0.01 of a second.
    You just cannot take 'overweight' KDE and present it as Marion Jones on
    track.

    Consider.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw