Hi,
I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this
problem
esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a
built in
intel hda sound device which previously worked ok.
Recently I installed skype and a usb sound adapter (Imic). I
have skype
configured to use the usb device and I can get the test call to work
ok. The
problem is that once I got skype working the rest of my sound
applications
and devices stopped working.
I have checked alsamixer and the installed modules and they
are all ok
(nothing is muted, etc). I can cat a sound file to the usb device but
not
to through the built in sound card (to which my speakers are
attached). No
sound application, except skype, works with either device. For
example 'aplay sound_file ' or aplay -c 1 sound_file ' produce only
silence, but 'cat sound_file >/dev/dsp1' produces static from the
usb
device.
Lspci lists the built in sound card and lsusb lists the usb
device.
Rebooting and/or turning the computer off have no effect. I have had
these
results with another kernel in slack 12 and with a third kernel in
slack
11. During the boot process the speakers pop but that is the only
sound I
have been able to get out of them.
The skype setting at present for sound in/out is: Imic usb
audio system
(plughw (or hw), 0). I cannpt get skype to work with the built in
sound
card.
There may be a skype forum for this but I think it is a
configuration
problem and the gurus who listen here can help.
Cheers, jwc

Message posted via:
www.linuxpackages.net/forum
www.linuxpackages.net